Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking teenagers skiing this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
@Handy Turnip, i know for Austria it’s if it’s within the last 180 prior to your holiday so it will depend on when she tested positive. Plus a single jab
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Handy Turnip, In Austria recovery followed by a single vaccination is Ok up to 270 days following the vaccination. You will need some sort of certification to prove recovery.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@handyturnip as I understand it (haven't been yet!) you need a pass sanitaire to sit outside too. I have no idea how often it's checked. I spoke to a friend in Paris who said they seem much more focussed on adults in his local places than teens. But that's just his experience and not in the alps!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Luckily the nhs app now has both positive pcr and jab details. Qr codes for both outcomes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Purely looking at France, my understanding is that if they introduce the PS for lifts as well as restaurants it just means that UK teenagers will need to be tested every 72 hours to use the lifts. Under 12s and double jabbed adult’s it’s no change (apart from showing PS for lift pass at some point. I may be being overly optimistic but it just means a few extra tests for our 13 year old.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RobH2017, that's my understanding too (going out Dec 18th)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bambionskiis wrote:
Luckily the nhs app now has both positive pcr and jab details. Qr codes for both outcomes.

But not for u16s I understand who can't get the nhs covid pass ? Though I'll be delighted if you tell me differently. My under 16 but over 12y.o., has had covid (in Sep) so if we can prove status that is sufficient to get the PS QR code we'd be a goer for a NY trip.

He's not unfrotunately had his single jab yet though. He was +ve with covid at the time they came to school. It was re-schedule for this week but school have just cancelled, now postponed to early Dec Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne thank you. We arrive in Tignes on 25/12 so if open we’re getting Jr tested on 26/12 am. I’ll check that they are open before buying lift passes for the Sunday but whilst it’s an embuggerance it won’t stop our hols.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gazzza, go to a vaccine centre then.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobH2017 wrote:
Purely looking at France, my understanding is that if they introduce the PS for lifts as well as restaurants it just means that UK teenagers will need to be tested every 72 hours to use the lifts. Under 12s and double jabbed adult’s it’s no change (apart from showing PS for lift pass at some point. I may be being overly optimistic but it just means a few extra tests for our 13 year old.

Yes in principle. But..

1. Your teen is also considered unvaccinated for entry so you need a -ve test to get into France, and from they UK they ludicrously require this to be done (whether PCR or antigen) less than 24 hours before departure. For me, I was planning on travelling early boxing day, so this is a non starter as it would mean finding and getting a covid test on Christmas day.

2. You'd have to find a pharmacie to get tested at in resort every 72 hours. They are small, what capacity do they have for a potential influx of teens in peek weeks. You have to ring them to make an appointment, there's no centralised or online booking. The Les menuire tourist site, for example, suggests the choice of the pharmacie in St Martin (suspect down in the village rather than at the lift) or the Menuires Medical Centre - the Menuires Medical Centre website has nothing on it about covid testing, and it is not offered as an option if you try and reserve an appointment. So it's not clear how easy or available in resort testing every 72 hours will be.

3. There is the risk of a false positive when getting tested locally which would royally screw up your ski trip, even if your teen, like myn, may have already had covid and really should be treated like anyone else who has recovered or is vaccinated. Lets be honest the vax doesn't stop you getting it, my wife and I and half our village with kids have all caught it despite being double vaxxed (only 4 months prior in my case).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're also in France just after Christmas - Morzine. Of course we'll be booking a test straight away but it would be so nice not to have to bother, let alone everyone holding their breath for one of the four of us having to take a pre-departure test.

I'm still praying Javid will just say yes to allowing the second jab in the next few weeks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cross posted with you Gazzza, and completely agree.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris_n wrote:
@Gazzza, go to a vaccine centre then.

Next on my list of things to do, but surprisingly alot of the walk in centres don't do 12-15 year olds, certainly non of the smaller ones that are convenient to get to and park.
When I looked last night, the only ones I could find from Guildford that did lower teens are in the centres of Kingston-Upon-Thames, Sutton or Windsor and only 3.30-7.30 so will involve a schlep in heavy rush hour traffic.

In any case, it still doesn't help with getting a PS due to the issues of the single jab and the NHS covid pass issue of not being available to under 16s.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rich D wrote:
has anyone seen the set up for getting tests in the mountains for UK teenagers? I can't see much on line from searching. We're keeping an eye on the daily total per 100k in france, it's started rising now, and we're seriously considering cancelling / although we'll loose deposit if it looks too high by December 4th when we've got to pay for our apartment. Gutted that because our kids only get one jab and the nhs app isn't usable for under 16s that they'll miss out on another year of life experiences.

I'm guessing you are going skiing at half term. If this is the case a lot can change between now and then. Possibly teens will have been offered second jabs and possibly the App will have been updated to show the vaccines of younger teens. France may also have a low covid rate (it could have gone up and down before the time you travel) meaning the ps would not be needed for lifts. If none of these things happened you would still be able to get your teens tested in a pharmacy in resort every 72 hours.

We went to mainland Europe this summer (not France) and literally didn't know until a few days before the holiday that we'd be going due to the country in question saying non vaccinated teens couldn't travel one week (then changing the advice a week later) and then the issue of the Indian AZ vaccine which was not at that time recognised in all EU countries. We held our nerve and didn't cancel and in the end were able to travel and had the most fantastic holiday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gazzza wrote:
RobH2017 wrote:

Yes in principle. But..

1. Your teen is also considered unvaccinated for entry so you need a -ve test to get into France, and from they UK they ludicrously require this to be done (whether PCR or antigen) less than 24 hours before departure. For me, I was planning on travelling early boxing day, so this is a non starter as it would mean finding and getting a covid test on Christmas day.

This one at least is easily soluble - https://excaliburhealth.co.uk/ does app-based LFT certification, i.e. you take the LFT, hold your phone above it, and it automatically produces the certificate. Takes 15 mins. I've used it and it worked.
snow report
@Gazzza, you mentioned false positives before - false positives are very rare so I really wouldn't worry about that. Still testing positive on a PCR after an infection happens for a while to some unlucky people but it really is extremely unlikely on an antigen test. Catching covid and testing positive again, well that's a different matter and of course will be a risk.

Also despite the information that is available online there are a lot of drop in, no appointment needed antigen tests available in French pharmacies. I saw a reasonable number of people queuing at the St Martin pharmacie over the summer for testing. The pharmacie we eventually used elsewhere in France for our return tests was not clearly listed online but it was in the centre of town and testing large numbers on a drop in basis; lots of returning Brits were there on a Saturday morning to return to the UK (as it was then required). Drop in Covid testing was clearly signposted in a lot of towns we visited. So I can't believe provision will be totally absent although I agree it's not ideal that right now there is little ability to plan efficiently in advance. That could change as case numbers increase.

Also teenagers can easily go to any drop in centre if they missed their school vaccination appointment, which mine did this weekend so she didn't have to wait for the catch up.
snow conditions
Thanks for that
@Skimum1 - very helpful.

I was also wondering if a test at GVA would produce the right code for the pass sanitaire for the first few days. Not sure it brings much of an advantage unless there are big queues in resort.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
This one at least is easily soluble - https://excaliburhealth.co.uk/ does app-based LFT certification, i.e. you take the LFT, hold your phone above it, and it automatically produces the certificate. Takes 15 mins. I've used it and it worked.

I used a similar one by Prenetics for return from Jamaica in summer and was thinking I could do the same again. Problem is the FCDO page for France entry and the French consulate page https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-between-France-and-the-UK-28918 both say Self Administered Tests are not acceptable.

EDIT - sorry @snowdave when you say it worked, do you mean it got you into France ?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 9-11-21 15:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Skimum1 wrote:
Also despite the information that is available online there are a lot of drop in, no appointment needed antigen tests available in French pharmacies. I saw a reasonable number of people queuing at the St Martin pharmacie over the summer for testing. The pharmacie we eventually used elsewhere in France for our return tests was not clearly listed online but it was in the centre of town and testing large numbers on a drop in basis; lots of returning Brits were there on a Saturday morning to return to the UK (as it was then required). Drop in Covid testing was clearly signposted in a lot of towns we visited. So I can't believe provision will be totally absent although I agree it's not ideal that right now there is little ability to plan efficiently in advance. That could change as case numbers increase.

Also teenagers can easily go to any drop in centre if they missed their school vaccination appointment, which mine did this weekend so she didn't have to wait for the catch up.

Thanks - that is really useful information, it's nice to hear from some actual practical experience of finding tests in pharmacies.

Also thanks for the tip of Beare Green - I'll look it up, a much more palatable drive across the countryside rather than contemplating rush hour Kingston traffic !
snow report
The 24 hour thing has always been there so I’ve booked a drive through at the local airport on Christmas Eve to take care of that. Results back in an hour.
snow report
@Gazzza, It was me who mentioned Beare green and then deleted my message as I was going to amend it to say have a look at Sandown Park too. I think Beare Green are by appointment only at the end of the day on Friday and Saturday evenings for teens.
latest report
Oops, sorry, thank you too. Will give them a ring and see. Many thanks Happy
snow report
@Chris_n, Both my kids (the under 11 yo and the > 12 teen) had a positive PCR test result in Sep. Does that mean Austria is potentially a go-er for us for 6 months from then, both in terms of entry requirements and access to restaurants ? (probably a bit late in the day for cheapish flights to Austria over NY but nontheless snowHead )
latest report
@Gazzza, sorry yes you’re correct. It looks like 16+ only. Nightmare.

I spoke to an Austrian lady earlier who said you can ask your gp for a letter on gp letterhead (they charge about £12) confirming vaccine status. It may be an idea then to contact tourist information in resort with the letter and ask if it’s acceptable.
ski holidays
[quote="snowdave"]
Gazzza wrote:
RobH2017 wrote:

dont understand you on this one. self administered test are not acceptable. Excaliber say they take 72hrs to turnaround and that "fit to fly" tests are not suitable for shorter windows than 72 hrs. France is 24 hrs
latest report
Gazzza wrote:
snowdave wrote:

I used a similar one by Prenetics for return from Jamaica in summer and was thinking I could do the same again. Problem is the FCDO page for France entry and the French consulate page https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-between-France-and-the-UK-28918 both say Self Administered Tests are not acceptable.

EDIT - sorry @snowdave when you say it worked, do you mean it got you into France ?

It was Portugal we used it for. However, for France this summer we used the Qured self-administered tests with no issues.

I can't see how they'd tell whether it was self-administered or not. Just get someone else to do it for you, then it's not self-administered... Happy

I think they are really trying to say that it has to be a certificated travel test, not an NHS one, but that's purely my speculation.
snow report
I've done the Qured ones (which are great), and while they are self-administered, they are also video-monitored which is why they are accepted - are the excalibur health ones similar?
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, nope, there's no monitoring, it's purely self administered with no oversight.

However, if "self administered" is the threshold, that should also block Qured; the one place the phrase appears there's no qualification or explanation of it (e.g. must be overseen by a healthcare professional). I just think it's poor wording and really means "you can't wave an NHS LFT at us, we need to see a certificate", but clearly that's the view of a random person on the internet interpreting "self administered" in a way that suits them Happy

I saw various reports on here from other people using a service where you just email in a photo of the LFT cassette next to your passport, and that worked for France - definitely no oversight on that one.

Everyone's threshold of what they're prepared to try will vary. I'll happily continue with Excalibur.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gazzza wrote:
@Chris_n, Both my kids (the under 11 yo and the > 12 teen) had a positive PCR test result in Sep. Does that mean Austria is potentially a go-er for us for 6 months from then, both in terms of entry requirements and access to restaurants ? (probably a bit late in the day for cheapish flights to Austria over NY but nontheless snowHead )

Yes Austria is a go-er the under 11 is no problem anyway. The >12 is good for 180 days following infection or for 270 days following a subsequent vaccination more than 21 days after infection, assuming of course you can get some sort of certification to prove both. You do not need QR codes, English language is sufficient as it stands at the moment.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
@Handy Turnip, nope, there's no monitoring, it's purely self administered with no oversight.

However, if "self administered" is the threshold, that should also block Qured; the one place the phrase appears there's no qualification or explanation of it (e.g. must be overseen by a healthcare professional). I just think it's poor wording and really means "you can't wave an NHS LFT at us, we need to see a certificate", but clearly that's the view of a random person on the internet interpreting "self administered" in a way that suits them Happy

I saw various reports on here from other people using a service where you just email in a photo of the LFT cassette next to your passport, and that worked for France - definitely no oversight on that one.

Everyone's threshold of what they're prepared to try will vary. I'll happily continue with Excalibur.

thanks. I shall investigate further...its all so unnecessary as my lad is doing regular LFT for school and is an expert at doing them now !
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:

Yep, that's a fair call - it's less about what the test is, just down to whether it's accepted - as long as that last point is met then all good. I had the same experience at Qured - the service was quick and efficient, but at no point did I really think the overseeing element was any more than a box ticking exercise.
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
Gazzza wrote:

Yes Austria is a go-er the under 11 is no problem anyway. The >12 is good for 180 days following infection or for 270 days following a subsequent vaccination more than 21 days after infection, assuming of course you can get some sort of certification to prove both. You do not need QR codes, English language is sufficient as it stands at the moment.

Our 13 year old son has now had both jabs but no NHS app!! So are you saying a letter from the gp confirming that would do? If not does he have to take a test? Thanks
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
I've done the Qured ones (which are great), and while they are self-administered, they are also video-monitored which is why they are accepted - are the excalibur health ones similar?

the video element seems , to me, to be more instructional than supervisory. I am not sure it makes any difference to the final outcome other than maybe helping to ensure the test is likely to be valid. its not clear if the final result / certificate is any different should you opt for the extra £10 option or not.
snow report
@djfletcher, I couldnt say for certain if a letter from a doctor would be OK, I would expect so if it was on NHS headed paper and contained all of the relevant information eg date of vaccine, type of vaccine, batch number etc. If you could get a print out of the entries in his NHS record to go with the letter it would be better.

Edit I have updated this with info from Austrian Embassy website:-

If you go to https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/ and scroll down to:-
Evidence of low epidemiological risk can be provided as follows:

1) medical certificates according to Annex A or B, which confirm that the person named in the certificate
a) tested negative for SARS-CoV-2,
b) has been vaccinated against COVID-19  
c) has recovered from COVID-19  

Click on the link for Annex B and it will take you to an English language certificate that you can get your doctor to fill in alongside the letter and any print outs you can get. Text (but not formatting) of the Certificate below.

Anlage B
Medical Certificate
This is to certify that
name ................................................................................................................................................................
born ................................................................... in..........................................................................................
has been tested negative for the presence of SARS-CoV-2 on the ............................................... (date
of sampling) at ...................................................... (time of sampling):
molecularbiologically
with an antigen test; or
has recovered from a recent infection with SARS-CoV-2 since
…...................................... or
has been vaccinated with the vaccine ………………………………………………… on the following
dates:
First vaccination on: ………………………………………………………
Second vaccination on: ……………………………………………………
Third vaccination on: ……………………………………………………...
.............................., on ..............................
place, date, signature and seal of the certifying medical doctor
BGBl. II - Ausgegeben am 10. September 2021 - Nr. 393 1 von 1
www.ris.bka.gv.at

If I were you I would ask the Austrian Embassy in London, bearing in mind that while a test is sufficient to get into the country at the moment it is not sufficient to use a ski lift, restaurant or hotel so make sure the question is specific.
Please update the thread with definitive information if you do this.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 9-11-21 18:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Maybe someone with a teenager who has had Covid then been vaccinated could get a doctor to fill in the section about infection and the section for vaccination to fulfil requirements. The identical form is also in German on appendix A so that could also be filled in.
ski holidays
Following this thread with interest - I have a double vaccinated 14 year old and a soon to be 12 year old, who will be less than the mandatory 12 years +2 months when we travel to France (Champagny en Vanoise, La Plagne) at Christmas.

So we fall into the "double jabbed but can't prove it as she's <16" camp - I have emailed my MP who promised to write to the Minister - no news so far.

I also tweeted NHS England, Chris Whitty, Sajid Javid, Simon Calder at The Independent (and emailed). This evening I received an approach via Twitter from a journalist at The i paper (baby Independent?) who is researching a story about lack of vaccination proof for teens and the impact on travel. She would like to interview me tomorrow, I haven't replied yet as I wanted to get some more information from NHS and my GP surgery first, so I can get some more info on who is telling me what in this whole sorry mess.

On calling 119 this evening to get my information straight, they tell me that I should contact my GP and link my NHS App to my daughter's records and lo and behold I should be able to see her vaccination status (and a QR code) on my App. Has anyone tried this? As my GP surgery don't even allow me to look at MY own medical records/vaccinations/test results on the App (I know some surgeries do) I am not hopeful that they will let me see hers. 119 told me if this doesn't work to report to the Vaccination Data Resolution Team (option 4 when you dial 119). I will go to the surgery for a chat tomorrow and see how far I get.

RE testing - the village where we have our apartment - Champagny en Vanoise - whilst being absolutely fantastic in all other ways, doesn't have a pharmacy at all and we'd have to drive to the nearest town (Bozel) for a test, by appointment only Mon-Friday 9 till 5pm...in the absence of proof we will only use this option if they require PS for the lifts and not use bars and restaurants during our stay.
On this point - has anyone with better French than me emailed the local Mairie in the resorts you are going to? I wondered if they were aware of this hassle that is dissuading many from travelling? Or are relations between UK and France politicians a bit tetchy and maybe they don't care....
ski holidays
@Joyceycat, nice to see some progress, keep the updates coming.
latest report
@Joyceycat, that sounds promising for the app! Can I ask (if not too rude) how you got the second jab for them? I guess it’s due to a vulnerability so sorry to pry.. but I’m asking in case there’s another way!
ski holidays
@Soozm - yes no problem to ask, she gets 2 jabs as a household contact of mine as I am immunocompromised. A kind of bonus for us in this case but such a pain for all the other kids with one jab, I'm sorry...
snow report
@Joyceycat, oh don’t be sorry! Sounds like a small bonus - and I’m glad you have that to help keep you safe. I hope you can get the app to work and have a great trip!

Will be hoping - for the sake of all their safety and of course my skiing holiday Eh oh! that they bring in the option of second jabs - but I won’t hold my breath!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy