Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in France 2021/2022 season

Poster: A snowHead
Just appeared on Morzine Source FB

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just seen that too. Fingers crossed!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@andy from embsay, that would be good, but likely that PS lawgoing to be extended ...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PS law didn’t apply to lifts this summer though, eh? Just cafes etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andy from embsay, indeed, here's hoping. There may be some obscure legal wrangling as at least e.g. the Aiguille du Midi cable is legally categorised as "public transport" (I'd presume the Prodains lift would be as well ...) so if the Paris metro can run sans PS ...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NEW: French government confirms ski areas will be open with ski lifts running this winter. They say the country’s ‘Pass Sanitaire’ vaccination passport will not be needed to get on a ski lift. (2 Oct). saw this today. not sure how reliable the source is
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think this is good news. The PS would likely have freed up normal use of a gondola but if my experience of the La Tania gondola this summer is anything to go by, the queues will be ridiculous. In LT, they had a traffic light system that only allowed one group/family/single per gondola. If they apply that in winter it will be unusable outside low season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry, but I think it is good news, particularly if you have UK teenage children who through no fault of their own, would not qualify for the PS. If people are allowed to mix closely in buses, trains, tubes etc without the PS, there is no epidemiological difference with doing the same in a gondola. Post mass vaccination, if anyone is still worried about Covid, they need to stay at home or stick to chair lifts. We're as safe as we are ever going to be.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Raceplate, Go somewhere without Gondolas.
Simples.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WindOfChange, This. I haven't set foot on a gondala since a ropey experience in Cervinia in 2003.

Like @snowhound, I have 3 teenaged children. Two will have had a single dose so won't qualify for the PS. One will have had a single dose as well as covid recovery, so would theoretically be eligible for the PS, but because he is 13, there is no way to get the info on there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2021/09/30/les-stations-ouvriront-et-sans-pass-sanitaire-sauf-degradation
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmycb5 wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

but I’ve been loving under a rock for the past 6 months .

Tell us more.

I have also booked a couple trips this upcoming season, one driving one flying. The driving one should be fine. The flying one may be a problem, oddly tied up with car hire a Geneva airport. It appears that the French side car hire is only open a short period in the middle of the day. Since I find the French side much more conveinent and generally, though not always, cheeper this is very diappointing. I wonder if the situation will change before January.

As to the question of partially vaccinated British children I am not sure if that will be acceptable. My friend in France reports that his 12 year old daughter had to be fully vaccinated for pass sanitaire.

Just lifted this from https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/coronavirus-statements/article/applying-for-a-covid-certificate-if-you-were-vaccinated-abroad-procedure-for

Quote:
If you have been vaccinated with a vaccine accepted by the European Medicines Agency or an equivalent:
4 weeks if you received a single-dose injection (Johnson&Johnson);
7 days after the second injection for two-dose vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca);
7 days after the injection if you have recovered from COVID-19 (in this case, only one vaccine dose is necessary);

So partial vaccination is fine if you have previously had a confirmed case of covid, but otherwise not.

Recovered people don't need jabs if coming from countries in the green list (Countries/territories on the “green” list: countries in the European space (European Union, Andorra, the Holy See, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland), and Albania, Australia, Bahrain, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Comoros Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Jordan, Kosovo, Lebanon, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Ukraine, Uruguay and Vanuatu.)

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/#sommaire_1

"If you have previously contracted COVID-19, instead of a negative test result you may present a certificate of recovery dated more than 11 days and less than 6 months prior to the date of arrival. A certificate of recovery is a document issued to persons who have contracted COVID-19, upon presentation of a positive RT-PCR or antigenic test."
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nunex, I'll be coming from the UK. Unfortunately, even though my son will have 1 x jab and recovered from Covid, because of the age he is, it's not possible to get the info of this on the Tous Anti Covid app.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anone know how to get a Certificate of Recovery, by any chance?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ricky B, I'm assuming it's on the NHS app? Not the T&T one, the other one.
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, If any of your teens are 16/17 they will be able to get a second vaccination from mid October (assuming had first in August). Check the NHS book a vaccine site. The government haven't said anything about second vaccinations for 12-15s yet but then they never said they would give them for 16 year olds and the second vaccine can now be booked for that age group.
snow conditions
@snowymum, oh that's good to know. My daughters are 16 and had theirs pretty close to when they opened up, so that's good.

If my lad (13yo) is offered it, he'll get it too, but I'm not sure if we'll have the same problem with getting proof of it on the TAC?
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
@Raceplate, Go somewhere without Gondolas.
Simples.

Good idea. I'll just hitch my apartment to the back of my car and move it somewhere else shall I?

For reference, all the major uplift in the 3Vs is on gondolas. Gondolas are the main or only morning way out of Brides les Bains, La Tania, Courchevel 1550, Courchevel 1650, Courchevel 1850, Orelle and St Martin de Belleville. They are 50% or more of Le Praz, Meribel, Mottaret and Les Menuires.

If people don't use gondolas, what do you think the queues will be like on the ski busses and remaining chairlifts???
latest report
@Raceplate, Yeah, that's gotta suck.
That's the one drawback with Verbier (4V) too.
They have a cool lift which is combined gondolas and chairs on the same cable (so you can choose), but if you arrive from low down the valley like Le Chable, then you just have to suck it up.
Who uses ski busses these days btw?
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
Who uses ski busses these days btw?

Anyone who's staying in a place that only has a gondola and wants to go somewhere with a chairlift!
snow conditions
Not too sure about getting 16 yr old their 2nd jab. The NHS Booking site states just a few conditions, such as underlying health conditions or living with vulnerable parents etc. If non of the apply to the teenager then I can’t see how you’re able to book a 2nd jab.

I’ll be gladly guided as how this is indeed booked as I have twin 16 yr old girls and we’re planning on visiting Flaine/Chamonix and Arc 1950 this year and avoid the cost of Covid tests would be much appreciated.
latest report
Hmm, just checked, you're correct @Crashnburn, there is nothing there at the moment. Perhaps this is due to change in mid October?

Quote:
I have twin 16 yr old girls

Snap!
snow report
@Raceplate, Why would you go somewhere like that though ?
snow report
@Crashnburn, I have just checked the NHS site again and you are correct. It is strange because a week or so ago it let you book a second jab for a 16 year old but now they seem to have taken the option away again.
snow conditions
thierryd wrote:
FrediKanoute wrote:
How does the pass sanitaire work for kids under 12? Given that they wont be vaccinated, does this create a situation where mum and dad are fine but the kids have to eat outside and can't use the lifts?

Passe Sanitaire is for over 12 years old only

My understanding is that was the case up to 30th September but from 1st October now 12-17 years olds do need a Passe Sanitaire.

My 13 year old will be affected and right now this is my biggest stress about our Feb half term plans for Les Arcs. She'll be getting her first jab this month and I really hope they will do second jabs (for those who want it) no later than January. If that doesn't happen then the fall back is an antigen (lateral flow) test to be taken at a pharmacy every 72 hours at 29 euros a time. The results are logged on the official site and you upload to the app on your phone. Of course whether you need a passe santiaire will depend on whether they're required for the lifts and ski schools and how often you want to use bars/restaurants and pools. Now I'll be happy to pay for a few tests if it means we can ski but the particulars of which pharmacies will offer it, will you need to book an appointment etc. are currently hazy. If we can get it done locally in Arc 1800 that's ok, but if we have to go down to Bourg every time that will be a real hassle.
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
Hmm, just checked, you're correct @Crashnburn, there is nothing there at the moment. Perhaps this is due to change in mid October?

Quote:

Snap!

Ah, lifetime poor people then? One daughter is bad enough lol. Very Happy
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Quote:

Snap!

Ah, lifetime poor people then? One daughter is bad enough lol. Very Happy

I'm nervously looking 18 months down the line when they'll be eagerly awaiting A level results and one wanting to go to Edinburgh uni for 4 years, and the other to Cardiff uni for 4 years. Shocked

In their 4th year, my son will also be going to uni. I need to win the lottery.
ski holidays
Not overly sure they'll be able to manage the antigen tests for the PS at a local level in high season. We went to France in summer and needed to book a return antigen test in Bourg. The process was very smooth - however, we went in on a Monday and could only get a test for the Friday (which was fine in summer). But there were hardly any Brits. Imagine kids/the unvaccinated of lots of nations needing a test every 72 hours - impossible in alpine situations.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2021/09/30/les-stations-ouvriront-et-sans-pass-sanitaire-sauf-degradation

This is good news. Thanks.
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
Sorry, but I think it is good news, particularly if you have UK teenage children who through no fault of their own, would not qualify for the PS. If people are allowed to mix closely in buses, trains, tubes etc without the PS, there is no epidemiological difference with doing the same in a gondola. Post mass vaccination, if anyone is still worried about Covid, they need to stay at home or stick to chair lifts. We're as safe as we are ever going to be.

Totally agree with you. I am in the same boat with my 14 year old. It's pretty clear that Covid is not going away. IMO, the quicker we live with it the better. I know it's not a shared view but I think it's time to look at personal risk. Anyway, not here to bash on about Covid. I just want to go skiing! Very Happy
snow report
I agree with you - and also in the same boat with a 14 year old. I wish they could have their second jab but I haven’t even heard a rumour that it’s a possibility.

Does anyone know what the Pass Sanitaire rules are for staying in a hotel?
ski holidays
Soozm wrote:
I agree with you - and also in the same boat with a 14 year old. I wish they could have their second jab but I haven’t even heard a rumour that it’s a possibility.

From what I've read you do not need pass sanitaire to stay in hotels, but you need one to use the bar/restaurant and swimming pool etc. Also no room service.

https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus/pass-sanitaire
latest report
Our apartment block (P&V Les Menuires) also said no need for PS either. I am hoping that a degree of balanced common sense prevails, not least because I cannot see how resorts will be able to manage the testing requirements for doing teenagers regularly-particularly in resorts which are popular traditionally with UK skiers. Whatever some might say, even losing 10-20% of their market (at a guess) of UK family skiers must hit the margins given the high fixed costs involved with ski resort operations. That and the fact that masked transmission on chairlifts and gondolas must be pretty insignificant compared to bars, cafes, apres places etc which are covered by PS. Also, there is increasing evidence that vaccination might reduce transmission, but not by that much.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/28/covid-vaccinated-likely-unjabbed-infect-cohabiters-study-suggests

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 28-10-21 19:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Thank you! So in effect unvaccinated teens will need it for hotel accommodation.
snow report
Soozm wrote:

In early October we had to show Pass Sanitaire at hotel check-in, dinner and breakfast. Campsite also required it at check-in.
snow report
thierryd wrote:
johnE wrote:
It appears that the French side car hire is only open a short period in the middle of the day. Since I find the French side much more conveinent and generally, though not always, cheeper this is very diappointing.

Try to avoid renting on the french side of Geneva Airport:

1) French Side is almost always without chains as it's mandatory on Swiss side during winter (so included into the price)
2) French Side imposed you to drive to the Swiss side to come back to France so you need to buy the Vignette

1) used to be the case but the last two times we hired from GVA Swiss side in 2019/20 we were asked if we wanted chains, then charged extra, as we did... Sad

2) You need the CH motorway vignette (at a cost of 40 CH Francs) for only 10 minutes or so of the outward and return journeys. However, you could choose not buy one and then avoid using the Swiss motorway. That involves driving into Geneva centre, then following the signs for Chamonix/France, which we have done a couple of times - including pre-satnav days wink You then pick up the motorway in France at the other side of Geneva. It all depends on your timings really, in that if you are not in a rush you may decide not to buy the motorway vignette. Geneva isn't a bad city to drive through and the drive is very scenic, past the lake. However, it would add about 30 minutes to your drive.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 28-10-21 23:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Thank you too Smile

Can’t decide what to do. If the tests are reasonably easy to come by (PdS) our kate Dec trip should be manageable… but if she tests positive while we’re away that’s a different level of stress! Does anyone know what happens in terms of quarantine arrangements?
ski holidays
@Soozm, Leave til the last minute before you can cancel or postone?
Re. quarantine....given there are no pre-flight return tests, who will know...? Not least because lateral flow is not the 'gold standard' on which self isolation is legally required (at least in the UK, that is...).
ski holidays
Oh that’s interesting - I hadn’t thought of it like that. I sort of assumed some sort of process would be triggered at a positive test. Although that brings up all sorts of ethical issues obvs!
latest report
My friend tested positive in summer (tested 2 days before return to the UK). She was with her family. The pharmacy gave her the result and she just left (there really was no process as she's a 'tourist'). She managed to extend her villa rental 7 days and then returned to the UK. Was very simple. I believe the responsibility is down to personal level in France - there's no Covid police ready to jump on you if you have a positive test.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy