Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salzburg Car Hire price whinge

Poster: A snowHead
Have you seen the price of car hire in Salzburg this year?

I don't understand it. We hired a car there 2 years ago, and I don't recall it being expensive. This year it's £400 for a week, twice the price of Turin for example. We've decided to catch the train which I expect will be fun anyway- damn, even a taxi each way is cheaper(to Kirchberg). Train for us is about £40 return.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which direction are you going to go by train? Zell, or Kufstein? If there`s a reasonable number, ie 3 or 4 get a bayern ticket valid from Salzburg anywhere in bavaria, and get a ticket only from Kufstein, changing at Worgl to come up the valley to Kirchberg. Its circa 25 euro for the first person, and 3 euros pp after that. It could work out cheaper than buying all individual tickets. And quicker. Just looked on the OBB site, and its circa 30euros plus each way and no mention of the Bayern ticket!!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jafa wrote:
Which direction are you going to go by train? Zell, or Kufstein? If there`s a reasonable number, ie 3 or 4 get a bayern ticket valid from Salzburg anywhere in bavaria, and get a ticket only from Kufstein, changing at Worgl to come up the valley to Kirchberg. Its circa 25 euro for the first person, and 3 euros pp after that. It could work out cheaper than buying all individual tickets. And quicker. Just looked on the OBB site, and its circa 30euros plus each way and no mention of the Bayern ticket!!!!

Thanks for the info.

The direction Kufstein/Worgl is what we were going to do, as it's quite a bit quicker. Don't know if that ticket works for us as there's just 2 of us, but will look into it. As we'll have the SuperSalzburg pass, was thinking of a day trip to Kaprun/Zell am See(2 years ago, we drove to Saalbach one day) I fancy a day in Kaprun, as it's the first place I ever skiid. We're both over 60, so I think that makes the train a bit cheaper. £400 for a car is crazy. At that price, they must pay for themselves in just a few months.

Edit

I've just looked at ticket price for us Salzburg to Kirchberg return, at the times that will suit us and it's just £44.24 for both of us return. I don't know if it's worth pre booking, or getting when there.

Your trip
2 Seniors
Outbound Sat 5 Feb
14:16
Salzburg Hbf
2h 39m, 0 changes
16:55
Kirchberg in Tirol
View full ticket conditions
Inbound Sat 12 Feb
06:07
Kirchberg in Tirol
1h 55m, 1 change
08:02
Salzburg Hbf
View full ticket conditions
Total
£44.24

Sorry your thread's been a bit hijacked.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jafa, be a bit careful, the Bayern Ticket is only valid on regional trains not IC/EC or RJ. This means if you want to travel from Salzburg to Kufstein via Bavaria you will have to change in Rosenheim plus all the other places which is a lot of faff just to save a few Euros.

@SteveBrown, There are a few direct trains from Salzburg to Kirchberg but generally you have to change at least once plus you need to get the bus from the airport to the station in Salzburg. Even then it is likely to be a fair walk from the train station in Kirchberg to wherever you are staying. You are probably better off biting the bullet and paying for a transfer rather than using up holiday time on a train trip (unless you like trains Smile). Car hire does seem to have got a lot more expensive in the past six months, I suspect you wont be the last person to be surprised by this.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
munich_irish wrote:
@jafa, be a bit careful, the Bayern Ticket is only valid on regional trains not IC/EC or RJ. This means if you want to travel from Salzburg to Kufstein via Bavaria you will have to change in Rosenheim plus all the other places which is a lot of faff just to save a few Euros.

@SteveBrown, There are a few direct trains from Salzburg to Kirchberg but generally you have to change at least once plus you need to get the bus from the airport to the station in Salzburg. Even then it is likely to be a fair walk from the train station in Kirchberg to wherever you are staying. You are probably better off biting the bullet and paying for a transfer rather than using up holiday time on a train trip (unless you like trains Smile). Car hire does seem to have got a lot more expensive in the past six months, I suspect you wont be the last person to be surprised by this.

Thanks Munich_Irish.

I edited my post above to show what seems the most suitable times. It's strange how the price can swing from £70 to £20, for an hour different departure. One of those is direct, the other is one change. They are pretty good flight times, but I don't think we could get extra ski time with a transfer. We land 12:20, and depart 13:20. We know where station is, and where the hotel is(right across from a Steak House we went to last time). It is a bit of a walk, but we can get ski bus when we arrive, and we'll book a taxi for our early depart.

We thought of driving the whole way, but £400 fuel, £175 ferry, plus 3 overnight stops made it not very economic. We were going to visit Neuschwanstein Castle, and have half a day skiing in Garmisch though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
£400 fuel, what you driving? I`m in Dorset, so 3 hours to the ferry/tunnel. It was a tank and a half a couple of weeks ago with conservative driving each way. Say two tanks, that would be about £240 there and back. The tunnel atm doesn`t look like much change out of £200 return, but the flexibility it offers especially if your looking to drive to different resorts. But, and its a big but, you still have to cost in having winter tyres if you dont ordinarily have them.

Are you talking about staying opposite "Asados" in the LiftHotel? Thats a fair walk from the station!

I`m driving to our place in Kirchberg in December but have got winter tyres, so not an issue.

@munich_irish, Yes I`m aware its not available on every train. But with a middle of the day arrival, its not going to make that much time difference.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SteveBrown, it is worth downloading the ÖBB app, it makes buying and keeping tickets much easier, its in English too. You might find some of the connections use a RJ or EC train which are more expensive.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SteveBrown wrote:

I don't understand it. We hired a car there 2 years ago, and I don't recall it being expensive. This year it's £400 for a week, twice the price of Turin for example. We've decided to catch the train which I expect will be fun anyway- damn, even a taxi each way is cheaper(to Kirchberg). Train for us is about £40 return.

Yup - it was quite a shocker !!

I guess it's a factor of supply and demand, and car hire companies taking large hits / or having to offload large parts of their fleets through the pandemic, and now there not being enough vehicles ? I dunno, no expert
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It twice as much as that ex-Geneva at Xmas!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, car hire seems to be at least double or triple the normal prices this year.

I guess it's a case of dynamic pricing models responding to growing demand outstripping the small post-pandemic supply base. Grenoble seems to have run out of cars at Xmas.

The companies are probably quite happy rebuilding profits after what must have been a massive Covid hit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just booked 9 days car hire at Salzburg, medium car £240 mid december. About the same as usual
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timberwolf wrote:
SteveBrown wrote:

I guess it's a factor of supply and demand, and car hire companies taking large hits / or having to offload large parts of their fleets through the pandemic, and now there not being enough vehicles ? I dunno, no expert

There was no offloading of cars, the exact opposite in fact. Companies with corporate contracts who were still working through the pandemic required more cars as they could not share transport, and driving to meetings became more common due to flight restrictions. Also, there were no new cars available to replace any sold, so there would have been a massive shortage now.
All companies will be running close to 100% utilisation at the moment.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx wrote:
I've just booked 9 days car hire at Salzburg, medium car £240 mid december. About the same as usual

where from?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mr.Egg, inter rent via autoeurope
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
l agree that some prices are 2 to 3x higher than pre-pandemic. MUC was always an affordable hire, but prices at New Year are very high, even for peak season. There are some cracking deals at other times though, I have also booked for better value than usual - always through third-party sellers - the same car at Avis, for example, with a discount code for a hire from YYC was £470 on avis.co.uk; £350 on avis.com, but booked the same vehicle, same dates, and fully inclusive insurance (screen, tyres etc) for £268 on autoeurope. Won't get any points or keep my preferred plus status but hey ho!
ski holidays
If you are getting the train there, once in Kirchberg make sure you get yourself your guest card from the hotel. With this you are entitled to free train travel during your stay in between Worgl and Hochfilzen, so you can use your Superski pass to its full effect. This is available 365 days a year so I haven't seen anything yet, that they are taking this away.
You can also use it for the buses too. With the trains being normally on time and in sync with the buses, you should be able to get to places like Fieberbrunn, Skiwelt, waidring etc..
This in my opinion as a guest negates the need for a car! Just be aware this is only for the slower type trains not the ICE for example.
snow report
It’s not just Austria. I checked Tenerife and it’s around 4 times the normal cost. Down to lack of cars apparently.
snow conditions
Longsider wrote:
It’s not just Austria. I checked Tenerife and it’s around 4 times the normal cost. Down to lack of cars apparently.

I think you're right. Short notice bookings are especially challenging. Got 10 days last month in Salzburg for the same as 3 in Munich next week. Supply and demand I suppose.
snow conditions
Ive used this to plan my trip
Bus can be quicker - but probably depends on arrival time
https://fahrplan.salzburg-verkehr.at/?language=en_GB
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, thanks. It didn't show data for next January, only till this December. I imagine it will work when we get closer.
ski holidays
drporat wrote:
@Mr.Egg, thanks. It didn't show data for next January, only till this December. I imagine it will work when we get closer.

yes, the timetables are up to 11th December.
snow report
Timberwolf wrote:
SteveBrown wrote:

eye wateringly expensive!

We usually fly to Munich and drive from there but managed to get cheap flights to SZG. I've just checked the same car at same time is twice as expensive. Swings and roundabouts I guess
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy