Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2021 / 2022

Poster: A snowHead
sbooker wrote:
Paradiski seems to have an advantage over Tignes given there seems to be more trees and hence better visibility on snow days. Would that assessment be correct?

Depends. There is no tree skiing at all to speak of at Tignes. So on snowy days yeah you are buggered. Paradiski it will depend where you are located to some extent. The best tree skiing for me is either side of the Vanoise Express so if you are located there it's ideal. If not you need the links open to get there. If you are there for 7 weeks I am guessing you will have occasional non-skiing days. If you make those days when they weather is doing it's worse then I'm not sure it's much of an issue. For me, going for a week in the heart of winter it's more of an issue.

sbooker wrote:
Would supermarket food prices be the same in all areas?

Yes

sbooker wrote:
I see Snoworks does weekly ski courses out of Tignes. Does Paradiski offer something similar?

Am I missing something, I see courses listed for La Plagne: https://www.snoworks.co.uk/ski-resorts/la-plagne/

sbooker wrote:
The idea for the seven week break is to chill out so nightlife etc isn't important but a brew or two at the local pubs and the odd night out would be great.
Would all the resorts mentioned be equally as busy? To be honest we would take a diversion to Paris the new year week.

Val D'Isere is the place with most nightlife. Rest of the places in Killy and Paradiski much of a muchness.

sbooker wrote:
Which area might host Snowheads the most? Having someone to ski with is always nice.

There are people resident in both areas that would be happy to meet up.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boredsurfin, yes, I can see where you're going on the prices... so what we've decided is:

Season pass at Essential level with the 20% discount for early booking for me
2x owner 'points weeks for Mrs Roll (Essential) - free - plus one samedijeski in the middle (€37.. or thereabouts) + 1 Classic week (11th Dec - no Vanoise open, hence pointless going for Essential) with 10% discount
Miniroll Probably a la carte, but isn't coming out until end of season, so we can decide later...

Coo its complicated.

@sbooker, I'm going to favour Paradiski over Val /Tignes, cos that's my home stretch, although I do love skiing up the road in Val/ Tignes too. One thing that might work well for you is to base yourself in Bourg St Maurice during your exploratory trip: its what we did last (well, last last...) season when on a 'boys trip'. You are very easily able to ski Les Arcs, La Plagne, Tignes, Val, St Foy, La Rosiere (and Thuille) - Val being the furthest at about an hour's drive, down to just 7 mins on the funicular to Les Arcs.

And maybe 90 mins up to the 3 Valleys for a quick look around.

We're out last two weeks in March, so would be very happy to show you around Les Arcs / La Plagne. As you can probably tell there's quite a few Snowheads who own apartments in the two, and the banter is quite common, with each tribe defending their own patch: but in reality, we all love the domain as a whole.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sbooker, in general I don't think there is a big enough difference in the skiing and the 'living' to favour one location over the other. They both offer a bit of everything for most people. You're right to point out that Les Arcs/La Plagne has more tree-lined terrain available for bad weather days than Tignes/Val d'Isere, balancing that Tignes/Val d'Isere has more terrain at high altitude for times when the snow conditions are very marginal. But overall, whichever you choose will offer you great ski opportunities for a full or partial season. Aprés-ski I think the same applies, especially if it's a few beers in a bar that you're after rather than clubbing until the small hours. There's probably a larger English-language community in Tignes/Val d'Isere if that's important, but plenty of people in that category in Les Arcs/La Plagne as well. There are snowHeads full-time or part-time in both ski domains, not large in number I think but usually welcoming to other regulars on the forum. So with all that in mind, I'd say make your choice based on the best deal (price and location) for accommodation that you can find. Everything else should drop in to place.

Will you have a car for the duration? For me the more important question is not which of the resorts stands out for you, but the choice of resort v. valley town. Basing yourself in Bourg Saint Maurice will provide a different set of options compared to basing yourself in one of the high altitude ski stations, but I'd only want to do that if I had my own transport.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, As an apartment owner in Arc1600 I am obviously biased.

Yes, Les Arcs has a fair bit of tree skiing but I think Tignes has slightly the better skiing for late March.

I think shop prices in Les Arcs are slightly cheeper than Tignes. Afterall it is a simple matter to jump on the funicular with a rucksack and do your shopping in Bourg st Maurice. I do it for the variety of choice not for price. Since you are planning to be in Les Arcs over Christmas Bourg offers at least 3 different types of oyster whereas there is only one variety in Arc 1600.

I don't know about Tignes but in Les Arcs there will be some of us around at various times over the year. I'll be there for two weeks from Dec 22nd and again from the end of March (possible to the seasons end). If you want to be shown around a bit then please get in touch with one of us. We have snowheads in 2000, 1950, 1800, 1600 and of course Snowcrazy everywhere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arctic Roll, I'm also thinking of getting a winter only season pass for 736€ as opposed to the 798€ for adding the summer season. As I see that it is 3 days of summer passes. In a normal summer we only use the lifts for 2 days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
denfinella wrote:
@sbooker, based on your description I think you'd be happy in either ski area. I find that Val d'Isere is not such a good place for blue run skiers compared to Tignes and Paradiski, but it sounds like you are past that stage. For red runs, I would probably base myself in Val or Les Arcs, but Tignes / La Plagne would be perfectly fine too.

Your remark about tree cover is spot on (probably more important in December / January then in March).

Supermarket prices in the resort villages are likely to be similar. Valley towns (e.g. Bourg St Maurice) will be cheaper.

Val d'Isere is the liveliest of the bunch for a night out, but if you're just looking for a few drinks you'd be fine anywhere.

Anecdotally I've found that accommodation prices tend to be a little cheaper in Paradiski compared to Val / Tignes.

I would expect all the resorts above to be fairly busy at Christmas / New Year, quiet in January and fairly quiet in late March. Not much difference between them, and there are quieter sectors in each of the ski areas where you can escape the crowds.

Having been based in Val d'Isere, Arc 1800 and Belle Plagne over the years (I think!), I reckon they all have really good skiing. They aren't cheap - that's why I haven't been in the last few years.

Why haven't you looked at the 3 Valleys out of interest?

Thanks for the reply. It's helpful.
I don't know why I haven't checked out the 3 Valleys. I guess I'll have a look. I perhaps incorrectly had the feeling it's more touristy and commercial if that's possible. Less 'local' population?
As previously mentioned we would probably not hang around for the New Year week. We will probably take a train to Paris for that week. I guess while we're in France we should check out the big smoke.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Layne
Thanks. Their doesn't appear to be any Snoworks courses until very late January. And that appears to be geared toward oldies. for 22/23 we will be there early season until the very end of January. The idea would be to have some instruction early on in the holiday so that instruction could be used for most part of the holiday.
I'm guessing there must be other similar things in Paradiski? I think the UCPA thing is all inclusive? I don't think they offer instruction only?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
@sbooker, in general I don't think there is a big enough difference in the skiing and the 'living' to favour one location over the other. They both offer a bit of everything for most people. You're right to point out that Les Arcs/La Plagne has more tree-lined terrain available for bad weather days than Tignes/Val d'Isere, balancing that Tignes/Val d'Isere has more terrain at high altitude for times when the snow conditions are very marginal. But overall, whichever you choose will offer you great ski opportunities for a full or partial season. Aprés-ski I think the same applies, especially if it's a few beers in a bar that you're after rather than clubbing until the small hours. There's probably a larger English-language community in Tignes/Val d'Isere if that's important, but plenty of people in that category in Les Arcs/La Plagne as well. There are snowHeads full-time or part-time in both ski domains, not large in number I think but usually welcoming to other regulars on the forum. So with all that in mind, I'd say make your choice based on the best deal (price and location) for accommodation that you can find. Everything else should drop in to place.

Will you have a car for the duration? For me the more important question is not which of the resorts stands out for you, but the choice of resort v. valley town. Basing yourself in Bourg Saint Maurice will provide a different set of options compared to basing yourself in one of the high altitude ski stations, but I'd only want to do that if I had my own transport.

We would not have a car. I am generally a fan of staying in valley towns and commuting to nearby resorts but I think for this purpose staying near snow will work better and provide that great atmosphere that everybody loves.
As a local you may be able to tell me if there is any gyms in Les Arcs that are open to the paying public? (Yes I understand some will think wanting to exercise while on a skiing holiday is strange but it's my thing and the duration will be 7/8 weeks. If it was a week or two only I wouldn't think about it).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
@sbooker, As an apartment owner in Arc1600 I am obviously biased.

Yes, Les Arcs has a fair bit of tree skiing but I think Tignes has slightly the better skiing for late March.

I think shop prices in Les Arcs are slightly cheeper than Tignes. Afterall it is a simple matter to jump on the funicular with a rucksack and do your shopping in Bourg st Maurice. I do it for the variety of choice not for price. Since you are planning to be in Les Arcs over Christmas Bourg offers at least 3 different types of oyster whereas there is only one variety in Arc 1600.

I don't know about Tignes but in Les Arcs there will be some of us around at various times over the year. I'll be there for two weeks from Dec 22nd and again from the end of March (possible to the seasons end). If you want to be shown around a bit then please get in touch with one of us. We have snowheads in 2000, 1950, 1800, 1600 and of course Snowcrazy everywhere.

Having easy access to BSM would be an advantage I agree.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had a place in BSM for many years - allowed easy access to Arcs (of course, via funi)) but also LP, Val (45 mins) , Tignes (30 - 50 mins, La Rosiere (15 mins, via Les Ecudets lift) and 3V is 45 mins away (Le Praz) or an hour to Meribel or Les Menuires.

If you are a group, have transport or are looking to keep costs down BSM is #1. Good restaurants, bars and supermarkets.

Les Arcs is similar terraine (but smaller) than Tignes/Val - great terrain for better skiers

ESK (Tignes/Val) is #1 ski area - brilliant and always investing in lift infrastructure

La Plagne is similar to 3V - more blues and reds

All areas have great off piste - but again I would favour ESK and Paradiski every time

Just my views with 35 years skiing there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sbooker wrote:
I don't know why I haven't checked out the 3 Valleys. I guess I'll have a look. I perhaps incorrectly had the feeling it's more touristy and commercial if that's possible. Less 'local' population?

I think all the resorts you are considering are very touristy and commercial wink unless you end up in one of the quiet satellite villages (e.g. Villaroger or St Bon - but with far worse access to the ski areas!).

Not that touristy is necessarily a bad thing!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sbooker wrote:
As a local you may be able to tell me if there is any gyms in Les Arcs that are open to the paying public? (Yes I understand some will think wanting to exercise while on a skiing holiday is strange but it's my thing and the duration will be 7/8 weeks. If it was a week or two only I wouldn't think about it).
There's a small public gym in Arc 1800, a part of the pool and leisure centre, which I think has the usual range of strength and cardio kit. Can't comment on how good it is as I've never used. You can but a pass per visit, multi-visit ticket, or buy a season pass for various parts of the leisure centre or for the entire thing. Details here

A number of hotels across the different villages also have small gyms, but I'm not sure if these are open to non-residents.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sbooker wrote:
@Layne
Thanks. Their doesn't appear to be any Snoworks courses until very late January. And that appears to be geared toward oldies. for 22/23 we will be there early season until the very end of January. The idea would be to have some instruction early on in the holiday so that instruction could be used for most part of the holiday.
I'm guessing there must be other similar things in Paradiski? I think the UCPA thing is all inclusive? I don't think they offer instruction only?

Not used them personally but these guys have been mentioned a few times on here:

https://www.oxygene.ski/product/la-plagne-adult-group-ski-lessons-steep-deep/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. Very helpful.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dad and Daughter snowboarders heading for Les Arcs - Feb Half Term 22
We like cruising blues with a little off-piste on the sides.
Like to eat out at different places.
Recommendations for accommodation ? (hotel B&B or self catered)
2000 - good ski in/out but not a lot of restaurant variety?
1950 - artificial or beautiful ? easy to get in and out of ?
1800 - great nightlife but crowded in the mornings ?
snow conditions
I have a place in 1800 so am biased
it has lots of places to eat and a few bars plus it now has the Folie Douce and stuff going on in the village
its also near the middle of the Paradiski map so easy to get over to L Plagne if you fancy it

At night I sometimes walk round to Vallandry to try the bars and eating over there. You walk down a closed track which is nice and its about 30 mins ish. There is free shuttle either way from Villard end of 1800

everywhere will be busy at half term so expect queues in all the resorts as some point
the key to be out when the rest are in a bar/lunching

2000 to me always seem dead
1950 is like a toy town with a range of bars and shops but they all feel a bit sterile and more part of a corporate structure then 1600 or 1800
I dont know how easy it will be to get accom in any of the resorts at half term as its also the french half term as well
snow report
@pical, Taking Feb 5th as the start of half term there is still plenty of self catering accommodation available and hotel space but at a price. For example 7 nights in the taj i mah would cost over £2000, whereas a 2 person studioarounf 600€. May I suggest you visit the resort web site to search for accommodation.

Just a couple of comments about your selected villages.

2000 - I see you are snowboarders - there is quite a bit of flat terrain around 2000. There is perhaps more restaurant choice in 2000 than other villages with the high end taj i mah offerring an excellent looking menu and the chalet d' arc offering a different experience. My memeory of staying there is that there are some busy bars.

1950 - oddly though I ski in Les Arcs upto 20 days a year I know very little about what goes on here. We usually ski past it. It is, however, very easy to get into and out off on skis

1800 - probably the best night life and the a good choice of restaurants. Have an evening meal in the Arpette and ski back in the dark - there used to be a tex-mex restaurant as well. Mille-8 gives evening activities and as @ipken, points out the folie douce serves some pretty good food as well as beer. Check your accommodation location a lot of it lies some way below the first lifts. With the new Carroley lift I don't think it is any more crowded in the mornings than the other villages. We often take the navette from 1600 to experience the evening pleasures of 1800
latest report
I think Sat 12 and Sat 19 are starting Saturdays of the most common UK half terms next year.

1950 and 2000 are linked by a pedestrian lift that runs late so you can dine in the other easily enough. The 1950 ones wouldn’t quite give you a different place each night for a week, I don’t think, but between them and 2000 you may get a week of different places. Down in 1800/1600 (with the bus to the other) would be a wider choice of eateries, though.
snow report
Hi Les Arcs experts!
I’ve booked in a group of 22 to come to Les Arcs 1800 towards the end of Jan (wed-Sat). I may have taken advice from some of you when booking, so thank you already and for the info at the top of this thread.

I am now looking at fixing transfers from GVA and the best price seems to be £925 return from Alps to Alps. These seems pretty reasonable to me. Does anyone have anyone know this company or have any recommendations for anyone who might be able to match/ beat this price?

Many thanks?
snow report
@EdYarker, Sorry I cannot help. Since there are usually only a few of us we usually either: hire a car for 3 or more, or take the train when there is only one's wife and one. However the price you got for the transfer looks very good to me.
snow report
Oh dear, I think the price looks exceptionally good because I made a typo! There are actually just 12 of us going, but I still think it’s reasonable.

Thanks
snow conditions
EdYarker wrote:
Hi Les Arcs experts!
I’ve booked in a group of 22 to come to Les Arcs 1800 towards the end of Jan (wed-Sat). I may have taken advice from some of you when booking, so thank you already and for the info at the top of this thread.

I am now looking at fixing transfers from GVA and the best price seems to be £925 return from Alps to Alps. These seems pretty reasonable to me. Does anyone have anyone know this company or have any recommendations for anyone who might be able to match/ beat this price?

Many thanks?

Hey EdYarker - We use Alps2Alps every year. I've always been super happy with them. We've been to Chamonix, Morzine, La Clusaz and Les Arcs with them. Always been reliable, even at silly hours (we only landed at around 10pm the last time we went in 2020 so ended up at hotel in Arc 1800 at around 1am. There's generally only 4 of us, so not quite as large a party as yours, but then we under-occupy a mini-bus, so the price per person is a bit more for us.
latest report
@EdYarker, last time we went to Les Arcs we paid about £1000 for return transfers for 11 or 12 of us, with Coolbus, so your quote sounds pretty reasonable.
ski holidays
@yllen, and @PaulO78, thanks for your replies. They give me the confidence to go ahead and book.
I will be viewing this thread with increasing excitement as we get towards the end of January!
Thanks again
latest report
Used to use Silver Ski and Mountain Sun for holidays, sadly both gone now Sad
Any package holiday recommendations for Les Coches for a week catered?
latest report
Does anyone have experience of staying in Le Relais de la Vanoise in Bourg please? I've not stayed in Bourg before and am looking for somewhere to stay for a week over New Year. I''d be interested to hear of any direct experience of the place. TIA.
snow conditions
@wills_h, you might do better with this question in the Resorts zone or Piste zone, rather than Snow Reports. (By chance I will be there for one night in 37 days time, but never been there before so can't help)
latest report
@snowball, Thanks for the advice, I put the question on this thread because as you'll be aware quite a lot more gets discussed here than simply the Snow Report. Anyway let me know what you think after your stay. I'd be interested to know what you think Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wills_h, Sorry, don't know that one.

Have stayed at both l'Autantic and Base Camp Lodge. Both are fine: The former has larger rooms and a swimming pool/spa; the latter is newer, the more lively, closer to facilities and would be my choice when / if next staying in BSM.
ski holidays
Question - Will be in Les Arcs 2000, and drive a hybrid car. Unfortunately the battery doesn’t like to be drained fully for 6 days, so need a couple of hours of top-up somewhere. Is this possible anywhere in Arc 2000? I know that the Mont Blanc carpark has chargers for electric cars, but seems to be reserves for fully electric cars.
snow report
@wills_h, My dad stayed there a couple of years back. Totally fine and the guy who owns it is a nice bloke. Restaurant in there isn't too shabby either.
snow conditions
Hi, does anyone know what the shuttle buses are like between villages?? Staying in arc 2000 in jan and wondering if I’d be able to get back from arc 1800 after a night out or even after the lifts close?
snow report
@Emrob, This link has the links to last years timetables:
https://www.seelesarcs.com/buses#var_3824
snow report
Emrob wrote:
Hi, does anyone know what the shuttle buses are like between villages?? Staying in arc 2000 in jan and wondering if I’d be able to get back from arc 1800 after a night out or even after the lifts close?
You’d need to be away from Arc 1800 before 8pm in order to catch the last shuttle from 1600 to 2000, so it’s not really designed for people to have a full night out in a village they are not staying at. The journey time could be over an hour from 1800 to 2000 if you don’t get a quick connection in 1600. I think you’d be better off with apres-ski in 2000/1950 than trying to visit 1800.
snow conditions
Thank you v much! Are you able to get taxis do you know? And what’s the apres like in 2000/1950? Is it any good?
ski holidays
@timlongs, Cheers, you've helped set my mind at rest.
ski holidays
Emrob wrote:
Thank you v much! Are you able to get taxis do you know? And what’s the apres like in 2000/1950? Is it any good?
Not sure about taxis between resorts. There’s not much travel between the resorts after the ski day, so there’s not much demand for taxis to be around for that kind of business. I can’t recall seeing taxis waiting for a fare, so I think you’d need to book in advance.

Can’t help with apres in 1950/2000 as I’m based in 1800, but there seems to be a reasonable number of bars to choose from, and I think an nightclub in 1950 (you’d need to hike back up the piste after hours though).
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Can’t help with apres in 1950/2000 as I’m based in 1800, but there seems to be a reasonable number of bars to choose from, and I think an nightclub in 1950 (you’d need to hike back up the piste after hours though).

Cabriolet (pedestrian lift) runs between 1950 and 2000 until 11.30 pm. No idea what the nightclub is like - not my scene!
snow conditions
@Emrob, As others have said you would need to leave Arc1800 before 20:30 if the navettes follow the schedule of previous years. It is a long journey around the mountain, perhaps taking an hour. It's definately doable if you miss the last lift or stay at the follie douce for an apres ski drink.

You could get a taxi. It would have to come up from Bour st Maurice and I suspect cost over 50€. It may be cheeper to try and find a hotel in 1800 or to doss in the many public spaces. However, I assume that you want a night out in 1800 to see friends. Why not sleep on their floor?

Though I have walked back to 1600 after a night out in 1800, which was a pleasant walk in the moonlight at 03:00, I really would not reccomend the walk from 1600 to 2000 at that time. There is a significant avalanche risk on that path,
ski holidays
Just had my daily check of the cameras in resort and noticed on the site that the funicular is open 7.30am to 9pm and until 11pm on Thursday. They have reduced the price to 5 euro return

A long gripe of mine has been that, unless you drive, you couldnt eat out late in Bourg and get the Funi back home. There are lots of places to eat in resort but having Bourg as an option seems a good move.
That now looks like it will happen subject to when/if the funi will actually open
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy