Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2021/22 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Apart from the continually closed lifts (Coqs, Forêt) there have been some random temporary lift closures, as I understand it still due to staffing issues, and dealing with lifty lunch breaks and so on.

@skichampcouk, yep the free parking in Le Praz is mostly a thing of the past as of about 3 ago now, bit of a chore, particularly as the Jean Blanc car park (the old big free one just after the left hand bend as you leave Le Praz) seems to be mostly empty these days... The Alpinium parking is incredibly handy though... at a price.

Another blue sky day, pistes in great condition, getting a tad firm in places as you would expect. Still plenty of soft to be found off piste but aspect is crucial to avoid crustage. Mostly I have been skiing en famille this weekend, which is starting to get quite spicy...:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYywpc-PDe3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fabulous skiing today from La Tania. Perfect weather. However busier than I expected on the chair lifts. I think as people were aiming to go on in their family groups it meant a lot of 2 people on 6 people chairs, so longer queues. Nothing terrible though. We shared a 6 person a couple of times, but 2 and 2 so space between.
Bubbles we had to ourselves every time, we didn’t do gondelas.

Only probs is we missed getting onto the Folyers (or whatever the blue run into la Tania is) to get home. Any suggestions where to pick it up?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Lucywuk go past the bottom of le Dou des Lanches chairlift to get to the top of Folyeres. It is easy to turn right too soon, if you are coming from the direction of the Bouc Blanc restaurant. Hopefully, it will be less busy tomorrow, once the weekenders have gone.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike S wrote:
@Lucywuk go past the bottom of le Dou des Lanches chairlift to get to the top of Folyeres. It is easy to turn right too soon, if you are coming from the direction of the Bouc Blanc restaurant. Hopefully, it will be less busy tomorrow, once the weekenders have gone.

There was a signpost then it looked like it was only going to the ski nordiques. Is that the way? (If so we turned back lol)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perty wrote:
Fabulous sunny day on the slopes today, but surprisingly busy. Lift passes have been discounted by 20% on Saturdays and the Les Men/St Martin pass is €29 on Sats rather than €54. The St M car park was rammed. I’m hoping they’ve now all gone home! We headed to 1650 and had a great lunch at Copina. Not sure what the deal is with lifts over there-The Coqs chair is closed, and I think the Forêt chair up from Le Praz is also not running, which put paid to a speedy diversion down Saulire all the way to Le Praz and then to La T. Piste conditions are almost all excellent. I think there is some decent off piste to be found, but as this was my first full day on skis for 22 months (save a handful of runs on the Tignes glacier in July), I decided not to test my thighs too much! This was the first proper test of my Salomon Stance 88 skis and I’m pretty pleased with them too Very Happy .

Good to hear. Anyone know if the Meribel valley is doing a similar special offer for Saturday (thinking next week 23rd)?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was thinking of a trip to 3V staying in VT from 12th March and have noticed the FIS WC finals are scheduled.....races are on Eclipse and Roc de Fer from 14th-20th.......how will this impact a 'normal' ski trip? Guessing Chaudanne is out of bounds?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not at all. Races are over by lunchtime but all other areas of the Chaudanne are accessible during the races anyway. There'll be a grandstand and some tents etc. up at the bottom of the stade but that's all. There are also tunnels under both race pistes to keep punters circulating on other pistes and lifts as normal.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RobJsy, The races can't block off Chaudanne as so many lifts go through it.

I would guess that some grandstand seating will be built as the finals are a test for the 2023 World Championships, there will only be 25 racers in each event so there won't be a huge number of support people for them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks both for insights.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don’t know anyone else in 3V this week, but I think it’s busier than last time we came. Same week in 2019.

I think the weather maybe helping with a full week of blue sky, but the pistes themselves feel busier. The lift queues are longer but that’s as lifts are going up half full so not an issue. But considering the 3v is so driven by the English and we were here by Sat 15th I’m surprised. Genuinely thought it would be dead. That saying La Tania is very very quiet as are restaurants and lunch places on the mountains. Not complaining though it’s amazing conditions
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll be in Meribel-Mottaret in just over two weeks. First time outside of north America. Usually go to Whistler, Colorado or Utah. Not sure what to expect. I see Lucywuk says conditions are amazing. I'm confused because it doesn't look like there has been snow recently or that there will be much for snow fall before we arrive. I also saw some very warm days above freezing followed by very cold days. I'd think there would be a lot of ice? I saw 40s and 50s at the base a week ago and -18 below on the peak with the wind chill today! I need to rent some skis but I don't know if I should go with something narrow with good edge hold for icey piste carving or an all mountain in the 90s for on and off piste. Can someone explain how the conditions can be good and what I should be looking for in a rental ski? How do you stay warm when it's -18 below, yikes! Hoping the Les 3 Vallees weather report in their app is broken!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pay for your rental now, but choose a ski when you arrive based on conditions at that time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Firstly I would say European skiing is unlike North America, there is less snow and it’s is pisted well. There was about 90cm I think on 9th/10th Jan and they keeps things good.
Currently it’s pretty warm to be honest, although yesterday we went to VT and it was noticeably colder. I was only wearing long sleeve T-shirt and no other base layers, so I felt it. Usually I’ll wear base layer leggings and long sleeve top. Plus short sleeve T-shirt in warmer days or light long sleeve fleece on coldest ones. I’ve not needed a fleece in years even in total whiteouts. Good quality jacket and trousers tbh.

Ski rental tends to come in ranges blue for beginners and black to gold for advanced. We like solid carving skiing and not expert level as stick mainly to reds and not bumps. So book skis and discuss on arrival.

There is some ice now on areas, not terrible, I’ve known it worse but it can catch you out. It did me yesterday in the run home and not concentrating. A delicate slip and no skis lost just so knackered to stand up Very Happy so needed a husband to haul me up!! Most runs are lovely they are brilliant protecting the snow in these large resorts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@visualx, I'd also say the North America resorts that say icy conditions would be described as firm pistes in Europe (massive generalisation!!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking forward to it. Arriving on Tuesday night. Blue sky skiing on a good cover. Don't need much more than that!
ski holidays
@FrediKanoute, TR Please Smile
latest report
@visualx, you're going to get a shock if you compare French skiing conditions with Colorado and by your standards, yes it probably will seem icy. European snow is much less forgiving than west North America; some rainy days in Whistler might be the closest comparison! Although I've not skied the East Coast of America, my understanding is that that would be a much fairer comparison for snow quality. Don't worry about the temperature, it's France, not Alberta.

On the plus side, you're going to be amazed by the sheer scale of the place and the lift system. You could fit all of Whistler-Blackcomb just in the Courchevel valley and there's another 3 valleys to explore on top of Courchevel (yes, 3 more, not 2, there's a fourth valley called Orelle the far side of Val Thorens!).

In order to make the most of your trip, you need to be able to navigate between valleys at a good speed so a decent piste orientated all mountain ski would be best. What American ski reviewers often refer to as a frontside ski - 80-85mm waist. Of course if you're really concerned about edge grip you could go narrower still. Personally, I haven't used anything other than a Kastle MX83 throughout the season for years. If the forecast is snow, then all mountain east - 85-90mm would work if you really intend exploring off the sides but any new snow gets tracked out very quickly so I'd be inclined not to bother. Remember also that off-piste is not patrolled in Europe.

Make sure you download the 3V App onto your phone so you can keep track of where you are and don't get stuck in the wrong valley at the end of the day. Mottaret is the middle valley, the easiest to get back to and a great base for exploring so it shouldn't happen but really, the sheer distance you can cover in a day without going anywhere near a bus or skiing the same run twice will amaze you. Enjoy our playground! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
visualx You won't find much in the way of off-piste at the moment, unless you are prepared to climb. Most accessible areas are tracked out. On piste conditions are still good, particularly if you get out early. Courchevel pistes tend to be better groomed than elsewhere. You certainly want good edges. When it is cold, it is a good idea to work out which slopes will be in the sun at what time. If you are staying in Mottaret, I would recommend getting on the first lift up Pas du Lac at 9am. Usually gets you to the top before anyone else, so that you can get the first run down Creux. Take the first left turn to the Suisse chair to get back up, as Marmottes is unlikely to be running until at least 9.30 am. You can then do Suisse, Marmottes and/or Park City depending on what has been groomed. Can usually get in four or five runs before it starts to get busy then move on. The lower runs into Mottaret (Aigle and Martre) can get pretty icy in the afternoon, so often better to choose a route that avoids the high traffic areas (eg return via Legends or St Martin Express 2). As others have said, it is very useful to have les 3 Vallees app, so that you can see which lifts are running and what runs have been pisted. Watch out for upper lift closures, due to high wind, and missing the last lifts, which prevent you from getting back into the Meribel valley. Taxis back from Les Menuires or Courchevel will be over 100 Euros. Have fun!
snow report
Another blue sky day!!!
We are being a tad lazy this year and not out until around 10am from la Tania but we found perfect corduroy at 11am off the Pralong!
Also a late late lunch at the Bouc Blanc in La Tania. Seriously one of the nices places, inside has a great view down the valley that we were expecting.
Only issue is I now must ski home after a Demi of red wine!!!
ski holidays
@Lucywuk, one of the reasons the Bouc Blanc is so popular is because you can walk straight from the front door onto the LT gondola if you're too smashed to ski.... Laughing
snow conditions
Raceplate wrote:
@Lucywuk, one of the reasons the Bouc Blanc is so popular is because you can walk straight from the front door onto the LT gondola if you're too smashed to ski.... Laughing

Yeah we left at 16:20 and there were plenty still drinking.

But we were surprised as we’ve skied past loads and not really noticed it. Inside it’s lovely and a great window view down over the valley. My husband didn’t want to go there as it ‘wasn’t in the sun’. I was cold so wanted to be inside so didn’t care. Starting skiing at 10 by 15:15 I was pretty flipping hangry. And I’m a t&&t and we’d come down the red run (where I’d fallen the day before) was cut off by an esf instructor and missed turning to the place skied straight past like an idiot. So by the time we’d gone back up I was losing the plot.

Hence my joy at a pitcher of red, fab food and great view.
snow report
@visualx, it sounds like the timing of your trip coincides with the first week of the french half term holidays (which are spread over 4 weeks). It will feel busy. Get out early- ski schools set off at 9.30am, so beat the queues of kids and their instructors (and their parents) by being at the lifts when/before they open at 9am. You will have a good hour of cruising about on beautiful corduroy.
If you’re in Mottaret, these would be my “must do’s” first thing as you’re likely to be one of the first at the top (looks like I’m not the first to make these suggestions). NB- make sure you buy a 3V pass, not just a Meribel one. A piste map is essential.

1. At 9am I’d be tempted to be at the head of the queue for the Pas du Lac bubble up to the top of Saulire (stay on the lift at the first stop), then blast down Creux to the very bottom (ski past the two lifts half way down).
2. Same time and same lift to the top, this time head down the Combe de Saulire and just keep going into Courchevel 1850, then ..keep going …follow the signs for Le Praz. Re Le Praz- if it hasn’t snowed much the run down from 1850 can be a bit hard.
3. Same time but take Plattieres bubble then follow signs at top for Cote Brune (but ski past it and head down to Mont Vallon bubble. At top take Combe du Vallon.
It is right there’s not been much fresh snow recently (though this afternoon we found some lovely light fluff that had fallen over the last couple of days-3 inches or so-above St Martin and had fun off the side of Jerusalem), but the conditions on piste are great, if a little hard at the end of the day. It’s been cold, Snow making is extensive too.
I’d rent a piste ski, as others say -80/85, and then go fatter if you get some serious off piste opportunities. Please don’t go exploring off piste on your own without a guide and avi gear. It’s not ‘in bounds’, patrolled and avi controlled like NA. That said, if there is new snow, the OP will be tracked v v quickly.
However, there are some designated free ride zones these days which you can do in good visibility. We like-
Above St Martin-basically the wide area between the pistes Pramint and Jerusalem; off the top of the Teppes drag lift and down to the right of the lift.

The extent of the skiing here, even without fresh powder, is pretty mind blowing. Maybe I’m a bit biased, but come over to the St Martin area and ski Jerusalem (a piste that’s always “up there” on peoples favourites list. The lift system is great and if you’re a decent skier you will travel miles. Each resort has a different feel. Make sure you drink plenty of vin chaud (hot spiced wine) and experience proper lunch on the mountain.

Don’t get stuck in the Belleville valley when the lifts close (around 4.30pm). It’s a long, expensive taxi ride down the mountain and back up to Meribel. But don’t worry about that too much, it usually takes just a couple of lifts to get back over, even from Val Tho. Thankfully it’s not quite such a mission as between Courchevel and Meribel.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 21-01-22 21:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
100% Jerusalem there’s something about it. We are doing the other run of mont Vallon and then jerelusalem a couple of times tomorrow before we meander back. We have to be in the car by 3pm.
Didn’t much like the piste to Le Praz today, remembered it as a fave but it wasn’t so nice.
Another nice area is Pointe de La Masse in Les Menuires. Great new viewing platform on a nice day and some lovely reds and blues (reds are better there we found)
Tbh everything is skiing well isn’t it!
snow report
Had a great day today with Mountain guide Carine Saiag from Val Thorens Mountain Guides. https://www.ski-tour-guide.com/en/about-our-guides/. In fact she lives on the edge of St Martin, so met us at the St M bubble. We headed over to the Vallée des Avals in a group of 4. Languages spoken French, Spanish and English. Carine spoke them all as did the other two skiers in the group, while Mr P and I endeavoured to practise our french from time to time. It all worked well. I highly recommend her. She’s calm and was very helpful towards a true novice (me!) regarding touring. (Note to self, never again will I try kick turns in “snug” ski trousers Very Happy)
Despite the extensive tracks, with a bit of skinning up, we found some really lovely areas of soft untouched snow all in the midst of beautiful backcountry. Now in need of a lie down!
snow conditions
I arrive on 29th. Can’t wait.

Anyone there and wanna meet for a pint
snow conditions
Wow, what an excellent community here! Thank you so much @kditrj2d, @Lucywuk, @kitenski, @Raceplate, @Mike S and @Perty for your quick and helpful replies. I'll definitely be referencing and trying the lift and trail tips from @Mike S, and @Perty. I'm definitely not looking forward to getting there and fingers crossed that rona doesn't get me between now and then but I'm really looking forward to hitting the slopes on the 6th!
snow report
@dunc999 https://www.skipass-meribel.com/en/les-3-vallees-le-samedi
ski holidays
Lucywuk wrote:
100% Jerusalem there’s something about it. We are doing the other run of mont Vallon and then jerelusalem a couple of times tomorrow before we meander back. We have to be in the car by 3pm.
Didn’t much like the piste to Le Praz today, remembered it as a fave but it wasn’t so nice.
Another nice area is Pointe de La Masse in Les Menuires. Great new viewing platform on a nice day and some lovely reds and blues (reds are better there we found)

Jerusalem + Biolley (or Loy) down to St Martin is as close you'll ever get to to an on-piste orgasm ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quick Q - we are staying in Le Praz on Friday 18 February and have accommodation booked in Mottaret for the following week ... what's the best way of getting from Le Praz to Mottaret on that Saturday AM (we'd like to be up there early so that we can ski all day). Taxi is the obvious choice but are there any buses running that link the two? Thanks
snow report
@franga There is no longer a bus from Le Praz to Meribel. http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/skibus.htm The only bus option would be to go down to Moutier and back up, which wouldn't be worth the hassle. Might be worth trying https://www.3vt.co.uk/ . Have also heard that Uber can be a lot cheaper than a regular taxi.
snow conditions
franga wrote:
Lucywuk wrote:

Jerusalem + Biolley (or Loy) down to St Martin is as close you'll ever get to to an on-piste orgasm ...

Well that’s a way to describe it!!! Lol. We did it twice on our last day. Even the ESF instructor we met on a lift recommended it as the best run right now. And it was nearly empty Saturday lunchtime
ski holidays
Mike S wrote:
@franga There is no longer a bus from Le Praz to Meribel. http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/skibus.htm The only bus option would be to go down to Moutier and back up, which wouldn't be worth the hassle. Might be worth trying https://www.3vt.co.uk/ . Have also heard that Uber can be a lot cheaper than a regular taxi.

Thank you @Mike S ... will look at those options.
snow report
If you hadn't got much luggage and are fit strong and adventurous could you take the Vizelle bubble up with your luggage and walk across to the top of the Pas du Lac bubble and down load in it?
snow conditions
If you hadn't got much luggage and are fit strong and adventurous could you take the Vizelle bubble up with your luggage and walk across to the top of the Pas du Lac bubble and down load in it?
ski holidays
bezthespaniard wrote:
I arrive on 29th. Can’t wait.

Anyone there and wanna meet for a pint

I also arrive on the 29th and would be happy to have a pint or a glass of red.

I'll be with my 18 yo daughter. We are both experienced skiers and p-t coaches/instructors in Colorado, but this will be our first time skiing in 3 V. My daughter has dual French citizenship and I skied a lot at Les Arcs back in 2007-08 so we have some understanding of French skiing.

Have read over the thread and appreciate all the tips, but am not sure which are most relevant with Brides-Les-Bains as our base.

Also looking to hook up with an off piste guide or group for a day or two. My daughter has more of a racing background and isn't up for a lot of hiking. We both can handle steeps, but looking mainly for low av risk stuff without high consequences.
snow report
@franga, how about la praz to brides on bus, then bubble to Meribel?

Or free bus to la Tania and taxi from there?
snow report
After some great piste conditions last week getting pretty scrapey today on virtually all the pistes in VT, Meribel and Les Menuires. Courchevel seems a bit better but need some fresh stuff.
snow report
My mates are there this week, for a plethora of reasons I couldn't join them, and they have just sent me a video of them skiing down the run to St. Martin today - no exaggeration, completely deserted in glorious sunshine rolling eyes
ski holidays
Heavy snow is forecast for Monday and Tuesday, next week. snowHead
ski holidays
Mike S wrote:
Heavy snow is forecast for Monday and Tuesday, next week. snowHead

I've been here all week and whilst I've enjoyed the quietness, would have loved some fresh snow but can't complain, glad to be back!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy