Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it still possible to work in Austria as UK Ski Instructor?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have been trying to look through related threads but haven’t been able to find much so thought I’d ask here:

Is working as an instructor in Austria out of the question now for Brits with no EU passport that have never previously done a season?

Before covid, I was ready to sit BASI L2 and hoping to do a season in Austria. However, given the current situation I don’t see a point in sitting BASI 2 given it’s not worth much now and am wondering if there is even a point of taking the landes 1 route if it is still going to be tricky to get visa/work permit. Feels like such a waste doing all the training and prep for BASI 1&2 to not even be able to use it Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In short, if you already live in Austria and have residency documents, yes.

If not, then you would need a visa D which involves a firm job offer whereby the employer needs to prove that they have been unable to fill the post with Austrian or EU personnel.

Then of course you would need Anwärter or higher, BASI qualifications alone are insufficient (AFAIK).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also be aware that the visa D process can take up to 3 months and costs €150. For season start in December, applications would need to be made in person at the relevant Austrian embassy this month.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lski, Might be worth doing the Anwarter route as stated above. SIA offer courses and employment after that. Better book soon though, their courses are going fast. https://www.siaaustria.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjws4aKBhDPARIsAIWH0JV2E6GjUqCRiY_1eQ-pxkjFU2xqaLXZCgt6TjGYF8NHoXRfefDRDqkaAvhcEALw_wcB
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I reckon it will remain pretty difficult until the ski schools discover that they can't get the English speaking instructors. Then there'll be a typical Austrian finangle (however that will work).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@joffy69, instructors from Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, etc. all speak some English already. And of course because most visitors are from Germany and Austria, those lessons are conducted in German. For Anwärter you need German and one other language (usually English).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@joffy69, there is a very high level of proficiency in English around here, especially anyone under 40. Most kindergartens have their own English teacher. Austria will be the same. That certainly wont be a reason for applying for a Visa.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@joffy69, nearly all of the younger Austrian instructors speak English, all of our local instructors that teach adults speak English. All of the Dutch instructors speak perfect English, all of the German instructors that I have worked with speak good English or American. One German guy who worked for us spoke like a Disney cartoon, wonder where he got his linguistic skills from wink .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris_n wrote:
One German guy who worked for us spoke like a Disney cartoon, wonder where he got his linguistic skills from wink .
From watching Disney cartoon? Laughing

That said, I've noticed immigrants who were taken out of their birth country at young age also speak their birth language like a child, as that's the bulk of vocabulary they retain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only pointing out that English instructors are only needed for English speakers, and, until there's a need, there won't be any push back against the regs. I did the Anwarter 30 years ago, and at the time taught mainly Dutch school kids, who, although speaking pretty good german, refused to. Plenty of Oz and Kiwi instructors at that time as well, and they will all have needed visas, so it was certainly possible in the past. Remember, the market is for "completely fluent English lessons" not "just about understandable English lessons". I wasn't being employed to teach anyone but English and Dutch, and, if they'd had Dutch instructors it would only have been English.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the responses everyone. god it’s depressing knowing that it is going to be very difficult/impossible to find work in EU, I’m sure there are many other aspiring instructors feeling the same rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wouldn't take that from the current situation. The ski instruction market will employ those that fill "the need". At the moment the EU is able and willing to stop UK instructors. When ski schools start losing business they'll put pressure to change regs (unless they don't care about business (not my experience at any rate)).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As I understand it, BASI is still acceptable in Switzerland, as long as one has done the Eurotest. So, France, Austria and Italy are placing themselves at a commercial disadvantage vis a vis HV. When the ski schools in Austria (whose main advantage IS instruction in your language) notice a lose in business, expect change.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

As I understand it, BASI is still acceptable in Switzerland, as long as one has done the Eurotest. So, France, Austria and Italy are placing themselves at a commercial disadvantage vis a vis HV. When the ski schools in Austria (whose main advantage IS instruction in your language) notice a lose in business, expect change

This is not accurate. Switzerland has never required the eurotest and it isnt part of their system. While they recognise BASI qualifications (although recognition is getting harder) they will not issue new work permits for british passport holders post Brexit
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The reality is that nothing has changed in Austria. The Anwärter is still the lowest recognised qualification for ski instruction and requires two languages, one of which is German. Any non-EU national that wants to work as a ski instructor in Austria will need a Visa D which can be obtained from the British Embassy at a cost of €150 and with a firm job offer and proof of seasonal accommodation. This has not changed. The only change is that the UK has voted for its citizens to become non-EU nationals. That itself is nothing to do with Austrian rules on seasonal work visas and professional qualifications.
snow report
A word from Austria on the ground - I am involved with britishinaustria.net - we've been monitoring the Article 50 EUV card applications throughout Austria this year - and escalating cases to the Ministry of the Interior to try to get proper guidance in addition to the feedback we obtained from applicants.

We are seeing a lot of enquiries at the moment from people who nominally registered before the end of the transition period on 31.12.2020 and who are now returning to resorts ahead of the new season. Many are being told, if they residence has not been interrupted (ie absence of 180+ days), that they will need to guarantee that they are also staying for the next summer season to get the Art 50 EUV card. We knew of a number in Kaprun who were not permitted to apply for it back in the spring before they disappeared. Similarly there are a lot of people who are having problems in applying due to insurance coverage - travel insurance is seldom compatible with insurance for residence purposes, and check the small print about the duration you are covered for...

Hope this might help someone.
snow report
@Mankei - The D visa has to be applied for from the Austrian Embassy in London (not the British Embassy!)
snow report
brexittoexbritAT wrote:
Many are being told, if they residence has not been interrupted (ie absence of 180+ days), that they will need to guarantee that they are also staying for the next summer season to get the Art 50 EUV card. We knew of a number in Kaprun who were not permitted to apply for it back in the spring before they disappeared.

Surely this goes against the wording of the WAP?
snow conditions
@brexittoexbritAT, sorry my mistake, I meant the embassy in the normal country of residence, so I worded it incorrectly.

@AdamNotts, my understanding is that those resident in Austria for less than five years of continuous residence can only have interruptions of up to 180 days within a rolling year in order to maintain residency status. I expect brexittoexbritAT knows more than I do on this subject.
snow conditions
@AdamNotts - We've flagged some cases to the Ministry of the Interior about this practice having affected people applying at the Bezirkshauptmannschaft Zell am See (it affects those in Kaprun and other resorts and the reply we got was often that they also didn't qualify due to a lack of work and insurance coverage (regarding the Art 50 EUV card the insurance coverage issue seems to be the big thing, particularly as many seasonal workers who came and went in early 2020 don't qualify for benefits as the system needs 26 contributing weeks in a season). We have yet to get a definitive answer about a list of insurance products that are accepted for residence purposes if you aren't non-self-employed.

@Mankei the 180 day rule is correct for those on the 5 year card - currently following up the progress of someone in Kitz (the BH there seems on the ball and efficient) who has managed to get the Bestätigung der Antragstellung, but is having to prove how they were really resident from late 2020, and who has cut it very fine in terms of their absence. The problem is also that those applying for residence and getting hauled up about insurance (travel insurance isn't recognised for residence applications). We are also trying to get clarity on the interpretation of the 180 days (ie including day of arrival and departure or not).

As an aside - it seems like the miserable pay in the gastro sector might be easier to get jobs in, although realistically unless people apply now, they won't be able to work from the season opening (start of December).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy