Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2021/22 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
@Mike S, it literally says disruption will be on Friday and you should travel on Saturday instead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oleski wrote:
@Mike S, it literally says disruption will be on Friday and you should travel on Saturday instead

Point taken but it is likely that there will be disruptions on Saturday, as a consequence.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike S wrote:
Expect disruptions on the roads in the Savoie region if you are travelling on Friday or Saturday.

Announcement from the Prefecture of the Savoie:
"Due to exceptional snowfall tomorrow on the day of Friday, December 10, Pascal Bolot, Préfet de la Savoie, calls on motorists entering the department's ski stations to be particularly vigilant.
From dawn, snowfalls will take place on all the massive Savoryards. They will be intense in the morning, especially in the valleys (about 20 cm in Albertville). The snowy episode will continue throughout the afternoon and some into the night. Over 1,200 meters of altitude, at least 50 cm of snow is expected.
Traffic conditions will be particularly difficult on the access routes serving ski stations.
Chaining vehicles will be mandatory to be able to drive from 1000 meters altitude.
Pascal Bolot, prefect of la Savoie, invites to the highest precaution and calls on drivers to equip themselves with essential equipment to access the stations.
It encourages drivers who are not equipped with special equipment to postpone, 24 hours, their arrival at stations, from Friday to Saturday. It is recommended that drivers keep a hotel for the night of Friday, December 10th to Saturday, December 11th before arriving at the confluence of the Tarantaise and Maurienne valleys
and to get into the station at the end of the episode."

Many thanks for this info. Took the decision at 5pm to leave the PSB in Tignes and get back to the apartment in St Martin. Took the snow socks off on the outskirts of Tignes and made it to St Martin without any problems. Hoping roads will be clear by Saturday for the drive to Calais.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hottubometer on our webcam this morning 1450 m (it’s the almost invisible square shape at

the back of the garden), plus a screenshot from snow clearing at the back. We normally get the snow plough down, but I guess the council have other priorities, as there are just a couple of houses on our road, both us and next door which is a private holiday home. Basically that’s the depth (up to his thighs Shocked ) that had fallen by yesterday since Tuesday..

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Folks,

Heading out to Meribel on 18th December, arriving in Grenoble at 8.30am and looking to share a transfer to 3 valleys.
Returning from Meribel to Lyon Airport on 22nd at 2pm if anyone wants to buddy up.

Cheers
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With another foot of overnight snow, it was a struggle to get out of the apartment with powder coming up to our thighs. There were more lifts scheduled to open today but many of the upper lifts and 3V links were delayed due to the high avalanche risk (4/5). There was some great powder skiing to be had on some of the newly opened pistes and the snow conditions everywhere were excellent. Unfortunately, it remained cloudy for most of the day, which made skiing at some times difficult. The first lift queues of the season were encountered down in the Chaudanne, around 11 am on the Tougnette 1 lift. There was no social distancing but nearly everyone was wearing masks or buffs. With St Martin 1 & 2 open, it was possible to get down to St Martin and back, although Jerusalem and Pramint were closed. It was staggering to see how much more building had taken place in St Martin, with a new 4*hotel and many more apartments. The forecast for the week looks great, with sun and light winds Cool .

Le Hameau Mottaret

St Martin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Robbieog11 wrote:
Hi Folks,

Heading out to Meribel on 18th December, arriving in Grenoble at 8.30am and looking to share a transfer to 3 valleys.
Returning from Meribel to Lyon Airport on 22nd at 2pm if anyone wants to buddy up.

Cheers

A good idea, in principle. But what happens if you or the other party test positive just before the trip home? Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I seem to remember seeing somewhere that there is a company from down the hill supplying part prepared meals to Chalets in the 3Vs … do any Snowheads know anyone offering this type of service? Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DavidYacht I have come across http://chezvous.laterrasseduvillage.com/ but haven't tried them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DavidYacht Also http://www.hu.ski/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just came back from 2 days working away and the garden has almost completely dissappeared... (for reference see my picture from a couple of days ago..!):

Blue skies and good snow up in Courchevel today. Vizelle had a big queue after lunch (better get used to that for this winter with Saulire out of action for the foreseeable...), but generally very little queueing.
Family skiing then back down to Bozel with offpisteskiing junior - still plenty of fresh to be had all the way down!

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bergmeister wrote:
Robbieog11 wrote:
Hi Folks,

Cheers

A good idea, in principle. But what happens if you or the other party test positive just before the trip home? Puzzled

More interested in sharing a transfer from Grenoble to Meribel on Saturday morning the 18th so we can get most skiing time on Saturday. Any one else arriving from UK to Grenoble that morning that wishes to share? Thanks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fabulous conditions today with very few people on the slopes now that the weekenders have gone. Amazing to see how much of the accessible off-piste had been tracked out in the previous 24hrs, despite the high avalanche warnings. Headed over to Courchevel 1650 for the first time. Not all the lifts were open but it was very nice and quiet. Also went down to La Tania to see the modifications to the beginners area. A definite improvement with the nursery slope now seperated from the main thoroughfare. Surprised to find the bakery seemingly closed. On our return, we found the Bouc Blanc lift not running but the Dou des Lanches chair open. The Blvd de Loze is still roped off and Pic Bleu was fairly mogully making the return to the Meribel valley by this route intimidating for beginners. We also found the Altiport chair and the Foret rope tow not running, necessitating some poling to get back to the Rond Pont. Looking for a lunch stop in Mottaret, we discovered that the Zig Zag has now closed and been converted in a new takeaway and pizza area for Le Rastro. More sunshine forecast for the rest of the week. Cool

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Evening all

Apologies if this has been answered (I'm sure it has somewhere) but regarding buffs/masks in the 3V what is the current accepted covering? We always wear buffs/snoods anyway so pulling these up on the lifts or going inside will be no issue for us. But do we have to get special ones with the filters in? I see the 3V website is selling some, but is this just a marketing ploy or would it just be easier to buy these so that the staff recognise them?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our first two days in the 3V has been limited to Les Menuires/St Martin. Standard buffs have been the norm although rare for the lift staff to ask for anything since it is very quiet this week. Most people have been keeping them on in the cabins but not necessarily on the chairs. I have a 3V one included with my season pass but at the moment it makes no difference.
snow report
Fridge03 wrote:
Evening all

Apologies if this has been answered (I'm sure it has somewhere) but regarding buffs/masks in the 3V what is the current accepted covering? We always wear buffs/snoods anyway so pulling these up on the lifts or going inside will be no issue for us. But do we have to get special ones with the filters in? I see the 3V website is selling some, but is this just a marketing ploy or would it just be easier to buy these so that the staff recognise them?

Standard buffs fine. Approx 25% of people making no effort to use anything and are very rarely being pulled up for it.
ski holidays
Thanks both. 45 days and counting! Can't wait!
latest report
Hi All,
We have 2 seats available from Grenoble Airport - Meribel on Saturday morning at 9am if anyone is arriving in Grenoble from UK.
Cheers
snow report
Another glorious day in the 3Vs with higher temperatures (freezing level 1900m). Mt Vallon was open for the first time and the snow conditions were excellent both on and off piste. Also tried out the new La Masse gondola, which is impressively quick (8 min ascent). Watch out for the steps, on the excalator at the top, which are extremely slippery in ski boots. There are still surprisingly few lifts open in Les Menuires (Doron, Roc 1; Bruyeres; Becca and Granges) offering limited routes back into the Meribel valley. The lifts in the Roc de Fer area (Legends; Chereferie, Caves and Olympic) also remained closed. More sun forecast.

Top of La Masse
snow conditions
Mild!

Had a quick slide around over Les Menuires side today - board at the bottom of Doron was showing +9C at 11:30! (though that thermometer is obviously in the sun). La Masse looking a bit different now without the chairs and the top section of the old bubble... the routing of the new lift was interesting to see - makes it a little harder to scope out the Lac Noir lines but then again maybe that is no bad thing...
Getting back out from La Masse was a pain at lunch-time as it was on a go-slow/stop/go-slow so the queue was fairly mahoosive (particularly when there were no queues on any other lift all the time I was out!).
Also had a first spin up the new Bouqetins chair (ex-Plattieres 3) - much easier than trying to squeeze into the old cabins (or fit any skis wider than a toothpick into the ski holders on the old P3!).

Off piste most definitely starting to feel the effects of the sun/mild temperatures, but shady slopes still very good!
ski holidays
Snow looking epic in Courch for xmas!
http://youtube.com/v/WDrtmur6g6g
snow conditions
only if you can get there!
latest report
michaeljohn9191 wrote:
Snow looking epic in Courch for xmas!
http://youtube.com/v/WDrtmur6g6g

Like Bullseye. Here's what you could have had! rolling eyes Sad Sad

Our 3Vs season passes are looking like a sad "investment" now that we are back in the UK.

We got back last night from a brilliant week in Val Thorens and think that makes the current situation feel worse. Here's what you could have had, indeed! Sad
ski holidays
We feel very sorry for all the people who were planing on coming out and all the businesses that have been affected. Hopefully, the situation will improve and travel restrictions will be lifted.
In the meantime, I hope that is not adding salt to the wounds to keep reporting on conditions on the slopes.
It was another fantastic, sunny day with a temperature inversion giving +6C at 3000m. It is noticeable that the snow has gone from many of the trees but the pistes are still in excellent condition and there is still good powder to be found off piste.
We ventured over to VT and the Orelle Valley, which was noticeably busier than other parts of the 3Vs, with Ski and Boarder Week in progress, but still relatively quiet and barely any queues.
The new Orelle-Caron looked very impressive and certainly provides an interesting new access route to VT.
The forecast suggests that it is going to remain clear with freeze thaw conditions into next week with the next snow anticipated on Christmas Day.

Inversion

Orelle-Caron mid station

Orelle valley
snow conditions
Coming to La Tania from Uk tomorrow. Does it feel like resorts could be made to close anytime soon?
ski holidays
No suggestion so far but they gave only 4 hours notice in 2020.
ski holidays
ianvip wrote:
Coming to La Tania from Uk tomorrow. Does it feel like resorts could be made to close anytime soon?
No but the enforcement of rules last Saturday when all the locals came up from the valley was non existent. If that continues when it gets busy over Xmas and New Year, I can see case numbers going up rapidly and it's possible.

Also, if you're coming to LT I hope you have had a booster. I know of some current cases here but people with a booster seem ok so far from what I can tell.
snow report
The snow in Méribel this morning is absolutely glorious. First day of opening for most of the area, crisp corduroy everywhere. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was in La Tania about 5 years ago and still have a look at Tim Walls weather report. So disappointed by what France has done on Friday, more political than anything to do with the virus....I hope these businesses keep going.

http://youtube.com/v/lklrLUffNUA&t=98s
snow report
@Simon94, I was only saying to the wife yesterday how so very upbeat Tim always is but he doesn't in this. And for good reason.
latest report
Simon94 wrote:
Was in La Tania about 5 years ago and still have a look at Tim Walls weather report. So disappointed by what France has done on Friday, more political than anything to do with the virus....I hope these businesses keep going.

I feel sorry for the guy, but this all essentially just reflects the choices we (the British) have made. IMV, covid has only accelerated things. It is extremely naive to still have a business model dependent upon British tourists at this time. There is also a very good case for the French to take the pain now, and rebalance their resorts away from our business.

There does seem to be something almost colonial in some of the responses from people in the UK ski sector. We don't have the right to anything we want in France, just because we have money. Viewed in 50 years, British alpine skiing will be seen as a historical anomaly.
snow conditions
@JamesHJ, not sure of your logic there but I guess this is the wrong thread for such discussion.
snow conditions
JamesHJ wrote:
Simon94 wrote:

There does seem to be something almost colonial in some of the responses from people in the UK ski sector. We don't have the right to anything we want in France, just because we have money. Viewed in 50 years, British alpine skiing will be seen as a historical anomaly.

As Jim Royle would say... "Anomaly my ar5e."

How can a sport that has been practised by Brits for 100 years, and which will still be practised in another 50 years (in higher resorts, at least) be regarded as an anomaly? Puzzled
latest report
All the lifts in the Meribel valley are now operating and nearly all the runs, except a few black runs (ie Tetras, Ecureuil & Sanglier) and the Village run down to Les Allues. It didn't appear to be as busy on the slopes or in the lift queues as last weekend but this may have been due to more of the resort being open. The car parks, however, were noticeably fuller. The on piste conditions are still good, although some runs are well compacted. The forecast for the first part of the week is for more sun and slightly cooler temperatures, with light snow showers on Friday and Saturday.

The new platform at the top of La Masse.
ski holidays
I've just seen a bit of a deal to the 3V for the 8th Jan (a way off I know but hopefully the expected Christmas snow and some after will change things) but I'm just wondering how conditions generally are holding up.

Anyone out there? Any updates, just very general......

Also am I right in thinking you can get PCR tests in Meribel?
snow conditions
@rogg, I was there until two days ago. It's probably the best start to a season since 2007. I was there for 10 days and didn't see a single cannon running in the whole time I was there because it wasn't necessary. The key thing is, you've got a good base so as long as it's cold enough to run the cannons for any top up required, it won't really matter if it doesn't snow again for a while. There's a few rocks coming through on high volume lower runs but in general conditions were excellent.

I skied so many runs that I usually can't be bothered with because they're always in poor condition but this year, many of them were fantastic. I would think if you can get out in January, you should.
ski holidays
@rogg The conditions are still very good, though can be a bit hard and icy on the lower runs after the freeze thaw conditions. A change in the weather is forecast from tomorrow, with more snow and warmer winds from the SW. There could be rain below 1900m. You can get PCR tests in Meribel and Meribel-Mottaret. You need to book online in advance at: https://covid.synlab.fr/static?reverse&groupe=COVID3VALLEES#/F143/appointment
snow report
PCR and lateral flow also available in the Croisette at Courchevel 1850. Same company (synlab). You must book in advance via the web. Also available in the pharmacy in 1850 (different company). Was €44 for a PCR with synlab when I was there earlier in December.
latest report
Thanks fellas. Ill see how my travel partner feels, but think there's a good chance we'll hop it over.

Any further conditions updates very much appreciated....
snow report
@rogg, some of the best conditions for Christmas piste skiing in my memory. Occasional stones and bald patches, but nothing catastrophic. More snow is coming around 28th.

We are in VT, have skied to Meribel, Orelle, Les Menuires, St Marten. Haven't crossed to Courchevel yet as we wouldn't have time to return - we all have morning lessons. Planning to cover everything in the NY week. It's abs beautiful everywhere - sunny and frosty, gets a bit above 0 in afternoon.

The logistical nightmare of last Friday was worth it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy