Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having just found gainful employment I am keen to get on the slopes for a early season warm up in December. I'm currently planning a 1 to 2 week North America trip in Jan so can only afford 2 days off in December. Assuming I take a Friday and the following Monday off where should I head for the most on piste time?

Solden looks a good bet as it's a short distance to the airport and high (snow sure in the first weeks of December very important).

Itinerary would ideally look like this:

Thursday night leave london after work, fly to european resort, maybe stay in hotel near the airport, collect hire car.
Friday get up early drive to resort, ski all day, sort out accommodation in the evening (having already booked the accommodation if poss).
Ski all day Sat,
Ski all day Sun
Ski till lunch on Mon, drive to airport, fly back to london.

Possible variations include taking my slightly mental older brother and his outrageously fast A6 Quattro. Drive to French resort through Thursday night.

Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obsessed_intermediate,
Personally I would book flights to Innsbrook Zurich, Salzburg Geneve or wherever wait five months see where the snow is and make further arrangements then. If I was rich I would wait to book the flights as well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obsessed_intermediate, The French Gendarmes have been pretty successful at stopping and fining guys in outrageously fast cars this winter, they just wait at the Toll Booths for you to arrive. Suggest you fly wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obsessed_intermediate, Why not fly to Grenoble, drive to Alpe D'Huez or Les Deux Alpes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the tip snowbunny, will let my bro know.

Colin B, Am def considering the southern alps, don't know why but Alpe d'huez has always appealled to me.

T Bar, The plan is to be rich come december so will wait a bit before booking, that said I'm not going to throw money away so maybe I'll book in October.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Obsessed_intermediate,

Oops I have gone decimal with my months Embarassed Oct booking is not that much more helpful than booking now for best snow. In Dec last minute really does pay off I would book late if affordable for flights and really last minute for resort unless you are wanting to watch a world cup downhill .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obsessed_intermediate - if you fancy poss of Southern Alps and are after more than glacier skiing - would definitiely suggest you wait a bit before booking anything. For example - few years ago we did Serre Chevalier first week of December in AMAZING snow... but this year was a different story. Pre Christmas you should find accommodation fairly easy to find for a few nights - we've never had any problem in various locations. There are loads of resorts that are possible for a weekend and leaving it nearer the time gives you the best chance of early season snow. This year for various seasons we booked a bit early for Val Thorens - and then really wished we were in Austria!! If you get nearer the time and flights are ridiculously expensive then driving is always an option and means you can head for the best snow (As long as there are two of you driving so you can get a bit of sleep). We have often driven out on a Thursday night after work (Italy; France; Switzerland) - and then skied from around 10 am Fri (and not broken the speed limits!) - but we are south of England so that makes a difference. The america trip sounds gr8 - we've never got out of europe yet! Happy ski trip hunting.... its half the fun eh.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Obsessed_intermediate, for the last few years we've booked BA flights to Geneva nice and early for Dec and therefore got them at a good price. We usually go middle w/e of Dec which is when quite a few resorts are opening.

From Geneva there is a massive choice within easy driving and always the option of heading through the Mont Blanc tunnel to Italy if snow on the French side is a bit thin as it has been last couple of years.

If u do take your bro and his wheels make sure you are fully prepared for lots of snow - we've had chains on at least once every trip this time of year....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow chains sound fun/exciting. Last time we drove in France (summer) we drove very fast then stopped for lunch a couple of miles before the peage so that we wouldn't get a ticket. hehe.

I think we'll prob wait for the snow to fall and then drive if we can't get reasonable flights.
Is a weekend drive to Austria viable of is it just too far?

We would probably have 3 drivers so sleeping shouldn't be too much of a problem.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hardly a "Ski Weekend" ? 4-5 days ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's a little harsh, it does include the weekend. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Hardly a "Ski Weekend" ? 4-5 days ?

Of course its a weekend! Its a pity that others (spouses most notably) don't think so
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
agree with Obsessed_intermediate, and Martin Nicholas, as long as the trip includes sat/sun it's definately only a "weekend away skiing" even if it happens to include a couple of other days as well Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy