Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking teenagers skiing this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
Definitely 12 weeks in Kent. Walk in won't do less than 12 weeks, and could only book exactly 12 weeks or later
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
msjhes2 wrote:
looking at my chat history with my wife, it looks like Chris Whitty even announced it on the 15th at one of the press conferences! It may have changed again but certainly from then it was 8 weeks!

Likely your local centre got in to a huge amount of trouble for that and maybe why it is clearly now 12 weeks from first dose
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So JVCI announced it but it’s being inconsistently interpreted?

It’s not on that 12-15 yr olds are being denied the completion of an initial course of vaccination (2 doses as specified by manufacturers and licensed by mhra) but healthy 18-25 yr olds are being actively encouraged to get boosted. I v much doubt there’s any increased clinical risk in that cohort.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Skimum1, There is no real point to a confirmatory PCR given a Lateral Flow positive is now overwhemingly likely to be a real (rather than a false) positive. Particularly if you get the same result with a second test.
Given most teenagers are asymptomatic, 100s of thousands (possibly millions) of them will already have had a jab within a few weeks of infection..so I don't think there are any health issues.
They've already 'done their bit' over and over again. If it means we could finally take a thrice-cancelled holiday this Easter, I would not notify the NHS of their infection if it happened in the next fortnight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowhound, quite agree!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yay well we now have one double jabbed teenager. Our 12 year old booked for second as soon as she is allowed it on the 16th Jan. Just need France to allow us back in by Feb halfterm and not up the anti and start asking for 12+ To be have had a booster as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has anybody ordered covid vaccine proof from 119 for their teenagers yet? Reading the description they said allow 7 days… has this been people’s experience of receiving it? Does it have a one month expiry like the vaccine pass on the app that I can generate?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, My son doesn't get his second jab until the end of Jan, which gives me precisely 3 weeks to get it. I'm interested to know timings too!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My kids were vaccinated on Sunday 12th December. Certificate was requested on the 13th December in the evening. It was dated Thursday 16th December and arrived on Monday 20th December

It has a 1 month expiry (same as the adult certificates)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ma94jcg, thankyou. Very helpful.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Once you have the certificate, I would recommend uploading to one of the european covid pass checkers (e.g. TousAntiCovid, GreenPass Italia or Covid Cert) on kids phones. Then your kids can have an electronic version with them. Mine also used a widget app to have the QR code on their home screen (us adults used the TousAntiCovid app to have the pass on our Apple Watches - very convenient for checking!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ma94jcg, thank you again!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our younger teenager also booked in for her second jab as soon as allowed (17th); I’m terrified she’s going to catch covid between now and then which technically means we’ll have to wait 120 days before she can have it. I will be thinking very hard indeed about whether to take her for a PCR if she does get it (per LF) prior to the jab!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swoafs, that is understandable…. And not something I had considered. Thanks for the thought.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swoafs wrote:
Our younger teenager also booked in for her second jab as soon as allowed (17th); I’m terrified she’s going to catch covid between now and then which technically means we’ll have to wait 120 days before she can have it. I will be thinking very hard indeed about whether to take her for a PCR if she does get it (per LF) prior to the jab!

It's not 120 day wait if they catch covid. It's 28 days:

https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/working-for-us/staff/covid-staff-faqs-vaccine.aspx

"You can have the vaccine 28 days after you had a positive test for COVID-19 or 28 days after your symptoms started, so you may need to wait."

But yes, your teenager is under no obligation to take PCR test.

Edit: that link is internal NHS staff. Best to double check the 28 day wait.
latest report
I think it’s 120 days for teens…
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine-for-children-aged-12-to-15/

I’d be delighted if anyone can show otherwise though.
snow conditions
HilbertSpace wrote:
swoafs wrote:

It's not 120 day wait if they catch covid. It's 28 days:

https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/working-for-us/staff/covid-staff-faqs-vaccine.aspx

"You can have the vaccine 28 days after you had a positive test for COVID-19 or 28 days after your symptoms started, so you may need to wait."

But yes, your teenager is under no obligation to take PCR test.

Edit: that link is internal NHS staff. Best to double check the 28 day wait.

Neither is correct:

Quote:

If your child has tested positive for COVID-19 and is not at high risk from COVID-19, they need to wait 12 weeks before they can have a COVID-19 vaccine.

Source: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine-for-children-aged-12-to-15/
ski holidays
Sorry, 12 weeks, not 120 days…
ski holidays
Even 12 weeks would likely scupper this season, even for Easter, especially allowing for time for the certificate to come. I wish they’d let teens have their second dose at 8 weeks - most other countries have much shorter gaps so you would think the safety data would be available to review by now.
latest report
swoafs wrote:
Even 12 weeks would likely scupper this season, even for Easter, especially allowing for time for the certificate to come. I wish they’d let teens have their second dose at 8 weeks - most other countries have much shorter gaps so you would think the safety data would be available to review by now.

Hence why I really appreciate you highlighting the issue. I am on verge of switching out holiday booking to Italy but we need both girls double jabbed…
snow report
I asked a doctor at the vaccine centre why the wait is still 12 weeks for the second jab when I took my eldest last week. He said it was about stretching out their protection for longer rather than any safety issues. Possibly because they aren’t currently getting the booster. I am going to try a walk in clinic when younger son is at 11 weeks to guarantee getting the piece of paper in time for half term although I think we will just be ok with his end Jan appt anyway.
ski holidays
Hmm. I hadn’t even considered my son catching covid before his second jab. His first jab was delayed because he had covid late September, so theoretically he has the same protection as double jabbed, but with Omicron it’s possible. Doesn’t help that I have 3 kids in school and my wife works in a school too.
snow report
Yep that’s my concern. Even if France opens up and Italy regs allow for going we have to get junior to the 27th 2nd vacc with no covid, ahead of 18th feb trip that would need cancelling 4th feb. Arrrgh.
snow conditions
I flagged this issue for teenagers a week or so ago. Got my two booked in as soon as they could be for their second jab to minimise risk of catching covid beforehand so that we can go skiing at Easter. They're due it on the 15th January but if they catch it beforehand, I will not be taking them for a PCR so it stays off the NHS's records.
ski holidays
Yep tempted to do that too but mrs mhskier is v much a rule follower rolling eyes
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
I flagged this issue for teenagers a week or so ago. Got my two booked in as soon as they could be for their second jab to minimise risk of catching covid beforehand so that we can go skiing at Easter. They're due it on the 15th January but if they catch it beforehand, I will not be taking them for a PCR so it stays off the NHS's records.

I did too. In fact, had I delayed my son's first jab by a few days he would only be eligible for it now which would scupper skiing. He had covid late Sept (missing the school delivered jabs) and had his first jab 4 weeks later, about 1 week before they changed the timing to 12 weeks after infection! I booked his second jab the day they opened up the booking system, but even still it's not until 27th Jan.
snow conditions
MHskier wrote:
Yep that’s my concern. Even if France opens up and Italy regs allow for going we have to get junior to the 27th 2nd vacc with no covid, ahead of 18th feb trip that would need cancelling 4th feb. Arrrgh.

Although if my reading is correct then a proof of recovery (which hopefully a PCT result should work?), With one dose is as acceptable in place of double dosed?
latest report
I didn’t think so. Recovery for single vaccinated 12-15 yr olds doesn’t give a qr code (letter or app) that you’d need to get the green pass in Italy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowhound wrote:

There are valid health reasons for the gap between infection and vaccination. Although myocarditis risks are very low, they are not zero. Comparing the results from a recent population-wide study in Denmark vs US and Israeli data (longer dose gap in Denmark) has shown significantly decreased myocarditis risk (again, from what is already a low level) by extending the interval - so much so that the Danish data shows almost no increase in myocarditis above background levels. You’d have to lie (as would your children) to the healthcare staff in the initial questioning at the vaccination centre.

In your position, if I were planning an Easter break, and my kids caught covid pre second dose, I’d skip the 15th Jan appointment and leave at least an eight-week gap, which is the minimum allowed (in extremis) under current NHS guidelines. Hopefully this is all moot anyway, and your kids remain covid-free for the next few days.

If they are already at 12weeks (I think 11 October for first dose is the guidance as of today) then you could just get to a walk-in centre immediately.
snow conditions
@MHskier, We’re in Cervinia right now with 3 teenagers who’ve only had one jab. It’s an absolute bloody nightmare. You can’t get the 48 hourly LFT for love nor money. Our fit to fly QR was not recognized. You can’t go inside bars/ restaurants. Unless you’re double jabbed DO NOT GO. Luckily they’re not bothering to check the green pass at the lifts or they wouldn’t even be allowed to ski. They’re really hot on FP2 masks too. It’s a total hassle. Wish I’d stayed at home. (PS if you’re fully vaccinated it’s all good & the green pass app is easy to use)
ski holidays
I’ve pretty much already made the judgement that we probably won’t be going if we can’t get him second jabbed.

Just my opinion but with you needing 3x the amount of resort testing to coordinate and 3x the risk of one of the kids getting covid just before or during the trip - I would have cancelled in your shoes.
snow conditions
I know it’s probably an impossible statistical calculation, but I would really question whether the reduction in myocarditis risk is greater than the increase in risk of millions of teenagers going back to school without a second jab. There was a huge advertising push to say that 1 jab was not effective enough even against delta, never mind omicron, so it’s very hard to see why they haven’t set the gap at, say, 10 weeks which would correspond with the date they opened booking on the National system to 12-15s. It’s almost as if it’s a cost saving measure as by getting all the teenagers to have covid they might get away without paying for boosters for them.
snow report
@swoafs, I have had various uncharitable thoughts about our government and withholding the vaccines from our children.

Including after screwing up their education not wanting the make it to adulthood and be allowed to vote….
ski holidays
NickyJ, yes, I’ve lost all respect for our government and I reserve a special part of my ire for organisations like us4them which have the nerve to campaign for children not to be offered covid vaccines. How bl**dy dare they presume to take the choice away from the child and the parent Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
I feel for those suffering at the moment. The system is not fair on the kids.
We got ‘lucky’ with miniCF due to his schooling situation (ASC / Additional Needs), so he got both doses early enough.
But, we’ve made it to Sweden, and whilst it’s not the Alps, it’s a throughly chilled out holiday with very little requirements placed on us to get here (certainly on par or less than with the rest of Europe), nothing officially required for U18’s (although having his medical records at customs was a help), and in ‘resort’ (we’re way up North) there is no requirement for masks, just advice notices (although at -10, a mask is quite nice!), and the only test left for us the LFT to come home at the weekend.
I hope everyone can find success with their kids this winter, it’s been a rotten 2 years for them (and by association everyone else in the family) and I can’t recommend Sweden enough for good family time - just don’t go searching for monstrous black runs! snowHead
snow report
My just turned 12 year old had Covid just before Xmas. She can’t have her first jab for 12 weeks now. Am I right in thinking we will be ok for Italy and Austria in feb as she will be in official recovery but screwed for Easter as she’ll only have had one jab?
snow report
@Snowysarah, Depends if you can get proof of infection which they will accept?
snow report
@Snowysarah, as current rules stand your 12 year old can use the Ninja pass system to get in to Austria regardless of vaccine or recovery status.
snow conditions
@swoafs, we're fortunate in our family that my daughter goes to an international boarding school, and when she goes back in a couple of days then most of the girls around her will be double jabbed as they (and she) have accessed various different nation's routes to double vaccination (returning to home, or visiting nearby airbases, etc).

It's ridiculous that the UK Gov have dragged their feet so badly on this one area.

Having said all of the above it's still feels a little like bolting the door on an empty stable as maybe 80% of her year had Delta in late Sept/early Oct whilst many were still single or un-jabbed. Pretty inevitable in shared houses of around 30 girls each I guess.

We've all got colds at the moment after flying to UK, but a PCR and several daily LFTs each have all come negative so it goes to show 'other corona viruses are available'.
ski holidays
@Brewskis!, you're lucky in one aspect at least, in Courmayeur it's no uplift without a tick, full stop. Red hot on the masks too, but that was a comfort in a cable car, compared to feeling very uneasy in the same in France (where mask wearing is sporadic despite mandating).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy