Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
[quote="albob"]
AL9000 wrote:
Garfield wrote:
albob wrote:
I wondered about that - scanning my QR code shows my vac status and name ; But what is stopping me from using someone else's code ??
I intend to carry some form of photo ID (driving licence?)

You are supposed to carry photo id in Italy…

Garfield is correct (I wasn't aware of the requirement ..)

"..By law you must be able to show some form of identification at all times. In most cases a photocopy of the data page of your passport should suffice, but in this case you’re advised to also carry a second form of photo ID. The police will normally ask for your full passport if you are stopped while driving..."

=====
I suspect having photo ID with you at all times is probably EU wide..

I was stopped while riding a bike up Passo di Gavia. Goodness knows why, I'm not that scary in Lycra. The police were incredulous that I didn't have ID on me. I got a five minute lecture in broken English.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I suspect having photo ID with you at all times is probably EU wide

No. Each country, or even state/land within a country does its own thing.
As an example, I think Austria you can leave ID in hotel, so long as you remain within the same Land and don't cross a border, and can rely on a "producer". But ski over the "border" from Tirol to Salzburgerland and you need to carry ID.

At least in most of EU, the ID is credit card sized and waterproof, so I more often than not have it with me. Next to the health insurance/EHIC card Smile
The pharmacies here in Germany are even doing the EU digital vax QR thingy on a credit card now too. No need to get phone out and unlock it then swipey swipey to open the app. Just flash card.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mountain restaurants - Cash or Card?
My wife & I stopping in Corvara start of Feb........obviously in the last 2 years we are paying by card almost all the time......is this the same in Italy? In the mountains?

ALSO ..........a few Snowheads have listed their favourite Sella Ronda ski runs..........would anyone like to try & provide a definitive list? Obviously we hope (expect) to do the SR in both directions.....but would welcome any other trips out!

Many Thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jellylegs,
Quote:

I was stopped while riding a bike up Passo di Gavia. Goodness knows why, I'm not that scary in Lycra. The police were incredulous that I didn't have ID on me. I got a five minute lecture in broken English.

USA, right to carry a gun; Germany, right to drive as fast as you want; UK, right to not carry ID
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Stuartb,

the favourite Sella Ronda runs are the ones with your favourite Refugio on....

yes most take card, some folding is good to have in case they dont.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stuartb wrote:
My wife & I stopping in Corvara start of Feb

Welcome to snowHead

In case you've not spotted it, there will be 150+ Snowheads in the Sella Ronda at the start of Feb. The main event is https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154882 - staying in Arabba 29th Jan - 5th Feb. There's also a smaller group https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155305 for the following week. If you fancy meeting up with people to ski click the "I'm interested" button at the top of the thread then you'll get an option to declare "I'll be in the neighbourhood". Then keep an eye on or post in the relevant bash thread.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or just look out for anybody wearing a bright orange snood with snowHead logo., and just say hello. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thelem wrote:
Stuartb wrote:
My wife & I stopping in Corvara start of Feb

The main event is https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154882 - staying in Arabba 29th Jan - 5th Feb. There's also a smaller group https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155305 for the following week.

I hope that’s the other way around or there will be a lot people arriving a week early. snowHead

Edit: my mistake, the Aftermath is after the main event (BB) However, there is the Pre BB the week before the BB.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To clarify:

Pre Birthday Bash - 22 to 29 Jan
Birthday Bash - 29 Jan to 5 Feb
Aftermath - 5 Feb to 12 Feb (only open to those attending the Birthday Bash)

I hope that makes sense. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NeddySkiGoon wrote:

Aftermath - 5 Feb to 12 Feb (only open to those attending the Birthday Bash)
:

Not any more - opened to all-comers, I believe
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Red Leon, seems I’m behind the times. Embarassed snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Or just look out for anybody wearing a bright orange snood with snowHead logo., and just say hello.

Indeed, although the snoods may be a different colour (mine is royal blue, I think they change each bash).

Quote:
I hope that’s the other way around or there will be a lot people arriving a week early. snowHead

Edit: my mistake, the Aftermath is after the main event (BB) However, there is the Pre BB the week before the BB.

Indeed. I didn't bother mentioning the PreBB week because @Stuartb said early Feb. I think there might even be a few people doing four weeks!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thelem, mea culpa, I didn’t read the original post correctly. Embarassed snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NeddySkiGoon, mea culpa, is that the village at the bottom of the Marmolada lift? Puzzled Confused wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Could anyone update ma on the current snow conditions there please? Flying out next week
ski holidays
@roo2005, I just look at the webcams for the brown bits ! (personal observation is that they could do with some snow..)

https://www.valgardena.it/en/webcams/

Having said that - I went a couple of years ago when all the hillsides were brown with white strips of white running down them !!.
The Skiing was just fine ; the Dolomites have massive snowmaking capacity..
snow report
albob wrote:
Having said that - I went a couple of years ago when all the hillsides were brown with white strips of white running down them !!.
The Skiing was just fine ; the Dolomites have massive snowmaking capacity..

^ This
snow conditions
roo2005 wrote:
Could anyone update ma on the current snow conditions there please? Flying out next week

just had our first day, we are based in Campitello in the Val diFassa, first time based here but have been a regular visitor to the Dolomites for over 20 years.

We roughly did a Sella Ronda Orange route with a detour off down the Saslong and another down to the Crep de Munt Restaurant at Corvara for lunch.

It was pretty warm for January and some sunny exposed slopes were getting a bit heavy in the afternoon. But no rocks, stones or exposed mud/cow pats encountered.

So conditions are great and it’s sunny
ski holidays
@CP, Always worth doing that little detour. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

One of my favourite runs.
latest report
Have been here since Saturday.

Journey over seemed to just be delays the entire way:
Huge queue at the TUI/Crystal check in at Manchester Airport
Flight delayed 45 minutes due to bags taking ages to be loaded.
Wait at Verona on the plane as a number of planes landed at similar times
Long queue at passport control
Long wait for skis in the airport

BUT

We got to Pozza di Fassa in time to ski for just under 1.5 hours on Saturday afternoon.

Yesterday, we skied the Passo San Pellegrino area which I've not skied previously. Lovely area, beautiful weather, would recommend. Just be careful with bus times back as we missed the last bus back to Pozza and had to get a taxi from Moena which only being 10 minutes away wasn't the end of the world, but was quite pricey at €25!

Sella Ronda anti clockwise for us today starting at Campitello.
snow conditions
Sunny and dry for the foreseeable future Cool
snow conditions
No snow at all?
snow conditions
@AL9000, https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/PozzaDiFassa/6day/top

That site suggesting some possible showers Thursday afternoon.

Friday looking baltic, particularly with the wind chill.
latest report
@swskier, we were probably on the same transfer coach as you. We got into Campitello about 2:30.

We did a green anti-clockwise route sort of today, threw in an offshoot to Badia and had a look at the new lift at La Crusc, it seemed much busier there than we have seen before. Apart from that everywhere else was quiet, no queues at all.
snow conditions
Slopes are fine in fact better than most places with this amount of sun.

Little bit of chop later on but really nothing to worry about.

Question for Corvara folks…is it possible to get back to Corvara centre from the bowl area with the snow parks etc, by any other route than blue 6/blue 8 for early intermediate. My OH has done amazing first ski holiday but confidence was shattered on blue 8 today in the middle section where it’s steep narrow and packed with people at 2.30pm?
snow report
0n piste conditions great
Bitter wind in places today but it is the Alps and it's January Cool
Great first two days and worth all the hoops that have had to be jumped through to get here
snow conditions
@CP, small world!

We also did the green anti-clockwise route starting at Campitello and but had a detour at Colfosco up the Edelweiss/stella alpina area.

Lovely day, and managed to get back round to Canazei again, down to Alba and up and over to Pozza.
latest report
@neilkav, Blue 5 from braia fraida mid station via piz arlara. Its not obvious on the piste map and may be marked as red but its better than 6.

Or vizza, costoratta lifts and down blue boe, which is just brilliant, then the lower boe red which is OK mostly apart from a small steepish traverse bit but it will be quieter (terms and conditions apply)

The piste map is hopeless, check out openskimap.org
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hobbiteater wrote:
@neilkav, Blue 5 from braia fraida mid station via piz arlara. Its not obvious on the piste map and may be marked as red but its better than 6.

Or vizza, costoratta lifts and down blue boe, which is just brilliant, then the lower boe red which is OK mostly apart from a small steepish traverse bit but it will be quieter (terms and conditions apply)

The piste map is hopeless, check out openskimap.org

Brilliant thank you!
ski holidays
hobbiteater wrote "Blue 5 from braia fraida mid station via piz arlara. Its not obvious on the piste map and may be marked as red but its better than 6."

This (or 4 1/2) to the bottom of the Arlara lift, around the bottom station and head for Corvara
snow conditions
We’ve been in Selva since Saturday and the snow has been consistently excellent. Dry sunny weather but mostly sub-zero on the mountain so snow is staying good. Really quiet here, not really had any lift queues at all. Skiing with an FFP2 mask on is a bit odd but worth it to be here. Mask on while skiing is apparently the law but not enforced. Mask on for chairlifts, gondolas and cable cars is enforced, but half the time we’re getting lifts to ourselves so can just take the masks off again as soon as we’re out the station.
ski holidays
We went to the hidden valley and did a couple of loops around cinque Torri today. It’s a long way from Campitello but worth the effort. About 15 minute queue at Armentarolla for a taxi, but no queue at the cable car but the red link to cinque Torri was shut! So we crossed the road and picked up the blue to get into the cinque Torri area. Excellent snow and very quiet, the new link lift from Cortina did not seem to have dumped lots if people in the area. We were a tad short of time so skipped lunch and headed back the way we got there, via Arabba,and just made the chair out of the Col Rodello by 3 minutes to get the cable car back down to Campitello. Great day out, has to be said snowHead
latest report
Valkyrie wrote:
We’ve been in Selva since Saturday and the snow has been consistently excellent. Dry sunny weather but mostly sub-zero on the mountain so snow is staying good. Really quiet here, not really had any lift queues at all. Skiing with an FFP2 mask on is a bit odd but worth it to be here. Mask on while skiing is apparently the law but not enforced. Mask on for chairlifts, gondolas and cable cars is enforced, but half the time we’re getting lifts to ourselves so can just take the masks off again as soon as we’re out the station.

I wasn't totally certain reading the Superski web site: So you need to ski WITH the mask on, or just for enclosed chairlifts, gondolas and cable cars? This is what the website says: From 10 January 2022, access to all ski lifts (both open and with closed vehicles), from 12 years of age onwards, will be allowed only to vaccinated or Covid-19 recovered persons. Additionally, on cable cars, gondolas and chairlifts with canopy the FFP2 mask is mandatory from the age of 6 and the capacity will be reduced to 80 %.

It doesn't say that you need to ski with a mask on, or even on a chairlift without a canopy.
snow report
Has anyone skied Selva or Arabba in the first week of April? I would like to take a few days around the SR as a tag-on to my next Austria trip. Obviously we don’t have a crystal ball but are piste conditions still ok at this time?
ski holidays
Hmm -- Not April but second week in March and it was slush city on the lower slopes (bought a pair of Gaiters to keep water out of boots !!)
snow report
Matrix wrote:
Has anyone skied Selva or Arabba in the first week of April? I would like to take a few days around the SR as a tag-on to my next Austria trip. Obviously we don’t have a crystal ball but are piste conditions still ok at this time?

It's less snowsure than, say, a high-altitude French station. I, too, have been there in mid-March and it was definitely slushy below 1800 meters, but then again, there have been a number of big March snowstorms in the last decade. I think you'd be OK for a few days. I do note that the stations tend to close by mid-April rather than late April like many other places, so that's probably a warning sign. This year Val Gardena is set to close on April 10.
latest report
Pasigal wrote:
Valkyrie wrote:

I wasn't totally certain reading the Superski web site: So you need to ski WITH the mask on, or just for enclosed chairlifts, gondolas and cable cars? This is what the website says: From 10 January 2022, access to all ski lifts (both open and with closed vehicles), from 12 years of age onwards, will be allowed only to vaccinated or Covid-19 recovered persons. Additionally, on cable cars, gondolas and chairlifts with canopy the FFP2 mask is mandatory from the age of 6 and the capacity will be reduced to 80 %.

It doesn't say that you need to ski with a mask on, or even on a chairlift without a canopy.

I don't know about skiing with the mask on for sure, but I definitely haven't been at all, except in between lifts that are nearby each other, as it saves the faff of taking it off and putting it back on again.
snow report
Quick note on green pass etc.

Once we'd uploaded it in to the Dolomiti Superski app on the first day, there's no need to re-upload everyday, just go in to the app re-authorise and it's done. Literally a 10 second job.

We haven't had our pass checked much at all, particularly up the mountain, because I presume they know you had it to get up the lift anyway?

A few places in towns, but not many.
snow conditions
Any recommendations on refugios in the Seceda area above Santa Cristina?
snow conditions
swskier wrote:
Any recommendations on refugios in the Seceda area above Santa Cristina?

There’s one part way down La Longia which always gets a glowing recommendation. Huts or sheds or similar in the garden with a fire pit and fab steaks, I hear but I’ve never had time to stop rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy