Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy travel experience

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen certain hotels requesting a green pass just to stay in them though that's not a prerequisite for most hotels in Italy.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Going to Italy on 11th Dec. This is the first holiday that might actually go ahead (had 3 cancelled thanks to Covid) and have barely left my local area since Jan 20.

Just read all the above posts thread as to what needs to be done, what a blooming palava! rolling eyes

So just to check I have this right:

1) Need a 'Fit to Fly' test 48 hours max before flight
2) Need to fill in the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF) up to 48 before departure.
3) Buy "Day 2" arrival lateral flow test & PLF booking reference for returning to the UK in advance of leaving.
3) Need a second 'Fit to Fly' test 48 hours max before flight back home.
4) Need to fill in the UK Passenger Locator Form up to 48 before departure.
5) Take the "Day 2" test after getting home and upload the results.
6) Go back to work and pay for all the above crap!

Got both jabs and have the NHS app on the mobile.

Have I missed any loops that need jumping through? Puzzled Confused It's more complicated than the Krypton Factor!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
king key wrote:
Going to Italy on 11th Dec. This is the first holiday that might actually go ahead (had 3 cancelled thanks to Covid) and have barely left my local area since Jan 20.

Just read all the above posts thread as to what needs to be done, what a blooming palava! rolling eyes

So just to check I have this right:

2) Need to fill in the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF) up to 48 before departure.
3) Buy "Day 2" arrival lateral flow test & PLF booking reference for returning to the UK in advance of leaving.
3) Need a second 'Fit to Fly' test 48 hours max before flight back home.
4) Need to fill in the UK Passenger Locator Form up to 48 before departure.
5) Take the "Day 2" test after getting home and upload the results.

Got both jabs and have the NHS app on the mobile.

Have I missed any loops that need jumping through? Puzzled Confused It's more complicated than the Krypton Factor!

You have two 3)'s.... Smile

I dont think you need the second one - no requirement for a fit to fly test to come back to UK.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@king key,
got back couple of weeks ago, and don't think the process has changed so you don't need your second point 3 and do need your QR code or vaccine cert, so the list is

before
2) Need to fill in the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF) up to 48 before departure [can prep way before hand].
+ need QR code for 2nd vaccine dose from NHS app

you might be asked by the airline to upload PLF, fit to fly result & vaccine proof

return
4) Need to fill in the UK Passenger Locator Form up to 48 before departure [can create account beforehand to simplify process].
5) Take the "Day 2" test after getting home and upload the results [we didn't upload any results the tetsing company took care of that].

hope it all goes ahead will be good get up to date feedback, are you skiing ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks chaps.

"Are you skiing?" Hope so or it'll be the worst holiday ever! Laughing

Going to Corvara, Alta Badia. Never been there before, had to make a change of destination as I was going to Mayrhofen but that got cancelled.

On the upside it greatly reduces my chance of bumping into Stanton! Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@king key, am off to Corvara in Feb, went last year and love the Dolomites. It'll be interesting to hear how the ski pass arrangements work out re the Covid pass.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, it looks their snowmaking is well underway. Hopefully this cold patch hitting us will bring them a dump of the real stuff just before you arrive Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just bear in mind your 48 hr time limit on testing going out is on your arrival time into Italy so make sure you build in some leeway in case of delays.

Have a great time!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks.

Anyone know if the Italians are insisting on a particular certification of face-covering for lifts etc?
I see the French have some AFNOR spec (whatever the heck that is).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a local lockdown being imposed in parts of the Dolomites, from today until (hopefully) Dec 7th. Ortesei and St Christina are on the list. We're meant to be going to Selva on Dec 12th Puzzled
https://news.provincia.bz.it/it/news-archive/661415
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JohnDory, interesting thanks for posting.

key points from a skim read - limited travel from 8pm to 5.00 am, restaurants to close by 6pm but hotels can operate as normal, sporting activities are allowed during the day. There are also rules on mask types. It looks like skiing will be still ok but is concerning.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, quite concerning. It says 'However, when carrying out sporting activities, a distance of at least two meters from other people must be maintained' - how the heck are they going to police that on the slopes?? One at a time on the lifts? Let's hope this mini lockdown sorts this out so we can have some form of (new) normality soon after.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wonder how many in the region are going to put themselves out of business/work with their anti-vax stance. Pretty short-sighted attitude for somewhere so reliant on tourism. I just hope I can give them my money in Januray, but it's looking touch and go.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From what I read due to the fact this is Italy really only in name and that the people are more akin to their Austrian neighbours (Ladin or German first then Italian) in their beliefs of alternative medicines and distrust of vaccines that covid is surging here fast. Fingers crossed the local restrictions curb the increase in numbers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apparently vax rates in Sudtirol are 5-10 percentage points below national average.

That said, that area is a bit of a special case because of it being a nexus for north-south travel, and it gets visitors from all over Europe and eastern Europe. We go to Selva every year and lots of Russians, Czechs, Spanish, Dutch visitors. So local vax rates might be less of an issue than bringing in visitors from far-flung corners of Europe, although you would think that if you make most of your money from tourists, you'd want to get vaccinated just to stay in business...(shrug)

I'm just hoping this all sorts itself out by the last week in February. Although our Christmas in Vienna is looking less likely by the day...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello richb77. going to Alta badia as well in Jan, finger crossed we can all make it. check the Dolomiti Superski website. Apparently you need to upload the vaccination qr on a daily basis and match the scan to your lift pass number. It is explained really well on their website , it shouldn’t be too complicated or time consuming, but without the upload your lift pass will not work.
snow conditions
looks like it's a low number of cases in sparsely populated areas leading to high rates per 100k, this figure coupled with vax rates is used to determine restrictions. So high infection rate plus low rate vax = restrictions

e.g. Corvara has 3 cases in the last week but shows as a rate of ca 150/100,000, Ortisei is higher it's had ca 30 cases in the last 7 days so has a rate of 738/100,000. Both are down from their peaks at the start of the month, maybe when hotels brought in staff for the start of the season ?

I wonder how they will count the population when determining rates once the season starts. IIRC Corvara has a fixed population of 2k, must be 10x that in season.

data from here (easy to use in English)

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/bolzano/articoli/2021/03/blz-mappa-interattiva-comuni-alto-adige-covid-coronavirus-fb3bda4a-8f5d-4adb-9455-60aa0e7ed5bc.html
ski holidays
@Harrow lady, well found !
link in case useful to anyone, https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/safety
snow report
Unfortunately it looks like Italy is about to change their regulations to a ‘Super green pass’, which removes the option of testing from Dec 6th onwards.
https://www.thelocal.it/20211124/latest-italy-announces-covid-super-green-pass-restrictions-on-unvaccinated/

If the details are as stated, it looks like 12-15s who can’t prove their vaccine status can no longer do a regular test instead to access services, ski lifts etc.

It’s not clear if this upgrade to the green pass will also enforce two jabs (I suspect not, as it would take a whole lot of initially vaccinated Italians out of commission, which might be a step too far for them) - but if it did then obviously that would also impact uk 16-17 year olds.

Not good news for a lot of people, unfortunately.
ski holidays
@king key, don’t forget to take the time difference into account for the fit to fly, in addition to allowing for any delays, there we’re quite a few people caught out going to Spain in the summer and we’re turned back at gates in the UK , I’ll be doing my test 24hrs before to allow for any issues.
latest report
Pejoli wrote:
Unfortunately it looks like Italy is about to change their regulations to a ‘Super green pass’, which removes the option of testing from Dec 6th onwards.
https://www.thelocal.it/20211124/latest-italy-announces-covid-super-green-pass-restrictions-on-unvaccinated/

If the details are as stated, it looks like 12-15s who can’t prove their vaccine status can no longer do a regular test instead to access services, ski lifts etc.

It’s not clear if this upgrade to the green pass will also enforce two jabs (I suspect not, as it would take a whole lot of initially vaccinated Italians out of commission, which might be a step too far for them) - but if it did then obviously that would also impact uk 16-17 year olds.

Not good news for a lot of people, unfortunately.

The amount of admin now needed to get me and my son to Selva on the 12th Dec is getting crazy. I am double jabbed so, as things stand I should be ok to get the Green Pass. My son will turn 16 one week before departure and is and will be single jabbed. Can anybody tell me if a single jabbed 16 year old will be able to get a Green Pass or are two jabs required?

If they abandon LFT testing in town then he wont be able to validate his ski pass via that option either.
snow report
Jcosh wrote:

The amount of admin now needed to get me and my son to Selva on the 12th Dec is getting crazy.

I'm with you there, I wonder how many people simply won't go because they consider it too much of a faff? It is a holiday right? it isn't meant to be a stressful ordeal. My wife said if it was up to her to deal with the extra faff she just wouldn't bother going (good job she has me! Laughing ).
snow report
So this change to Super Green Pass could be good news - means I do not have to get my daughter tested 3 times in resort (running the risk of her testing positive - goodness knows what happens then)

Or very bad news - in so much that she cannot do anything on holiday as she only has one vax and/or she cannot show an official QR code to state that (thanks NHS app).
We only have a piece of paper with her vaccination record from the GP.
I would need concrete evidence that this is 100 % accepted before we travelled...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/24/italy-poised-to-tighten-rules-for-unvaccinated-with-super-green-pass
latest report
It definitely seems the faff factor is increased when you are taking children on your trip.

Although I can’t give any assistance on the kids front, I can reassure those travelling without sproglets that, as long as you get your ducks in a row, travel is absolutely doable.

Having travelled to Greece twice recently, once in Sept when we had to test to return & once in October, when we didn’t, it was actually OK.

Do your homework, have a checklist & if going as a group, make sure everyone knows exactly what’s needed before, during & after and your trip (subject to any last minute travel restriction changes) will go OK.

I’m fingers crossed for Pila in Jan for the DH’s 60th birthday trip. Six of us are booked - to fit in with household mixing restrictions - & I’ll be whipping butt early Jan to ensure we’re all admin’d up ready to go!
latest report
I'm sure I read somewhere that the green pass is valid for enclosed lifts like gondolas but not open lifts like tow or chairlifts without covers.
So as long as you don't go to a resort that needs an uplift from the base via gondola then you could perhaps circumnavigate the green pass issue with your kids. I'll try to find the site that I found that info on.
latest report
OK, can anybody offer any clarity on this;

Going to Selva on 12th dec.

Me double jabbed so should be fine with green pass and ski lift access.

My son, currently 15, but will be 16 when we travel is (as are most under 18’s in the UK) single jabbed. Will he be able to get green pass and lift access? I can’t seem to get clarity on this.

And if they are not allowing testing in town then it will be impossible to prove his Covid negative status.

Thanks.
snow report
sheffskibod wrote:
So this change to Super Green Pass could be good news - means I do not have to get my daughter tested 3 times in resort (running the risk of her testing positive - goodness knows what happens then)

Or very bad news - in so much that she cannot do anything on holiday as she only has one vax and/or she cannot show an official QR code to state that (thanks NHS app).
We only have a piece of paper with her vaccination record from the GP.
I would need concrete evidence that this is 100 % accepted before we travelled...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/24/italy-poised-to-tighten-rules-for-unvaccinated-with-super-green-pass

This is what I am struggling to understand.

Is one jab for a 16 year old sufficient?

And for those with kids under 16, how do you prove single vaccine status?
snow conditions
Quote:

don't go to a resort that needs an uplift from the base via gondola

Looking tricky for the Aosta valley trip we planned as Pila, Courmayeur, La Thuile (possible chair option), Cervinai (from Valtourneche) and Champoulac all start with gondalas from memory :-< Balls, I really wanted to give the kids some joy in Feb after a rubbish year or so.
ski holidays
https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/super-green-pass-italy-tightens-covid-rules-for-unvaccinated.html

This article discusses the need for a green pass from Dec the 6th in hotels and the other requirements.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm headed to Switzerland in March. Traveling from the US. Double jabbed with Moderna + a booster. I was able to get my Swiss certificate (applied on a PC, downloaded to the app on an iphone) no problem. They took my US CDC card as proof of vaccination. I'm also looking at Dolomites in January. It doesn't seem like as a non-EU or UK resident I can get a green card. Anyone have any insight into this for folks traveling from the US? Can I get a green card? Will my CDC card be accepted and allow me to enter restaurants and ski lifts? With cases on the rise in the Dolomites and uncertainty with the paperwork, the Dolomites are now looking unlikely for me in January.
ski holidays
Just answered my own question:
"Therefore, a green pass for vaccinated US tourists in Italy is the CDC paper vaccination card, or a digital QR code or PDF file provided by some states’ health departments."

Still concerned about the rise of cases in the Dolomites and whether it will feel like a proper holiday. Also, there's the chance that Italy will go into some form of lockdown and shut down the lifts. Looking like a game time decision.
latest report
@choucas cases are rising everywhere in Europe unfortunately. Italy has a traffic light -like system to manage the opening closing of areas and services. If an area is labelled white or orange by the authorities the ski lifts are going to stay open and as long as u are vaccinated it should be all ok , if red then they are going to close everything like last year. They are trying this new system of super green pass to prevent another lockdown. Let’s hope it works, whether it will nobody knows. If u haven’t booked yet I would personally wait
snow conditions
Don't book anything you can't cancel I guess is the only way forward!

Italy may well go into further restrictions this winter. Talking to my family the other day they said they wouldn't be surprised by further restrictions by Xmas there in the Veneto.

That being said...I wouldn't be surprised about further restrictions here either...
ski holidays
Had an email from my prospective host in Piedmont region this morning reminding me that a green pass will be necessary. Not out there till Jan but, out of interest, I tried downloading the app and scanning in my NHS pass. Even for a dinosaur like me it was a doddle!
snow conditions
Some useful info on figures

https://www.provinz.bz.it/sicherheit-zivilschutz/zivilschutz/aktuelle-daten-zum-coronavirus.asp

And some useful info on requirements

https://www.suedtirol.info/en/information/coronavirus
latest report
So far nothing I’ve read has indicated they will tighten the super green pass rules to require two jabs - which is a positive for 16+ - but for 12-15s you’ll still have a problem of not having a qr code available, and not able to substitute it with a local test.

However, I’ve not seen the ‘official regs’ published anywhere- it’s all media reports so far. So until we see those, we won’t really know.
snow conditions
Pejoli wrote:
So far nothing I’ve read has indicated they will tighten the super green pass rules to require two jabs - which is a positive for 16+ - but for 12-15s you’ll still have a problem of not having a qr code available, and not able to substitute it with a local test.

However, I’ve not seen the ‘official regs’ published anywhere- it’s all media reports so far. So until we see those, we won’t really know.

I've been trying for a while now to understand if one jab for a 16 year old English child is sufficient for a Green Pass. Does Italy class one jab as vaccinated and therefore a 16 year old can get a Green Pass?

Unfortunately he is not 16 until a few days before we depart so I can't check on his NHS app (which he can't download until he is 16).

I'm really hoping one jab is enough for a 16 year old in Italy? Can anybody clarify, with certainty?

Thanks
ski holidays
esaw1 wrote:
…..out of interest, I tried downloading the app and scanning in my NHS pass. Even for a dinosaur like me it was a doddle!

I’ve done the same but it only really proves that your QR code will provide a green tick when scanned by an Italian using their app.
snow report
The link I posted above clarifies about children and vaccination requirements

'Children between the ages of 12 and 18 who have not been vaccinated must present a test or recovery certificate upon entry when staying in South Tyrol. These certificates can be uploaded and stored in their parent’s mobile app.
Rapid antigen tests are valid for 48 hours: this requires a nose or throat swab. This test indicates whether one is currently sick and contagious with COVID-19. PCR tests are valid for 72 hours from the time of testing. This test is the gold standard of diagnostics and may also be used to clarify whether a person with symptoms is infected with COVID-19 or to verify the findings of a positive rapid antigen test.
Throughout the province, more than 100 pharmacies, physicians and pediatricians, as well as some municipalities, offer rapid antigen tests to obtain the test certificate, which is equivalent to the Green Pass. These tests may only be performed by trained healthcare professionals. These tests are not offered by the hotels. Nose-swab tests or rapid antigen tests that are self-administered are not valid for Green Pass certification. An overview of all test stations is available here. There is a charge for the test: the cost of the rapid antigen test is between 5 and 15 euros per test.'
ski holidays
Sweedish wrote:
The link I posted above clarifies about children and vaccination requirements

'Children between the ages of 12 and 18 who have not been vaccinated must present a test or recovery certificate upon entry when staying in South Tyrol. These certificates can be uploaded and stored in their parent’s mobile app.
Rapid antigen tests are valid for 48 hours: this requires a nose or throat swab. This test indicates whether one is currently sick and contagious with COVID-19. PCR tests are valid for 72 hours from the time of testing. This test is the gold standard of diagnostics and may also be used to clarify whether a person with symptoms is infected with COVID-19 or to verify the findings of a positive rapid antigen test.
Throughout the province, more than 100 pharmacies, physicians and pediatricians, as well as some municipalities, offer rapid antigen tests to obtain the test certificate, which is equivalent to the Green Pass. These tests may only be performed by trained healthcare professionals. These tests are not offered by the hotels. Nose-swab tests or rapid antigen tests that are self-administered are not valid for Green Pass certification. An overview of all test stations is available here. There is a charge for the test: the cost of the rapid antigen test is between 5 and 15 euros per test.'

All fully understood, BUT where is the clarity on one jab or two jabs for 16 years olds?
ski holidays
@Red Leon, Exactly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy