Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Month ski trip in Jan 22 - What to do!?

Poster: A snowHead
I've managed to persuade work to give me January off and I'm toying with a few different ideas:

1. Non-Stop Off piste course in Fernie, Canada (Think it will be great but v.expensive)
2. Non-Stop Off piste course in Serre Chaveliere, France (Same as above)
3. Find accommodation in a ski resort and find other off-piste skiiers, or join courses in that area. Maybe get a part time job to meet people. (Never done this before and a bit concerned that I could end up not meeting people and whether I'd be able to get work due to Brexit)

I'm a 31 year old man and a reasonable off piste skier (I've done a few off piste courses with the French UCPA previously).

I also want to improve my French when I'm away, although I can do that online so Canada wouldn't necessarily be an issue.

Sharing on here to see if anyone has any good ideas I haven't though of, any advice, or if anyone else is planning something similar and wants to join!?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know a month's worth of course(s) you can get for a reasonable price. You might have to do a weeks course and just a lot of OP skiing for the rest of the time. For that there are cheap lift passes around here that might help. January is a good time to do it as in between holidays and fewer people out skiing. Are you based on Europe or in Canada?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
splash out on a Fernie course-expensive,but the snow is great usually and very sociable .Did a week with them a few years ago and plan to do another couple of weeks with them next year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about something like this?

https://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/shop/january-intense-mornings-seasonal-training-course/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ed_sec wrote:
I don't know a month's worth of course(s) you can get for a reasonable price. You might have to do a weeks course and just a lot of OP skiing for the rest of the time. For that there are cheap lift passes around here that might help. January is a good time to do it as in between holidays and fewer people out skiing. Are you based on Europe or in Canada?

Thanks for the message. You're right, it's difficult to find courses and accommodation that are reasonably priced for that amount of time. I'm based in England.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Knee Deep wrote:
splash out on a Fernie course-expensive,but the snow is great usually and very sociable .Did a week with them a few years ago and plan to do another couple of weeks with them next year.

Nice, good to know that you enjoyed it. When you say next year are you thinking 21-22 season and are you considering January 22?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:

https://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/shop/january-intense-mornings-seasonal-training-course/

Thanks for messaging - Definitely looks like something I'd consider and I hadn't spotted this online. Might just be a pain getting accommodation in Verbier at a reasonable price.

Are you considering the course?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not looking at it myself, but i've looked into some of their other training for instructor qualifications, and have come across that as a result.

Might be worth looking in La Chable as well as Verbier, slightly cheaper, but still pricey no doubt. There is a hostel there though, so maybe worth contacting them, or also checking out the verbier accommodation facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/322363224774790

Someone on there might have something/know someone.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Craigj90, looking at doing their powder triangle course end of Feb
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Craigj90 wrote:
I've managed to persuade work to give me January off and I'm toying with:

1. Non-Stop Off piste course in Fernie, Canada (Think it will be great but v.expensive)

Why "non-stop" courses???

You said you're a "reasonable off piste skier". Fernie has quite a lot of off piste terrain. So just go ski!

Take courses/lessons at whatever you can afford. But just ski!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote]
Why "non-stop" courses???

You said you're a "reasonable off piste skier". Fernie has quite a lot of off piste terrain. So just go ski!

Take courses/lessons at whatever you can afford. But just ski!!!

Sun 03 Oct, 21
14:38
[quote]

I disagree-not that easy if travelling solo-and also much more sociable and structured going with a company such as non stop ski (if you can afford it!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Knee Deep wrote:

I disagree-not that easy if travelling solo-and also much more sociable and structured going with a company such as non stop ski (if you can afford it!)

What's not that easy traveling solo? On the social side, he'll just have to hit the bar after skiing. As for "structured"? OP is 31. If he can't get "structured" enough to sort out some lessons and a few drinking buddies, he's got a lot bigger problem than not getting up some skiing done .

Besides, this thread is in the wrong forum. Ask the mod to move it to piste or resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Craigj90 wrote:
swskier wrote:

Thanks for messaging - Definitely looks like something I'd consider and I hadn't spotted this online. Might just be a pain getting accommodation in Verbier at a reasonable price.

Are you considering the course?

Maybe I’m biased but IMO you won’t beat the off piste terrain in Verbier, and in Jan you’ll have access to the Bruson tree skiing as well as the high alpine stuff. There’s a reason many of the worlds best freeriders ride there. Perhaps you could sign up for a couple of weeks of mornings which would give you the chance to meet some people. Then you could either do your own thing with any mates you’ve made or add another week or two of tuition. There are always people getting injured / sacked after Xmas/NY so suspect it won’t be that hard to pick up a room in a shared place in Jan (and possibly some work) but unlikely you’ll get it booked in advance or would be more costly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Knee Deep wrote:
@Craigj90, looking at doing their powder triangle course end of Feb

Nice, enjoy! Shame we'll miss each other.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

IMO you won’t beat the off piste terrain in Verbier

I have no doubt verbier terrain is awesome. As a solo person though North America is so practical. Even on days there is no partners to ski with or avalanche danger is too high to go out of bounds you still can enjoy in bounds off piste skiing. The terrain is not exactly bad in BC either wink

As for non-stop they come well recommended, but you are paying a LOT of money for what you can organise on your own.

Go stay in a hostel and as long as you have minimum social skills you will have a bunch of friends to ski with in days. Also tend to be lots of the resort staff so they know all the good spots.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

IMO you won’t beat the off piste terrain in Verbier

I have no doubt verbier terrain is awesome. As a solo person though North America is so practical. Even on days there is no partners to ski with or avalanche danger is too high to go out of bounds you still can enjoy in bounds off piste skiing. The terrain is not exactly bad in BC either wink

As for non-stop they come well recommended, but you are paying a LOT of money for what you can organise on your own.

Go stay in a hostel and as long as you have minimum social skills you will have a bunch of friends to ski with in days. Also tend to be lots of the resort staff so they know all the good spots.

You make a good point and I have stayed at hostel type accommodation (UCPA) in France a few times and always had a great time. I'm not too worried about the social aspect as I'm outgoing.

Do you know any good hostels in Canada?
ski holidays
Work out which resorts most appeal to you and then look at hostels in the area. Fernie has at least one.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy