Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2021/22 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret wrote:
After some great piste conditions last week getting pretty scrapey today on virtually all the pistes in VT, Meribel and Les Menuires. Courchevel seems a bit better but need some fresh stuff.

We skied from VT to Les Menuires, Le Praz and La Tania yesterday (& back) and found only a couple of "scrapey" runs (ie the 2 down to Le P & La T). We thought overall conditions were still great Very Happy .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in VT first yesterday morning and had a great time..new fave circuit in VT is Orelle via Grand Fond (the blue run Peyron is also a delight), then straight up Cime Caron in the new bubble. The red run down was superb. Despite the new lift spreading the timing of skiers more widely on the pistes, it was still possible to feel ahead of the crowds on the way down. Things were getting a bit scrapey later in the day on the way back, though you can find really good snow if you know your way about. Combe de Vallon was great this morning. Jerusalem has been just superb all week.
We were big fans of Jockeys, so today we thought we’d give L’Eclipse a go. It’s fair to say the piste conditions down were far from perfect (mostly hard and scraped) and it was all in the shade. OMG.. Shocked Such a contrast to Jockeys. Huge, wide, vertiginous, with steep rollers so you can never really see what’s coming just ahead, but at the same time I could see Mr P a long way further down. I had a real sense that if I lost it, I was likely to slide uncontrollably a long way down. The last section had grippier snow which was much less stressful. The mind boggles as to how the course will be set and skied by the pros …
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perty wrote:
I was in VT first yesterday morning and had a great time..new fave circuit in VT is Orelle via Grand Fond (the blue run Peyron is also a delight), then straight up Cime Caron in the new bubble. The red run down was superb. Despite the new lift spreading the timing of skiers more widely on the pistes, it was still possible to feel ahead of the crowds on the way down. Things were getting a bit scrapey later in the day on the way back, though you can find really good snow if you know your way about. Combe de Vallon was great this morning. Jerusalem has been just superb all week.
We were big fans of Jockeys, so today we thought we’d give L’Eclipse a go. It’s fair to say the piste conditions down were far from perfect (mostly hard and scraped) and it was all in the shade. OMG.. Shocked Such a contrast to Jockeys. Huge, wide, vertiginous, with steep rollers so you can never really see what’s coming just ahead, but at the same time I could see Mr P a long way further down. I had a real sense that if I lost it, I was likely to slide uncontrollably a long way down. The last section had grippier snow which was much less stressful. The mind boggles as to how the course will be set and skied by the pros …

Yes, I love the route into Orelle from the Grand Fond, I love the red run (Mauriennaise?) into the bowl and then the reds\blue from the the top of Bouchet are always great (and normally quiet). I haven't been since they've built the new Orelle-Caron bubble so will look to give that a go this year. The red run you mention from Cime Caron, was that the new Cime run? And if so, what's it like?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Handy Turnip, we did the Col d’Audzin red. The newer one-Cime- was put about 4 seasons ago. It’s not that exciting tbh, but enables you to ski directly back into Central VT.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What’s the best long cruisy blue for continuous easy skiing.

Want to warm myself up with something like that if it exists.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @Perty good to know, I'll give that a miss then!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grand Lac - Pelozet - Biolley into St Martin or head into 1650
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Visiting in Feb, wanted to do some beacon training, but can find no info about any facilities. http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Snow-Safety mentions sites in Meribel and Courchevel but I can find no info on them on the 3 valleys websites. Are they still there?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@joffy69 The training area in Meribel-Mottaret no longer exists and I am pretty sure that there isn't one at the bottom of Suisse either. The Meribel Mountain Guides are currently offering some Mountain Safety Training courses at 40€ for 2 hrs (tel +33 6 43 89 72 91). There is also a Facebook Group 'Ride Again Domain' https://www.facebook.com/groups/619500889110670, who were planning on organising some free avalanche training. I am not aware that they have held any sessions yet but they might be worth contacting.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the info. Thats a shame, was hoping to show my son the ins and outs.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone know any instructors in courchevel that can teach Nordic back country skiing?

Originally I was looking at classic cross country but I need to look at back country than tracks now apparently the ski is a bit wider.

Related to this anyone know if any of the rental shops will have that type of ski?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Piste conditions are still pretty damn good, particularly in the morning - a little thin in places low down (return to les Menuires from either side), and deteriorating during the day (as you would expect!!).
Off piste there is still plenty of fun to be had off the lifts with chalkiness and the odd pocket of soft in the shade, and good spring snow with the right timing on the sunny side:

A little bit of walking definitely can still deliver some great skiing:

Looks like a bit of a change in the weather in the long range forecast now so hopefully a little top up is on the way!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most of the long ranges are saying some snow is due next week but exactly when seem a question of debate

Snow dance going on for my trip over on 5th Feb
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Little Martin, I am not sure but I would try asking https://lecampdebase.com/ for equipment. I've not tried hiring nordic gear, but they were at least able to supply a full touring set up when I needed it for a week a few years ago.

For instructors I'd start with one of the bigger schools like Oxygene as more chance they have an instructor on the books with that background, or you could try asking someone like Marmalade as although I doubt they do nordic they might know someone who does.

Good luck!
snow report
@Little Martin, nordic back country is a niche, certainly in this neck of the woods... not sure what the odds are of finding someone - will ask around and see if I can find anyone.
snow conditions
@joffy69, theoretically, at the foot of the two unpisted runs that come down from the ex-Creux Noirs chair area "Freeride Lab" is the location this year for a transceiver park, though I haven't actually checked it out this winter.
latest report
@kieranm, @offpisteskiing, thanks I guessed it’s a long shot, I might get a cross country lesson anyway or just try source some kit and try it out on one of the cross country trails
snow report
Thank you everyone for the condition updates! Our trip on the 5th is coming up fast. Hoping that forecasted snow shows up. How have the temps been? The app has often showed wind chills at the peak in VT down around 0F aka -18C which has me worried about whether I've got the gear to handle it.
snow conditions
@visualx, I was there last week. It was lovely. Wind chill at the peak of VT doesn't tell you a lot about the temperature on a sunny restaurant terrace in Courchevel. There is perhaps a skill in knowing where to go for the best conditions on any particular day but I wouldn't worry - you'll have a great time I'm sure.
snow report
@visualx, temps have been mostly chilly, which has helped the snow conditions hugely. Having said that the sun has warmed up the snow a bit on south facing slopes in early afternoon. Once the sun drops down it can start to feel cold. I suppose one way to gauge it is whether you want to each lunch outside. At 1.30pm yesterday, we chose inside over a sunny sheltered terrace at about 1800m as we could tell that by 2.30pm we’d be huddling together with our glove liners on!
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
@joffy69, theoretically, at the foot of the two unpisted runs that come down from the ex-Creux Noirs chair area "Freeride Lab" is the location this year for a transceiver park, though I haven't actually checked it out this winter.

Thanks, will check it out.
snow report
No sign of any transceiver park at the foot of the Freeride Lab when I was there a couple of days ago. Also note the transceiver checker device at the top of the Freeride Lab is not working.
To be honest I never found the transceiver parks any use for training in the past. Half the time they didnt work at all and the rest of the time they were not very reliable, so no great loss in my opinion. Just burying a transceiver in a backpack is far more useful.
snow conditions
@snowrider, was just trying to think back to when i have been down Creux with Jr & Jr-ette this year (though mostly that is at fairly high speed now...) - didn't particularly notice anything and normally a transceiver park is quite noticeable...
3V website still shows this info half way down the page though: https://www.les3vallees.com/en/news/ski-area-news
snow report
Just got back from Fernie, where there is one, and it's definitely working. Quite good, as far as I know.

What does this mean?
The Freeride Lab of Courchevel raises the game again
The security checked area continues to grow with a new DVA (avalanche victim detection) park located at the foot of the two ungroomed ski runs accessible by those equipped with touring skis and skins. The perfect place to practise avalanche victim searching by looking for beacons buried in the snow with your detector. Practice, practice, practice!

That you can only access the area on skins?
latest report
The access to the Freeride Lab slopes is a groomed path. You can skin up it, but just as quick to walk by the time you put skins on and off. Approx 5 mins to the Red piste, 10mins to the black piste, 15 mins to the top which accesses unsecured off piste.
snow report
Hi All,

We're coming out for our usual half term jaunt to Les Menuires - we have 4 teenagers in tow - all jabbed and so should be no problems uploading QR codes to the TousAntiCovid App

Just wondered how often QR codes are being asked for. I was half thinking about going all 90s and digging out some old lift pass wallets (the see through ones you used to wear on your sleeve in the days when your lift pass had a photo on) and putting a copy of the QR code in to save having to get phones out all the time. If the codes are checked is it just someone eyeballing them or do they actually scan them?

Thanks in advance
snow report
Not checked very often, but when checked its a full scan with a checking app on a mobile phone so that the expiry date etc can be verified.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonathancarty wrote:
Hi All,

We're coming out for our usual half term jaunt to Les Menuires - we have 4 teenagers in tow - all jabbed and so should be no problems uploading QR codes to the TousAntiCovid App

Just wondered how often QR codes are being asked for. I was half thinking about going all 90s and digging out some old lift pass wallets (the see through ones you used to wear on your sleeve in the days when your lift pass had a photo on) and putting a copy of the QR code in to save having to get phones out all the time. If the codes are checked is it just someone eyeballing them or do they actually scan them?

Thanks in advance

I might be worth printing off the QR code anyway in case your phone goes dead and you are denied access to a bar
ski holidays
Thanks - presumably the QR code we need is the 1 generated from the NHS App for my 3rd vaccine uploaded to the TousAntiCovid App
latest report
Bassman wrote:
jonathancarty wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance

I might be worth printing off the QR code anyway in case your phone goes dead and you are denied access to a bar

Great idea - laminating it with a lanyard would be even better ...
snow report
TOMORROWWWWW
latest report
Quote:

Great idea - laminating it with a lanyard would be even better ...

Any excuse to get the laminator out Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
We’ve printed our Tousanticovid QR codes as it’s quite handy to have them on hand in a pocket . Today we were checked at one lift in VT. Some restaurants scan your code as you enter before you get a table. Others wait til you’ve sat down.
ski holidays
Perty wrote:
We’ve printed our Tousanticovid QR codes as it’s quite handy to have them on hand in a pocket . Today we were checked at one lift in VT. Some restaurants scan your code as you enter before you get a table. Others wait til you’ve sat down.

Thanks @Perty - will download mine this weekend as flying out on Wednesday, do I just need the booster code or all 3?
ski holidays
Lanyards, laminated cards? This pandemic is worse than I thought. We have gone back to the stone age.
snow conditions
jonathancarty wrote:
Thanks - presumably the QR code we need is the 1 generated from the NHS App for my 3rd vaccine uploaded to the TousAntiCovid App

Yes, and whilst printing one is a good backup, making the booster QR your fave in the TAC wallet, AND making it the lockscreen on your phone has worked very well for me.

Been here since Saturday 22nd, been asked for it about 4 times, once on a lift.
ski holidays
@jonathancarty, we’ve been in Les Menuires for nearly two weeks and every restaurant visited has scanned for a QR code, even if just sitting outside for a coffee.

The NHS apps Covid pass for travel now scans fine, there’s no real need to use the TousAntiCovid one. When I offered my first jab QR by mistake it was rejected as invalid, the booster works okay.

Looks like you might arrive for some fresh snow!
latest report
You just need the QR code for your booster jab.
snow report
kditrj2d wrote:
You just need the QR code for your booster jab.

Agreed. Our NHS Booster QR code worked well in France over the past 2 weeks. There is no need to faff with the French app wink .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy