Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on a suitable resort in France

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I know this is early, but next winter (2022/23), I will be looking to find a resort in France for a week's skiing, that can meet the following list of fussy requirements!

One decent intermediate skier (aged 40ish)
One skier who has skied for two weeks on snow (aged 18 )
One skier who has skied one week on snow... 15+ years ago (aged 30)
One beginner (aged 30)

Slopes/lifts that aren't ridiculously busy (probably travelling at the very start of January) and a decent ski area

Reasonable apres ski (doesn't have to be the absolute busiest place going - we won't be out until the early hours every single night!) and not at top-end prices

Plenty of choice for catered accommodation that is close to/on the slopes.

Looking forward to any helpful suggestions or advice.

(Edited: it doesn't *have* to be France, if still within easy reach from UK)

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 1-10-21 23:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're in Austria, right up to
Quote:

I've no idea how catered chalets will work in 2 seasons time but probably not as well as two seasons ago, so maybe concentrate on the other points and compromise on the accommodation?

And, of course, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So to summarise, you're looking for:
- quiet slopes
- après ski
- good beginner and intermediate runs
- slopeside, catered accommodation
- France

I think it's the first two that might be difficult satisfy at the same time.

La Rosiere?
Courchevel 1650?

They're probably not ideal on the après-ski front, but a rowdier resort will probably mean busier slopes.

Alternatively you could drop the France requirement and that would give you lots more options.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why France?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, you're right, it doesn't *have* to be France, if it's still within easy reach from UK.
I can speak a bit of French though and like to make an effort!
So yes, happy to consider other options too Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First week in January? Obergurgl.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JoeB wrote:
Actually, you're right, it doesn't *have* to be France, if it's still within easy reach from UK.

By which mode of transport?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Plagne would tick most of those boxes, if you are happy a bar with some live music on the apres front, most areas of La Plagne have at least that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Tignes Val Claret you have Cocorico which is located at the bottom of the pistes (one fun challenging red and two blue pistes from opposite directions) so a good ending zone and meeting point at the end of the day. It's near the free bus to Tignes Le Lac, so this might be a good option but IMO Tignes is overshoot for beginners (I am in minority here) Blush
In all my years of skiing in France I have found very few proper apres ski places that start after 16, Austrian style like.
Up in the mountains you have La Folie Douce places which are fun and wild, especially in Meribel. They start around 14 and shut off at about 16. They also serve food (best Carbonara I've ever had was at La Folie Douce Val Thorens) but at about 16 the music unwinds and everybody skies home.
You could go to Les 2 Alpes for sensible priced skiing, dining and accommodation. Plenty of blue pistes, you can take them to the opposite mountain for uncrowded long blue pistes on La Vallee Blanche and then go with the mainstream all the way up on Jordi.
They have the Pano Bar with loud music and beverages at 14, but everybody ski together after 16 and it's crowded.
Plan B: You still have more than an year to go, download some foreign language app and learn German. Then the world is your oyster. Skiwelt, Saalbach, Solden.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 2-10-21 8:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JoeB, I’d give priority to the needs of the beginner, without sacrificing too much on the needs of the other group members.

I assume by ‘catered accommodation’ you include hotels in that, rather than just catered chalets.

Alpe D’Huez
Obergurgl
Selva Val Gardena
Soldeu
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Austria / Südtirol area of Italy.
Self cater but use the money saved from not being in a catered chalet to eat out alternate days. On the days you eat in, do it on the cheap. Frozen pizza one night for example.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La tania would be my pick, although apres is lacking. With catered accommodation, like chalets, I’ve never met many people who then go out much if they are in a catered option. You get back from skiing to tea and cake, have dinner with drinks, and going out seems such effort. lol

It’s a great cheaper option to get into the 3 valleys but beginners have some good options too
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
denfinella wrote:
JoeB wrote:

By which mode of transport?
By air
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PeakyB wrote:
@JoeB, I’d give priority to the needs of the beginner, without sacrificing too much on the needs of the other group members.

I assume by ‘catered accommodation’ you include hotels in that, rather than just catered chalets.

Alpe D’Huez
Obergurgl
Selva Val Gardena
Soldeu

Yes, I'm definitely including hotels, thanks.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Belle Plagne could be worth considering.

Plenty of ski in/out options and plenty almost as such.

A couple of relatively lively Apres bars.

Some great beginner slopes and a good many progression options.

I’d have bought there is enough to keep the group entertained for a week, plus it’s reasonably high, so shouldn’t be any snow condition issues.
latest report
Apart from those in 4 different countries I flagged up earlier (Alpe D’Huez, Obergurgl, Selva Val Gardena, Soldeu) I think both La Tania and Belle Plagne are good shouts for France.

Given they're in large, high altitude, snow sure areas, costs may be on the high side. However, in early January, if you miss the New Year bank holiday, there may be low season discounts or late booking bargains available.
snow conditions
Start of Jan is going to be the (in a usual year) one of the quietist times of the whole season I reckon, La Tania is a good shout, whilst only one decent bar its pretty lively and if you are in a catered chalet, you'll be getting back sharpish for the evening meal/wine!
snow report
Thanks very much for the suggestions, they're much appreciated and will give me a good start at narrowing down options!
snow report
JoeB wrote:
Hello,

I know this is early, but next winter (2022/23), I will be looking to find a resort in France for a week's skiing, that can meet the following list of fussy requirements!

One beginner (aged 30)

Slopes/lifts that aren't ridiculously busy (probably travelling at the very start of January) and a decent ski area

Reasonable apres ski (doesn't have to be the absolute busiest place going - we won't be out until the early hours every single night!) and not at top-end prices

Thanks so much!

Alpe d'Huez - has it all
latest report
Quote:

Plan B: You still have more than an year to go, download some foreign language app and learn German. Then the world is your oyster. Skiwelt, Saalbach, Solden.

Why bother, they all speak English fluently?
snow report
if you go for La Tania I can recommend Ski Magic as a chalet company.
snow conditions
Yellow Snow wrote:
JoeB wrote:
Hello,

One beginner (aged 30)

Thanks so much!

Alpe d'Huez - has it all

Maybe. It would be perfect for the beginner and 1/2 week skiers but the decent intermediate skier might not find it especially challenging. Neither the Tunnel or Chateau Noir pistes have been open when I've visited but I'm not sure I'd class the Cristaux/Sarenne pair a black, or even especially dark red. From memory the only run that make me wake up and have to focus on skiing properly was the unbashed Balcons black - and I'm not god's gift to skiing.
latest report
I disagree Alpes d’huez has a huge amount for intermediates. Depends if you want runs you can buzz around and enjoy or those where you really challenge yourself. Personally I am an intermediate skier and I like reds and blues with an odd black. I wouldn’t do the tunnel.
latest report
Thanks, the intermediate skier is happy on reds and blues - done a decent number of weeks but happy enough without blacks!
snow report
@JoeB, I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Snowheads bash.

Since you have a range of ski abilities then the key is to have something for everyone. If you keep to your group you will never all be satisfied.

The Birthday bash has a good range of skiing and there are loads of people to buddy up with so you can ski some days together but join other groups to let rip or perhaps take it easy and probably more importantly, to make sure you go somewhere appropriate for your ability.

If you mean by Apres, La follies douche, out in a restaurant or some late night bars with a bit of a wild atmosphere then the EOSB may be suitable but I would say that the snow in the afternoon may not be ideal for the beginner.

For the beginner and the 1 week 15 years ago I would say the birthday bash in Arabba would be best. They can spend the first day on the local hill to get used to it, then off to an area with a long easy ski home. Or ski to Alta Badia for miles of cruisy blues. This will build their confidence and skiing ability.

Off course on the EOSB, there is excellent instructors for people of all abilities and they are at special Snowheads prices.

The BB aprez is the pub so no clubbing etc for the young team.
snow conditions
Cervinia, pretty snow sure, excellent intermediate slopes, fantastic mountain scenery from the top, excellent mountain restaurants, and of course Zermatt over the border if feeling frisky near the end of the week. Apres not sure of but we’re going this year. It’s 30 plus years since I actually went there, but skied pretty much all of it from Zermatt. Cervinia this year because we include 1 two season skier and an absolute novice. Great wide open beginners slopes available which encourage progression.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Yellow Snow wrote:
JoeB wrote:
Hello,

One beginner (aged 30)

Thanks so much!

Alpe d'Huez - has it all

Maybe. It would be perfect for the beginner and 1/2 week skiers but the decent intermediate skier might not find it especially challenging. Neither the Tunnel or Chateau Noir pistes have been open when I've visited but I'm not sure I'd class the Cristaux/Sarenne pair a black, or even especially dark red. From memory the only run that make me wake up and have to focus on skiing properly was the unbashed Balcons black - and I'm not god's gift to skiing.

I am sure a lot of tne respondents on here ski/walk round with their eyes shut
latest report
I would only mention that you should be careful about "the start of January." Check that the French school holidays aren't later due to where Xmas falls. Some years the first week in January is actually the second week of school holidays and is thus jammed full. But if no conflict slopes will be quiet everywhere and prices lower.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pasigal, No French school areas are off according to the euro school holidays ensemble chart. (I'm pleased to report!)
snow conditions
Montgenevre
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy