Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in France 2021/2022 season

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there everyone, I normally drive to France and ski a few times a season using mainly air b and b’s and obviously missed last season but keen to get out there this year, I’m double jabbed and would like to start getting some accommodation booked but I’m apprehensive about rules and possible lift queues, does anyone have any info on what France are planning for this season? Are there restricted lifts and can I even drive to France this year, sorry for the ignorance but I’ve been loving under a rock for the past 6 months .
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pika1971, Also planning two ski trips to France this season. We go EasyJet whose flights can be pushed back if necessary, and have booked Airbnbs all with cancellation up to two weeks beforehand. With those provisions in place, we're happy to plan and book, but if there are restrictions on use of lifts-in our case, for our 14,15 year old daughters-then everything can be cancelled.
I think there is a decision re. lift access in a couple of weeks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Similar story here, have 3 trips booked, and all done via Airbnb/Vrbo. Cancellation policies mean we can get out of things if needs be, bit I'm optimistic we'll get out there this season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes as @snowhound says there is due to be an announcement mid October. I'm hoping that if you meet the requirements of the pass sanitaire then we'll be allowed.

As "luck" would have it, having covid plus a single jab is (I think) considered fully jabbed in France, and my 13 yo son had a positive PCR yesterday. My 16 yo daughters will get their PCR results today. My daughters have already had one jab and my son will have one at the earliest convenience.

I obviously don't want them to have covid, but I'm trying to look for the positives!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great thanks everyone that sounds encouraging, I think I’ll go ahead and book some accommodation and keep my fingers crossed for some positive news in a few weeks.
Can’t wait to strap the planks on again.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just come back from 2 weeks travelling round France on holiday - drove via Eurotunnel, Paris, Poitiers, Limousin, St Emillion, La Rochelle and back. As long as you meet the requirements to have a valid QR code on pass sanitaire (double jabbed in our case) then I think all will be OK. They wanted it for every bar and restaurant, but not supermarkets. I suspect you will need it for lifts, but not sure how they will police it. Masks in shops not 100% in evidence (we did) but the country seems relaxed so long as you can show the QR code, so I can't imagine them shutting down lifts again this year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

but I’ve been loving under a rock for the past 6 months .

Tell us more.

I have also booked a couple trips this upcoming season, one driving one flying. The driving one should be fine. The flying one may be a problem, oddly tied up with car hire a Geneva airport. It appears that the French side car hire is only open a short period in the middle of the day. Since I find the French side much more conveinent and generally, though not always, cheeper this is very diappointing. I wonder if the situation will change before January.

As to the question of partially vaccinated British children I am not sure if that will be acceptable. My friend in France reports that his 12 year old daughter had to be fully vaccinated for pass sanitaire.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
Quote:

but I’ve been loving under a rock for the past 6 months .

Tell us more.

I have also booked a couple trips this upcoming season, one driving one flying. The driving one should be fine. The flying one may be a problem, oddly tied up with car hire a Geneva airport. It appears that the French side car hire is only open a short period in the middle of the day. Since I find the French side much more conveinent and generally, though not always, cheeper this is very diappointing. I wonder if the situation will change before January.

As to the question of partially vaccinated British children I am not sure if that will be acceptable. My friend in France reports that his 12 year old daughter had to be fully vaccinated for pass sanitaire.

Just lifted this from https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/coronavirus-statements/article/applying-for-a-covid-certificate-if-you-were-vaccinated-abroad-procedure-for

Quote:
If you have been vaccinated with a vaccine accepted by the European Medicines Agency or an equivalent:
4 weeks if you received a single-dose injection (Johnson&Johnson);
7 days after the second injection for two-dose vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca);
7 days after the injection if you have recovered from COVID-19 (in this case, only one vaccine dose is necessary);

So partial vaccination is fine if you have previously had a confirmed case of covid, but otherwise not.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Timmycb5, re partial vaccination/recovery don't we also need the NHS app to have this option in order to import it into the French version - and at the moment, the NHS app doesn't recognise vaccinated/recovered? It also doesn't work currently for under 16s.

I am hoping very much this will all be ironed out in time (including second doses being offered to teens who want them - although we've heard nothing at all about first doses yet).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skimum1, Hmm. Don't know. I hadn't looked into it previously as we only got the test results yesterday. Will do some digging.

Otherwise it will mean PCR tests for the kids, which is a pain in the ass and wallet!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree that it is unlikely the French would allow single jabbed UK teenagers to do something that single jabbed French teenagers could not-that would seem politically impossible to justify.
So I am very much hoping that ski lifts are treated as public transport where pass sanitaire is not required. It would seem odd that people could cram onto a bus or train without two jabs, but could not sit on a chairlift.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Timmycb5, French website says antigen within 72 days would be OK, not just PCR. Just whether it is worth the hassle....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
It appears that the French side car hire is only open a short period in the middle of the day. Since I find the French side much more conveinent and generally, though not always, cheeper this is very diappointing.

Try to avoid renting on the french side of Geneva Airport:

1) French Side is almost always without chains as it's mandatory on Swiss side during winter (so included into the price)
2) French Side imposed you to drive to the Swiss side to come back to France so you need to buy the Swiss Vignette even for 200m drive as it's include on the Swiss side
3) more choice, more vendors, larger opening time on Swiss side

If you want to avoid car rental hugh ends cost in Geneva, you better go to Lyon.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If you want to avoid car rental hugh ends cost in Geneva, you better go to Lyon.....

The trouble with Lyon is that you have to change in Amsterdam. At the moment with two sets of Covid regulations that is a real hassle.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

The trouble with Lyon is that you have to change in Amsterdam. At the moment with two sets of Covid regulations that is a real hassle.

As of today Lyon have direct flights from London, Bristol, Belfast and Edinburgh.... It's not perfect but not so bad
latest report
How does the pass sanitaire work for kids under 12? Given that they wont be vaccinated, does this create a situation where mum and dad are fine but the kids have to eat outside and can't use the lifts?
ski holidays
FrediKanoute wrote:
How does the pass sanitaire work for kids under 12? Given that they wont be vaccinated, does this create a situation where mum and dad are fine but the kids have to eat outside and can't use the lifts?

Passe Sanitaire is for over 12 years old only
snow report
thierryd wrote:

Passe Sanitaire is for over 12 years old only

Many thanks! That is great news!
latest report
@Timmycb5, wish your kids a quick recovery and hoping too this all gets sorted soon.
snow report
@Skimum1, thank you. They're ok really. Just like a very heavy cold with a cough. They already appear to be on the mend, so fingers crossed for no lasting effects.
latest report
@thierryd, swiss side you will get winter tyres but not always chains. agree that french side often still on summer tyres with no chains.
You only need swiss vignette for swiss motorways. It is possible to access french sector from France from the north on french roads or go through geneva to avoid motorways from the south. Yes it is more difficult but should be able to set satnav to avoid motorways.
snow report
pateman99 wrote:
@thierryd, swiss side you will get winter tyres but not always chains. agree that french side often still on summer tyres with no chains.
You only need swiss vignette for swiss motorways. It is possible to access french sector from France from the north on french roads or go through geneva to avoid motorways from the south. Yes it is more difficult but should be able to set satnav to avoid motorways.

My bad, winter tyres included in the rental price on swiss side.... It's not difficult to drive to the french border from french side of the airport (I did it) but it' s becomming tricky and longer to reach any part of french ski resort from there in comparaison from the swiss part. And as soon as you enter the swiss part, going to french ski resort, avoiding motorways (or semi-motorways) is very very very very difficult.....
snow conditions
@thierryd, Obviously depends where you are going. I travel to near Morzine and always use the route via the lake and Geneva centre. It is possible ( how easy is very subjective ) to go from the lake towards annemasse to get on the french motorway system.

I have used both sides of the airport both winter and summer. Positives for the french side are that often shorter queues, can be cheaper and the cars are very close to the desks. On swiss side need to take a bus to the multi story car park where the hire cars are or fair walk with luggage. Negatives of french side are that it is quite a trek in the airport with luggage and some people struggle to find it. Plus the lack of winter tyres and more difficult road access. Depending upon individual preferences the decision will be different.
latest report
pateman99 wrote:
@thierryd, Obviously depends where you are going. I travel to near Morzine and always use the route via the lake and Geneva centre. It is possible ( how easy is very subjective ) to go from the lake towards annemasse to get on the french motorway system.

I have used both sides of the airport both winter and summer. Positives for the french side are that often shorter queues, can be cheaper and the cars are very close to the desks. On swiss side need to take a bus to the multi story car park where the hire cars are or fair walk with luggage. Negatives of french side are that it is quite a trek in the airport with luggage and some people struggle to find it. Plus the lack of winter tyres and more difficult road access. Depending upon individual preferences the decision will be different.

Yes I now the route to Morzine aroung Geneva lake and it's a real beaufifull way to reach Morzine !
I always balance Geneva and Lyon. Usually cheaper flight tickets to Geneva but car rental is so huge in comparaison. Overall total cost use to show be a better bargain with Lyon even if in Lyon winter tyres are not there but chains can be rent...
snow report
Quote:

Negatives of french side are that it is quite a trek in the airport with luggage and some people struggle to find it.

UM! that IMHO is one of the big plusses of the French side. If you only have hand luggage, which I often have, it is a very short walk to airside and there is never a queue at the security desk. From dropping the car off to being airside is less than 10 minutes. On one occaision my wife left her kindle in the hire car. I was able to walk back to the Swiss side, cross the the border, collect the hire car keys from the desk, stroll down to the car, collect the kindle and walk back. It took about 15 minutes in total. I just find it more conveinent.
snow report
@johnE, what wizardry is this? Whenever I think of Geneva I think of the hideous security snaking queue of death, followed by the cramped airside of no spare seats. Are you telling me there is a way to avoid this?
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, That's why I'm using BA. No queue for check in.

Last time I used EJ from geneva, the queue was over 1 hour. zig zagged all the way through the EJ check in area, past the main entrance and out the rear door.

Never again.
latest report
Was just thinking in case we couldn't go in December because of rules for single jabbed UK children....what are is the charge for changing EasyJet flights? I know you have to pay the change in flight cost and that it is £0 right now, but I think they are re-starting their flight cost charge in October and have forgotten what it might be?

Thanks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5, you can pay the 10chf fast track fee and skip the snake of misery if you like.
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, With EJ hand luggage only I print my boarding passes out in advance. Then from the French side you just follow the marked path to airside. There may be a queue at passport control, but you never really stop moving until you are at the gate. At wich point you just sit on the floor and wait. If you have hold luggage then drop it off at the long EJ queue and if you don't fancy the long security queue just walk through to the French side and in that way.

@brianatab, The trouble with BA is that they only fly to London (or perhaps Manchester). What you save in that queue you lose in the long drive home
ski holidays
Skimum1 wrote:
@Timmycb5, re partial vaccination/recovery don't we also need the NHS app to have this option in order to import it into the French version - and at the moment, the NHS app doesn't recognise vaccinated/recovered? It also doesn't work currently for under 16s.

I am hoping very much this will all be ironed out in time (including second doses being offered to teens who want them - although we've heard nothing at all about first doses yet).

I am in the same position both for skiing and a trip to Greece at half term. My boys (12 and 14) both had covid in August, one has now had his single vaccine the other waiting for his. Greece accept recovery from covid for entry but I can’t find a way of getting proof. 119 said they can’t help but to call the GP for a letter. I contacted the GP over a week ago but not surprisingly haven’t heard anything. The NHS website offers no help for under 16s.
snow report
@LadyDi, it’s unhelpful and I hope they fix it. I have a friend with a 15 year old who is double vaccinated and they can’t prove it either!
snow report
@johnE, Apart from EMA, and Ryanair, who are only 30 minutes away, but I would only use as last resort, I am quite a distance from most airports, but I am also quite lucky that I am roughly equidistant in terms of travel time from a choice. Manchester, Liverpool, Luton, Heathrow and Gatwick, all 3 hours drive. The first 3 also similar train times, so with EJ, the decider has often been convenience of transport and flight times.

I started using BA , previously from Gatwick because I had Avios, but Heathrow is 40 minutes closer, so the move works for me. The ease of check in makes the decider. Plus BA have been much cheaper, with better allowance, as I only have 1 checked (ski) bag
latest report
@Skimum1, Does the NHS app not work for under 18's (not the Covid app)
snow report
@boredsurfin, “ Who can get a digital NHS COVID Pass?

If you're aged 16 or over, you can get a digital NHS COVID Pass for travel. People under 16 may need to show a negative test result. Check the entry requirements for the country you're visiting.”

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/get-digital-covid-pass/
snow conditions
The NHS app works for my 16-yr old - from memory, he has his vaccination record on there and his PCR positive test, from August, which we have also transferred to his French Anti-Covid app, for his Passe Sanitaire... It's all very confusing and possibly contradictory, tho, so I've held off booking anything at Xmas, til the muddied waters become clearer.
snow conditions
The NHS App worked fine in August in France for us just needed to show the second vacs QR code no need to fiddle about with the French app
latest report
snowhound wrote:
@pika1971

Is this lift access regarding passe sanitaire (as opposed to whether lifts are open at all)?
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
snowhound wrote:
@pika1971

Is this lift access regarding passe sanitaire(as opposed to whether lifts are open at all)?
that is my understanding
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
snowhound wrote:
@pika1971

Is this lift access regarding passe sanitaire(as opposed to whether lifts are open at all)?
that is my understanding

Yes, this is what they are waiting on. It might get posponed until just before Christmas. As a precaution all winter staff MUST be vaxinated in advance of the season (I'm going through Ski patrol Job interviews at the moment - Luckily I was vaxed in May n June).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy