Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking teenagers skiing this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
I have tweeted Simon Calder to ask if the UK.Gov website is correct in describing 'fully vaccinated' as including one jab plus a recovery to enter France. Will let you know if he responds.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@paula but that last sentence we know is wrong as the new vaccine pass is being adopted which should not now require vaccines for 12 to 17 year olds. It has been changed. So, if that is wrong, I wouldn’t rely on the rest.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@paula, I hope he is incorrect and the UK Government’s official guidance is correct. Hopefully all will be clarified very soon, information is conflicting at the moment.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@susieq78, you are correct. I failed to see the uk bit! Maybe it will change, I have been told the PS rules are under review or it will be testing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For a lot of people it's not the French that are the problem its the NHS, if they would get the act together and give digital QR codes for 12-15 year olds to show they are 1 vac + recovered a lot would be fine. For those cutting it close with dates to get double jabbed before half term just providing the QR code digitally would help, making them wait for a physical letter is archaic.

But hey kids can't vote so who cares right Boris...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've seen a few posts relating to proof of first vaccination AND proof of recovery being acceptable for travel into France for 12+years. My 12 year old ticks both boxes, however I've drawn a blank in terms of gaining a proof of recovery letter (NHS Scotland). Is there any way to gain this?

I've also read that some are navigating around this by having their children added to their NHS records, as such their proof of vaccination and recovery show up on the parents Covid pass - not sure if this is real or not but sounds even more complicated.... And of course, doing this is Scotland will be different to the rest of the UK.

Based on the above is France still essentially off limits for 12+ (single jabbed and covid recovery within the last 90 days)?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ac505 wrote:
I've seen a few posts relating to proof of first vaccination AND proof of recovery being acceptable for travel into France for 12+years. My 12 year old ticks both boxes, however I've drawn a blank in terms of gaining a proof of recovery letter (NHS Scotland). Is there any way to gain this?

I've also read that some are navigating around this by having their children added to their NHS records, as such their proof of vaccination and recovery show up on the parents Covid pass - not sure if this is real or not but sounds even more complicated.... And of course, doing this is Scotland will be different to the rest of the UK.

Based on the above is France still essentially off limits for 12+ (single jabbed and covid recovery within the last 90 days)?

there is no practical way to get proof of recovery as gp's/nhs (certainly in England anyway) do not provide it for under 16's - you can try and get proxy access to your child's medical records which gives you access to their details through your NHS app, however this still does not give you the QR code that is required in France all it does is allow you to see/show what they have had in regards to vaccines etc etc
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Based on the fact that there's complete ambiguity about single jabbed 12+ kids being able to cross the border, then having to get them tested every 24 hours (and being on the knife edge about an asymptomatic positive result), or them catching Covid and me not being able to convince a pharmacie to grant me a passe sanitaire I've just cancelled the French appartment in Tignes I'd booked for Feb HT. We drive and so DIY the hol - hadn't really booked much in anticipation of a nightmare.

So relieved and feel much more in the driving seat. Can't be bothered with other countries who could change rules at the drop of a hat. When France dicked us pre-Christmas I also booked an appt in Tignes for the first week of the school Easter hols. Both kids will be double jabbed by then. If they happen to catch Covid in between I'm not going to report it, keep them isolated and get their 2nd jab in before going away (if not already done). So many kids would have had a jab and Covid at the same time without realising it already so I can't see the problem.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am confused as have now seen this article on the local today.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20220114/reader-question-can-unvaccinated-children-travel-to-france/

The relevant bit

Over 12s

Children aged 12 and over are required to present a negative Covid test at the border (taken within 24 or 48 hours depending on where you are travelling from).

They are also required to complete paperwork including declarations of health and must be fully vaccinated.

The definition of ‘fully vaccinated’ is the same as for adults – seven days after receiving two doses of AstraZeneca, Pfizer or Moderna or 28 days after a single dose of Janssen. A single dose of AstraZeneca, Pfizer or Moderna is not sufficient and these people will be counted as unvaccinated.

However, there is an exception for unvaccinated children over 12 who are travelling with fully vaccinated parents/guardians. In this case, says the French Interior Ministry: “The measures applied to vaccinated adults are extended under the same conditions to accompanying minors, whether they are vaccinated or not.”

So in other words, if the parents are fully vaccinated, the children can travel with them under the same rules and do not need to provide proof that their trip is essential.

They will, however, still need a negative Covid test and a health declaration.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am certain that @l0ve2ski is right. If you download the paperwork from the French gov website for a vaccinated adult then it says the same thing about minors. Only on the French version though. The English version is still the one from 6 January.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fingers crossed this is right!! I hope so!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Warnergb7 wrote:
I am certain that @l0ve2ski is right. If you download the paperwork from the French gov website for a vaccinated adult then it says the same thing about minors. Only on the French version though. The English version is still the one from 6 January.

This would be consistent with the position back in summer 2021. Then the (English) sworn undertaking that France required said "The measures applied to vaccinated adults are extended under the same conditions to their accompanying minors, whether vaccinated or not." I took my (then fully unvaccinated) 12y old to France, relying on that wording applying to him as a "minor" - he would otherwise have needed a "compelling reason" to travel, which he didn't have. Nobody batted an eyelid on entry to France by Eurostar. So I'm hoping the same applies now! Look forward to reports from the first intrepid travellers to try it this time around.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi

Really is clear as mud isn’t it?! Appreciate for the pass sanitaire, 12 year old with one jab will have to test daily but regarding actual entry to the country, will he need to quarantine if travelling with vaccinated parents? If not, can anyone point me to any official guidance to refer to?

Thank you Eh oh!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The advice on this website has been spot on through out.

'Children aged 18 and under are not required to provide proof of vaccination upon arrival in France providing they are travelling with fully vaccinated adults. They also do not need to provide a negative covid test on arrival.'

https://www.morzinesourcemagazine.com/travel-to-france-from-the-uk/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you very much - just found this same really helpful article myself. Provides clear guidance which is hard to come by!

Just trying to figure out if possible to convert a single jab and a previous Covid positive result into a passe sanitaire for him now to not go through the daily testing
snow report
Angela123 wrote:
Thank you very much - just found this same really helpful article myself. Provides clear guidance which is hard to come by!

Just trying to figure out if possible to convert a single jab and a previous Covid positive result into a passe sanitaire for him now to not go through the daily testing

We're in exactly the same position!

Plan A is to persuade the vaccine centre to give him his second early. Official guidance for vaccinators is that an 8 week gap is suitable for u18s in the event of high infection rates or a new variant?!
ski holidays
All very confusing isn’t it? Can’t afford to get excited yet that we can actually go until we know for sure.

Hope your Plan A works
latest report
I tried a walk in centre for my youngest to get 2nd vacc at 9weeks with no luck. 14 yr old. Apart from some clinically at risk groups it’s 12 weeks. That takes us to thurs 27th.

I may try the walk in centre at the beginning of that week again.
snow conditions
MHskier wrote:
I tried a walk in centre for my youngest to get 2nd vacc at 9weeks with no luck. 14 yr old. Apart from some clinically at risk groups it’s 12 weeks. That takes us to thurs 27th.

Any flexibility on gaps does seem to be down to whoever is on duty on the day. At our nearest big centre some friends child was given, after quite a bit of discussion, their first jab 10 weeks after testing positive. For travel not clinical reasons. The next day some of their friends tried, pretty much exactly the same position, but we're given a categoric no unless they came back with medical evidence.

I'm not that hopeful, but we need to go anyway tomorrow so might as well take my son and ask.
snow report
We are in a similar situation - eldest has 1 jab but can't get a second due to having covid recently. We were hoping to ski early March in Val Thorens and have to pay for our accommodation soon. We won't go if eldest has to test every day.
Second covid jab for eldest will be possible 12 days before we travel, however as NHS scotland don't give under 16s an 'app', we will have to wait for the 2nd Jab to appear on their system, then order a paper certificate of vaccination. Alternatively, we can definitely prove 1 vaccination and our doctor will give a letter to say eldest has had covid, however there is no qr code, and we don't know the pharmacy in VT will give a pass sanitaire to Brits...
Lots of uncertainties. Is Italy or Switzerland likely to be any easier?
ski holidays
We're not going to go to France either if we can't get sorted an would need to get daily tests. Our alternative plan is to go to Austria where you can currently either get a Ninja pass (some tests, but not every day) or apparently/ hopefully they'll accept one vaccine and the NHS email confirming a positive pcr as proof of prior infection....in lieu of full vaccination.
latest report
Same boat for Italy I think. QR code needed to prove second jab via nhs letter for teen who can’t get app u16 s in England. No qr code issued for recovery after 1 vacc so you’re not going to get a super green pass or whatever it’s called.
snow report
@tele, based on current rules Switzerland is best bet.
snow report
My 12 year old gets 2nd vaccine shot on Tuesday.

I can't sift out the noise. How (when) do I then get a digital certificate that I can use to get her registered on the pass vacinal?

If I can do that we are golden it seems as the other is 10.
latest report
paddyDT wrote:

I can't sift out the noise. How (when) do I then get a digital certificate that I can use to get her registered on the pass vacinal?

You can’t. However you can request a paper one via 119. This will have a 31 day expiry I believe. My 12 yr old gets her second one on Sunday. We go (hopefully) on 19th and return in on 26th. So plan on requesting ours at end of Jan
ski holidays
paddyDT wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-covid-pass-for-12-15-year-olds-for-international-travel
latest report
7ncj wrote:
MHskier wrote:

Any flexibility on gaps does seem to be down to whoever is on duty on the day. At our nearest big centre some friends child was given, after quite a bit of discussion, their first jab 10 weeks after testing positive. For travel not clinical reasons. The next day some of their friends tried, pretty much exactly the same position, but we're given a categoric no unless they came back with medical evidence.

I'm not that hopeful, but we need to go anyway tomorrow so might as well take my son and ask.

It helps if there is someone is clinically vulnerable in the family Eh oh!
snow report
MHskier wrote:

Why did you even try. Its clearly 12 weeks. Why are you complaining and wasting their valuable time and your time?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@7ncj, thanks
snow conditions
So, I’ve been able to download a covid pass (nhs Scotland) for my 12 year which shows qr codes for international travel covering a) recovery and b) first jab.
Now desperately trying to clarify if recovery and jab constitute fully vaccinated status, it’s looking like that’s not the case, it however was in the past, need to do some more reading to verify one way or other.
ski holidays
7ncj wrote:
MHskier wrote:

Best you will get is a couple of days before the 12 weeks as there are legal protocols that are required by the clinicians..Anthony before that and you will be turned away
snow report
“Why did you even try. Its clearly 12 weeks. Why are you complaining and wasting their valuable time and your time?”

Ooo get you.

Beyond my time I didn’t waste any one’s time other than a gopher on the front gate who had no one else to deal with at 6pm. Certainly didn’t get as far as any clinicians.

I tried because they are already giving jabs to 12-16 yr olds where there’s clinical need or learning difficulties so clinically it’s proven not to be that risky and they’re happily encouraging for 18 yr olds to have a third dose which I happen to think is incredibly unfair when 14/15 yr olds haven’t completed the licensed course of vaccination.

Also having as a family been v adherent to all rules and regulations and not really been away from our own home for two years I’m trying to maximise the chance of this trip having to give a bit of joy to a teenage boy who has had a tough time.
ski holidays
MHskier wrote:
“Why did you even try. Its clearly 12 weeks. Why are you complaining and wasting their valuable time and your time?”

Ooo get you. @ster

Beyond my time I didn’t waste any one’s time other than a gopher on the front gate who had no one else to deal with at 6pm. Certainly didn’t get as far as any clinicians.

I tried because they are already giving jabs to 12-16 yr olds where there’s clinical need or learning difficulties so clinically it’s proven not to be that risky and they’re happily encouraging for 18 yr olds to have a third dose which I happen to think is incredibly unfair when 14/15 yr olds haven’t completed the licensed course of vaccination.

Also having as a family been v adherent to all rules and regulations and not really been away from our own home for two years I’m trying to maximise the chance of this trip having to give a bit of joy to a teenage boy who has had a tough time.
ski holidays
@MHskier, first world problem. Get over yourself.
latest report
I think you’ll find wanting my child to receive the full vaccination course asap to give them a full compliment of antibodies for protection from covid is just a parental instinct. Do you have kids?

If you look at my posting history I’ve stated myself that the secondary element of going on a ski trip is very much a first world problem.
latest report
@MHskier

I just had notice from my local health board (Wales) it is being that it is being reduced to 8 weeks between vaccines. I expect all will follow I've the next few days. Might still be too late for me.
snow report
This was the notice

"We’ve reduced the minimum second dose interval for those aged 12-17 from 12 to 8 weeks, in light of the high incidence of Omicron in our communities. This is consistent with advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation and has been agreed at a national level."
snow report
That is good news. I’m near the border wonder if there’s scope for vaccine tourism (said mainly to wind ster up) Laughing
snow conditions
MHskier wrote:
That is good news. I’m near the border wonder if there’s scope for vaccine tourism (said mainly to wind ster up) Laughing

It's from jvci so if you return to the vaccine center tomorrow our first world problems will be solved wink
snow conditions
@MHskier, I read your first response where it sounds like you're wanting to accelerate the dosage in contravention of clinical decisions by those know better to "maximise the chance of this trip"? I think you and I know kids are at very low risk of having any adverse effect of getting infected with Covid. Why is it incredibly unfair for those at more risk to have a booster than kids at very low risk? I guess you're adhering to all the rules except this one?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy