Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Much more basic shock/horror

Poster: A snowHead
Dry Slopes Shocked

OK all joking aside......

from reading the topic it sounds as though you have them scattered all over the country. i realize that i spend 150 days or so per annum on snow in colorado, however, what could possibly lead someone.........indoors........to make turns on lubed (misted) or un-lubed(bone dry) plastic Confused

what really puzzles me is why they are seemingly so prevalent in the UK and i know of none in the USA.

perhaps there is a nexus to our not teaching traversing or sideslipping Little Angel

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 14-05-06 3:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rusty Guy, it is indeed a mystery why there are no dry slopes in milder areas of the US. Perhaps as global warming really kicks in, they will become more prevalent. Having raced on dry slopes between 1974 and 1994, and having coached on dry slopes since 1988, I can say that they enable youngsters to get to a very high level - carving turns through slalom courses. As evident in this shot:
http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/phpnuke/html/data/nuke_data/wall/CAL/S10.jpg
(It is quite within the bounds of possibility that the kid in that shot has never made a turn on snow, although the chances are that he would have done a few camps in the Alps.)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://virtualsnowla.com/

http://www.jusocar.com/snow/index.htm

http://www.snowflex.com/news-view.php?SelectItem=35
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Global warming? Who needs snow... (14 year-old in Sauze, Southern French Alps)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rusty Guy, the lack of dry slopes in the USA is just another indication of American Superiority.
Dry slopes (sorry Alan Craggs) are an abomination.
Injuries are not uncommon. They have been discussed here. The lawyers are on the case.
I would be interested to know how many skiers have had their holiday ruined by visiting one of these places before they go.
I have suffered the dreaded thumb injury. It remains vulnerable to mild knocks even 10 years later.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin Bell, The picture shown was taken at Norfolk Ski Club and we have children who race in our race team who have never been on snow.

Jonpim, At the above club we have over 3000 members many who use the slope to practise for their holidays or who race
although there is a regular turnover the vast majority are long term members and I can only assume that they have considered the risks and decided that the experience they gain out ways the possibility of injury.

From personal experience of having skied on Dry Slopes for over 25 years I do not believe that many of the thumb injuries are caused by catching your thumb in the open Dendix matting but are caused by holding a pole and when falling taking the weight of your fall on the lower thumb joint, it is almost as easy to hurt your thumb in the same way when falling on the piste.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rusty Guy, I've been skiing on plastic for almost exactly a year now (after recommendations from easiski, ski and Mark Hunter who went along to my local slope a few months before me), and normally do a couple of sessions a week.

There are two reasons to do it:
1) ability to practice throughout the year
2) the unforgiving surface/limited length punishes technique errors very immediately, so is pretty good for technique refinement.

Reasons not to:
1) hurts like hell when you fall over (on Dendix)
2) ...erm
3) hurts like hell when you fall over (on Dendix)
4) scenery's pretty rubbish
5) it can be pretty expensive (particularly if you go to the indoor "real" snow domes - something I've never done)

The slope I ski at is about 15 minutes down the road (there is also a much shorter one I've not skied at about 10mins away), and there are about 10 more within about 90 minutes drive from here. Of course not a single one has the attraction of a genuine alpine snow slope (preferably off-piste) - but it's just not practical (or environmentally friendly) to jump on a plane for 12+ hours each way every weekend throughout the year Very Happy.

Actually the first artificial slope I skied on was at a "genuine" ski resort in the USA (well....in Ohio anyway rolling eyes ) Alpine Valley - although it looks as if it's completely changed since I went there as a raw beginner, and their trail map no longer shows it. That was not Dendix, but was something similar (blue square rather than white/grey diamond arrangements of the matting).

kevinrhead, that's an interesting observation. The first few months I went over far more times than I care to remember, but mostly managed to avoid the dreaded Dendix thumb - but then I think I've lucky there. I did pick up a fair few bruises (almost, but not quite, as bad as that photo by Alan Craggs), but I've picked up just as bad thumb bruises from falling on skipoles on hard pistes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Martin Bell, you are, of course, making a number of implicit assumptions that global warming will result in less snow...maybe warmer averages will result in more precipitation, including more snow for a period?

Or even, Gaia (who clearly knows best) will do her stuff and the global warming effect will cross some bizarre and unpredictable tipping point triggering the long overdue ice age!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
By the way, why are these slopes often called Dry Slopes?
All the slopes I know have sprinklers to keep them wet.
This plastic stuff is rubbish when its dry - you just don't move at all.
May I suggest "Slightly Damp Slopes"? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
in a way it reminds me of the photos that i have seen, depicting three tiered golf practice facilities in japan.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim, I'm agraid that our slope doesn't have sprinklers (the local young persons would make short work of anything so fragile - we have to remove the poma buttons every night, and there have been numerous attempts to set the Dendix on fire rolling eyes ). And yes, when it's dry it's pretty bad, although even a humid evening can make it quite skiable, no need for rain or frost.

However, when you ski on dry Dendix for most of the year you don't tend to complain about snow conditions when in the mountains Laughing

(and despite the bruise, I've dislocated a shoulder and had my recent wood experience on snow, both far worse injuries than anything I've done on plastic)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DM,

I've always thought this... warmer climes means more moisture evaporates into the atmos which must come down as more rain, I'd have thought. As long as we get cold temps then we will get snow. It might not hang round as much if the temps get warmer so we just refresh rather than add to a solid base so glaciers might recede but skiers should get more frequent top-ups... We will have to see how this pans out over a period on time...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rusty Guy, coming soon to a slope near you (well on your side of the Atlantic anyway) Coolzone Winterplex in Dallas - more here More general info on the type of thing they might be planning there is here.

Funnily enough one of the only two other artificial slopes I know of in the US is also in Texas - part of the Texas A&M University, and known as "MT Aggie" - the other one was KidSlope in Denver which I believe has closed now.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rusty I'm with you...

even in hot dry old Oz I had not heard of anyone wanting to pay money to do this..... we may ski on sand-dunes, grass, or the collected ice from the machine that grooms the ice-skating rink(yes I have heard of a bunch doing this and taking it away in a trailer to set up rails etc....)

We do have an indoor ski slope - but with man made snow....

but ski on hard plastic? Nope..... the sand seems a far better option(just need very old skis because they will get trashed!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Orlando and Dallas? Boy, that'll be hot in summer! (Especially if the "long sleeves and trousers" rule is enforced...)
latest report
PG's picture reminds there is/or was until recently a grass ski slope near me (Usk, South Wales). In 10 years of living here I've nver been tempted and one the few times I've driven past have never seen anyone on there.
ski holidays
dan100, that centre closed ages ago, grass skiing rarely happens these days in the UK. But it's booming elsewhere - less so in France, but Switzerland, Italy, Germany, the eastern European countries, Japan and now China are investing heavily. I wonder why Confused.

Good fun, excellent for technique, stance is virtually identical (as the pic shows).
latest report
PG, How much effort is needed to prepare the slope for grass skiing ? Does the weight of snow during the winter flatten out any lumps in the ground ?

I tried it once, next to Pendle dry ski slope and found it impossible. The grass was short enough thanks to the sheep, but their droppings kept jamming the tracks.
ski holidays
Ordinary mud can cause similar problems, but there's a system where strong, stretchable polythene is clipped onto the ski, protecting the workings to an extent. You can just about make out the polythene in this photo. Usually last several days at least. Inbetween session the ski is thoroughly cleaned - the polythene either removed (see here), or unclipped (see here).

A bucket of water, with washing up liquid is used, then the ski is hosed down.

A light, biodegrable oil is used on the rollers to speed up the ski, applied several tiimes during a session. Today's skis are rockets - it takes a lot to slow them down, and when they are well maintained it's hard to jam them.

The biggest problem isn't so much droppings as the stones that come to the surface on some slopes. A run has to be smoothish, no steeper than an easyish red, and wide - especially at the bottom. Has to be as no sideslipping is possible, you stop by turning uphill. Does wonders for people with a tendency to skid turns - you don't try that twice on grass skis! Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 15-05-06 10:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

Does wonders for people with a tendancy to skid turns - you don't try that twice on grass skis!

How do the boarders get on? A castor on their backside? Shocked
latest report
All terrain boarding is booming in the UK:
http://www.atbauk.org/portal/index.php?page=14
Perhaps if some of these centres could be persuaded to rent out grass skis, grass skiing might rise again in the UK. But I'm not holding my breath - the problem with grass skis is the amount of cleaning and maintenance required.

PG wrote:
dan100 but Switzerland, Italy, Germany, the eastern European countries, Japan and now China are investing heavily.

PG, you can add Vietnam to that list: http://www.thanhniennews.com/sports/?catid=5&newsid=14747
snow conditions
Martin Bell, cheek of it, "Thanh Nien News" has nicked my photo! (taken in Czech Republic a few years back...)

But more importantly, is this accurate I wonder?
Quote:
Based on its growing popularity, grass skiing is to be included for competition in Olympic Games 2008 in Beijing, China.

If true it will be a demonstration sport of course... doubt it'll catch on!
ski holidays
I checked with the chairman of the FIS grass skiing committee and he hadn't heard anything, so I'm rather skeptical.
latest report
Jiri Russwurm?

On the issue of cleaning and maintenance, in 2003 Jiri was hopeful of a 'production line' ski being designed, to get away from the current handmade race models, with their numerous and fiddly spare parts. Wonder if any progress was made there - I doubt it, I haven't heard anything new. Pity - that would make a big difference, as you rightly suggest...
snow conditions
PG wrote:
Jiri Russwurm?
Yes.
snow report
PG wrote:
Martin Bell, cheek of it, "Thanh Nien News" has nicked my photo! (taken in Czech Republic a few years back...)

Well, it's probably not worth going to war over.... Laughing
snow conditions
Martin Bell, they're welcome to it, grass skiing needs all the publicity it can get!

Sure you don't want to give it a go again, by the way? Madeye-Smiley GB could make it a team of two - the vet wink and the CH II girl, JUN I first year come 2008 ... Laughing
ski holidays
please tell me...... ewe......guys are kidding about the issue involving sheep.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rusty Guy, no joking matter if a stone - or anything else - jams the tracks on one of these at 50 mph plus!

(Click on thumbnail)

... and don't forget, chances are skiing on green is the future - like it or not! Confused You'd better start thinking about taking a few lessons Very Happy wink
latest report
That's a great photo out of the starting gate. The skier was certainly going for it!
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, you should try it! RV last week of July in Le Sauze (Barcelonnette) Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin
snow report
PG, I've done it once, about 25 years ago. It was on wheeled 'skis' rather than tracks from what I can remember, and great fun although I hated the portable rope tow they used as it wanted to rip my arms from my shoulders each time I used it.

I suspect that today I'd be too scared to do it (or deeply embarrassed by how bad I was)!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy