Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Patrol E1 - 30l or 40l?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Looking to treat myself and get one of these for this season - but have read mixed reports as to the volumes being somewhat less than the label suggests.

Basically, I want to use it for lift served off piste, (avi kit, spare layer, food/drink) for which the 30l would clearly be more than enough space. But would the 30l also be big enough to add in skins, boot crampons, harscheisen, shell jacket/pants for bigger touring days away from the lifts - or do people tend to go up to the 40l for this kind of use? And if so - is the 40l huge/ridiculous for a day on the lifts, or does it cinch down well enough to not be ridiculously oversized?

Also, as a final comparison - anyone have any thoughts/experience of the Alpride Supercap/Superlights?

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In my experience every backpack I've used has come up under sized based on the quoted volume. This is mainly because pack volume is generaly measured by filling the pack with small balls, which are then emptied into a regular shaped container for measuring. This means every unusable gap is counted as part of the volume, so the more complex the pack shape the more disappointed you are likely to be.

I've got the E1 40L, and it does come up small in my opinion, but to some extent it depends on how large a shovel, probe you have, and how big/stiff your skins are. Also how much liquid you take to drink (I've been touring and drunk a couple of litres, whereas my guide only seemed to take a couple of mouthfulls all day).

I rarely take off my backpacks on lifts unless I'm forced to either by the lift operators or by the shallow depth of the chair. The fan/battery unit means that the E1 is never going to be as flat as a normal pack, but I've never noticed it being an issue.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was just about to order the 22L, so I'm kind of interested in the responses here, although it won't change the pack size for me as the 30L is too long for me to carry comfortably.

Going Downhill wrote:
anyone have any thoughts/experience of the Alpride Supercap/Superlights?

What are you referring to? (Sorry, I'm not that up on Scott brandspeak Confused )
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet wrote:
I was just about to order the 22L, so I'm kind of interested in the responses here, although it won't change the pack size for me as the 30L is too long for me to carry comfortably.

Going Downhill wrote:
anyone have any thoughts/experience of the Alpride Supercap/Superlights?

What are you referring to? (Sorry, I'm not that up on Scott brandspeak Confused )

this one - made by Alpride themselves https://www.alpride.com/supercap33
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got the Mammut Ride On Removable Airbag 30L, that has been fine for day tours and also a 3 day hut to hut tour a few years ago.

However when touring in Scotland over Covid and taking extra waterproof layers etc it was pretty full, and that was with the airbag removed.

Are the actual dimensions lengthwise pretty similar between the 30 and 40?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going Downhill wrote:
this one - made by Alpride themselves https://www.alpride.com/supercap33

Gotcha. Thanks. Price is similar, but it looks like the Superlight 24 is a bit less durable than the Scott 22L – it's a touch lighter, but says it won't carry skis in A-frame or a snowboard, and has lots of “handle with care” warnings on it. As I'm not that gentle with my kit, the Scott sounds like it might wear a bit better. For the larger ones, it might just be down to whether the style/features suit you better.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The stated volume of the Scott packs are with the Alpride system removed so with the system installed the 40L nets out at 37/38L, the 30L = 27/28L and the 22L = 19/20L.

Going Downhill, the 30L is fine for a shovel, probe, skins, harscheisen, spare gogs'n'gloves, some water, spare mid layer, a bit of food and a multi-tool etc. With this load I've never need to remove the pack on lifts. Any more kit than that you'll need the 40L and for serious distance hut-to-hut stuff you'd probably remove the Alpride system from the 40L pack. But there's absolutely no problem running the 40L pack 'light' as a day pack so for your requirements the 40L would be the better 'one pack quiver' solution. The Scott packs are superior to the Alpride packs in terms of quality/durability/function.

@Scarlet, the Scott 22L (54x26x19cm) pack is only suitable for the most vertically challenged or kids. One of the difficulties with the smaller 20/22L packs on the market is the length of the shovel/probe compartments plus of course the fact that the actual avi system within the pack is the same size irrespective of the pack size meaning that the smaller the pack size the greater the amount of space is taken up by the avi system.

However, there's another option in that from last season Scott are offering their E1 30L pack in a smaller length compared to the regular 30L size of 60x28x19cm. It typical ski industry fashion, to confuse things is called the 30L SL (Short Length) and it's the same 28x19cm width x depth but shorter in length at 57cm. This means that it's really a 28L with the system removed which nets out to a 25/26L with the system installed. So you get more volume and it'll fit a (reasonably compact) shovel handle/probe length etc. I think that the 30L SL would be perfect for you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, too late, I've ordered it! My kit fits in a 14L anyway when I'm not carrying an airbag, and Conrads haven't got any other SL sizes in stock, just the normal ones. If it doesn't fit my shovel, I'll send it back and try and find the other one.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, You've made me do a bad thing. I now have 2 backpacks on order, coz I found the 30L SL with 20% off and I'll keep the one that's the better size but it's just too hard to figure it out from the internet!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, there’s a subtle design difference between the two, which might or might now affect you - I have both the normal length 30 and the 22.

The 22L model has its ski attachment straps running over the zip, so the straps effectively “protect” the zip and a) mean the weight of the skis doesn’t stress the zip, and b) mean that if the zip does partially fail, it won’t unzip all the way round, because the compression straps relieve the load at 4 locations.

The 30L model has the straps attached on the side panel, so they put the stress onto the zip. I’ve not had any problems with mine, but it does make me nervous, and if it does fail, the design means it will likely be catastrophic, I.e. the whole zip will undo, and the contents of your pack will be dropped down whatever slope is steep enough that you had to boot up it…
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowdave, Ooh that's interesting. Thanks. I shall try them both out with my skis and see how they hold up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, I’m sure they’ll both be fine - mine have been, and have had plenty of use. The problem is that on most of my outdoor kit with zips, the zip is the most common failure mode by far, and unlike e.g. a seam starting to burst, it’s harder to fix in the field. It’s the long term wear issue I worry about.

Also worth checking the base of the tools pocket on the 30 to see how it’s sewn and whether you can poke the bottom of the shovel handle through it. On mine and a couple of others I’ve seen, the base of the tools pocket is sewn such that you can’t actually open the Velcro which means you can’t poke a longer shovel handle out the bottom. They may have since fixed this (it may be a sewing error on all 3 I’ve seen). Or you might have to take a seam unpicker to it…!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowdave, My shovel handle is a fair bit shorter than the probe, so I don't see it being a massive issue, but I'll look out for that error anyway.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, I've sold a large number of Scott 30L/40L packs and haven't had/seen an issue with the velcro opens in the bottom of the equipment pocket. If I had it would've have been an instant warranty replacement. A big proportion of my sales get a tremendous amount of use (a good number of Pro Guides etc) and I've not seen nor heard of any issue with the ski carry system causing an issue with the zip. The system is as is so that the pack can be easily opened with skis attached but the 22L pack isn't really deep enough for wider skis if the straps were affixed in the same way so they go over the top.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 5-10-21 13:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have a 30L Scott pack and I for me it works fine also for one day touring hikes. But of course the space for "good to have" stuff are limited -benefit is that it will not be a too heavy pack.
snow report
Thanks everyone - and specifically to Spyderjon for your comprehensive response.
Looks like the 40l will be better as I get through a fair bit of water and also will need to carry a bit of mountaineering kit from time to time.
ski holidays
Here is an interesting one - any rumors that Scott is planning to release an E2 version of the bag? Haven't really seen much online on this, but what caught my eye was E1 specifications description on Scott's website:

The SCOTT Patrol E1 30 Backpack is the predecessor of the Patrol E2. The Alpride E1 Airbag system revolutionized security in the mountains thanks to its supercapacitor technology, and is still a reference in the market thanks to its light airbag and a number of other features. With 30 litres of space to pack all your essentials for the day, this backpack elevates your safety for those unforgettable backcountry adventures.

Puzzled
ski holidays
@iv, Scott's website says no such thing.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, it does in the search metadata - if you google the phrase "Patrol E1 30 Backpack is the predecessor of the Patrol E2" then Google returns the product page for the E1 with precisely that text.

It doesn't appear on the actual product page - maybe placed in error and recently deleted?
snow report
@spyderjon - it did for a while until very recently (link to a screenshot below). Additionally, as @snowdave mentioned - can still see it in the search metadata.

https://imgur.com/a/CNZX6jw
ski holidays
I saw that too, and just as I'm thinking of changing my old ABS and Scott E1 40l was most likely new backpack of choice, this starts to get interesting. Need to check with my Scott contact what's about all this, as if there's anything on this, it might be worth to wait a little bit Smile
snow report
Spoke to my Scott rep and there's no change for 21/22 - all the production is now made and being delivered. If there's any change for 22/23 then that won't be announced until the trade shows end Jan/early Feb for autumn 2022 delivery.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, when are you likely to get stock in?
snow conditions
I'm meeting up with the UK Scott dude in a couple of weeks, he's an old Windsurfing mate, so will ask him. We were having a nag on the phone a week or two ago and he said he was off to HQ to discuss developments, so not too sure if that was before we meet up or not Puzzled

Currently, I'm sourcing an AlpRide system to put in another Scott pack, as my OH now has a women's shorter pack, so I was going to use her old pack, last season on the AlpRide site you could buy the stand-alone system but there's nothing on their site at the moment.

That said just speaking to SnowSafe https://www.snowsafe.co.uk and they have them in stock Very Happy

Interesting to note that Osprey, a backpack manufacturer I've always admired are now doing an E1 pack too, which you can look at on the above link.

So trigger now pulled on this Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 11-10-21 11:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Does anyone know if there is any indication on the 30L SL bag itself that it is in fact SL? I'm trying to make sure I'm looking at the correct model here. I understand that the 22L only comes in SL, so there's no room for error there? Ta.
latest report
@Scarlet, I think that's the bag my OH went for and indeed it's a fair bit shorter on the body for her, I'll see if I can dig out some photos of both for comparison
snow report
@Weathercam, I don't have the bigger one to compare it to, so I was looking for a label or code or something that is only on the SL bag for verification.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, well she definitely has the smaller one, so presumably that is the SL one that @spyderjon, referred to I'd surmise?

In fact, you can clearly see how this fits her well, the other one was half along her backside.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc wrote:
@spyderjon, when are you likely to get stock in?

I have them in stock at the moment and as usual they're going like hot cakes but more coming soon.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
Does anyone know if there is any indication on the 30L SL bag itself that it is in fact SL? I'm trying to make sure I'm looking at the correct model here. I understand that the 22L only comes in SL, so
there's no room for error there? Ta.

The 40L and the 22L only come in one size. It's the 30L that comes in two lengths, either the NL (normal length) which is available in black or blue or the SL (short length) which only comes in blue.

The packs come in a clear plastic bag with are labelled either 30 NL or 30 SL. If it's not in the bag then the 30 SL must firstly be a blue pack and then you can measure the back length. IIRC the SL is 56/57cm whereas the NL is 60cm.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, Yes, it is blue, but it came in a black Scott bag which was in a clear plastic bag, but neither bag nor the attached labels have a size indication on them. The print on the bag itself says “PATROL E1 30”, so I just wanted to check that it's not the bigger one. I'll get a tape measure out...
latest report
Yep, the pack that Mrs.Weathercam is so ably modelling is definitely the SL length.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy