Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
richb67 wrote:
@Harrow lady, nice to have a skiing quetsion

its a bit convoluted first time but straightforward, from the Rifugio and car park at bai des Dones it's up lifts 4 then 5, over the top, part down run 90 (was a bit gnarly both times we did it), then off on the right to take lift 8 back over (very spectacular), down piste 92 (more of a track), and up lift 3 then ski over to the car park and gondola. (I have vague recollection you might have to go to the bottom of lift 2 and then lift 3)

Of course…. How silly, for some reason I assumed piste 92 was going the other way, Thanks for you help,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brianatab wrote:
@Harrow lady, Allow yourself about 90 minutes to do the Cinque Tori circuit and the Hidden Valley. There can often be a long queue at the cable car.

I'm hoping to do the top half of Cortina on the BBash, maybe on transfer day.

The new lift from Cortina will take a lot of trade from the local taxi companies. I suspect (hope) that there will be some transport available from the top of the lift, up to the pass, which would allow more time in Cortina. Worth checking on the way down.

Thanks for the tip, I think from San Cassiano It will not take long to reach passo falzarego , defo something that I will do first thing in the morning, I am not a “fast” skier and want to take my time at laguzoi. Hope the alpacas are still there Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Harrow lady, If you can get a direct taxi, less than 30 minutes. If you need to get the lift and ski down to Armentarola, then add about 20 minutes. Just make sure you don't miss the right turn!

10 minutes to ski down to the new Gondola, which takes 15 minutes. You should easily be able to get into Cortina by 10.30.
That's about 1 hour quicker than from Arabba or Alleghe.

If staying in San Cassiano, and can get a taxi back from the gondola to the cable car, then you could conceivably stay in Cortina until about 3pm. Nice long day.

Just remember, when you ski the hidden valley, there is a longish flat run at the bottom. When you get to the frozen waterfall, keep as much speed as possible to avoid poling. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brianatab wrote:
@Harrow lady, Allow yourself about 90 minutes to do the Cinque Tori circuit and the Hidden Valley..

Remind me never to try to keep up with you Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Red Leon wrote:
brianatab wrote:
@Harrow lady, Allow yourself about 90 minutes to do the Cinque Tori circuit and the Hidden Valley..

Remind me never to try to keep up with you Shocked

Ok, that is probably pushing it, and maybe allow an extra hour if you want to take in the views. Very Happy

Just checked on my ski tracks from 2 years ago. 6 hours to do 2 loops of Cinque Tori, have lunch and return to Arabba

On transfer day, 4.5 hours from the bottom of Cinque Tori to Arabba, but that included a detour via Grand Riza and La Villa, and loping back on 2 or 3 more runs. Direct was probably 3 hours.

Cinque Tori takes approx 30-45 minutes, shortest route. Cable car and queue took about 30 minutes. Hidden valley another 45 minutes, including taxi back to Armentarola rather than wait for the horse tow, so saved a bit of time

Probably best to allow an extra hour for a more leisurely ski. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just checked and we did HV and horse tow in 45 mins from start to finish (that's elapsed time), we're not quick skiers but didn't stop for a coffee. The big unknown is the cable car queue, you could walk straight on but if you arrive 5 minutes after two coaches you might have to wait more than half an hour.

It took us roughly an hour from the bottom of cinque torri to Lagazoui cable car but that include a full run down piste 90 and chair lift back up so agree with .@brianatab, re timings in her second post
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last day of the mild air. Bergfex is suggesting 20cms of new snow at valley level tomorrow and much cooler air arriving behind that. It then looks dry and settled for a while which should be good for snow making if necessary. The new snow tomorrow will probably get scraped away quite quickly on the steeper slopes, but should look good on the webcams !

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c13333/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A question for the dolomites experts. I've not been since 2011, so need my memory refreshed.

Planning on a day out over to the hidden valley from Pozza di Fassa. Plan is:

Bus Pozza to Canazei to try get first lift up from Canazei.

Essentially follow the anti clockwise sella ronda route round to Passo Campolongo when we chuck a right up chair 31. Ski down the red run and take chair 28 and then the blue runs right down to Armentarola.

Presumably taxis/coaches still then running up to the cable car?

When we come back need to get up and over in to Corvara and then pretty much just take the clockwise sella ronda route back to Canazei, or time pending drop down on the lift to Alba and back up and over to Pozza in the Buffaure/Ciampac area.

On the way over is Armentarola sign posted? I'll have a map with me but nice to know ahead.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
swskier wrote:

On the way over is Armentarola sign posted? I'll have a map with me but nice to know ahead.

You have pretty much got the route there sorted. From the top of lift 28 (Masarei) take the blue 9A which connects with blue 11, its a short distance on the right onto blue 9 which was signposted for Armentarola last time we ventured that way. If you miss the right turn then you will end up at the Piz Sorega gondola in San Cassiano.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CP, thanks, from what I can tell, it's just stick right once we head down 9A then.

I'm pretty good with directions generally, so not particularly worried, just nice to do a bit of research beforehand.

Couple of other questions, is it cash for the taxi/bus up and also the horses at the bottom? Presumably they don't take card payments? Rough idea on costs?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@swskier, Keep to the right on the blue runs. I was on the left my first time and missed the turn. Had to do an extra loop via San Cassiano. Embarassed

Last time out, it was 6 euros for the taxi/bus up to the pass. I got a taxi back from the bottom of the hidden valley. Same price.
On previous trips, the horse tow was 5 Euros.

Would probably expect to pay 6-7 Euros for each this year. Always paid cash.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@brianatab, thank you. I'll be sure to carry some cash for that as I tend to just use card everywhere.

I remember it being a long day out previously, and looking at some photos we stopped for lunch at Rifugio Capanna Alpina, and by the team we were back towards Pozza, we were on one of the last lifts in the Buffaure area that allowed us to ski back down to the village.

Looking at the bus timetable, we can get round to Canazei for 8.41, presumably lifts open 8.30 or 9, so plenty of time to get round and back. Girlfriend is likely to be a bit slower than the mate I was with previously, so possibly a bus back to Pozza from Canazei.

Fingers crossed nothing changes to stop us going over the next 10 days!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, If you are pushed for time (in either direction), bear in mind the bus service serves Alba as well. Wouldn't swear to it, but suspect there would be less of a queue at Alba in the AM
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@albob, good point, could also stay on the bus right through to Alba, guess we can take a look at the lift queue as we pull in near to the Canazei lift.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:
@swskier, If you are pushed for time (in either direction), bear in mind the bus service serves Alba as well. Wouldn't swear to it, but suspect there would be less of a queue at Alba in the AM

that's a good idea and IIRC will also save you one run/lift/queue combo as you can drop straight down to the bottom of the Saas Bece chairlift.
ski holidays
Hopefully travelling to Selva Val Gardena on the 22nd Jan, but by car from the UK pending that we can get through the Eurotunnel and France . Very Happy
My 2 day PCR will hopefully be valid once arrival in Selva - Italy, I also need to book a PCR test for my onward journey a week later to Austria (pending any changes), does anyone know of a place or Apotheke in Sevla that I can get a PCR test done for 3 persons all fully vaccinated with boosters?

Had a look online but none of the Apotheke's have websites, the nearest I can see is Farmacia Apotheke in Selva, but not sure if they do testing.
Any help would be appreciated.
Note, I am driving, so journey from UK to Italy and then onwards to hotel in Austria is a requirement for PCR......thanks.
snow conditions
@swskier, On the return trip, the red run down from Boe to Campolongo can get a bit scraped and bumpy in places. Can be busy, and not pleasant on tired legs.

An alternative route is available over Alta Badia to Campolongo. Mostly nice cruising blues.

Take the Biok lift, red down to Pralongia 2, really nice cruising blue to visa lift, then short blue run down into Campolongo. Basically, the reverse of your outbound route.

I often add that onto the clockwise Sella Ronda trip.
snow report
@brianatab, thanks, followed that through on the piste map online, and makes sense. Will make for a nice route, especially as we'll do the other way on a different day when we do the Sella Ronda.

On that, any recommendations on preferences for clockwise or anti clockwise on the sella ronda route? Fairly sure I did clockwise previously as mate was a snowboarder, and I'd read that was the best route for snowboard. This time the GF and I will both be on skis.

Saw a video the other day from Ustaria Posta on YouTube of the Stella Alpina/ Edelweiss area above Colfosco, which looked lovely, so will try and get round to there one day or possibly detour up there on a Sella Ronda loop.

http://youtube.com/v/sxMcsC8Y49A

As you can tell, planning is in full flow, and excitement levels are rising by the hour! Laughing
snow report
Is there anyone going after 10th January who could take a sample recovery letter to a ski pass office and ask if it's acceptable for me? I can't get any responses out of the Dolomiti Superski people!!! I can buy you a drink???
ski holidays
@Petra cant help with that but have you tried the specific tourist office? The alta badia ones answered my query on the points pass very rapidly. https://www.altabadia.org/en/alta-badia-tourist-offices.html
ski holidays
I haven’t but I will - thank you!!!
snow conditions
Simon94 wrote:
Hopefully travelling to Selva Val Gardena on the 22nd Jan, but by car from the UK pending that we can get through the Eurotunnel and France . Very Happy
My 2 day PCR will hopefully be valid once arrival in Selva - Italy, I also need to book a PCR test for my onward journey a week later to Austria (pending any changes), does anyone know of a place or Apotheke in Sevla that I can get a PCR test done for 3 persons all fully vaccinated with boosters?

Had a look online but none of the Apotheke's have websites, the nearest I can see is Farmacia Apotheke in Selva, but not sure if they do testing.
Any help would be appreciated.
Note, I am driving, so journey from UK to Italy and then onwards to hotel in Austria is a requirement for PCR......thanks.

See below:
Pharmacy Dolomiti – Selva Val Gardena - +39 0471 795142 (only on request) -
Pharmacy Sella – Ortisei – +39 0471 796125 (Registration required)
Dolomiti Sportclinic* – Ortisei - +39 0471 086000 (Registration required)

In Italian a COVID test is called Tampone, pcr= moleculare.
snow report
@Simon94, When we were there 11/12/2021 people had to book as there were limited places and opening times, and the tests were being run from the Oswald hotel at the bottom of town, not sure of prices, but they booked online.
snow report
What and where is this hidden valley? I presume its not an offical run hence the name?
ski holidays
Brits call it the Hidden Valley but it’s the run off Mt Lagazuoi
https://lagazuoi.it/EN/Experience-Winter-page31-The-Lagazuoi-ski-slope
snow report
Bartezki wrote:
@Simon94, When we were there 11/12/2021 people had to book as there were limited places and opening times, and the tests were being run from the Oswald hotel at the bottom of town, not sure of prices, but they booked online.

Im staying here, its meant to be quite a nice hotel, not sure how I feel about people attending with covid symptoms
ski holidays
I always assumed it was so called because, apart from the top 100m, you can't see any of it from any other run. Very Happy

It's the only run down the valley. No other ski area is visible along the run.
snow report
@Sarny, a video of the run from the owner of the Ustaria Posta hotel in Alta Badia

http://youtube.com/v/Wpf8xXeItNA&t=1413s
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bartezki wrote:

Thanks, as there are so many runs, what town is it near, im staying in Selva soon, so probably the wrong side of the ski area?
snow report
It took me ages to get the hole hidden valley thing Very Happy

it's on the left edge of the Alta Badia piste map, run 1
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/Scopri/Zone-sciistiche/Alta-Badia/Cartina-sciistica

np getting there from Selva but it could probably be a full day trip...

fyi, this describes it
https://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/italian-alps/lagazuoi-circuit.html

If you're in Selva has anyone mentioned the scenic run from Seceda to Ortisei ? one of my faves, very long and scenic with frozen waterfall
snow conditions
Sarny wrote:
Bartezki wrote:

Thanks, as there are so many runs, what town is it near, im staying in Selva soon, so probably the wrong side of the ski area?

Do the world war 1 tour and you'll get it towards the end of the day. Or blast over to armentarola, go up the cable car, come down the red back to the bottom of the cable car, go back up and then go down the hidden valley.
latest report
Sarny wrote:
Bartezki wrote:

Just checked the data on the Ski Tracks ap for when my Son and I last did the Hidden Valley/Cinque Torri from Selva. We took the first lift at 08:45 and finished back in Selva at 16:15. We did a number of laps around the Cinque Torri area, its fantastic and not to be missed, had lunch at Rifugio Averau ( highly recommended too ) and then headed back.

Soon to be repeated but from Campitello in a couple of weeks time I hope snowHead
snow report
I don't see why Cinque Tori and the Hidden valley can't be done from Selva.

It would be a full day out, but well worth it. Maybe allow 30 minutes extra each way than from Arabba.

It might be worth taking a run to San Cassiano and back one day. If your timings allow you another 3 hours, you will have plenty of time to make the trip, with a stop for lunch somewhere. Very Happy

Another good full day out is Kronplatz. Ski over to the far side of La Villa. (bus stop is near the chair over the valley to Santa Croce), 30 minutes bus ride (every half hour) to Piccollino, and ski over.
A group of us did it a couple of years ago, and had a good 3 hours there.

The Church at Santa Croce is also well worth a visit, with a lovely run back down to the village. Very Happy
latest report
@Sarny, this map I think is slightly out of date, but it'll work anyway...

https://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/Italy/Sella-Ronda-Piste-Map-2019.pdf

If you look at the right hand side of the map just above the key, you'll notice a lift with a red run back to the lift and a single long red run going off away from the lift. That is the hidden valley. From Selva ski to Armentarola, from here taxis and busses run up to the lift. You then ski back down, and at the end there's a long flat bit where you can jump in a taxi, or get pulled along by a horse while holding a rope.

I haven't personally skied the Cinque Tori area, just did the hidden valley, as it's quite a trek from Pozza di Fassa, but that's up on the other side of the valley to the hidden valley lift.
ski holidays
The cold air has finally arrived with 20cms of new snow falling at valley level today. All the lifts and runs are open and the forecast is for a return to the sun but staying cold next week.
Looks very busy this week on the webcams.

https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c6697/
ski holidays
Here's another video of the Armentarola run (the "Hidden Valley"). This was March 2020, the day before the slopes closed. I was staying at Rifugio Averau and at breakfast the owners told me I'd better hustle home because they got word that morning the resort was shutting. I was pretty much the only around. Even the horse tow operators had packed up and I had to skate ski in. Quite an adventure! The Armentarola run is in the second half (2 minute video). Let's hope 2022 treats us better.

http://youtube.com/v/IZ7OE4r1gb8
latest report
@Simon94, just a clarification, tests are carried out in the post office attached to the Oswald, so you shouldn’t have people coughing in your aperol spritzer wink
snow report
@Bartezki, @Harrow lady, thanks for the information.....shame I am not staying at the Oswald Hotel ...looks nice!
snow conditions
Petra wrote:
I haven’t but I will - thank you!!!

Just be very careful with this - our friends who went at Xmas had a positive email from the ski pass office about this but on arrival turned out to be wrong...

They had to test their teen every 48 hrs for a green pass. So no official access allowed to bars and restaurants.
snow report
@sheffskibod

That’s my big worry now testing is not an option!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy