Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Shopping

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
40 year old male skier, 6ft 1, 85kg and still reasonably fit.

1st skied when I was 5, but was sporadic until my teens. Then at least a weeks holiday most years. Also spent 3 years living in Calgary and spent almost every weekend for 3 seasons in a row somewhere in the Rockies. I'd say I'm definitely an advance skier, perhaps not quite capable (or maybe confident) enough to call myself an expert.

Unfortunately skiing has been on hold for the last 7 or 8 years. I've had the odd long weekend only in that timeframe. So I feel like I've totally lost touch equipment wise.

I only ever ski in resort, never hiking out into the backcountry. But will happily ski anything inbounds on or off piste. I do like a ski that I can drive on the piste in terms of carving, it's probably what I enjoy the most. But also frequently venture off into freeride terrain, especially if there is some new snow around. Too old for moguls, never really got to grips with it and too lazy to try now. So I definitely want an all mountain, freerise type ski that's probably slightly emphasised towards the piste.

Currently, I have a pair of Movement Yaka Jams (136/85/117) 173cm that have a 16m turn radius. They've been going since about 2009, so I've had my monies worth to say the least. They're looking a bit tired now, the bindings don't always click in correct on the 1st attempt and I just generally fancy replacing them. I like the ski, great at speed, carves well on piste, but perhaps the nose (136) is a little catchy on the steeps.

I am looking for something very similar to replace them really. Maybe a little less sidecut, so wider underfoot and a bit narrower at the nose. I'm probably not as energetic as I was.

Replacement wise so far, I've looked at...

Movement Go 90 or 98. Although Movement seem to have gone exclusively in the touring direction, so I'm not sure I fit the brand anymore.

Volkl M6 Mantra. Seems to get great reviews and reads like the kind of ski I'm after.

Volkl Kendo 92. Sounds very similar to the M6?

Any feedback on those options or other suggestions?

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Add Stöckli Stormrider 88 to your list.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IMO. You should be looking more at an All mountain ski, rather than a Freeride ski - as you are more Piste orientated....so a waist of around 88-93.

Since there haven't been many ski tests done in the last while, my knowledge is a bit out of date. The sort of thing I would suggest, is:

Dynastar Legend X88 (probably replaced with the M-Pro 90)
Head Kore 90
Atomic Vantage 90 Ti
Scott Slight 93
Rossignol Experience 88
Blizzard Brahma 88

If you have access to testing - then that will pin down what works for you....depending on how Damp or Playful a ski you like.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy