Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2021/22 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
@swskier, ok, I know that road and your chalet is 100 on the map so it's a pig to walk to with luggage. Get a taxi. For info, the easiest bus stop is the red spot by 91 on the map, in the Morel area and your chalet is about 300m downhill from it but its a narrow, not often cleared, road. The buses run until after midnight in the winter so don't worry about that if you go for a drink in town.

Easy to get out to ski in the morning though - you can walk slightly uphill and cut through by blue 21 or slightly downhill and cut through between blue 14 and green 52. Also very easy to ski back to blue 21 which is about 200m below the Rond Point.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@swskier, I looked at Bensbus as well as Altibus. But got a silly taxi quote that couldn't be beaten. Chambery to St Martin for 4 people €350 return
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@swskier,

I was able to book a taxi using findtransfers from Geneva to meribel for €200! So not much more than your bus/taxi quote.
I would them and see what quotes you get.

I also got quoted for Geneva to moutiers with the option of collecting my family member there but that didn’t make a big difference to the price.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Raceplate wrote:
@swskier, ok, I know that road and your chalet is 100 on the map so it's a pig to walk to with luggage. Get a taxi. For info, the easiest bus stop is the red spot by 91 on the map, in the Morel area and your chalet is about 300m downhill from it but its a narrow, not often cleared, road. The buses run until after midnight in the winter so don't worry about that if you go for a drink in town.

Easy to get out to ski in the morning though - you can walk slightly uphill and cut through by blue 21 or slightly downhill and cut through between blue 14 and green 52. Also very easy to ski back to blue 21 which is about 200m below the Rond Point.

I agree. We stayed at a chalet on Rue de Reynard, the stretch with the Helion Hotel and Doran Piste at the end. it was a decent walk up from the valley post dinner - good way to walk it off. Wouldn't want to be doing it with luggage.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking all white on the VT webcams, and dumping down for the next 3 days. Barring any unseasonably warm weather, they should be set for opening day in a few weeks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Two out of three of the 2022 'What's New' update from LaTania.co.uk has now been posted, some of it focuses on what was new last season (as it's new to most this season), but lots of interesting information as always.

Part 1: La Tania / Courchevel

Reshaping of the beginners area, and confirmation that the Saulire cable car will be out of action this Winter.

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2022-the-definitive-guide-part-1-of-3/

Part 2: Méribel / Mottaret

Incl changes to the Piste des Animaux which was part of the Disney Frozen II promotion; reshaping of the world cup run, including a new tunnel running under Roc de Fer.

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2022-the-definitive-guide-part-2-of-3/

Part 3: Val Thorens / Orelle / Les Menuire / St Martin

Coming soon...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry for the potentially dumb question (first time trip planning for a group) - is there any practical difference between buying a Meribel vs Meribel-Mottaret 3V lift pass?

They seem to be two unrelated websites, I would be going for home delivery (since we're not going until January). The website seems to imply we should buy from the latter as we're staying in Mottaret but the website seems to glitch and not let us add the pass insurance whereas the Meribel site works fine.

I sort of assume we'd be fine just getting the Meribel one but thought I'd best check in case there are any weird conditions like you can't use it on the gondola that goes up to the apartments or something from Mottaret centre.

Thanks for any advice!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My understanding (having only ever bought the 3V pass) is that the separate passes are valley based. So Meribel valley includes Mottaret. Someone will clarify if not.

Edit: what levels are you? For the difference, being able to do Courch and VT might be nice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@javindo, if you go to either website there are the same 3 options - 3 valleys, Meribel valley only or pedestrian access.

I suspect the only reason for the two is who gets the commission on the sale.

Mottaret website was working fine when I just tried - got as far as the shopping cart.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think they will want you do the first entry in the corresponding area. E.g. if you buy Meribel pass, you will have to enter your first lift there and not in Mottaret.

As @Charliegolf says just go for a full 3v pass, it's worth every penny and the difference with local pass is roughly equivalent to a one day pass.

The entry rule still applies though, I think. Check with the lift company.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
@javindo, Mottaret website was working fine when I just tried - got as far as the shopping cart.

No it isn't - when you toggle the insurance the price stays the same - it should go up. The Meribel one is ok. All the others, S3V and Sevabel are working correctly for 3V prices.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Val Thorens webcams are looking promising...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
javindo wrote:
Sorry for the potentially dumb question (first time trip planning for a group) - is there any practical difference between buying a Meribel vs Meribel-Mottaret 3V lift pass?

I sort of assume we'd be fine just getting the Meribel one but thought I'd best check in case there are any weird conditions like you can't use it on the gondola that goes up to the apartments or something from Mottaret centre.

Thanks for any advice!
No difference, doesn't matter where you start as long as it's somewhere in the Meribel valley. Same goes for a 3V pass - you can buy it from the Val Thorens (Sevabel) site and still start in Courchevel or Meribel.

The one day upgrade fee for 3V access is €40 this year, so if you go over the top twice you'll pay more than a 6 day 3V pass. Unless you really are novice or timid low mileage skiers, I think you'll regret not buying a 3V pass. Meribel-Mottaret is the middle valley and Mottaret the main artery connecting all 3V areas. It's one lift in the morning to ski Courchevel and two to ski Les Menuires or Val Thorens. It's daft not to take advantage of the location.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raceplate wrote:
Layne wrote:
@javindo, Mottaret website was working fine when I just tried - got as far as the shopping cart.

No it isn't - when you toggle the insurance the price stays the same - it should go up. The Meribel one is ok. All the others, S3V and Sevabel are working correctly for 3V prices.

Yeah, I didn't notice that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the replies - to clarify yes we're definitely set on the 3V pass it was just the weird bug with the Mottaret website specifically. I guess we'll just use the Meribel one and worst case we can ski down to Meribel first day anyway if we need to use it there first.
latest report
javindo wrote:
Thanks for all the replies - to clarify yes we're definitely set on the 3V pass it was just the weird bug with the Mottaret website specifically. I guess we'll just use the Meribel one and worst case we can ski down to Meribel first day anyway if we need to use it there first.
You don't need to. They used to ask where your first day skiing would be when you bought online but they haven't for some time because it doesn't matter anymore. I've recharged Courchevel and Meribel passes and skied first day in VT - they still work.

Worst case scenario would be that it doesn't let you through the barrier because it's faulty or they can't take your photo but the liftie will sort it - just keep a photo of your receipt on your phone with the pass serial number; that allows them to replace it if there is any issue or you lose it.
snow report
Heavy snow across all 3 valleys all the way down to St. Martin and Le Praz, may be even lower snowHead

may be a bit too early to get excited for lower villages, but definitely a good base for Les Menuires, VT and up
latest report
@javindo, It is a bit odd but the Mottaret lift system is actually part of Courchevels and run by them. More of an admin thing for them and confusing for the customer. As RP says you used to have to book with each valley but no longer..
ski holidays
Picture from our balcony webcam this afternoon. 1450 m Very Happy

snow conditions
Perty wrote:
Picture from our balcony webcam this afternoon. 1450 m Very Happy

Very exciting! Very Happy

We will be heading to Val Thorens for a few days skiing in opening week. We expect it to be busy but, after a season off, still can't wait! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, Mr P is heading over for the first week in Dec, hoping that the snow is good enough to try out the new La Masse lift - as well as tackling a few more DIY jobs on the house. Sadly I have to work and will have to wait till Boxing Day, but then, fingers crossed, will be out for all of January.
latest report
Went for a quick wander above Courchevel 1650 this afternoon with the 'tussock-hopper' skis... 10-15cms on a grassy base... Happy

No idea if any of this will last, and normally I am not one for getting out after the first snowfall and prefer to wait for a base, but was nice to get out and stretch the legs.

Thinking light thoughts on the way down... the beauty of 1650 is it is mostly grass underneath, so not too concerning for the health of bases or bones!

latest report
Great pictures, wasn't sure how much snow had fallen as it's hard to judge from the webcams
ski holidays
Part 3: Val Thorens / Orelle / Les Menuire / St Martin is now updated.. (although I haven't read it yet!!)

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2022-the-definitive-guide-part-3-of-3/
snow conditions
As some of you may have read on a different thread, car hire prices from the Swiss side at GVA for this season are outrageously expensive (not much for < £1K for a week). Can anyone recommend a decent transfer outfit that normally does the GVA - La Tania route please? Thanks.
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
Part 3: Val Thorens / Orelle / Les Menuire / St Martin is now updated.. (although I haven't read it yet!!)

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2022-the-definitive-guide-part-3-of-3/

Read it now - couple of questions on this...

Quote:
Winter 2022/2023 will see a new 10 seater gondola from Doppelmayr replacing the Deux Lacs chairlift.

i know where the Deux Lacs chair currently goes from but have no idea where 'Doppelmayr' is?!

There was also a photo of the new sports centre being built - any ideas what's in it (that is different from before)? And does it also replace the shopping walk through that was in the same building?
snow report
franga wrote:
As some of you may have read on a different thread, car hire prices from the Swiss side at GVA for this season are outrageously expensive (not much for < £1K for a week). Can anyone recommend a decent transfer outfit that normally does the GVA - La Tania route please? Thanks.

'Snowbound'. Not sure if their prices have zoomed with the rest, but used them several times both private and shared. Excellent.
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

Read it now - couple of questions on this...

Quote:
Winter 2022/2023 will see a new 10 seater gondola from Doppelmayr replacing the Deux Lacs chairlift.

i know where the Deux Lacs chair currently goes from but have no idea where Doppelmayr is.

Doppelmayr is the lift manufacturer! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, Laughing Laughing Laughing I feel like a right doughnut now! Laughing
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
10 seater gondola from Doppelmayr replacing the Deux Lacs chairlift.

This is one of the shortest lifts in the area and never takes more than 5 minutes queuing, what's the point of a gondola there? Especially when Covid is here to stay it seems.

I hate gondolas - to much fuffing about.
latest report
@Oleski, it does feel like a strange decision. Is it because it's used by a lot of beginners, and (once they progress past the magic carpets) it allows the ski schools to take them on that green circuit without having to tackle a chairlift?

It just feels like it'll just push more people to Moutiers lift so they can avoid taking off their skis - which will make a busy lift even busier!?
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, or may be they are getting ready to reduce/abandon snowmaking at village level in (a nightmarish) future and turning 2 Lacs area into a school meeting point?
snow report
Oleski wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
10 seater gondola from Doppelmayr replacing the Deux Lacs chairlift.

This is one of the shortest lifts in the area and never takes more than 5 minutes queuing, what's the point of a gondola there? Especially when Covid is here to stay it seems.

Not a good decision. That's a pleasant beginners chairlift. And, as you say, the queues are (in our experience) never that bad. rolling eyes
latest report
So, looking at la Masse, you have to ski all the way to the bottom? There is no gondola half way down? Eh oh! . For me that ruins La Masse I love spending the day up there and skiing to the bottom in slush is not pleasant Eh oh! . Gutted.
latest report
NE1 wrote:
So, looking at la Masse, you have to ski all the way to the bottom? There is no gondola half way down? Eh oh! . For me that ruins La Masse I love spending the day up there and skiing to the bottom in slush is not pleasant Eh oh! . Gutted.

Agreed. Crappy decision, that... Sad
snow report
Back to these forums as the season is starting soon and have actually signed up this time Very Happy Can't wait for what I think will be year 27 in 3V, bring on the snow!
snow conditions
Anyone care to speculate what will be open in VT week of 27th
ski holidays
@RobJsy, looking at the current forecast for 25/26th, potentially pretty much the whole area. Obviously it needs to happen first....
latest report
https://fb.watch/9m76hGX_g7/
snow report
Val T looking ok for November! Pic & quote from https://www.latania.co.uk/

Val Thorens free preview day… report up later.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy