Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pain when removing Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of excellent Atomic Hawx XTD 120 AT boots.
They have a layer of plastic in the tongues of the liners.
When attempting to remove the boots, the two overlapping flaps of the outer shell separate, the plastic in the tounge wedges between them forming a sharp v-shape, the edges of which cut into my forefoot so painfully it brings tears to the eyes.
The top of my foot is really high which doesn't help, requiring a greater separation of the shell flaps than normal to get my feet out.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue ... and maybe has a solution?
I tried a pair of Intuition Tour Wrap liners as they had no plasic tounge, but they were way too high volume to work in my boots.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I keep the liners on while I take the boot off, then pull the liner off. My liners lace-up though, which helps with this.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@FoofyNoo, I totally understand. The only thing I've found that helps is for the boots to be warm and therefore more flexible. I heat mine on the drive up so the dragon is half-slayed, but removal on a cold day can be painful. Could you get in there with a tool and smooth/shave the offending "blade" without creating a bigger issue? I'll be watching.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If they only hurt when you take them off...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@FoofyNoo, same here. Like @Scooter in Seattle says, less of a problem of the boots are warm but even then it sometimes goes wrong. If I manage to pull my foot out in one smooth movement I'm generally ok. But if I fail and get stuck half out - agony.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
simples

https://www.nordica.com/global/en/men/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf/hf-110
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
simples

I want some Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, no good, don't have tech inserts. Sad snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is an issue with the Atomic Hawx range. I have 2 pairs (stiff piste and the xtd for off-piste/day trips) and my wife also has a pair. Great boots, and light for the performance you get. But we are not alone in having the problem of pain across the top of the foot when taking them off.

My only suggestion is to try and get your foot slightly sideways just before your foot passes the tongue wedge, that will open the wedge a bit wider and help slide your foot past. But is is clearly a design flaw and the material is quite minimal at the point so I don't see much opportunity to shave any off.

Maybe one of the resident boot fitters might have a solution. I for one would be glad to hear it!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like others have said above - the only time I have really struggled to get them off, was when it was in excess of -20C outside and the plastic really stiffened up.

When getting the boot off - I place the foot behind me and leverage the knee forward, while pushing on the back of the boot - as demonstrated here from 8:03

http://youtube.com/v/0Z0zJNb-jZo

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 7-10-21 9:48; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mgrolf, add frame bindings?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I must confess to having trouble both on and off. I have very narrow and long feet, when S4Feet saw them they found it hard to find a boot. I have a bit of shiney material that I put on my heal to aid the "slide" in, this I pull out and use on the other one. Getting them off is such a pain.
I long for the halcyon days of rear entry... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For me easiest solution is to take boots off (and also put on, as most of my boots it's impossible to put on "normal" way) with liner still on foot. Take off plastic shell, and then taking off liner is super easy. Same way goes for putting boots on. For me, especially for race boots, there's no way to get boot on, when liner is already in shell.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
seriously though, just pull your feet out quickly ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I raised this question with Solutions4Feet when I got my last pair of boots and was told the trick is to pull the tongue up and to one (specific) side. Tried this in the shop and it worked perfectly. Promprtly forgot which side you need to pull it to and usually discover I've guessed wrong as the boot takes a bite out of my foot. Again Sad

This is where I state I'll test it out when I take them off at Oktobertest on Saturday.

...and this is where I update this post on Sunday to say how I forgot about it, guessed, and guessed wrong again Smile
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
This is an issue with the Atomic Hawx range.

I'd agree with this. Had the same issue with this and my last pair. If I am careful it's not too bad but sometimes I am knackered, not being careful enough and it catches. Not as big a deal for me as for the OP but I definitely recognise it.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
zikomo wrote:
This is an issue with the Atomic Hawx range.

I'd agree with this. Had the same issue with this and my last pair. If I am careful it's not too bad but sometimes I am knackered, not being careful enough and it catches. Not as big a deal for me as for the OP but I definitely recognise it.

I should have mentioned that I use Atomic Hawx - and yes, it is the only downside I have found....but only an issue when very cold. How you take them off can help with, but not remove the problem.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
simples

Wow thanks, rear entries, and my wide feet used to be so comfortable in Nordica's too! Must check them out...
snow conditions
@jellylegs, a chum has them, his ankles are fused so immensely difficult/impossible to get into normal boots.

The fitters in Concept have a very high opinion of them.
ski holidays
Tried pulling the tongue to the inside at the end of the Hemel ski test and it definitely helps. The tongue still ends up wedged between the boot flaps an needs extracating, but it definitely involves less pain. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy