Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Hotel/bunkhouse at Nevis Range

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting and I'm assuming this is on site? Anyone know the proposed location? I'm assuming its at the bottom of the hill and not the top of the gondola?

https://www.nevisrange.co.uk/developing-for-the-future-at-nevis-range/

Nevis Range Mountain Experience is delighted to announce a transformative £4m project that will secure the future of the company for generations to come.

On Tuesday 05 October 2021 ground will be broken for a 22-bedroom hotel, 24 berth bunkhouse, bar and restaurant, bike shop, children’s activity center, childcare facilities, and a covered courtyard with an event space.

The project supported by Highlands and Islands Enterprise is expected to take 12 months to build with a planned opening in late November 2022.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow! Nevis will become Scotland's first 'proper' ski resort ie with a hotel - as opposed to camping pods/camping facilities - at the base of the ski area.

I can imagine that the hotel rooms will be expensive and hard to come by. As a lone facility in that location it will be a bit isolated though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice positive post there rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

supported by Highlands and Islands Enterprise is expected to take 12 months to build

With HIE being involved, has anyone checked that they've specified it should have four walls and a roof and that they haven't undertaken it will only be occupied during the daytime?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ben wright, perhaps they'll build a funicular with beds?? Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ben wright wrote:
Quote:

supported by Highlands and Islands Enterprise is expected to take 12 months to build

With HIE being involved, has anyone checked that they've specified it should have four walls and a roof and that they haven't undertaken it will only be occupied during the daytime?

Don’t forget the floor!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or the door!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Nice positive post there
Thanks but it actually went without saying wink
Quote:
Wow! Nevis will become Scotland's first 'proper' ski resort ie with a hotel - as opposed to camping pods/camping facilities - at the base of the ski area

Betcha l'm correct about the rooms being expensive though. The simple concept of supply and demand surely? Hope I'm wrong but can't see any way it will be offering £39 rooms like a Travelodge. Unless, of course... it's a Travelodge Laughing

And could anyone realistically argue that a hotel in Nevis Range car park would not be isolated? Fine by me by the way - but not ideal for any Fort Bill party animals.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nothing wrong with a couple of miles stroll after a few beers. (or in this case, 6 miles).

Just the thing to relax those legs after a day on the hill. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm intrigued by the 'Scottish Highland tapas' Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CathS wrote:
I'm intrigued by the 'Scottish Highland tapas' Laughing

Mini Mars bars in a light tempura batter? Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Meanwhile, the oldest is about to be demolished:

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/pictures-scotlands-very-first-ski-hotel-to-be-knocked-down-252956/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is a small part of what was trumpeted as the Nevis Range Forest Resort 'masterplan' by HIE and FCS back in 2015, the wider plan includes a 5 star hotel and associated facilities located off the Access Road where the best views of the North Face and CMD could be obtained. Natural Retreats were to be HIE's lead partner.... rolling eyes

Having attended an open day about this in the Pine Marten Cafe several of us were of the opinion that the whole thing smacked of HIE maneuvering Nevis Range so as to shift the employment from the mountain to the forest - thus avoiding any local push back about loss of jobs while increasingly winding down Nevis Range as a ski area.

The more involved HIE becomes the more damage is done to Scottish Snowsports. Maybe their upcoming space port will distract them, certainly that should be a successful venture by HIE standards because they've no shortage of rockets and space cadets at their HQ.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Such a shame about Struan House. If anyone wants to read the heartwarming story about the evolution of the ski holiday business in the UK then I recommend the book ‘Struan’. It’s a long way away from the concentional story of alpine skiing and so much more interesting being home grown, albeit with a strong Scottish/Austrian twist. Happy times.

Redevelopment of this site for affordable housing seems fitting. This was the birthplace of affordable skiing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
haggishunter wrote:
day about this in the Pine Marten Cafe several of us were of the opinion that the whole thing smacked of HIE maneuvering Nevis Range so as to shift the employment from the mountain to the forest - thus avoiding any local push back about loss of jobs while increasingly winding down Nevis Range as a ski area.

I don't have your local knowledge, but why should there be an attempt to run down Nevis Range? I had thought it was a success story.
snow conditions
@achilles, I think this refers to the way that Cairngorm has been "managed" by HIE where the funicular was constructed despite local opposition, the alternative access from Coire na Ciste was removed, etc etc
snow report
achilles wrote:
haggishunter wrote:
day about this in the Pine Marten Cafe several of us were of the opinion that the whole thing smacked of HIE maneuvering Nevis Range so as to shift the employment from the mountain to the forest - thus avoiding any local push back about loss of jobs while increasingly winding down Nevis Range as a ski area.

I don't have your local knowledge, but why should there be an attempt to run down Nevis Range? I had thought it was a success story.

Summer diversification welcome : however I have heard suggestion Nevis Range plan to focus on biking rather than skiing.

Local rumours neither Warrens or Braveheart will be prepped to run this winter. Plan basically seems to be Gondola + Snowgoose, seemingly as temporary measure. Frustrating given last two winters had plenty snow but were restricted by covid.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:
I have heard suggestion Nevis Range plan to focus on biking rather than skiing.

So they should. After all it's a world class mountainbike venue in the same way Kitzbühel has The Hahnenkamm. However I can't see why they wouldn't try to maximise both ski and MTB business.

Good for Nevis Range though. It's about time HIE splashed some cash somewhere other than Cairngorm.

Would be good to see plan for the hotel.
snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, thanks. Nevis Range is somewhere I had hoped to ski (particularly when I skied OT) but for various reasons never did, and now quite possibly never will, through domestic circumstances. What I have read suggests it is a great skiing area in good snow conditions. Maybe as suggested by @Pruman, i both ski and MTB business can be promoted.
snow report
Pruman wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
I have heard suggestion Nevis Range plan to focus on biking rather than skiing.

So they should. After all it's a world class mountainbike venue in the same way Kitzbühel has The Hahnenkamm. However I can't see why they wouldn't try to maximise both ski and MTB business.

Good for Nevis Range though. It's about time HIE splashed some cash somewhere other than Cairngorm.

Would be good to see plan for the hotel.

The MTB world cup weekend is huge and generates major income. Outside of that the biking is pretty quiet. Downhill biking a niche sport that requires expensive bike and armour. There is also not much money to be made from XC biking. The new blue downhill trail obviously designed to address that though...

More importantly though the biking (and Highlands) are pretty dead over winter. Between December and April is very much low season apart from snowsport. If we get a snowy winter then the skiing can generate lots of revenue over a short period, but has higher operating costs than the biking (many more lifts, staff, piste bashers etc). Therefore if something needs cut the skiing most at risk.

As you say : there is no reason not to focus on both skiing and biking. Unfortunately however HIE are involved. Plus all Scottish resorts have had two years of basically no income due to covid.
ski holidays
[list=][/list]
Quote:
Local rumours neither Warrens or Braveheart will be prepped to run this winter
Bad news that - especially Braveheart, although in my experience it hardly ever runs. Mrs MA and I have skied at Nevis loads over the years - with that chair running on only two days in all our trips there... rolling eyes

Would be interested to see how many days it has actually run in the last few years. Is the issue purely that it is a rickety third world-esque installation that is difficult to maintain? Or can they just not be @rs€d? Confused
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:

Would be interested to see how many days it has actually run in the last few years. Is the issue purely that it is a rickety third world-esque installation that is difficult to maintain? Or can they just not be @rs€d? Confused

The official line is that ski patrol won't open Braveheart chair unless a traverse for sledge / injured skiers to front of mountain is complete.

More likely explanation is that the chair is a bit rickety. Plus the terrain is tricky to secure for skiers unequipped with probe, beacon, shovel.

Braveheart chair arguably was built in wrong place as the best skiing is often upper part of various bowl(s) followed by a loop back round front of mountain. The chair adds a bonus lap of Coire Dubh lower but not essential for skiing the various back corrie's : it's a 15-20 min skin or traverse from pylon 4 of chair to get back round to main lifts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy