Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets Or Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Cant Decide Between Les Gets and Tignes ... I Love Long Slopes. Help Urgently ! Please Explain Why u Prefer Tignes or Les Gets ! Thank You.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can’t think of two totally different ski resorts .
I haven’t skied Les Gets and without wishing to offend Les Gets lovers I have no intention of .

One is a low old fashioned ski town in the base of the valley with no high level skiing , no doubt pretty but not snow sure and I understand when there is snow it’s not that great whilst the other is one of the highest ski resorts in the world with snow sure skiing long runs and a comprehensive lift system and fairly brutal looking accommodation .

Without wishing to offend I’m not sure if your taking the wee wee ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes is
- Higher so a better bet for Dec/April skiing.
- Higher so more prone to access issues as more time driving small roads above the snow line.
- Gives you access to a large ski area.
- A purpose build blob of concrete sat up a mountain (though a long way from being the worst offender in that category).
- A good drive south from/past Geneva.

Les Gets
- Lower so more of a risk for Dec/April skiing*
- Lower so less prone to access issues due to less time on small roads above the snow line.
- Gives you access to a large ski area (though a little bit of a faff to get to the body of it, much of which can be avoided staying in its sibling, Morzine).
- A real valley village so a little more sole.
- About the closest resort to the UK/Geneva.

* Though I've done opening week in Morzine a few times and only had one truly bad year, but that was a bad start to the year for most resorts. I'm actually following up the Pre Season Bash in Tignes with the first week in Morzine this year and if there's snow in Tignes I'm generally expecting there to be snow in Morzine...and if there isn't snow in Tignes I'll be very fat and very hungover at the end of the two weeks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This must be a wind up. Les Gets has already been established as the worst well known resort in the alps….it’s France, it’s low, it’s isolated and most runs are short. Bizarrely it’s also relatively expensive property wise…..why on earth are people still overpaying for a tiny square of old farmland with hardly any snow.

Don’t get me started on the lift system…..still have chairs from the 70’s….I’d knock most of it down
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thz guys!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 3-10-21 9:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thx guys!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@polo, wow. You hate Les Gets Laughing

Apart from Mt Chery, most of the lifts have been upgraded.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
polo wrote:
This must be a wind up. Les Gets has already been established as the worst well known resort in the alps….it’s France, it’s low, it’s isolated and most runs are short. Bizarrely it’s also relatively expensive property wise…..why on earth are people still overpaying for a tiny square of old farmland with hardly any snow.

Don’t get me started on the lift system…..still have chairs from the 70’s….I’d knock most of it down

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@polo, I agree with you. It was so bad they had to go and invent Avoriaz to make up for it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apres ski is a choice of 6-7 old english codgers in a bar or a watching a bunch of screaming kids.

Don't know why I've posted almost 20 videos of the place over the last few years...
Here's a typical example for those unsure about how flat it is. I mean if it wasn't for all the snow you could easily land small aircraft there.

http://youtube.com/v/EDE9Do6iGJk

No one should have to pay good money for this. Everywhere else is better.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@polo, where is that? Is that in between Tulip and Sautenaille?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Timmycb5, not sure of Sautenaille? But that vid is to the right side of Tulipe at first, then down the left side

edit yep just seen where Sautenaile is....you're right
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah, Sautenaille is to the right of Tulip as you face down the slope. Looks like you were there a couple of weeks before me. Damn that lack of snow. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5, I'm always there (live nearby)....heading up next week for a hike

Getting back on topic, the answers are:

1. Austria
2. Dolomites
3. Verbier
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@WhiteMan, it would help if you would give a little more detail on what you want?
ski holidays
I'd happily have a holiday at either, early/late season I'd perhaps prefer Tignes, although this pics was les get 16th Dec Smile

snow report
polo wrote:
….

http://youtube.com/v/EDE9Do6iGJk

No one should have to pay good money for this. Everywhere else is better.

I see what you mean - that’s a complete waste of time and money Shocked
ski holidays
@Red Leon, you do have to be lucky to strike powder, like most places I suppose.... we probably only get one or two days like that a month on average below 1800m

@kitenski, top of Mont Chery, front right? And what year....great pic
snow report
@polo, indeed, good spot Smile 16-19th December 2005

https://greghilton.co.uk/oldsite/albums/morzine06/
snow report
Dunno, until 3/12/21, after first 4 days in Tignes, which is now booked up. Not done early season before, so here's hoping. Plenty of very enjoyable days at Les Gets though, Jan & Feb, it's a great place. Nice long blues from Ranfoilly, as above post, and good across at Morzine (Chamossiere) for more difficult stuff, if that's your thing.Comments from mjit above sum it up well enough.
snow report
@paddyhambo, there’s a new blue in Les Gets (Cyclamen) which you get from the top of Violette, which I think is probably the longest blue in Les Gets now. Goes almost all the way to the front de neige.

The only downside to it is it joins on to Bluet. That aside it’s in my top 5 runs in Les Gets.
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, you seem to know the area well....Gentiane is still the longest blue at 4.5km, while Cyclamen plus Bluet is about 3.9km.
I have mixed feelings on Cyclamen, the entrance to that area off Gentiane (top of Nauchet area) was one of my go-to untracked runs, even in busy periods hardly anyone would take that left turn, as it was bumpy looking offpiste with trees leading down to Violette piste. Even with the new piste running thru it's still a very quiet run, and thankfully the off-piste to the right side still doesn't get tracked out quickly despite being in the centre of the resort.

The other problems with the new run are it gets flat where you cross Violette and further along with the next wallking path....so you need to keep speed up on a board to cross them, but at the same time it's dangerous as you have to slow down for skiers / walkers coming from the right. Second problem is lower Bluet doesn't hold it's snow so well amongst the dense trees....

It's definitely a nice new run though and opens up a new area that's very central....probably hasn't been open long enough to get busy, or people understandly prefer the slighlty steeper route down Chavannes / Gentiane
latest report
@polo, Yeah, I've been every year for about the last 7 or 8 years. Sometimes twice.

Yeah, the bits where you cross are a major downside. I was looking at a video I took last year and my youngest was close to a collision with someone coming down one of the runs it crosses.

It's definitely still quiet. A couple of times I've been on it, I've been the only person on the slope.

Yeah, Gentiane still the longest, but that bit under the cafes at the bottom of the white cross is horrible later in the afternoon as all the learners have scraped all the snow off and left lumps everywhere. I normally just head down Orchis instead to avoid it, which shortens the run overall.
snow conditions
Is this a serious question?
latest report
WhiteMan wrote:
Cant Decide Between Les Gets and Tignes ... I Love Long Slopes. Help Urgently ! Please Explain Why u Prefer Tignes or Les Gets ! Thank You.

Back to the question, as always, it depends but I would chose Tignes every time, it is one of my favourite resorts. But for me it is primarily about the snow quality and I do like to travel around a ski area.

I’ve only been to Morzine (but from there have ridden to les gets) twice. Both times is has rained on me (end Jan and start March),and I find that travel between areas is more difficult. I guess the plus for Les Gets is a nicer looking village and if you do happen to get good fresh snow it is less likely to get tracked out as quickly.
snow report
WhiteMan wrote:
I Love Long Slopes.

You've answered your own question. Tignes.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 4-10-21 14:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
if there's snow in Tignes I'm generally expecting there to be snow in Morzine...

Erm, why? They're miles away from each other, both geographically and in altitude. There is snow in Tignes right now, and I'm skiing there when the glacier opens in 2 weeks. How's the Morzine early season skiing looking?
snow report
Dr John wrote:
Mjit wrote:
if there's snow in Tignes I'm generally expecting there to be snow in Morzine...

Erm, why? They're miles away from each other, both geographically and in altitude. There is snow in Tignes right now, and I'm skiing there when the glacier opens in 2 weeks. How's the Morzine early season skiing looking?

I'm clearly not talking about glacier skiing just the fact that if winter comes hard and fast to the western alps all of the western alps are likely to get their share of it. Likewise if winter starts warm and slow while Tignes may have some snow/be able to make snow that Les Gets might not, it's hardly going to be grass in Les Gets but 1m of fresh snow falling every night in Tignes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Northern lattitude comes in handy, both for temp and prevailing weather systems in my view. It doesn’t make up for a km plus of altitude further south, but we did manage a nice slide here to 1500m last September.

Hopefully not long now before we catch another useful blast, but most years November has been the earliest.
latest report
WhiteMan wrote:

Bit of a silly question really, they are so completely different that comparisons are irrelevant. The only correct answer is both. They each satisfy different needs.

Numerous threads on the advantages/disadvantages of both on Snowheads. Work out what you need from a resort and choose accordingly.

Tignes works best for me early season on the PSB.
Les Gets works best for me and my family in Jan and Mar.

There is no one right answer.
snow conditions
Tignes
ski holidays
I reckon WhiteMan has long since left the building . . .
snow conditions
Depends if you like rain or ugly buildings
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
Mjit wrote:

Actually, Mt Chery has had its first dusting, so it’s looking good!
snow conditions
If your priority is skiing: Tignes, Tignes, Tignes! I've skied Les Gets 2x but a decade apart & both times said 'never going back'..
snow conditions
@WhiteMan, has now started a new thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156531#4832986

So I think he might have changed his mind on either Les Gets or Tignes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy