Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saulire Cable Car in Courchevel badly damaged during test 29 Sep 21

Poster: A snowHead
I highlighted this on the La Masse thread, given the severity of the words in the Dauphiné it seems worthy of a thread

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2021/09/29/courchevel-les-cabines-de-la-saulire-fortement-endommagees-lors-d-un-essai
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oops - looks like a failure of the emergency stop system if it ended up wedged at that angle into the gantry...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway, looks like that will take a bit of untangling (and thorough check of the cables etc). Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
during a test carried out at the technical limits of the device

Or perhaps, in this case, just past the technical limits of the device? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair Pink, Bit of le bodge tape over the holes and a quick rub down with an oily rag - it'll be fine.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd say that was a test worth doing!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wonder what the carnage at the bottom station looks like. It's about 12 years since I was there, but IIRC it goes into a building which could be more messy. Happy to be corrected though wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, same thing happened a few years ago, then the cabin got all smashed up and they put a tarp over it on the piste.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I saw this an hour after it was posted (and again now) and googled it to see if I could find it in English. Found zero. Seems odd.

Am I correct in observing that of all the lift mishaps, this type of lift seems to be involved very disproportionately? And further, that the mishaps often (thankfully) happen on such "tests"? Makes me wonder what happened between the last time the lift ran and this time. Possibly some folks at Courchevel wondering the same thing....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, Think the building at the bottom is to the side of the lift mechanism.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs wrote:
@chocksaway, Think the building at the bottom is to the side of the lift mechanism.

Yep.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This reports that the top cabin is repairable, the bottom one is not. The lift will probably not open before the end of Feb 22.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/savoie/courchevel-deux-telecabines-endommagees-lors-d-un-controle-annuel-2272702.amp

Longer queues at 1850 I assume.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway wrote:
Longer queues at 1850 I assume.

Yes, and especially for the Vizelle gondola. Suisses or Marmottes will be better peak season options for getting to the ridge.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have to say only generally use Sauliere for the fun of the ride once a week and generally use vizelle as it's quicker
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I prefer vizelle, I can imagine the queues at feb half term are going to be longer than the average uk petrol station queue
ski holidays
Barely ever use the cable car and TBH, since Covid I'd be even less inclined, though I did take the Tignes glacier cable car about 3 x one day in the summer.
snow conditions
Used to use it when my mates thought that it was a good craik to head for a Vin Chaud at the Cap Horn at 16.00, and catch the last cable at 16.30 to Saulire to get back to Meribel Very Happy
ski holidays
Was in it some time in the late 90s when it broke down. After around 20 minutes the operating bloke starting explaining to us how the winch would be used to lower us to the ground. Fortunately it started up again soon after.
snow report
https://www.radiocourchevel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/IJ-Stephane-pfend-octobre-2021.mp3?fbclid=IwAR16S27j7dWPTW4FFvZ-k63SKn2lI0JUjOQR11v1lgVH8m8rJBSOsIndH2Q

Radio interview (in French) with the director of the lift company explaining what happened
latest report
Going to be out of action all season Sad
ski holidays
that's a shame, but as others have said at least there are other options available, am sure they would be in emergency mode now to get it repaired if it was the only way to get to the top of saluire from courcheval side.

fortunately, there would be similar options if the cime de caron cable car in VT was damaged in any way.
I remember being on it several years ago when it was so windy at the top, the cable car could not "dock" properly, and the car was being blown around in the wind. I don't mind admitting that I was, along with my friend and fellow, a tad nervous (to put it lightly!!!), as it seemed to take forever to be able to dock, and people were holding on to rails for dear life!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy