Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
@swskier, Baita Curona
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mine -- Baita Curona at the start of the La Longia run and Mastle Hutte on the Seceda - but, yet to find a bad one!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
swskier wrote:
Any recommendations on refugios in the Seceda area above Santa Cristina?

We like the Troier Hutte, think I spelled it correctly. It's skiers left from the top of Seceda, but you have to take a separate piste to get there. The views are astounding. The food is very good, although somewhat straightforward. But the combination of being a little bit off the pistes and the views is great.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HutToHut wrote:
@swskier, Baita Curona

With the sun out, Curona is paradise. We'll be there on Sunday. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pasigal, @albob, thank you.

Think we might risk it. I read that the highest skiing is Arabba but a nicer (more evening life) is Selva or Ortisei. Is is feasible to ski to the Arabba/Marmaloda side from Selva? Or is this a real pain. All skiers can ski reasonably well despite 2 kids in group.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Matrix wrote:
@Pasigal, @albob, thank you.

Think we might risk it. I read that the highest skiing is Arabba but a nicer (more evening life) is Selva or Ortisei. Is is feasible to ski to the Arabba/Marmaloda side from Selva? Or is this a real pain. All skiers can ski reasonably well despite 2 kids in group.

Certainly possible but time consuming. Arabba is 180 degrees from Selva on the Sella Ronda...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Matrix, Arabba yes (as it is on the Ronda) - I have done Selva - Marmolada but it seemed 'long winded' (something to do once and then on a 'blue sky' day) ;
nice views, but I didn't rate the ski down..

Just a personal view of course..

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 21-01-22 15:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would Corvava be a better place to access both areas including the non sella offshoots at both areas?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Matrix, I have always thought Corvara was the best placed resort for the whole area : It tends to be more expensive though.
Having said that, I also think Arabba would be best for April (north facing slopes, a bit higher), not much going on in the village tho'....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pasigal, in the sector above Canazei (and only there) there are constant announcements on all the lift tannoys saying that an FP200 mask is mandatory on all lifts and while skiing. Not seen it enforced for skiing, but have seen close to 100% compliance on all lifts, even open chairs. Some mountain restaurants ask for green pass to sit inside, some even require it to get to the toilets. Others don’t seem to ask. Pretty cold today so keeping the face mask on while skiing wasn’t a problem.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can anyone tell me if the trail from Lagazoi down to Cinque Torre is open?...and the super 8 loop to get back? Thanks Eh oh!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shiva_71 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the trail from Lagazoi down to Cinque Torre is open?...and the super 8 loop to get back? Thanks Eh oh!

We went there on Tuesday and the red run from the top of the Lagazuoi cable car was closed. Can’t have been from lack of snow, so maybe they were working on it. However you can just walk across the road from the car park and pick up a blue run that takes you to the chair at Col Galina. The whole of the Cinque Torri area was open and in great condition.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all for the restaurant advice. We ended up in Troier and had a lovely lunch. Was great to get inside, as it was pretty chilly with the wind!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s the start of week nine in the Dolomites tomorrow. Minus 16c on the tops this morning and Bergfex is forecasting high winds tomorrow.
Doesn’t look like any of the snow just to the north in Austria will reach the Dolomites. So more dry cool and sunny weather until at least the end of January.
Pretty much a perfect first third of the season with everything open and typically sunny skiing in the mountains. They must be relieved with how well things are going so far this season.

https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c15141/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shiva_71 wrote:

Reported closed a couple of days ago -- today it is shown as Open

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Ski-areas/Cortina-d-Ampezzo/Ski-map
ski holidays
@albob, @CP, cheers! Love my wee trip to CT. So quiet and its really beautiful around there. I actually enjoy it more than the Hidden Valley which in all honesty i find a bit underwhelming...!
ski holidays
Heading for the Ski Dolomiti next week.
Staying at Camoitello near the Col Rodeo gondola

We've done Marmoladada, hidden valley & the Sella Ronda in both directions a no. of times, plus the James Bond long red run, but I noticed recently there's another circuit we'd not come across b4, the Grande Guerre, which is quite a bit longer than the Sella circuit

I can't find much info on it other tha it's aboout 85km, including lifts/buses, one site suggests it's 7 - 8 hours, which i think could be pushing it a bit given lift opening/closing times & short days this time of year, but we ski pretty quick & don't do long stops

Has anyone done it or got a link to a good site where it gives you a proper itinerary re what lifts/runs/buses etc you need as don't want to attempt it & waste loads of time getting lost halfway round & be unable to get back

Any info welcome
latest report
I have never done it, sounds like a very long day...

https://www.val-gardena.com/en/region/tours/detail/ski-circuit-grande-guerra-dolomites/
latest report
@Russbost, its a (public) bus tour with the occasional stop for a bit of skiing
snow report
@Russbost, I've done it a number of times from Alleghe and Arabba, you can go clockwise or anti-clockwise. Clockwise can include a descent of the Marmolada, Anti-clockwise is the Hidden Valley. I've always gone anti- as I prefer the Hidden Valley to the Marmolada. Yes there are two 25min bus rides that you need to pay for, but plenty of skiing in between.

It can be done in a day skiing moderately with a couple of breaks, but your issue might be that you aren't staying directly on the circuit, so you would have to factor in whether you would have time to get to Arabba and back. Maybe get the bus along to Alba and catch the first Funifor in the morning. I suspect you will have to go pretty quick to get back before lifts close, particularly if you've had to wait for buses and lift queues.

https://www.altabadia.org/media/erster-weltkrieg-grande-guerra.pdf
snow report
The buses are Malga Ciapela to Alleghe and Pescul to Fedare. You should be able to find timetables online. They run every 30 mins with a 20-25 min journey time. You buy the tickets to Alleghe at the gift shop in Malga Ciapela. The other bus you pay the driver. Or at least that was the arrangement last time I went.
snow conditions
Bus tour is a bit of an unfair description of the Grande Guerra tour. There are only 2 buses, which are not too long. Check the timetables in advance - there are a few gaps in timings, so worth being at the stop at the right time. I have done it a couple of times from Selva - a long but fun day, giving a chance to ski in areas away from the Sella Ronda (Alleghe/Civetta area is nice). It is possible if queues are short to get a run down Marmolada in as part of the route, if you are fast - even managed a spot of lunch at Scottonis last time we did it.

The Sottoguda Gorge is a fun extra bit that shortens the bus between Malga Ciapela and Alleghe (catch bus at Sottoguda - although if snow is poor it is a bit of a walk through Sottoguda village). Does anyone know if the gorge has now reopened for skiing after the storm damage a couple of years back?

Has anyone tried the new link from Cinque Torri to Cortina yet?
snow report
@rg1, so on average 1.5 hours on or waiting for busses in the middle of a ski day...
snow conditions
rg1 wrote:

The Sottoguda Gorge is a fun extra bit that shortens the bus between Malga Ciapela and Alleghe (catch bus at Sottoguda - although if snow is poor it is a bit of a walk through Sottoguda village). Does anyone know if the gorge has now reopened for skiing after the storm damage a couple of years back?

I'm pretty certain it's still closed. Sad What with Covid I guess (understandably) repairing the damage has not been a priority.
latest report
according to the website the gorge will still closed throughout 2022

to get the bus do you just walk down the road from the Marmolada cable car ?
snow report
Not sure how 2 buses of 20-25 mins comes to 1.5 hours, nor really why a bus is any worse than a long gondola (both buses go through fantastic scenery) - in fact I think buses are a nicer way to travel than a crowded cable car. But it is not compulsory to do the tour if you have a thing about buses - each to their own. Personally, I have enjoyed it, but it is a shame the gorge is still closed.

To find the bus stop at Malga Ciapela, carry on past the cable car station, keep right, then past the hotel (on your left) through to the main road, where you should see the bus stop.
snow report
Bus details are here:

https://www.visitmarmolada.com/en/malga-ciapela-alleghe-skibus-service/
snow conditions
Noticed some lifts closed today due to high winds... Will they bring Snow !!???
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of which is val setus chair on the gardena pass but it has the curious comment (given its a key sella ronda lift) that its open on mondays, tuesday and thursdays... any one know whats going on?
snow conditions
@hobbiteater,
When we were there Christmas it was closed some days, but when it was they moved the fencing just above the lift barriers & if you kept a little speed you could ski across to the next chair no41 Cir without much difficulty, just watch out for crossing skiers on the right coming down from Dantercepies.
Don’t know why it was closed as it wasn’t windy.
ski holidays
"..if you kept a little speed you could ski across to the next chair.. " == this is what it was like in the 'old days' (before they improved the lifts) ; You could ski around to bottom station of Setus and head for the Cir chair. That has been discouraged for some years tho'
ski holidays
@albob,
This was being actively encouraged when we were there at Xmas as there was a large closed sign at the Setus lift on some days & the mesh fencing had been removed on those days enabling the ski over to Cir chairlift.
On the one day it was running the fence had been put back.
snow conditions
thanks for the replies, i wonder why they are only operating on certain days though? weird
latest report
I seem to recall someone telling me that lift is individually owned which is why it hasn’t been upgraded. That may have something to do with it but I may have misunderstood that Puzzled
snow conditions
@Peter S, Wouldn't be surprised...!
snow report
rg1 wrote:
Bus tour is a bit of an unfair description of the Grande Guerra tour. There are only 2 buses, which are not too long. Check the timetables in advance - there are a few gaps in timings, so worth being at the stop at the right time. I have done it a couple of times from Selva - a long but fun day, giving a chance to ski in areas away from the Sella Ronda (Alleghe/Civetta area is nice). It is possible if queues are short to get a run down Marmolada in as part of the route, if you are fast - even managed a spot of lunch at Scottonis last time we did it.

Has anyone tried the new link from Cinque Torri to Cortina yet?

It's a great route. I much prefer it clockwise, it seems to be quieter, maybe due to not incorporating the 'hidden valley'. The run down from Civetta to Alleghe is excellent, blasting down and then the lake comes into sight, proper 007 stuff. has to be one of my favorites in the Dollies. First time I did it I was little wary of how far I was from Selva. As you say, if you get your skates on early, only stop for the slamdunking of kleine weiss, there's plenty of time to do it, get a shot of the Marmolada and some lunch. I'm hoping to get back around the 5th of February.
ski holidays
Cortina looking fab on EuroSport just now Smile
latest report
Hi …heading to Val Gardena next Sat29th…can folks let me know if the place is busy or if there have been many reports of COVID in the area. We will all have the super green pass so not concerned from a medical,point of view but just the fact that we travel again 2 weeks after we come back and need to have a clear antigen or PCR. Are they packing them in to the cable cars or are they being sensible?
Can’t wait as conditions look great and it’s been too,long since I heard the squeak of snow under my skis
ski holidays
Holly101 wrote:
Are they packing them in to the cable cars or are they being sensible?

Well last week the cable car up and down from Campitello was pretty jam packed most trips. Most people are sporting FFP2 masks or something that looks like one. Of note we saw at least 3 ski instructors with their masks down below their chins while gassing to their clients on the cable cars. All gondolas had signage to encourage 80% occupancy and those coming out of towns had someone checking that masks were being worn before getting on the lift. Chairlift behaviour and checking was very random, but it was very quiet with little to no queues encountered.

Both my Son and I have had negative LFT checks after returning home.

Finally we did not have our Super Green Pass checked at any mountain restaurant all week and we ate inside most lunchtimes.
snow report
@Holly101, agreed with @CP, re the Campitello cable car. Found similar on the cable car from Canazei down to Alba. Likewise the cable car in Ortisei.

What I did see at every cable car was the lifties checking for FFP2 masks, and anyone that didn't have one on, was told to put them on. Similarly on gondolas too. With gondolas, tended to find they were around 50% full, similarly for chairlifts.

We did have our green pass checked in the restaurant we ate in at San Pellegrino, but that was pretty much it on the mountains.

In the town of Pozza, most bars did check. I assume that as you need the green pass to even get on a lift, that's why there's not much checking in the mountain restaurants.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy