Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe D’Huez or Val d’Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody

We are a group of 9 skiers who go skiing every winter to a different ski Resorts

This season We are thinking of Alpe D’Huez or Val d’Isere ( our dates are from 8th Jan to 16th Jan 2022 )

We know both have good skiing … but our concern is about the town and the lively atmosphere …

Is Alpe D’Huez very quiet ? Can we compare it to VD ? Or there is a big gab between them

I don’t want my group to say .. you have taken us to a dead ski resort Laughing

They have been to Chamonix , Zermatt , Courchevel and Val Gardena …

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alpe D’huez is more for families and is very quiet compared to Val D’isere.

We are a group of twenty who after going to Val D’isere for 3 years then went to Alpe D’huez in 2020.

We had booked to go back to Val on day 3 of our holiday in Alpe D’huez and will be there in March 2022.

It’s the best ski resort I’ve ever been to.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you want a lively town go to Austria.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Of those two? Val.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val D easily. AdH is a great resort but dead for apres and at night.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never been to AdH so cannot speak from experience but the one thing to take into account that Val D’Isere is one of the top 5 ski resorts in the world , I don’t think AdH is considered like this , and you will encounter a slick run resort , some extremely upmarket bars and restaurants (possibly only in their view ) , very nice hotels and shops , but with this comes a cost plenty €€€€€ it ain’t cheap and is more Paris than Prague .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skitotal or probably now Inghams have Le Savoie and it’s location and facilities whilst not the 5 star they advertise is a decent place to stay.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Corky wrote:

This!

Saalbach Hinterglemm. The Ski Circus has 270km of pistes and some outstanding skiing. In terms of lively, it knocks Val into a cocked hat.

AdH is quite strung out as a town and I wouldn’t call it exactly lively. Fab skiing, though!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The on-mountain at AdH gets quite lively at La Folie Douce but is reasonably quiet at night - having only stayed there on family trips it wasn't top of the list. Never been to Val.

Most Austrian resorts have pumping après in my experience.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gad wrote:

We are a group of twenty who after going to Val D’isere for 3 years then went to Alpe D’huez in 2020.

We had booked to go back to Val on day 3 of our holiday in Alpe D’huez and will be there in March 2022.

Thank you … This is what I was expecting …
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Corky wrote:

Any specific Austrian ski resort you recommend ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rob Mackley wrote:
Never been to AdH so cannot speak from experience but the one thing to take into account that Val D’Isere is one of the top 5 ski resorts in the world , I don’t think AdH is considered like this , and you will encounter a slick run resort , some extremely upmarket bars and restaurants (possibly only in their view ) , very nice hotels and shops , but with this comes a cost plenty €€€€€ it ain’t cheap and is more Paris than Prague .

Thanks Rob Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GiveMe5ive wrote:
Corky wrote:

See above from Cacciatore. Saalbach
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowsartre wrote:
The on-mountain at AdH gets quite lively at La Folie Douce but is reasonably quiet at night - having only stayed there on family trips it wasn't top of the list. Never been to Val.

Most Austrian resorts have pumping après in my experience.

Val D'Isere is home to the original Folie Douce.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting that people with no experience of resort are commenting. Having been to both and enjoyed them many times they are very different, but both have enough varied skiing to keep you happy. Val much livelier at night (and more expensive!).
snow report
GiveMe5ive wrote:
gad wrote:

Thank you … This is what I was expecting …

Although I expect things to be a little different after covid, alongside La Folie Deuce you also have this place.
http://youtube.com/v/7YzcB-89rUE
latest report
@GiveMe5ive, having been to Alpe d'huez 3 times and Val d'isere on many occasions, I'd say Val d'isere should get your vote.

I'm not really big on partying these days, but I can see me going back to Val d'isere again no problem, whereas I'm not really in any hurry to go back to Alpe d'huez.
ski holidays
Backcountryboarder wrote:
@GiveMe5ive, having been to Alpe d'huez 3 times and Val d'isere on many occasions, I'd say Val d'isere should get your vote.

I'm not really big on partying these days, but I can see me going back to Val d'isere again no problem, whereas I'm not really in any hurry to go back to Alpe d'huez.

Thanks
ski holidays
I've never been to VD but ADH demographics change in January to a younger crowd.
It's never going to be like Austria but you have places like The Underground or Smithy's and a couple of clubs.
latest report
GiveMe5ive wrote:
Corky wrote:

Personally I'd skip Austria this year and do one of the pair on your current shortlist. NEXT year however, when Covid's further behind us so Austrian apres more like it's old self (which I don't think it will be this year) I'd have at least the following on my short list (in alphabetical order):
- Ischgl - based on many trips: huge and varied apres ski/very good piste skiing/very few Brits/accomodation and retail expensive but food and drink same as any Austrian resort.
- St Anton - based on day trip: not sampled apres but good reputation/piste skiing not as good as Ischgl in our view but much more accessible off\side piste/lots of Brits/accomodation and retail a bit cheaper/food and drink standard.
- Saalbach-Hinterglemm - not been: Covid cancelled our first trip to S-H last year but the opinions on here we enough to tempt our Austrian week away from Ischgl to give it a go.
snow report
@GiveMe5ive, Having skied both Val d'Isere and Alpe d'Huez in the past I would say that both are very suitable for the skiing. Val d'Isere has a reputaion for lively night life, but to be honest I prefer Tignes anyway for Espace Killy. On our last visit to Alpe d'Huez 3 years ago I found sufficinet lively night life.

However, I have seen the dates you are travelling. January 8th is probably the quietest week of the whole season. There won't be lift queues or crowded pistes, but the bars will be quiet as well. If you want to avoid a quiet ski resort go when it is busier (and more expensive)
snow report
Alpinebear wrote:
I've never been to VD but ADH demographics change in January to a younger crowd.
It's never going to be like Austria but you have places like The Underground or Smithy's and a couple of clubs.

Post covid People might be worried about going into small, dinghy, low roofed establishments like underground.
snow conditions
I love ADH - turning bit by bit from a good resort into a great resort. But it is not a party town at night. The Folie's is good fun and the night club and Smithys are ok. But Val is a cut above for night life.
These days though I love to ski all day, a few beers at apres time, which ADH does well, change/shower, out for a good meal which is why you have to choose France and after, retire to my bed.

I have never got Austria, went and yearned all week for France - all that terrible Europop, oompahs and basically behaving like a German.
But that doesn't mean I will not visit Austria again as there are some resorts I really fancy - but it scares me as it isn't France and it's all pretty low
snow conditions
Yellow Snow wrote:
I have never got Austria, went and yearned all week for France - all that terrible Europop, oompahs and basically behaving like a German.
But that doesn't mean I will not visit Austria again as there are some resorts I really fancy - but it scares me as it isn't France and it's all pretty low

Can't say I find myself in Austria going "You know, I wish the coffee was less hot and didn't fill the cup past half way."/"I wish this chair list wasn't so new and quick, wasn't heated, and didn't have a weather cover."/"I wish this beer was more expensive, didn't taste so good*."/"I wish this self service restaurant would stop serving really good food really quickly and for a reasonable price and someone was instead emptying my wallet for an omlette that looks like it spent 30 seconds in a cold pan before being slopped onto a plate.".

Oh, and it scares me that so many of the French resorts are so far west, so have such a high snow line compared to Austria.

* Pelforth, especially brune and Mützig being notable exceptions.
snow report
Having skied for 30 years in 3 Valleys, Paridiski, Espace Killi, Grand Massif - I was blown away by The Arlberg. Stayed in St Anton Dec 2019. Missed 2021 season. But I'm off to St Anton for as much of the season as a Schengen visa allows.
snow conditions
Quote:

Is Alpe D’Huez very quiet ? Can we compare it to VD ?

Herpes, maybe?

But to answer the thread heading…it ain’t called VD for nothing. Enjoy. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Val D, definitely. St Anton also has great apres...
latest report
Austria. Saalbach-Hinterglemm is great.

Val D’isere is good too but Austria does better apres. As has been advised, it looks like Austria might be better when (if?) Covid gets better, maybe next year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy