Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking teenagers skiing this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone fancy signing this petition - to give under 16’s covid pass!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/596335
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ma94jcg wrote:
Haven't seen this mentioned in this thread. Was confirmed in the Commons that the government "are looking at" providing proof of vaccination for teenagers. https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2021-11-22/79365
I have written to my MP to ask for timing. If anyone has Maggie Throup as their MP, they could ask her directly

After watching Maggie Throup on question time last night, I'm not convinced she has the capacity to organise a lockdown breaking p!55 up in a Tory donor's brewery, let alone oversee the implementation of a roll out of data access to teenagers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can someone remind me. 16 year olds. What do you have to do to prove full vaccination? Planning to travel to France and then Germany. Will be get second dose 9th Dec, leaving 17th.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne, get them to download the NHS app (not the NHS covid one) on their phone. Before they can get the covid pass, they will need to submit photo ID (eg passport) and record a video of themselves (instructions are on the app). The covid pass should be available within about 24 hours.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers @Timmycb5!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just spoken to my local pharmacy in Argentiere (near Chamonix). They will be running scheduled sessions for testing, but haven't fixed timings yet - they advised me to call 2 days before to book appointments, and they will run tests in the evening after skiing, to cover the kids for the next day.

Yes, it's an extra cost, and an extra 10 mins hassle each day, but at least in our village, it feels entirely manageable.

They also said it would be fine for UK kids to get vaccinated in France at their sessions, but the vaccine site is fully booked for next few weeks. Kinda irrelevant now we're doing second doses in the UK, as it would lead to a reconciliation problem with the NHS vaccine records.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have also just messaged my MP requesting info regarding second Jabs for 12-15 year olds, and how we can show proof of vaccine, seems a massive missing hole in out system compared to what they are rolling out in the EU, must be one of those brexit perks Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowdave, Any idea how they will be making lift passes available to UK 1-215 year olds. Will they need validating on a daily basis at the kiosk on presentation of a test result? If so, that would be two queues each day rather than one. Or can you buy a pass for the week and they will then rely on checks each day at the lift stations.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chelsian, I cannot see how technically giving 12-15 year olds access would be a problem given it is already been done in Scotland. They either don't see it as a priority to tweak the App, or there is a legal issue-Scotland does have a separate legal system to England.
That said, if children are deemed old enough to give consent to a vaccine, surely they are old enough to be given proof of having had it?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowhound wrote:
@snowdave, Any idea how they will be making lift passes available to UK 1-215 year olds. Will they need validating on a daily basis at the kiosk on presentation of a test result? If so, that would be two queues each day rather than one. Or can you buy a pass for the week and they will then rely on checks each day at the lift stations.

Don't know on this I'm afraid - we have annual passes.

My guess is that it would make sense to check on ski pass purchase, and thereafter leave it to your honour... with the sanction of forfeiting your ski pass and getting fined if you bought a multi-day pass and don't refresh the testing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowhound Apparently due to being under 16 they cant give proxy access to parents, they dont offer a QR code printed either, as once again, they are under 16, hopefully my MP will shed some light on it, its Chris Grayling so not holding out much hope, but you never know.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowhound, from what I've heard of some resorts, they will be "doing spot checks" of a valid pass sanitaire. Sounds like no link to the lift pass at all, but the threat of a spot check deterring anyone from chancing it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowhound wrote:
@chelsian, I cannot see how technically giving 12-15 year olds access would be a problem given it is already been done in Scotland. They either don't see it as a priority to tweak the App, or there is a legal issue-Scotland does have a separate legal system to England.
That said, if children are deemed old enough to give consent to a vaccine, surely they are old enough to be given proof of having had it?

This!
The silence from those who could resolve this problem is 'deafening' Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5, this is the reply from Maggie Throup that my MP received last week when I asked her about the overseas travel situation for 12-15 year-olds and proving their vaccination status. As you can see, the letter was dated 23/11/21 and as the reply pre-dates my email, others must be asking the same question. However, the situation's moved on since then...

I've taken out the reference number and my MP's name, just in case I'm not supposed to forward it Embarassed I was quite surprised to get a reply in the first place!

Quote:

From Maggie Throup MP
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Vaccines and Public Health

39 Victoria Street
London
SW1H 0EU

Your Ref: XXXXX

23 November 2021

Dear <My> MP,

Thank you for your correspondence of 17 November, on behalf of your constituents, about
COVID-19 vaccination status certification for children.

I am grateful to you for raising your constituents’ concerns.

The NHS COVID Pass service is currently only available to individuals aged 16 and over.
Children aged 16 and 17 are deemed to have enough competence to access their own
medical records. Children under 18 are exempt from certification in England and proof of
vaccination is generally not an entry requirement for children for other countries, with
testing available as an alternative.

However, we recognise that there is a growing number of children aged 12 to 15 who are
now receiving a full course of vaccination, and a growing requirement from other countries
for children to demonstrate their vaccination status. We are therefore exploring ways to
allow fully vaccinated children aged 12 and over to demonstrate their vaccination status for
the purposes of international travel.

Most 12-15-year-olds are offered only one vaccine dose; however, the international
standards for travel require a full course of vaccination for an individual to be recognised
as ‘fully vaccinated’.

A very small number of countries will accept proof of recovery from COVID-19 to allow
under-16s to be treated as fully vaccinated. In preparation for more countries
accepting proof of recovery, we are looking at this as an element of certification, including
for children who may have only had one vaccine dose.

Before travelling abroad, individuals should check the entry requirements for
their destination, as requirements for testing and vaccination can vary from country to
country. Further details on entry requirements can be found at www.gov.uk by searching
for ‘coronavirus travel advice’.

I hope this reply is helpful.

Kind regards,

MAGGIE THROUP

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was feeling optimistic for Easter as son#1 would have had scope for 2 jabs by then (he turns 12 just before Christmas) and there's an off chance the powers that be might have sorted the NHS app by then until I read the 12 weeks after infection before first jab - where's open in May rolling eyes
latest report
Good summary here. Inc. Information on daily antigen tests and some specifics for those going to Morzine / Avoriaz.

https://www.morzinesourcemagazine.com/covid-19-and-travel-to-morzine-les-gets-or-avoriaz-this-winter/
ski holidays
@7ncj, thanks!
ski holidays
always29 wrote:
Was feeling optimistic for Easter as son#1 would have had scope for 2 jabs by then (he turns 12 just before Christmas) and there's an off chance the powers that be might have sorted the NHS app by then until I read the 12 weeks after infection before first jab - where's open in May rolling eyes

Would surprise me if this policy, too, does not change in the short term given the advent of Omicrom.
ski holidays
@jd_evans, I received exactly the same from my MP.

At least they are aware of the issue.
snow report
@7ncj, Morzine Source have been exemplary in keeping people up to date. There well worth a follow on FB
snow conditions
I was well up for going until are told we can’t.

However I’ve just worked out the cost of testing today.

5x LFT pre travel (2 within 24hrs on Christmas Day!)
5 x PCR on return
2 x daily LFT in France.

I reckon that’s at least £500!
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
@7ncj, Morzine Source have been exemplary in keeping people up to date. There well worth a follow on FB

They're doing an amazing job aren't they? Yep, I follow them on Instagram.
snow conditions
Anyone booked tests in Val Thorens for their teenager? hopefully still going 21/12/21 but not clear on the locations - on links under https://www.valthorens.com/en/staying-with-us--useful-informations-1/covid-19-valthorens the location on map is not in Val Thorens?
Thanks Jennifer
latest report
haveagoskiers wrote:
Anyone booked tests in Val Thorens for their teenager? hopefully still going 21/12/21 but not clear on the locations - on links under https://www.valthorens.com/en/staying-with-us--useful-informations-1/covid-19-valthorens the location on map is not in Val Thorens?
Thanks Jennifer

44euros for a lft ! thats 264 euros per person per week !
snow report
backhojo wrote:
haveagoskiers wrote:
Thanks Jennifer

44euros for a lft ! thats 264 euros per person per week !

€75 Inc the mgmt fee!!
snow conditions
Woooahhh that will be us out
900 euros plus £360 for UK tests ! Wow!
ski holidays
Earlier this week it had the antigen tests listed at 25euros listed but details to follow these have now been changed to the same price as the PCRs. Luckily my other son (17yr) is getting his second vaccine on Sunday so it may only be one to pay for daily tests. Crazy money but hopefully still doable. Although my son did end up in A&E last night with an ankle ligament tear so holiday maybe off anyway.

So much changing on a daily basis...

If anyone has organised tests at VT let me know. Thanks Jennifer
snow conditions
As well as the cost I think the poster above is being wildly optimistic about “10” min a day. It’ll be a scrum as being in the locality of the chemist or testing station to fit in with an all mountain day of skiing will come down to first thing am between Accomodation and lift, lunchtime or straight off lifts. Chances of hordes of people coming to get done will I suspect make it like the “appointment” system we get for our kids school’s parents evenings (pre covid). Chaos.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MHskier wrote:
As well as the cost I think the poster above is being wildly optimistic about “10” min a day. It’ll be a scrum as being in the locality of the chemist or testing station to fit in with an all mountain day of skiing will come down to first thing am between Accomodation and lift, lunchtime or straight off lifts. Chances of hordes of people coming to get done will I suspect make it like the “appointment” system we get for our kids school’s parents evenings (pre covid). Chaos.

Agree. I don’t see it being workable at all. Peak season weeks, when all these children will be there. If they do enforce it, queues at both pharmacy’s and lifts will be horrific. At the moment heavily leaning towards changing our destination to Austria, but so much can and is likely to change in the coming weeks.
snow report
MHskier wrote:

The angst is strong on snowheads, but 12-15 yr old British kids are a tiny minority of skiers where we are, and since it’s a real village, with a year round pharmacy and two clinics all offering testing, from 8am to 730pm, every day, I’m confident we’ll be ok. This is a nice little profit centre for the pharmacy and clinics, so they’ll been keen to maximise throughput.

I’ll be out there in a few days and we’ll know for sure either way, I’m certainly not going to cancel my trip over something as minor as this. You could spend longer in a traffic jam on the way down.
latest report
haveagoskiers wrote:
Earlier this week it had the antigen tests listed at 25euros listed but details to follow these have now been changed to the same price as the PCRs. Luckily my other son (17yr) is getting his second vaccine on Sunday so it may only be one to pay for daily tests. Crazy money but hopefully still doable. Although my son did end up in A&E last night with an ankle ligament tear so holiday maybe off anyway.

So much changing on a daily basis...

If anyone has organised tests at VT let me know. Thanks Jennifer

I called the two test centres in VT on Friday. Told me they are still in a planning phase and will only accept bookings a week in advance.
snow report
I'm livid at the number of tests we as a family of five, including a 15yo so daily testing, now need to take. I will be writing to the VT tourist office and anyone else I can find, demanding a free lift pass for my 15yo to compensate. When I think about the cost and hassle it might actually make the difference between going and cancelling.
ski holidays
Thanks Trevskii for passing on info regarding phonecall.
snow report
Trevskii wrote:
I'm livid at the number of tests we as a family of five, including a 15yo so daily testing, now need to take. I will be writing to the VT tourist office and anyone else I can find, demanding a free lift pass for my 15yo to compensate. When I think about the cost and hassle it might actually make the difference between going and cancelling.

We need 33 tests! If I can get eldest vaccination this week then 27 tests, crazy
snow conditions
Even 'crazy' is an understatement. The only winners are the private test providers.
ski holidays
Quote:

The only winners are the private test providers.

They must all be Tory donors, even the ones in France.
snow report
@chelsian, I hope you get a response from your MP. My wife emailed our conservative MP 2 weeks ago and despite two chasing emails she is still waiting for a response. Rapidly loosing faith. Come voting time, there's going to be some shocks for these inefficient public servants. As my dear Grandpa used to tell me, you need to pull your socks up, in a brusque Yorkshire accent.
latest report
Ha anyone got confirmed costs of the daily tests are teens will need?

I’ve emailed Les deux Alpes tourist board and they’ve sent me the health Centre details but no costs and can’t book on docotlib.
Trying to work out costs and feasibility.
Thank you for any help
latest report
Rednat5 wrote:

I’ve emailed Les deux Alpes tourist board and they’ve sent me the health Centre details but no costs and can’t book on docotlib.
Thank you for any help

I've seen both €25 and €35 euros mentioned as the 'agreed pharmacy charge.'. However the '3 Valley premium' is already kicking in with the Val Thorens pharmacy charging €75. Captive market though... pos still cheaper than travelling out of resort every day?
ski holidays
7ncj wrote:
Rednat5 wrote:

Thank you for any help

I've seen both €25 and €35 euros mentioned as the 'agreed pharmacy charge.'. However the '3 Valley premium' is already kicking in with the Val Thorens pharmacy charging €75. Captive market though... pos still cheaper than travelling out of resort every day?

That’s exactly what I’ve seen. €25 is the recommended but are they actually charging that? When you need 18 of them that’s a big difference in price to €75.
Hopefully the tourist office will get back to me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy