Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Broken ankle and getting back into skiing

Poster: A snowHead
@Scarlet,

Suspect the medical centre thought they could just squeeze the bone parts together under the gips and it would slot into place.

This time I was sure to see the x-rays and it was clearly out of line.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DB, ooh yes, I see your problem. Have you got to sit around till Monday, or is someone working tomorrow? Good luck with the op, and if you’re allowed any visitors, make sure they bring food Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I‘ve been waiting approx 6 hrs to be operated on. Some poor soul needed an emergency operation before me so took the slot I thought I was going to have. Suspect I will be awoken in the middle of the night to go under the knife. One visitor is allowed per week. I haven‘t eaten for 26 hours, could murder a bacon butty.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DB, jeez, that’s rough. They must be expecting to see you pretty soon though, or they’d have brought you some food. But do grab the nurses for updates when they some around, sometimes you need to be persistent.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nurse said they would operate through the night. A few minutes later they said nothing would happen tonight so brought me some „food“.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DB, sorry to hear your set back. My sympathy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DB, yes, very sorry to hear that. My son was operated on in Innsbruck for his smashed ankle. The surgery was evidently very well done but he did say that the food was absolutely shocking. And he's not fussy. Hope they sort you out soon.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@abc & @pam w thx.

It‘s all a bit confusing with the insurance. Next time I will get my Alpenverein insurance to get me to a proper hospital then all costs are covered.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All done.

One ligament needed to be sewn together too.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gosh, that was quick. Well, from your last message last night it was quick. Best of luck for a swift recovery.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
I‘m 53 but healthy and fit (for my age).
How long does it take to get the ankle going again after the cast is off? Just thinking how realistic the ski touring trip at the end of April will be. Probably best I cancel and get on the bike at that time of year.

That's about what I thought. Take it easy with the recovery, no beasting it as many of the more elderly snowheads seem to do.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The injury looked similar to this.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, wishing you a swift and full recovery - dont subscribe to the 'no pain, no gain' mantra. Madeye-Smiley
That metalwork looks nice, be sure to request it when its out Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:

Yours too? Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
DB wrote:

Yours too? Shocked

Yes similar, enough speed, a 2m drop onto a flat landing with rocks. Surprised I didn’t break the tibia too. Haven’t looked at the skis yet but suspect it won‘t buff out.
snow conditions
@DB, yours don't look as bad.Smile

Anyway, glad to hear the surgery went well. Should be just the right time to get on the bike when it mends. Hill walking should be another activity that's good for it.
latest report
abc wrote:
@DB, yours don't look as bad.Smile

The first x-ray I posted with a 2mm gap is from after they pushed the bone back together and put the first cast on it. On the paperwork it says the gap was originally 1cm post accident on the first X-ray, which was enough to tear the ligament apart. Yes will start looking at those fancy cycle trainers so I can start training my legs once the cast is off (in circa 4 weeks).
ski holidays
@DB, whaaaat?! 1cm dislocation and they didn’t send you straight to the operating theatre? I don’t think that would happen in Innsbruck. I only got away without surgery because mine was perfectly aligned and not moving at all. Do you have to stay at the hospital, or are they letting you out so you can get fed properly? Laughing
snow report
@Scarlet,
Yep the doctor at Tulln hospital (where I am at the moment) said something like „1cm!!!!!? hat er ein Vogel im Kopf?“. I’m going to try and get a copy of the original x-rays to see if the second X-ray is inline. A good friend is bringing me additional food supplies tomorrow.
Hopefully I can go home on Monday.
ski holidays
So two weeks today I should finally be free of the cast.
To others who have been through a broken ankle -
What was it like from removal of the cast onwards?
Can I expect to walk OK? or with a limp?
Is it likely only a few 100m would be possible or would a casual 5km on the flats be OK?
Weather permitting (or if I get an indoor cycle training setup sorted out by then) is getting out on the bike a better option?
How often and long did you have physio?

Thanks for the replies in advance.
snow report
DB wrote:
So two weeks today I should finally be free of the cast.
To others who have been through a broken ankle -
What was it like from removal of the cast onwards?
Can I expect to walk OK? or with a limp?
Is it likely only a few 100m would be possible or would a casual 5km on the flats be OK?
Weather permitting (or if I get an indoor cycle training setup sorted out by then) is getting out on the bike a better option?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

I was a lot younger than you when I fractured my ankle. (isolated medial malleolus fracture) so a different fracture to yours.

1. cast removed, zero movement in ankle, a lot of physio
2. walk ok after while, probably about 6 months before I was doing any serious sport (skiing), I was cycling to the shops sooner but remember that it requires a flexible ankle
3. you'll have trouble walking for a while, can't see you running 5k on the flats for some time !
4. home trainer ok, can't see bike being an option initially
5. a second operation to remove the plates, further physio. I had a lot of ankle pain, even after the pins were removed and things were worse 2 years out. I then had further treatment which fixed things.

Ankles are complicated

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 11-02-22 13:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@DB, Are you on a lightweight cast now then?

When it comes off, first you'll want a bath to remove all the manky dry skin that immediately falls off Laughing Get some salt scrub exfoliator or similar.

Your foot has been fixed in position for weeks, so you won't have full range of movement, but this is more at the extreme ends e.g. you probably won't be able to kneel on the floor because your foot won't extend enough. Should be fine for normal walking, although you may have some pain so that may limit your distance for a few weeks. Expect to start slowly and gently, as you've been immobile and will have lost a bit of muscle and fitness. Indoor cycling should be fine too, but get a balance board or something that can help you work your ankle. Outdoor cycling probably depends on what you're doing – again, there may be too much pain for a few weeks to risk an impact, but talk to your physio about it.

Get booked in for physio ASAP – mine was 10 weeks.
snow conditions
5k??? Shocked

You risk "compensation injury" to your knee and hip!

davidof wrote:
things were worse 2 years out. I then had further treatment which fixed things.

Ankles are complicated

Was it something that got missed in the initial diagnose? Or more related to the operation?
ski holidays
DB wrote:

Physio should start ASAP, and as often as practical (2-3/week). How long it last depends on your progress.

Do the exercise prescribed by your physio. Do them as frequently as you have time (and your ankle's tolerant).

Physio is THE thing that will determine how quickly and how well you recover. (have you been so lucky to have never had other injuries before? It's the same deal..)
latest report
abc wrote:

Was it something that got missed in the initial diagnose? Or more related to the operation?

I had constant pain following the accident. The hospital removed the pin about a year later (Grenoble CHU) but that didn't help and although I could ski okay (because the ankle is held in a boot) walking was increasingly painful and I had constant "bruising" marks on the ankle. I then had further treatment - injections and physio - which treated this. It was probably a reaction to the original operation in the tissues surrounding the ankle.

All in all it was a long recovery, a couple of years but I was more or less mobile 4-6 weeks after having the cast off I would say. I broke the ankle in early June and skied again in January but could have skied earlier than that.
snow conditions
Just done 45min low intensity training on the cross trainer with the cast on. No pain whatsoever.

The break is on the fibia near the ankle and doesn’t extend to the ankle joint. (Unlike your injury davidoff)
latest report
davidof wrote:
3. you'll have trouble walking for a while, can't see you running 5k on the flats for some time !

I didn't say anything about running (meant walking). I certainly won't be running for a while.

Scarlet wrote:
@DB, Are you on a lightweight cast now then?

Yes have a lightweight cast.

Scarlet wrote:
as you've been immobile and will have lost a bit of muscle and fitness.

Tell me about it, jeans that were snug fitting are now flapping about and my body weight is around 3 kg lower than usual.

As I said earlier it's not really a break of the ankle but just the tibia bone so the break doesn't go through to the ankle joint which I think makes it easier for the recovery.

Have a wooden ski balance board and a BOSU so will do balance exerises when the cast comes off. Must get a physio sorted out.

Still feeling good after the cross trainer yesterday although the 3 pints of Guiness last night probbaly don't help aid my recovery. Embarassed
snow conditions
DB,
Quote:

the 3 pints of Guiness last night probbaly don't help aid my recovery.

Liquid food, you'll be fine, maybe not on the balance board though Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After almost 2 years I decided to get the screws and plate removed from my ankle as they were giving me problems during ski touring.

Anyone know how long 3.5 mm screw holes take to heal or when I can expect to be weight bearing again?

http://youtube.com/v/u41UGZ5JKkU

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 29-10-23 11:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
A few days
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy