Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2021/2022

Poster: A snowHead
Every picture tell a story etc

This is Prorel and the piste leading into Briancon taken this morning.

And the GFS ensemble outlook

All in all pretty depressing, though pistes are still holding out, and whilst Avy Risk in 1/5 , Collision Risk is 5/5 now have three friends involved in three separate incidents.

I took the mutt and the e-mtb up to Les Fonts this morning to check out the ski-touring options up there, as I did the Trois Évêchés sector yesterday, though temps were way too cold for snow to transform.

The forecast for tomorrow is an optimistic 10cms but again followed by strong winds.

More depressing reading & pictures here if you can face it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The 10cms that was forecast for yesterday maybe did fall but has now been blown away by strong winds, again rolling eyes

Think it was actually closer to 5cm.

Collected OH from Turin and that snow was not falling in the Via Lattea.

Eychauda ridge and Clot Gauthier face below the chair are nigh on snowless.

And just too windy to go up touring up around Lautaret me thinks.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any recommendations for a ski school.
We are coming at the end of March and may have a near beginner who would want a week of group lessons - ideally with other English speakers in the group if possible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Speak to Davina at Ski Connexions, they're based in Villeneuve but have english speaking instructors, if that's too far then ESI in Chantemerle get decent feedback Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@KenX, thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@KenX, how easy is it to get to ski connexion meeting point at the bottom of the Aravet Bubble lift for 9:15?
From their website, ESI doesn't appear to do adult group lessons?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ray Zorro, just catch the Vallée navette from Chantemerle! Stops at the bottom of the hill just after the Plein Sud from you
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We’re arriving on Saturday (Chantemerle) and looks like we’re bringing a little snow with us !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarletgirl, we were in Chantemerle last week. The black Luc Alphand run back down was hard & fast 1st thing in the morning but was carnage at the end of the day when the snow was scraped back to the hard & icy base and really busy. Take all the snow with you that you can from South Wales, it's needed! If you're not confident, take the bubble back down.

Enjoy/mwynhewch!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jd_evans, Diolch! Fortunately, I have no desire to do any back runs Very Happy so will be happy taking a lift down! Or maybe the run down to Villeneuve or Monetier, a drop of Vin Chaud & the bus home Smile So happy to be able to go away once again!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, @KenX, Hi guys. Im hoping all improves by the time of the SOPiB. Doing the double so not looking good in gress. But plan to eat my way round the mountain. Trying to sort skis.
Looks like there is some snow coming. I know its not a given but u guys being locals would have a better idea.So thinking piste ski and some powder skis or just a 94mm all mountain. I know it will just be a guess. But local knowledge is king. Look forward to a beer. Cheers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well guys we just can't believe it, yesterday was looking promising, and this morning the OH was ecstatic almost at how the forecast was even better than yesterday's, and now as has been so often the case this season it has all but disappeared Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

@Dutch Carl, so currently it looks like piste skis for you Crying or Very sad

For all the SHs coming out for the Bash I might well do a "Van Sale" including the OH's gear so will be a mixture of everything from skis through to goggles etc and some nice ladies' clothing with labels!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The models are swinging around all over the place for a week's time or so...

https://www.bergfex.com/serre-chevalier/wetter/prognose/#day5

This far out, instability is a good thing. Fingers crossed!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@leggyblonde, this is a good link, trouble is it just shows unsettled conditions, and nothing substantial, so no good for anything!

https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lon=6.57674&lat=44.9592&ville=La%20Salle-les-Alpes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, Isn't that just based on GFS? I'm hoping ECM gets it right!
latest report
@leggyblonde, GFS though I don't get too hung up over long-range forecasts, as that's really clutching at straws.

What has been quite bizarre this season is the number of Retour d'Ests/Genoa Lows etc that have come and gone Sad

What's worse now is I have a crocked Achilles again, not helped running on it yesterday, and not too sure cycling will be any good.
snow conditions
@Weathercam,

Straws are all I have to clutch at right now Sad

Sorry to hear about your achilles, at least you won't be missing out on any powder runs!
snow conditions
@leggyblonde, we think today has to be one of the warmest so far this year, sitting on the terrace in shorts.

It's like summer with all the lizards out!

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
ski holidays
Some very strange goings-on with the various weather sites the last couple of days especially www.snow-forecast.com

OH yesterday was all excited at all the snow predicted, then I looked and it had all gone.

And then the same for today, except this time I screen-grabbed the image, and at first I did think it was a caching issue but you and see the time and date of the forecast at the top.

And then a few hours later?

Interestingly yr.no is showing precipitation too for back end of next week.

https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-6559498/France/Provence-Alpes-C%C3%B4te%20d'Azur/Hautes-Alpes/Serre%20Chevalier

And finally how about this for Idiots Friday - the last busy day of the season, as the ski-school groups snake their way down the Casse du Boeuf, taken from our terrace, zoomed in.

Then they're let loose on the mountain after lunch without instructors, that's why we very rarely go up on a Friday!

But as you can see all it would take is one out of controlled skier at speed and would be carnage!

ski holidays
@Weathercam, Models are struggling with a low pressure out east and a low pressure out west battling a Sandi high. Little movements in their positions can make big differences, there's still a chance I might need snowchains to get over Mongenevre....
snow report
So a maybe the fat skis arrrh. Just Snow
snow report
So a maybe the fat skis arrrh. Just Snow
snow report
Went up the hill today, first time in a long while, and it was still surprisingly busy, as often a Saturday, even in high season can be quiet, but there were still a lot of vacationers having one last blast before leaving, along with many weekenders.

Pistes are still in a reasonable condition, though as to be expected bare in places/boilerplate along with stones.

What still continues to amaze me, especially having not been up for a good week or more, is how little snow there actually is away from the piste, and down on the valley floor walking the dogs, there were crocus shoots coming out.

Those looking at the forecast will have noted the comings and goings of precipitation for the end of next week, all we can do is hope that finally, we do get the goods, and not just 10-20cms.

That said I can't see them reinstating the XC in the valley now the holidays are over even if we do get substantial accumulations, they'll probably assess that anyone wanting to XC will head to Nevache etc.

So Ullr has now made the ultimate sacrifice, let's just hope the Gods look kindly on that and deliver the goods!
snow conditions
Heading out next Saturday (12th) any recommendations where to watch 6 nations in Briancon. Didn't realize it was a bash week, might see some Snowheads out there.

Hope the weather's kind, but can't wait to be out in the mountains again, it's been too long Very Happy
snow report
@Nik, do you have transport?

I don't know about bars in Briancon for the rugby, but the Plein Sud hôtel in Chantemerle will be showing them with happy hour beer prices.

And 1420 bar in Villeneuve is where I go as big screen and good atmosphere.

There are buses running in the valley après ski si you can get those.

As for that snow that was looking like 20cms for next weekend, see that's now a dribble yet again Sad
snow report
Thanks for the info, and the happy hour tip.

No transport, but as most likely to be taking a beer or 2 (...) would have to be the bus anyway.
snow conditions
@Nik, Eden Bar in Briancon show the rugby, don't expect much atmosphere in it unless France are playing but they have a couple of TVs and some decent beer.
latest report
WARNING DON'T GET EXCITED !!!

Think I've mentioned before how Snow-Forecast has been showing substantial amounts of snow only for it to disappear a couple of hours later, and the same happened again this morning Evil or Very Mad

Now for those coming to the Bash you might have thought that was a classic case of Sods Law but you'll be glad to read that snow has gone too.

The forecast is now showing more overcast conditions, though we often end up with sunshine instead of the cloud, and that might be the case for Mon-Wed but it's looking like a mixed bag of conditions Sad

Today we opted to ski-tour up in the Galibier sector as although it's been sunny every day there's been a chill wind as I've found out cycling up the Granon twice this week.

But at least the cold has kept the snow at altitude and we timed it well today with the snow transforming to good Spring snow, but we had to work to get to it, but it was a good sortie.

Just below the Pic Blanc du Galibier on the Vallons Roche Noire side, looking down to KenX, and the OH with a nice line to be had Cool

And then en-route with La Meije in the distance.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Team orange Laughing
latest report
Clutching at straws as many forecast sites are not showing this snow for Sunday, 17cms

https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-6559498/France/Provence-Alpes-C%C3%B4te%20d'Azur/Hautes-Alpes/Serre%20Chevalier
ski holidays
Off to Puy in a couple of weeks and clutching at every little straw. On a positive note the weather patterns are changing, but who knows what the changes will be ?……….
ski holidays
There was actually circa 1cm of fresh up the hill today evidently, maybe 3cm's at 2,800m
latest report
Well yr.no was more than right!

Snowed lightly all day yesterday though no real accumulation in the valley though I spoke to a kid circa 15:00 who was just back from being up the hill and he said 7-8cms.

Then the taps opened up more late afternoon and this morning have 16m on the terrace table.

So must be a good 25cm up the hill.

Far from what we need but certainly better than a poke in the eye etc.

Almost bluebird this morning and clearing some snow just now it's very light though forecast is for temps to rise.

Enjoy if here, though I might well take my rock-hoppers.
snow report
This was the table on the terrace early this morning with 16cms

Arrived at foot of Casse du Bouef Chair at 08:55 and there was already a queue, but the beauty of Joy was that we went straight to the front getting a fair amount of stares, made even better by my neighbour an ESF Off-Piste guide jokingly exclaiming and throwing his poles at me for us getting in front of him Laughing

Then a first, we actually had the first tracks getting on the lift!

Then it was a brilliant blast all the way down the Casse with about 10cm-25cm of fresh depending on where had been pisted the night before.

When we took the chair back-up that had just about been skied out.

Then it was back-up again and our usual powder stashes.

By 10:30 it was already getting heavy in the sun.

We actually had a bit of a potential medical incident crop up so had to curtail our morning.

Good thing is that the wind has not done its usual and there's still plenty of cold snow to be had on N facing slopes.

Though as forecast, temps did rise and all that snow on our terrace and S facing slopes has nigh on gone, which is what we feared would happen Sad

So looks like not too much more in the forecast for the next 12 or so days, so maybe side/slack country and touring being the best options.
snow conditions
Looks like another 5-10cm up the hill this morning, though melting fast in the valley again.

Just heard from a friend in La Grave that it's shut there this morning due to strong winds!

That happens so often, strong winds here and nothing on that side, and then the reverse, like today.

Very mild tomorrow with FL's circa 3,200m

And looks like maybe some more snow on the horizon at the weekend, but nothing too substantial, though enough for traffic issues again?
snow report
Getting reports of Saharan sand again, just hope not as bad as last season.

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/bourgogne-franche-comte/doubs/besancon/meteo-poussieres-de-sable-du-sahara-les-voici-de-retour-dans-le-ciel-de-france-jusqu-en-bourgogne-franche-comte-2497639.html
snow report
The Pi Mai serves the best coffee in Serre Che. Almost as important as the snow!
snow report
@leggyblonde, this season is so bizarre in so many ways, I've not even made it to the Pi Mai this season, let alone ski Lauzierre trees in Monetier, The Montagnolle, as well as off the Cibouit or even visiting Peyra Juana.

I've put myself off-games (ski & road cycling) this week to try and get my knee settled, though have been using the e-mtb to exercise Ullr in the valley.

The resort now this week has a very quiet feel to it, almost as if it's the last week of the season.

There's still good piste skiing to be had and those that are here are enjoying empty pistes and the sunshine is gradually coming back, though is still quite hazy.

The middle of next week is looking unsettled which figures as my daughters and a friend are out and they'll just be wanting sunshine rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Weathercam, oddly enough there were more skiers on Prorel this morning then there has been all weekend ( seen from my hospital room) and a surprisingly large number of cars in Monet car park when I got back this afternoon. Loads of folks out walking too.
snow report
@Hells Bells, always the same from around now, many walkers of more mature years enjoying it being not so busy.

Pointless car park was nigh on empty and a few others in Villeneuve were way less busy compared to even last week, along with the apartments down in front of us.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy