Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria or France? Best Christmas resort for couples

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My boyfriend and I (24,29) are planning to go to a resort from 24th-2nd Dec, but struggling with which place to pick. I have only been to Kaprun, Bad Gastein and Alp d'huez

He is a total beginner and wants to pick up snowboarding since I board. We ideally want to go to Austria or France and want a resort that isn't mainly a party town like VT but something more suitable for couples and that has a Christmas feel to it.

For Austria I am considering Mayrhofen, Kitzbuhl - never been to them both but heard good things. Would anyone recommend these two resorts for a beginner and at Christmas?

I know France has some great resorts but have never been to a more family resort, are there any that you would highly recommend?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zell am See ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
24th dec to 2nd Jan? Or Nov 24th - 2nd Dec?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr.Egg wrote:

If as title says “Christmas” then likely 24 Dec to 2 Jan?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ster wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

If as title says “Christmas” then likely 24 Dec to 2 Jan?

That is what I assumed, but 1st Week of advent is 27th November, so when Christmas starts
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@lilnads97, assuming you mean the Christmas / New Year period both Mayrhofen and Kitzbühel would be good choices. Kitzbühel has a nice old town but Mayrhofen is pleasant too. You might struggle to find accommodation at this short notice. Mayrhofen is more apres orientated than Kitz but easy enough to avoid the more raucous spots. The biggest concern, as always, for Christmas / New Year is snow reliability and Mayrhofen probably scores a bit higher in that regard, especially as there is a glacier nearby. Personally I would say that the "typical" Austrian resort has more "character" about it than the typical French one, though my views are probably skewed by memories of Tignes & La Plagne.

One advantage that many French places have over most Austrian ones is "ski in, ski out", in most places in Austria your accommodation will be at least a short walk away from the lifts.

One place that might work for you is Zauchensee, it is fairly family orientated, not so much going on in the evenings but set at the bottom of the pistes rather in a French style.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kitz flew right into my head, but that's always my favourite.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kitz for xmas!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avoriaz :
Ski in - Ski Out, No walking to the lifts.
Snow Sure
Short Transfer from GVA
Transport around the resort is by horse drawn cart - what's more romantic than that? (apart rom when the horse farts)
When they have all the Christmas lights and decorations up it looks pretty good at night.
Being car free you can stroll around in the evening under the bright stars in the snow.
NYE used to be a bit crazy, but its toned down a bit now as Avoriaz is focusing on attracting couples and families now rather than big groups ( That's Morzine ).
Oh, and it's a great place to snowboard. Loads of parks even for beginners, all of which can be accessed by chairlifts.
The terrain is varied, so if you get snowy or windy days, you can board in the Lindarets sector, which also has runs through the trees (Star Wars) and the Burton Stash, plus easy access to go and have a romantic lunch stop in Switzerland.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would highly recommend Murren - traffic free and a lovely / scenic train ride from Zurich (or Geneva). Hotel Eiger is our favourite.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DrLawn wrote:

It's rubbish for boarders due to lots of flat bits.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@lilnads97, not what you asked but it kind of relates to it. Are you going those dates because you need to or because you want to. It's an expensive week to go. And while it's nice to be in the mountains at Christmas the nature of it means it's not like Christmas at home. We go at Christmas because it's school holidays and we'd rather ski in the mountains than eat too much and watch crap telly at home.

My experience in the French resorts is that there may be one or two extra things going on at Christmas but by and large it's just like normal.

When you mean suitable for couples you mean as some nice restaurants/bars?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sugarmoma666 wrote:
DrLawn wrote:

Ah well you can't have everything Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Courchevel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lilnads97 wrote:

My boyfriend and I (24,29) are planning to go to a resort from 24th-2nd Dec

French resort are usually sat to sat. This year because Christmas and New Year are on saturdays, the trends for accomodations are Sun to Sun between 19 december and 2nd od january.....
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
@lilnads97, not what you asked but it kind of relates to it. Are you going those dates because you need to or because you want to. It's an expensive week to go. And while it's nice to be in the mountains at Christmas the nature of it means it's not like Christmas at home. We go at Christmas because it's school holidays and we'd rather ski in the mountains than eat too much and watch crap telly at home.

My experience in the French resorts is that there may be one or two extra things going on at Christmas but by and large it's just like normal.

When you mean suitable for couples you mean as some nice restaurants/bars?

Unfortunately due to my partner's job, we have to take those exact days and of course, it's the most expensive week over the ski season. Yeah, so would love activities and restaurants/bars maybe even an alpine spa, but I have been to Alp D'huez when there were 4 large university tour groups so don't want somewhere where it's just a party feel.
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
DrLawn wrote:

Is it a lot of thin flats through trees or more of wider flats?
snow report
joffy69 wrote:
Kitz for xmas!!

is there usually guaranteed a lot of snow during Christmas at Kitz?
snow report
If my memory serves me well, there is a bit of a flat walk from the top of the Hannenkam lift till it starts going down to the bowl past the SonnenBuhel.
My son learnt to board there when he was about 12 .. he learnt a lot of Kiwi Slang as well.
He did most of his boarding over on the Other side of the town. I think its called the Horn.

That is all downhill and very pleasent.
ski holidays
Alpbach is a lovely resort, more suitable to couples and families than larger groups.

If the OP already boards and OH is a complete novice, why not give skiing a go. My skiing son went on a winter holiday with his beginner OH, so they chose boarding, with both learning from scratch. He had a slight starting advantage from his on slope experience, but it meant they could learn a new skill together.
latest report
@lilnads97,
You cannot guarantee snow at Christmas in Kitz, but ... The Apres or The "Instead of" would make up for it Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@lilnads97, I'd have a look at Saalbach as an option.

There is some discussion on Christmas on this thread.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156241
ski holidays
lilnads97 wrote:
so would love activities and restaurants/bars maybe even an alpine spa, but I have been to Alp D'huez when there were 4 large university tour groups so don't want somewhere where it's just a party feel.

Not usually many students around over Christmas - they tend to go when it's cheaper. Sounds like you just ADH on the wrong week as it's not known as a big party town.

Maybe consider somewhere like Montchavin which has a real nice feel, below the treeline, as a well being centre. And access to lots of excellent intermdiate slopes.
ski holidays
Obergurgl, great for beginners, and snow sure at Christmas.
ski holidays
albob wrote:
Zell am See ?
I think this is an excellent call. I'm a Francophile these days but Zell would be lovely for a couple. OP mentioned Kitz and Mayrhofen - I haven't been to Kitz so can't comment but I wouldn't put Mayrhofen in the family category - it's more of a boys' party town IME.

It's a long time ago but I went to Zell as a solo pre-Xmas when I couldn't ski for toffee. Would be an ideal place to go to as a couple. Nice 4* hotels with good quality half board, village feel, Xmas street market with open air apres (gluewein, pretzels, etc.) and romantic walks along the lake. Lifts are a 200m walk from the centre but that would be easy in snowboard boots and if you get unlucky with the weather, you've still got the Kaprun glacier on the free ski bus and same lift pass.

Somebody mentioned Courchevel (my home resort which I love and which would be great to learn boarding) but off the slopes it's nowhere near as romantic as Zell would be for a young couple unless you've got oligarch level megabucks for one of the C1850 5* hotels. Courchevel Le Praz would be the best as an authentic family type village but it's not as convenient as Zell and there's only a couple of hotels so likely more expensive.
latest report
franga wrote:
I would highly recommend Murren - traffic free and a lovely / scenic train ride from Zurich (or Geneva). Hotel Eiger is our favourite.

That could be a nice option in Switzerland!
http://vagabondbaker.com/2015/12/07/murren/
snow report
albob wrote:
Zell am See ?

Can't agree more on Zell am See - it is just a picture perfect town, not just a ski resort, there is an ice skating rink, shops, cinemas, restaurants and bars that have real character and a feeling of more than just tourists. It is also affordable and well connected by train from Munich, Salzburg and Vienna an added bonus in my mind is taking the train.

http://youtube.com/v/wUbwk9rYC0w

Another suggestion would be Cortina D'Ampezzo, and if the budget allows Megeve, St Moritz, Zermatt, Courchevel 1850

Seefeld could be an option but likely not to have snow at the village which gives it all the charm.

While Murren is likely to be snow-sure it is a quiet, the same could be said about Bettmeralp - outside of skiing very limited activities.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy