Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pair of prehistoric skis finally completed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A ski dating back 1300 years has finally emerged from a Norwegian glacier. The skis partner was found in 2014 and the archeology team have been monitoring the spot since waiting to discover its partner.

The 'new' ski is in better condition and still has its binding in place. It seems to also have answered the question as to whether fur was used on the underside to aide cross country travel...

Link to the article here
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting but not prehistoric
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Even as those photos where being taken there'll be a man approaching wearing elasticated waist trousers in taup (taup is not a colour, just exsists in the fluff collected from tumble dryer filter) and nasal delivery, to claim "I wouldn't use those, they'll have gone noodly by now" and "I bet those will make your knees ace on piste in that width" Very Happy

Joking aside, they are really a fascinating find though. And ultra cool.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sad thing is, melting ice revealed this. Climate change and all that is a barsteward.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's not just melting ice. It's a glacier, so moves slowly downhill, taking anything with it. This is a relatively small glacier on global terms, so moves extremely slowly. It would have worked it's way out eventually, even if the glacier was expanding, as this comes from above.

Fascinating how well ice preserves stuff it collects. Be a great find if the owner of them shows up it the next few years.

Interesting to note their disappointment when they found no trace of fur on the bases. Doesn't mean they didn't use fur for uphill, just that he might have been going downhill when he lost them. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
brianatab wrote:
Be a great find if the owner of them shows up it the next few years.

True, although I doubt he'll be reclaiming the skis.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bet the rental Co won't give the deposit back. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@harrim51, Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At that rate the Volkl P9 I lost on Glacier Pers in 1989 can be reunited with its partner around 3280, if not before…
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
brianatab wrote:
Be a great find if the owner of them shows up it the next few years.

True, although I doubt he'll be reclaiming the skis.... Toofy Grin

I'd venture to offer Awdbugga as owner Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grinning, I'd hope that improvements in base materials and waxes would mean better glide compared to the recently found ski. So maybe you should check in 3200 or so, just in case.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mgrolf I reckon the cracked edges on the P9s would slow ‘em up some.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, by definition, technically it is pre-historic, as no written record exists of bronze age life in either pre-viking age tribes or the indigenous Sami tribes of the area, both tending to use oral traditions common to more nomadic hunter/gatherer peoples. Effectively a people's 'prehistoric era' ends with the introduction of writing and happens for different communities at different times. For example, some remote uncontacted tribes in the Amazon can still be classed as Pre-Historic.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy