Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glacier skiing Austria late October 2021

Poster: A snowHead
Any tips & recommendations for glacier skiing last week of October? Stubaier Gletscher / Stubaital is top of my list as I've never skied there. But also considering the other 4-5 open glaciers: Pitztal, Hintertux, Kitzsteinhorn .. Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't recommend any resorts, but check your insurance .mine from Barclays bank excludes glacier skiing, other policies might have this hidden in the small print as there are not that many underwriters
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not much running in Stubai yet, though it did only open yesterday. Keep an eye on this page and see if more opens over the next couple of weeks: https://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/en/stubai-live/open-lifts/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oceanfalls,

When Mrs B was a teacher we went to Austria a lot during Oct half term week, for glacier skiing.

You can't go wrong with any of the glaciers at that time of year.

We always hired a car and did at least 2 glaciers on each trip (usually Stubai and Hintertux), though sometimes we made it into a 3 centre trip, with 2 days skiing at each of the above, plus Sölden. It's about 1.75 hours drive between each of the areas, with Solden in the middle of the other 2.

We've also skied Pitztal, Kitsztein and Kaunertal glaciers at that time of the year and really enjoyed those as well.

Neustift is a beautiful village, so I'd recommend staying there for Stubai skiing, though you could stay at (more expensive) hotels at the base of the skiing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oceanfalls wrote:
Any tips & recommendations for glacier skiing last week of October? Stubaier Gletscher / Stubaital is top of my list as I've never skied there. But also considering the other 4-5 open glaciers: Pitztal, Hintertux, Kitzsteinhorn .. Cool

I think Stubai is the best, also love Hintertux. It will depend on snow conditions, now only 2-3 snowfalls since September with about 50cm total, and not much snow in forecast next 14 days. I would say October is little bit too early, Ive been skiing beginning of November, and its been perfect, majority of runs were open and 1m of snow offpiste, we even did offpist runs (still a lot of stones). I would wait for the snow when they open most of the lifts.

Its easily accessible by public bus from Innsbruk, the villages father away will be cheaper (like Fulpmes) but it will take about 45mins free bus to the glacier.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for Hintertux in October
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergmeister wrote:

We always hired a car and did at least 2 glaciers on each trip (usually Stubai and Hintertux), though sometimes we made it into a 3 centre trip, with 2 days skiing at each of the above, plus Sölden. It's about 1.75 hours drive between each of the areas, with Solden in the middle of the other 2.

Surely Stubai is in the middle of the other two.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Surely Stubai is in the middle of the other two
Indeed Very Happy

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
I would say October is little bit too early
IMO it's never too early (or late!) to ski. Over the years, we've skied European glaciers in every month from May to November and never regretted a single trip.

Even a 25C total slush and glacial ice fest in Tignes one August was better than not skiing at all and we've skied nice fresh snow or powder in May, June, July, October and November.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I enjoyed Stubai
Missus enjoyed it as well, but I think she means the schnitzel & weissbier.
Did see some poor sod getting helicopter lifted off the mountain though!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris_n wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

Surely Stubai is in the middle of the other two.

Oops! Shocked Shocked Shocking typo!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've never had a bad half term October week, in terms of snow conditions, so I don't agree that October is too early.

Have you seen the Austrian glacier webcams currently? Puzzled Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I would say October is little bit too early
IMO it's never too early (or late!) to ski. Over the years, we've skied European glaciers in every month from May to November and never regretted a single trip.

Even a 25C total slush and glacial ice fest in Tignes one August was better than not skiing at all and we've skied nice fresh snow or powder in May, June, July, October and November.

100% agreement, MA. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve been to Hintertux twice, once with 2 mates, once with my then 17 yo son. Loved it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PORTMAN wrote:
I can't recommend any resorts, but check your insurance .mine from Barclays bank excludes glacier skiing, other policies might have this hidden in the small print as there are not that many underwriters

Thanks for tip about insurance.. is that a post-Brexit thing Puzzled I don't live in UK & luckily, I've just become a European..
ski holidays
ed48 wrote:
Oceanfalls wrote:

I think Stubai is the best, also love Hintertux. It will depend on snow conditions, now only 2-3 snowfalls since September with about 50cm total, and not much snow in forecast next 14 days. I would say October is little bit too early, Ive been skiing beginning of November, and its been perfect, majority of runs were open and 1m of snow offpiste, we even did offpist runs (still a lot of stones). I would wait for the snow when they open most of the lifts.

Its easily accessible by public bus from Innsbruk, the villages father away will be cheaper (like Fulpmes) but it will take about 45mins free bus to the glacier.

Week of 25th October is our school holiday so as a teacher, I have no choice rolling eyes But yes, the snow is never certain. I've skied Hintertux & Piztal & Kitsteinhorn & thought we'd try something different..
ski holidays
Thank you everyone for all the tips! Cool
A wish for good snow & freedom to travel & ski Little Angel
ski holidays
Oceanfalls wrote:
ed48 wrote:
Oceanfalls wrote:

Week of 25th October is our school holiday so as a teacher, I have no choice rolling eyes But yes, the snow is never certain. I've skied Hintertux & Piztal & Kitsteinhorn & thought we'd try something different..

In contrast, in my experience of over a dozen half term October trips the snow was always certain on the glaciers. Very Happy
snow report
Have done Hintertux and Kitsteinhorn at the end of October a few times for cheeky weekends and the snow has always been surprisingly great!!
snow conditions
Oceanfalls wrote:
PORTMAN wrote:

Thanks for tip about insurance.. is that a post-Brexit thing Puzzled I don't live in UK & luckily, I've just become a European..

Suspect they mean skiing on glaciers offpiste where there could be crevases. Would be surprised if the insurance didn't cover skiing on pisted runs at a glacier resort but worth checking.
ski holidays
As I'm thinking of going over to Kaprun at the end of the month I've been looking at the webcams. Yesterday was overcast & foggy, today there was glorious sunshine. It can be a bit of a gamble with the weather and snow (just like the rest of the ski season).

Might be worth investing in some cheap clear / low vis googles just in case it's foggy but don't forget your suncream either.

https://www.snoweye.com/?resort=at_kaprun

Looks like two lucky people just put in the first powder tracks from the peak, not bad for mid October 2021.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy