Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking teenagers skiing this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
@Alex A, I'm in a busy resort wink some places were checking in summer some not. As I said earlier much of the control will probably be linked to lift passes anyway so mountain restaurants are covered anyway. There will be police spot checks so restaurants in town will check superficially, doesn't take long and won't be comprehensive just enough to convince the police they have tried. I don't think we will have many visitors who are not willing to comply, that will be more likely to be locals Confused . The ski school I work for have had plenty of enquiries from English schools for lessons so it would appear that plenty will jump through the hoops that are being placed by governments that are after all trying to look after their people and their economies.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The way I see it, as things stand and for Austria at least, the options are:

1) Carry on with the booking and hope for the best with regards to testing, knowing that we will have to isolate if positive - presumably we will have to try and find a hotel somewhere that will take covid positive travellers at short notice around Xmas . Also hope for the best in terms of UK and Austria case numbers not getting out of hand in the meantime. Even if we do this, we will need to change flights so that we are not flying via Munich.

2) Cancel flights and drive in the hopes that we are allowed to leave and drive home on a positive test

3) Change booking to Switzerland where fewer testing requirements

4) Forget skiing for 2021/2022

Sadly it's looking more and more like option 4 - we will need to start cancelling accommodation soon before we fall foul of booking conditions
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Chris n that's interesting re schools. I started looking into all of this directly as a result of friend's son's school ski trip to Austria in Feb half term being cancelled. It was cancelled on the basis that they couldn't afford to have teachers staying behind in Austria to look after any teenagers who tested positive whilst out there.

I completely understand the need for the hoops btw (I wish we had a few more in the UK and then perhaps we wouldn't be in this predicament). Just sad that we're no further on with being able to travel.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skibeskibe, I was surprised too, was just talking to the boss about it this afternoon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those with teens who they think have had Covid, check the relevant govt info yourselves, but I believe an antibody test less than 3 months old will count as a recovery and exempt them from daily testing in Austria. Presumably if you pay privately, you can get around any NHS concerns re. data release for minors?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, I posted this on the Austria thread
Source https://www.sozialministerium.at/Informationen-zum-Coronavirus/Coronavirus---Haeufig-gestellte-Fragen/FAQ-Einreise-nach-Oesterreich.html

Information about the coronavirus Coronavirus - Frequently Asked Questions FAQ : Entry into Austria

October 11, 2021FAQ : Entry into Austria

What is valid as proof of entry in terms of the 3-G rule?

Medical certificates serve to prove that the person named in the certificate

a molecular biological test ( e.g. PCR test) or antigen test tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 , or has received a corona vaccination, or recovered from an infection with SARS-CoV-2 .

The products must be in accordance with the in Latin script in German or English language Annexes A or B available. The validity of the respective proof can be found below.

Vaccination, convalescence and test certificates are equivalent if they are issued in Latin script in German or English.

Test results lose their validity for entry if the sampling at the time of entry for a molecular biological test ( e.g. PCR test) for SARS-CoV-2 for more than 72 hours or for an antigen test for SARS-CoV-2 for more than 48hoursHours ago. Antigen tests for personal use, which were digitally recorded by the authorities, remain valid for 24 hours.

In the case of regular entry (commuter traffic), test results are valid for seven days when entering from a state or area in Appendix 1 . If the entry is from another state or area (not on Appendix 1 or Appendix 2 ), all test results are valid for a maximum of 72 hours.

As vaccination record a document is on vaccination with an in Annex C mentioned the COVID-19-entry regulation vaccine when the following conditions are met:

Second vaccination, whereby this must not be more than 360 days ago and at least 14 days must have elapsed between this and the first vaccination, or21 days have passed since vaccination in the case of vaccines for which only one vaccination is planned, whereby this must not be more than 270 days ago,Vaccination, provided there was a positive molecular biological test ( e.g. PCR test) for SARS-CoV-2 at least 21 days before vaccination or proof of neutralizing antibodies before vaccination, whereby the vaccination must not be more than 360 days ago, orfurther vaccination, whereby this must not be more than 360 days ago and at least 120 days must have elapsed between this and a vaccination according to the three points mentioned above.

Proof of recovery is a medical or official confirmation of an infection with SARS-CoV-2 that has survived in the last 180 days , which has been confirmed by molecular biology ( e.g. PCR test).

A proof of neutralizing antibodies , which may be no older than 90 days.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chris_n, yep, clear as mud. I get why people are confused Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't think Google translate helps but the important take aways are:-
1. You don't need a code on an app to prove status, just a certificate in German or English.
2. Vaccines are valid from 21 to 270 days if single dose (J&J not single jabbed teenagers) or 360 days for 2 dose vaccines or maybe more relevant for parents of teenagers who have tested positive, proof of a PCR positive test more than 21 days before a single dose of Pfizer etc.
3. Proof of infection within the last 180 days or a positive antibody test less than 90 days old.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Situation in Switzerland: you can bring unvaxxed (but tested) under 18 teenagers as long as you are a vaccinated parent. When you get into CH however, the unvaxxed kids will need a quick test every 48 hours in order to get a certificate to be able to access bars and restaurants.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland/entry-requirements

We have a 15 year old coming in February, who will have had the usual U.K. single jab (and is therefore completely unvaccinated as far as the authorities here are concerned). At this rate, I think I'll be invited to the end of season party at the test centre in our village. Arrive Friday, test Friday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, depart Sunday. A lot of tests at CHF70 a pop, and heaven help families with 2 or 3 teenagers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@telford_mike, jeeeeeeesus. Also the time taken to test factor in a holiday is a PITA.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@telford_mike, everything I’ve read on CH government websites says covid pass is 16+ - is your information different?
Also my daughter has recently recovered and it seems I could upload the positive PCR evidencing that to the CH covid pass website, pay 30 CHF and it’s enough to be issued a pass. But it seemed from my reading, as she is under 16 it’s not required: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/haeufig-gestellte-fragen.html?faq-url=/covid/en/covid-certificate/do-children-and-adolescents-have-show-covid-certificate-places-certificate
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Skimum1, wow, you’re absolutely right - it looks like the Swiss are beginning to see sense!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Skimum1, yup. The Local Swiss covid pass (internal to Switzerland to get you into venues) are not needed for U16s.

Of course this is different to getting into Switzerland but where U16s are exempted from quarantine when non-vaccinated.

So all amounts to the same thing, U16s are all good to go.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Skimum1, PS This thread might also be useful to read for Swiss requirements

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156228&highlight=
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is almost a complete turnaround vs the silly situation we had last month, where all non-EU people (including non-EU Swiss residents if jabbed abroad) had to get tested every 48 hours. Fortunately, that crazy regulation only lasted a week.
snow conditions
Alex A wrote:
hang a sec all... as someone with 2 girls aged 13 and 15, do you really think it's a good idea and required to vaccinate teenagers? The risk level etc? Come on.,.. and I certainly wouldn't make the wrong decision just so we can go on holiday!

My girls made their own decision. I think the stats show that the UK government in this case is actually looking at their interests and health.

I want to continue to take my girls away as much as the next person, but I won't force them to have a second vaccine (not even possible) because other EU countries have decided this is their stance and it stops you from your annual ski holiday...

I'd much prefer the whole world see sense and realise this isn't a sustainable model for travel. PS this is my livelihood and I'm working day in day out as a leader of a travel company. So trust me, I have vested interests to get travel up and running fast. Corporate more so than personal albeit.

Alex
I think you are missing the point in arguing for or against vaccination for teens. The UK claims to follow the science but as I see it the government here seems to think 'exceptionalism and a stiff upper lip' means we will all be OK. They were and are wrong on many many levels with some many elements of COVID management. Other countries look at our policies and scratch their heads. Not just the European but Asian countries as well. Have all these other countries read the science wrong and decided to put their 12-15 yr olds in peril? If they double vaccinate, then as others have said why let in visitors without the same status? I have 2 x 15yr olds, of course I worry, but them catching COIVD is also a worry.
snow report
On the issue of Swiss holidays, has anyone got a solution to the fact that under 16's cannot get proof of vaccination (single or otherwise)? Will this mean that we cannot pay to the get the CH equivalent?

What a complete mess!
snow report
skibeskibe wrote:
On the issue of Swiss holidays, has anyone got a solution to the fact that under 16's cannot get proof of vaccination (single or otherwise)? Will this mean that we cannot pay to the get the CH equivalent?

What a complete mess!

Under 16s are exempt for bars & restaurants, and unvaccinated teenagers can enter the country with vaccinated parents. So no problem at all. Here's the link posted by @Skimum1 above.

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/haeufig-gestellte-fragen.html?faq-url=/covid/en/covid-certificate/do-children-and-adolescents-have-show-covid-certificate-places-certificate
latest report
Thanks @ster and @telford_mike, am hoping it is third time lucky for our trip we have booked in Feb in that case.
ski holidays
Thank you!
snow report
@Snowsartre, I would love to know how you got on with your trip! We are booked to go to Austria via Munich in December with 3 single vacc'd teenagers in our group so any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
ski holidays
skibeskibe wrote:

What a complete mess!

You dont need one for U16s in CH.
snow report
shardoski wrote:
@Snowsartre, I would love to know how you got on with your trip! We are booked to go to Austria via Munich in December with 3 single vacc'd teenagers in our group so any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

It’s a nightmare. We’re off to Austria at Christmas with a single jabbed 17yo. He had COVID at end of august so I think that’s too long ago by then to count.
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, That's 4 months. The infection counts for 6 months. He's good to go.
latest report
@bambionskiis, I think it's 180 days post infection so the 17 year old should be ok that then works for showing proof of vaccine status for bars etc
snow report
Ah right sorry I misread that then. He had it on his birthday and we were cussing at the time. Nice to think a positive will have come from it Very Happy
ski holidays
Indeed, a colleague at work 17 year old was similarly 'lucky', otherwise they would of been isolating in a hotel room while the rest of the family were on the beach this week Smile
snow report
@bambionskiis, don't forget as I pointed out on the Austria thread and earlier on this one infection followed by vaccine at least 21 days later counts as fully vaccinated in Austria.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MHskier wrote:
Given the changing landscape I think I'll ignore all the speculation and just catch up after christmas to see if travel/lifts/apps is any clearer!

I absolutely think this is the best way to approach it - my head is hurting trying to make sense if it all and we’re not even going til April Confused Very Happy
ski holidays
Trauma of son#1 being age 12+11 days when we are scheduled to go to Italy and not being able to get a green pass for him as we won't be able to meet the 14 days since vaccine rule may well no longer be a trauma - he's obligingly gone and got covid so squarely recovery in 90 days period I read about. Now how to get a recovered certificate for him....

Not so obligingly he's passed it his younger brother, his dad, probably me but am waiting for PCR result, his aunt, a 2nd cousin and probably his Abuela at a family event last weekend. Germ ridden oik!
snow report
Interested to hear how you get on getting a recovery certificate. My 13 y.o in a similar boat, brought home covid (and passed it on to whole family including both doubly vaccinated parents). We have the +ve PCR test result email, but he can't get the NHS covid pass as <16,and the basic test result email has no QR code so can't be used for French Pass Sainittaire, or Italy Green card, as far as I can tell ?

The whole UK not issuing travel compliant docs (either vax status or recovery status) to under 16s is a farce..
They will happily stick a needle in a 13, 14 or 15 y.o. but won't issue travel compliant evidence that they have administered said jab (ignoring 1 jab v 2 etc, if you are <16 you can't get evidence of any jabs). Likewise they will PCR test an under 16 y.o., email them a positive result and expect compliance of isolation, bombard you the parents with inane phone calls from test & trace, but then at the end of it won't issue travel valid evidence of having had the infection & recovery like they will do for an adult. Why ?
The gov/NHS (whomever is in charge of covid certificates) is blatently failing younger teenagers here.

I did read a news article fairly recently that they "were working on" producing a recovery cert for <16s but with no timescale. Seriously how card can it be - they have all the data, and the ability to generate a travel compliant bar coded certificate.
ski holidays
@Gazzza, The situation is not much better for 16 and 17 year olds most of whom do not have the option of a second vaccine.
ski holidays
As the father of teenagers, I've just sent a polite email rant to my Conservative MP who is quite a big 'up and coming' name about both the 1 v 2 jab issue and the failure of the NHS to provide proof of vaccination/infection status to under 18s.
If I get a worthwhile reply, will post it.
It is completely inequitable that my parents in their 80s can now travel freely, yet my daughters (who have been hammered by restrictions to ostensibly 'save granny') cannot.
ski holidays
@snowhound, more need to follow your lead, the more noise that can be made about this the better.
ski holidays
@Chris_n, Can't believe this hasn't got more traction in the media already. It's barely been mentioned, and if it has it is more of a minor inconvenience. Perhaps summer holidays are more outdoors so not as affected, and fewer people go on holiday or ski over winter.
snow report
I have a 16 yr old who has had one jab, and has had Covid itself, but no idea how I get proof of that, and / or whether the French / Swiss / Italian authorities will recognise it, and how I then upload all the evidence to their respective apps. The whole thing is a shambles!
ski holidays
@snowhound I could not agree more. Yes we’re lucky to be thinking about going away but it’s really crap that this is the only age group that can’t travel freely. On top of having their education/ friendships etc take a hammering over the last 2 years. I’m writing to my MP (Raab) too.
latest report
@Soozm, Tugendhat for me.
snow report
@snowhound I have a feeling yours might be more likely to listen although we do know Raab likes a holiday Laughing
ski holidays
Just returned from our place in the French alps with our single vacc 13yo & 15yo's. I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of where they would/wouldn't be allowed into, and after our experiences below i'm still no nearer to understanding the rules in terms of where the PS is required....

- nobody asked to see the PS for any of us when staying at the overnight hotel in Reims on the drive down and on the drive back, nor when my wife and the kids went into a McDonalds in Reims twice to get take out (please don't judge me, everywhere else was closed Embarassed )
- nobody asked to see the PS for any of us when we went into a large Carrefour supermarket, a couple of large DIY stores, a large BUT store, and the smaller village supermarkets
- we ate/had coffee at a couple of lakeside snack bars outside on the Evian waterfront, without any of us being asked for the PS
- we sat outside a bakery in Evian town for coffee/croissants and were asked if the kids had PS (they didn't ask about my wife or I), when we said that they only had 1 vacc and hence no PS the lady just smiled, put her hands over her ears, and said she didn't hear us (maybe it was the huge pile of croissants and cakes the kids had ordered that swayed her!!)
- we didn't try going in any restaurants as I assumed they would all be checking and wouldn't admit the kids.

So i've no idea what to expect when we return in December !! Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy