Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2021/22 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Love Tim's optimism ... however, a big chunk of prospective overseas visitors are now being put-off by the new Swiss measures which also impact GVA arrivals ... I know of 3 families who are hastily trying to cancel their Christmas and NY stays in La Tania. Such a real shame - a coordinated approach and response by the French and the Swiss authorities would have been much more preferable. Fingers crossed for everyone.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@franga, hoping something happens before our January planned trip to Meribel.

As it stands if the rules don't change, i'll be moving our flights from Geneva to Grenoble or Lyon. It means we'll get less ski time, 6 days rather than 8, but that's still 6 more than if we stayed at home!

Fingers crossed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@franga, its of course up to o your friends, but why panic so early? a lot can change in 3 weeks, other airports are available and we don't yet know what, If any, measures France brings in.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oleski wrote:
@franga, its of course up to o your friends, but why panic so early? a lot can change in 3 weeks, other airports are available and we don't yet know what, If any, measures France brings in.

Yes completely agree - all the current measures are precautionary, until they get more evidence. So it makes sense to wait a few days (or a couple of weeks) and that picture will become clearer. I really believe whatever measures are happening now, won't reflect what will be happening in 3 weeks (it'll go one of two ways!).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh, I absolutely agree. My first trip out is at the end of January ... not panicking or worrying about it at all. The friends in question all have children, are part of larger groups with complicated logistics etc. I don't think they'll entertain the idea of not being able to go to LT (if it gets to that) without having alternative plans in place. They spent this weekend looking at alternatives in the UK (lodges in the highlands that can accommodate large groups).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To add a small glimmer of positivity in amongst the current doom and gloom of the latest travel news, the garden-snow-o-meter was looking good this morning:

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Off to the PSB then back to our place in St Martin to (hopefully) ski the first day of the season. Incredibly I have Covid to thank for this opportunity. Normally we would be dashing back to UK on Saturday as there is an annual village Christmas event on the Sunday. But as we will now have to quarantine until getting the results of the PCR we can travel back on the Sunday. Every cloud eh.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Belleville Valley in all it's glory today

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great photos @Oleski, @offpisteskiing!! Conditions must be glorious today!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Oleski, how much is open and assume the recent snow has improved things a fair bit??
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, @Handy Turnip, I am not there yet (I wish Very Happy ). That is a screen shot from the Boismint webcam

https://www.valthorens.com/en/webcam/webcam-boismint
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oleski wrote:
Belleville Valley in all it's glory today

Glorious, 44 days and counting!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Handy Turnip wrote:
@Bergmeister,

Looks like a white-out on the webcams, and could stay like that for the weekend. How long are you in VT for?

We had 4 consecutive days of snow/whiteout but still had a fantastic time. Our last day was yesterday, when we squeezed in a few more runs between 9 and 12.30, before heading back to Geneva.

Yesterday was incredible! Although the sun (as forecast) didn't materialise, the snow stopped falling and (despite the flattish light) conditions were fantastic. We had perfect, soft corduroy pistes and a foot of fresh at the sides. Although we didn't venture more than four feet off piste, in view of the lurking, early season rocks we enjoyed soft, deep powder bumps, mixed with fresh, untracked stuff Very Happy

And it was straight onto every lift, with no queues.

All in all it was a great way to sign off the trip! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, did they demand the 'special' buffs in the lift queues or any old buff was fine?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oleski wrote:
@Bergmeister, did they demand the 'special' buffs in the lift queues or any old buff was fine?

There was no requirement for any "special" face covering, although some lift attendants were actively enforcing the face covering rule - one, ridiculously, to a girl 10 yards ahead of us who was the only one (other than us) anywhere near the chairlift (which was in the open air). rolling eyes

So, in answer to your question, "any old buff was fine."
snow conditions
Some info on covid rules/testing places:

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2021/12/02/latest-covid-related-rules-test-centres-for-courchevel-and-meribel/
snow conditions
@Bassman, where’s your place in St M? We’re up in Villarabout. Have we met without realising we are fellow SHs?(Well..I am, but Mr P just has the benefit of all my nerdy insights gleaned from the forum).
Mr P plus pooch are there at the moment. Meanwhile I’ve been at work living the dream in Derby. Am about to view OH’s footage of his first ski of the winter from today..Jealous? Moi? I think he’s planning to join the hoards for the opening of the new Masse lift tomorrow.
ski holidays
Hi Perty, we’ve not met though have attempted to in the past. We have an apartment in Les Murgers in St Martin. Here Tonight then off to Tignes tomorrow for the PSB. Back next Saturday for the start of the St Martin season. Out here again in January so perhaps will meet then.
ski holidays
How much of the area is open, are the 3 valleys links open yet?
snow report
Radhika wrote:
How much of the area is open, are the 3 valleys links open yet?

The 3Vs links aren't scheduled to open until next weekend.
ski holidays
This is what is supposed to be open: [url=] https://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2022/pdf/4DEC3V.pdf [/url] . Saulire 2 and Pas du Lac were certainly closed yesterday but may have opened at some stage today. Tougnette 2 has been open. Cote Brune opened late morning today but it was difficult to get back to the Meribel valley, as the return runs from the top of Bruyeres 2 (Venturon) and Becca (Alouette) were closed. Granges eventually opened allowing return via Mouflon. Great snow conditions.
snow report
@Bergmeister, limited links open today and should be good for tommorrow
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
@Bergmeister, limited links open today and should be good for tommorrow

That's good news. Looks like I'm a week behind things rolling eyes

We have booked to fly to Lyon on Wednesday, for a week, Covid tests permitting rolling eyes, and plan to get back to Val Thorens. Here's hoping!
snow report
Ok sounds like it’ll be mostly linked up 11dec then for when I arrive! Right now map showing so much closed.. never been this early in the season but was quite looking forward to skiing the whole area if my pcr is negative!
latest report
@Radhika, the area never fully opens until Xmas week (from 18 Dec this year). That's why the lift pass price is reduced for the first 2 weeks of the season. Link opening is usually dependent on snow conditions more than lifts - there's been high avalanche risk this weekend, should be alright in a day or so.

If you want to know what is/isn't open, download the 3V app on your smartphone - it has live listings. Right now, there are 58 lifts and 114 pistes open. VT is about 60% open, other areas about 30%. It's normal, next week will see the other areas get up to about 60% too.
ski holidays
Fabulous conditions today with 3V links open and few people around.

snow report
Mr P making me dribble with jealousy. FYI, he and a friend skied from Les Men to Le Praz and back (Forêt lift shut so he didn’t get to La Tania). I have yet to have a full debrief, but spectacular already springs to mind…
Here are a few pics..including one of our pooch in the garden (1450m) which gives you a really good idea of the snow quality. He’s standing on Venturon. And no, he didn’t go OP, avi risk is 4, though clearly others did!

snow conditions
Quote:
Mr P making me dribble with jealousy.
. That's why you married him Laughing Laughing

Looks great hoping to be there in March Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All being well (fingers crossed considering the current travel crisis) I'll be in Courchevel 1650 on Saturday 11th for my first trip! I've been told to head towards Indiens / Rochers / Signal but those lifts are not showing as open, does anyone know when they will be open?
latest report
A lot more will be open on Saturday 11th so you will have a lot more to do. I’ll be there on Wednesday the 15th too.
latest report
At least 30 cm of overnight snow in Mottaret

snow conditions
Very excited to get out on Saturday, looks amazing!
snow report
Hope the roads clear by the weekend. Apparently, there is gridlock in the valley this morning.
snow conditions
A few links which I hope may be useful for anyone coming out to Meribel/3Vs:

3V app: https://www.les3vallees.com/fr/guide/nos-conseils-pratiques/l-appli-3-vallees
La Tania website: https://www.latania.co.uk/
Radio R' Meribel: https://laradiostation.fr/r-meribel/
3 Valley Avalanche Forecast (Google translated into English): https://www.facebook.com/groups/629559410439267
SCGB Meribel: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCGBMeribel/
Flash Info Tarrentaise 73 (Savoie): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1731305403849643
Savoie Traffic Information: https://savoie-route.fr/?lang=en
Web cams: https://www.snoweye.com/?resort=fr_meribel
snow conditions
Huge amounts of snow coming down at the moment - roads log-jammed since early doors - a friend took more than 45 minutes to get from Le Praz down to the roundabout at Grand Carrey this morning (15 minutes normally). Reports of 60cms at resort level - easily 40cms down in Bozel. Was meant to be skiing with Little Miss Offpisteskiing and Offpisteskiing Junior today, but not too optimistic about being able to get up the hill..!! Belleville Mairie are advising necessary travel only and i believe the road between Les Menuires and Val T was closed temporarily for avalanche danger...

Garden snow-o-meter at 8 this morning:

already 10cms more at 12!
latest report
Too much snow? There was about a foot of snow in Le Praz this morning. I got the bubble up to 1850 to find that nothing would be open until 1000. So I skied back down to Le Praz on my piste skis. I soon realised that they were not the right tools for the job! So I called in at Olympic sport for some 100mm powder skis. By the time I got back up to 1850, the Loze drag was running so I did six laps of that before lunch. Strewth! So much snow! I had first tracks down Coqs (red) and it was as much as I could do to keep the skis going. Up to the knee in quite heavy but loose snow. Very hard work and I fell over many times. Towards the end I did three runs down Jansen (a hidden red that nobody skis coz you cannot see the entry as its over a lip) and snow there was mid thigh. Unfortunately I stopped and then I had to try and restart with a heavy weight of snow on each ski. After lunch I ventured up Verdons and Biollay. Poor vis but nobody there and still fresh tracks to be had down the right hand side of the piste, past the top of Jardin Alpine and back down to the bottom. Once again had to straight line it in order to maintain any momentum.

Blue-sky skiing is nice, but I like the more challenging days too. I haven't had so much fun in ages.

Its been snowing all day and its still coming down. Looking forward to mote fun tomorrow…

Anybody thinking of coming but not sure that they can be bothered with all the travel crap? Do it!!!!
ski holidays
Does anyone know what's likely to be open from the 11th December? Will the links be open at least?
ski holidays
venomizer wrote:
Does anyone know what's likely to be open from the 11th December? Will the links be open at least?

it's going to be sunny and calm and there are tons of snow, so pretty much everything, including links, should be open.
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
venomizer wrote:

it's going to be sunny and calm and there are tons of snow, so pretty much everything, including links, should be open.
As I've already posted above, no it won't all be open. About 60% will be open, full opening isn't until w/c 18th Dec.
snow report
Expect disruptions on the roads in the Savoie region if you are travelling on Friday or Saturday.

Announcement from the Prefecture of the Savoie:
"Due to exceptional snowfall tomorrow on the day of Friday, December 10, Pascal Bolot, Préfet de la Savoie, calls on motorists entering the department's ski stations to be particularly vigilant.
From dawn, snowfalls will take place on all the massive Savoryards. They will be intense in the morning, especially in the valleys (about 20 cm in Albertville). The snowy episode will continue throughout the afternoon and some into the night. Over 1,200 meters of altitude, at least 50 cm of snow is expected.
Traffic conditions will be particularly difficult on the access routes serving ski stations.
Chaining vehicles will be mandatory to be able to drive from 1000 meters altitude.
Pascal Bolot, prefect of la Savoie, invites to the highest precaution and calls on drivers to equip themselves with essential equipment to access the stations.
It encourages drivers who are not equipped with special equipment to postpone, 24 hours, their arrival at stations, from Friday to Saturday. It is recommended that drivers keep a hotel for the night of Friday, December 10th to Saturday, December 11th before arriving at the confluence of the Tarantaise and Maurienne valleys
and to get into the station at the end of the episode."

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 9-12-21 17:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy