Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2021 / 2022

Poster: A snowHead
It appears that the navettes will also be extended to match the new opening times of the Funi.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wills_h wrote:
It appears that the navettes will also be extended to match the new opening times of the Funi.
Where did you see that? I looked at the Les Arcs website this morning and the navette operating hours don't seem to be available yet for this winter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, It said it on the R'Les Arcs la Radio Station Facebook page, not gospel but hopefully it's correct.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wills_h wrote:
@rob@rar, It said it on the R'Les Arcs la Radio Station Facebook page, not gospel but hopefully it's correct.
It would certainly make sense, otherwise extended opening hours of the funicular would only really be of benefit to those staying in Arc 1600.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, indeed, exactly what I thought.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

otherwise extended opening hours of the funicular would only really be of benefit to those staying in Arc 1600.

Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Strange question:

Does anybody know of a snow scooter taxi service with trailer in Les Arcs. (from Vallandry to 1600) Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ipken, It's a bit wierd that it is only Thursday that the funicular runs late. I'll bear it in mind the next time I get the train from Geneva. It gets in shortly after the last funicular.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Does anybody know of a snow scooter taxi service with trailer in Les Arcs. (from Vallandry to 1600)

No, you will need to get the navette from Vallandry to 1800 then again to 1600
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
@ipken, It's a bit wierd that it is only Thursday that the funicular runs late. I'll bear it in mind the next time I get the train from Geneva. It gets in shortly after the last funicular.
I think it might have something to do with that being one of the nights the Folie Douce has it's big party.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar, @195062, Yes the nightclub in 1950, O Chaud is open late, but you pays the price... there are more and varied options up in 2000 where the seasonnaires live, so tends to be more lively overall.

Other bars in 1950 very much depend on the clientele that are in on any given night, and will vary between raucous Karaoke to "a few old men huddled in a corner" ambience, depending on the mood of the patron and patrons on any given night.

But 2000 definitely has life after dark.

@Emrob, As others have said, right now, taxis only after 20:00, and will cost you bigly, as they will come up the hill from Bourg. If you were catching from Bourg to 2000 they charge around €90, so I'd expect similar since they have to drive even further to divert to 1800 to pick you up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks very much for your advice!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Does anybody know of a snow scooter taxi service with trailer in Les Arcs. (from Vallandry to 1600)

No, you will need to get the navette from Vallandry to 1800 then again to 1600

Thanks, that would be interesting with lots of luggage Madeye-Smiley - seems down into the valley and up again is the only choice. rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all, I'm looking for some info about Arc 1800 from you knowledgeable people! Very Happy

We are looking to stay at the Edenarc apartments, for our first family ski trip in April '22.

Our girls will be 9 and 11 years old, and it'll be their first time! (It should have been April 2020 - but we'll forget about that! Eh oh! )
Friends of ours and their kids (12 and 13 years old) are hoping to come along too, they've all skied before.

So I really liked the look of Edenarc, and the fact it had a pool, so could keep the kids entertained when not skiing.
It was on the slope so our friends could ski in/ski out.

But I was wondering about the Dahu lift, would we be able to take this down to where the ski schools meet for lessons?

Any other info for us with kids who are first timers will be greatfully accepted too!

Thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

But I was wondering about the Dahu lift, would we be able to take this down to where the ski schools meet for lessons?

Yes
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Yes

Thanks johnE

Does anyone know what times this lift runs from and til?
snow report
@Katski78, the Dahu lift runs from 8.30am to 11.00pm every day. It does not have big capacity and can have queues to use it at various times of day, so factor this is when you use it to get to ski school lessons.

As an alternative to the Dahu lift there’s also a shuttle bus which runs from Chantel (just a short walk from EdenArc) to the centre of Arc 1800. I assume this is running this season, although I’ve not seen a timetable yet.

It’s also possible to walk down the piste from EdenArc to the centre of Arc 1800, although probably not with kids and ski kit, but for an early evening stroll down to the centre of the resort after skiing it’s perfectly doable.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
@Katski78, the Dahu lift runs from 8.30am to 11.00pm every day. It does not have big capacity and can have queues to use it at various times of day, so factor this is when you use it to get to ski school lessons.

As an alternative to the Dahu lift there’s also a shuttle bus which runs from Chantel (just a short walk from EdenArc) to the centre of Arc 1800. I assume this is running this season, although I’ve not seen a timetable yet.

It’s also possible to walk down the piste from EdenArc to the centre of Arc 1800, although probably not with kids and ski kit, but for an early evening stroll down to the centre of the resort after skiing it’s perfectly doable.

Brilliant @rob@ror
Thanks for the info
latest report
Katski78 wrote:
Brilliant @rob@ror
Thanks for the info
You’re welcome. Hope you have a great time in Les Arcs.
ski holidays
Over on the La Plagne thread these are being discussed for using in queues and on lifts where masks are mandatory. Does anyone know if Les Arcs produce anything similar?

https://boutique.la-plagne.com/en/en-attente-de-nom/souvenirs-de-la-plagne/tour-de-cou-covid-la-plagne
ski holidays
Just because it's nice to see the early snowfall. Not that it will last, but it's still nice to see Happy

Mont Blanc and Deux Têtes

latest report
In this mornings newsfeed from Les Arcs I noticed the following news feature of the resort "The Carreley viewpoint with its panoramic swing will be THE place to stop and chill with you friends and, as a bonus, it has a view of Mont Blanc. " The website announces that it will be at the top of the Vallandry Gondola and will include a mountain animal museum. I look forward to that I haven't seen any stuffed animals for a while.

Meanwhile what is a "panoramic swing"?

More information at https://en.lesarcs.com/news/

@rob@rar, The 1800 livecam shows rain, but then it is still nice to see that winter is just around the corner. Though the rain does remind me that the cheese museum still exists. This is our goto idea for when the weather is too bad to ski
latest report
@johnE, this is the new viewing platform they've built at the top of the Carreley chairlift. It's next to a spot with large 3D letters spelling out "Les Arcs" for those social media sharing opportunities.

snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Looks like they've built a swing, for swinging on! Odd thing to do, but any odder than erecting giant statutes of gorillas which I've seen elsewhere? Laughing Here's the marketing photo:

ski holidays
Thanks @rob@rar, I always thought that area above Vallandry was one of the best beginner areas I've seen and only limited by having to take the Peissey lift back down again. Now it will be expanded with the gondola leading up to it. If anyone asks me where to go in the alps to start skiing I will say Vallandry. Even if they don't want to sit on the swing.

BTW I now see the cheese museum is at 494 Rue des Colombières, it is a bit of a trek from the bottom of the funicular but the navette running around town should get you fairly close.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Thanks @rob@rar, I always thought that area above Vallandry was one of the best beginner areas I've seen and only limited by having to take the Peissey lift back down again.
Yes, that area above Vallandry is terrific for complete beginners, with loads of opportunities for progression, and now made even better by the developments over the summer with the new gondola and a new covered travellator lift. The Mille8 development above Arc 1800 is also terrific for beginners, with that lovely green run through the trees back to the gondola.
latest report

Arc 1950 this moring.

Winter is coming....
latest report
Quote:

The Mille8 development above Arc 1800 is also terrific for beginners, with that lovely green run through the trees back to the gondola.

The reaons I rank the Vallandry area as better
1/ It's higher and has better snow (some of the best in the resort)
2/ It's very wide so no bottle necks
3/ There is no traffic just passing through to get to a lift
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

The Mille8 development above Arc 1800 is also terrific for beginners, with that lovely green run through the trees back to the gondola.

The reaons I rank the Vallandry area as better
1/ It's higher and has better snow (some of the best in the resort)
2/ It's very wide so no bottle necks
3/ There is no traffic just passing through to get to a lift

Have to agree with all that, (although it is quite a while since I was a beginner so not necessarily the best to judge) and it is definitely where I take anyone who wants me to give them some instruction (oops, sorry Mister ESF guy, I meant giving positive support to my mates skiing Toofy Grin )
snow report
I couldn't easily find this timing information on the free pre half day (halfday) afternoon ski in les arcs so for anyone else looking you get this offer when booking your tickets:

Choose to ski more!
Enjoy an Offered half day :

Half a day of skiing free from 12:30pm. The afternoon before the first day of skiing. (With passes of a 6 or more days)

For 0,00 € more.

Regards
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Courtesy of one of my neighbours in Arc 1800, this is the actual panoramic swing, with Mt Blanc in the background.

snow report
Hi all, is anyone else having problems recharging their skipasses online? Or is it just me that finds their site a bloody disaster area?

Think I'm going to end up phoning them...
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, I had to change browser from Chrome to Safari before I could recharge our skipasses.
latest report
Worked without any issues for me. Logged in to my account, which already had my details including the ID number of my pass, selected the season pass I wanted, chose the pay in three instalments option and all done. Used the Safari browser on my Mac.
latest report
So partly , as the IT team would put it, "nut loose on keyboard", and using wrong / old credentials, I finally got in, and created a basket of what I wanted. So it helped all the way up until the checkout, and poof! Computer says no.

Turns out I need to use my new(ish) French CC in an ATM - which of course I haven't because, you know, Covid, before they let me do online transactions. But at least I know what my transaction limit is now (€3000).
So to town this evening, to buy a £5 note at no doubt exorbitant fees, cos there's no euro ATMs anywhere near me, and THEN do it all again. And the basket has emptied during the meanwhile... Oh it is so frustrating at times. #FirstWorldProblems...
Hey! I'm going skiing. what's the problem? Smile
ski holidays
Thanks again to the helpful replies I received when asking questions about our extended stay (6 to 8 weeks) for December/January 22/23. We've settled on Les Arcs in general. Now to pick a village within Les Arcs.
There seems to be some great deals on Airbnb so we'll try to secure one of those. There seems to be great apartments that could comfortably house my 4 Aussies for under $80 euro per night. Has anyone had any problems with booking a long time out on that site? The reviews for the few I have marked are all good. I guess there is always the chance of a scam.......

One of the reasons Les Arcs appeals is the ease of getting down the hill to Bourg for groceries etc. Whilst we will get the Paradiski season pass we will probably have a day out to St Foy/Tignes/La Rosiere so access to the bus at the bottom is important. For this reason Arc 1600 seems best but if the resort shuttle from Arc 1800 is easy and runs early enough that could be an option. I don't think 1950/2000 will be preferable due to the lack of trees which would make snowy weather difficult. So really it's between 1600 and 1800.
We'll be there for Christmas and New Year. Which of those villages will offer best Christmas atmosphere? New Years fireworks? Any pubs with regular English singing musicians?
Thanks in advance.
latest report
Hi am coming over for xmas and cannot wait Toofy Grin but am having a bit of a flap over the lack of forecast snow Puzzled . This probably happens every year for early season people but am hoping to be re-assured by the wiser folk on here!

Snow-forecast.com is saying no snow right up until the limit of my paid subscription at 25th Nov. Accuweather is saying - during the whole of December, snow will only fall between 7-12th Dec at least for Peisey-Vallandry as Les Arcs is not a "place". I've often found in the past, weather apps seem understate the snowfall. Of course snow can be made but its never as good as the real stuff and conditions still need to be right to cannon snow? The resort is due to open on the 11th Dec. When I look at historic charts, they show usually a big dump falling late Nov which kicks things off but is climate change is catching up with us? I still have memories of a post xmas trip to Risoul, about 20 years ago, when we ended up skipping about the hills as there was so little snow.

So in your wise opinion, should we expect minimal skiing conditions or will it be a majestic, white world when we arrive a week before xmas?

thanks
snow report
lazyskier, i'm afraid you're going to have to cross your fingers, chew your nails, consult the tea-leaves, and wait-and-see.
Anything could happen.
Some years wonderful November snow has been all washed away by early December rain.
2011 there was nothing until December 6th, and then we had one of the best season starts ever.
And anything in between.
For us fanatic weather watchers, it is all part of the fun.
snow report
lazyskier wrote:
So in your wise opinion, should we expect minimal skiing conditions or will it be a majestic, white world when we arrive a week before xmas?

This far out it is impossible to say, so although it's difficult I'd say don't give it any thought.

I've skied that week, from the start of the season, for most of the last 20 years and never not had enough snow to ski on piste. In years when there has been a poor start to the season the pistes have relied a lot on snow cannons and the pisteurs moving snow around, but despite the scratchy conditions it's been fun skiing in weather mild enough to enjoy sitting on a terrace soaking it all in. In other years I've had knee-deep cold powder and endless opportunities to lap around get fresh tracks as the resort is so quiet. So it can be poor or it can be brilliant, but most years it is somewhere in between those two extremes. On the 14th November it is not possible to say what it will be like on the 14th of December.

A few years ago it snowed extremely heavily in early November. There was at least 50cm of snow at resort level in Les Arcs, I remember having to force my way through it when out for a walk. But then it got dry and warm for six weeks, so by the time the resort opened for skiing much of the snow had disappeared at the ski conditions were worse than average for that time of year. That dashed the hopes that everyone had built up seeing how much snow there was in early and mid November. Conversely, I've skied in the Three Vallees in the opening week of the season, around the 8th December. One year the pistes were still green five days before everything was due to open, but it started to snow and came down solidly for a few days, so by the time of the opening day the snow was immense.
snow report

11 November 2016

11 November 2016

23 December 2016
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy