Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2021 / 2022

Poster: A snowHead
@Arctic Roll, I have always assumed that Claire Blanc stopped where it reached the blue run and was rather suprised to discover more red piste below it. At this point we tend to take the off piste between the runs searching out pits of powder. Suprisingly you will sometimes find waist deep powder days after a snowfall.

I am not too fond of the bottom section of Vagere below the Belvedere - probably because one day I hit the bumps at speed, fell and tore of my acromion ligaments. It is a major highway and gets pretty worn and hard packed Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all,

Does anyone know what has happened to BKM (Bar King Mad) in arc1800? It was bought by the owners of Le Cabane Des Neiges restaurant in 1800. Have they opened their new venture yet at BKM? Just booking my restaurants for April and I love Cabane Des Neiges so will try their new one.

Many thanks

Charlie
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Macker13, Yes, I've been told it’s called ramene ta braise.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So France has relaxed it entry restrictions for UK travellers from Friday, which is great. But we still need to do pre-flight testing if fully vaccinated.

I'm assuming that if flying into Geneva, and travelling on to Les Arcs that we'll have to satisfy the entry criteria for both Switzerland and France. From my research this morning it looks like a Rapid Antigen test taken 24h before will suffice for both countries, so no need to pay for a full PCR. Switzerland requires a PCR 72h before or Antigen 24h before. France just requires negative test (PCR or Antigen) 24h before. Is that right?

Does anyone have any intel/knowledge/experience/advice of what's best? Better to go for full PCR and just pay the cash or are the Antigen tests OK for both countries?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Antigen totally fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi everyone - just booked in LA1800 for first week of March - replay of the week we lost when the first lock down started...
Its 15 years since any of the group going managed a full week in LA1800 - now BKM have gone + restrictions are in place what's the après looking like?
Anywhere doing live music, where's good for food, Red Hot still going, can you still go to L'Arpette + ski down late??? Had a quick look in Apres forum / thread and didn't a lot of current info so all inputs gratefully received Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JP Wolf, The Red Hot has gone as well. I understand that JP who owns the B4 cafe has now bought what was Abiento that's basically the only sizeable bar over the villard side now. I don't think restrictions allow for live music at the moment but obviously that could change between now and March. There is now a Follie Douce just above 1800 but that only stays open till 8pm most evenings I think. Other bars I would recommend would be Chez Bou Bou or the JO, although to be honest I've not spent much time in the latter for many years. The Arpette is still there although not sure they are currently doing their apres evenings. Restaurants I like at the Cabane Des Neiges, (these are also the guys who have turned BKM into a new restaurant, see posts above) and I've been told that their new one is also very good. There's also a restaurant called L'Auris or similar which I really like. If you're looking for a piste side restaurant my ersonal favourite is the Beliou du fumee near Arcs 1950 or Chalet D'Arc near 2000. I'll be able to tell you more in a couple of weeks as am due to go on the 27th and I can't frickin wait!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@wills_h, @JP Wolf, and the buses are running significantly later, so you can explore the options in all the villages to a far greater extent than before.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arctic Roll, True, I'd forgotten about that is it till 11pm? In which case I'd also recommend the Mont Blanc over in Vallandry, it's a relatively short hop on the bus which goes down a fire access road, the road isn't open to the public and I believe the bus stops pretty close to the bar. I don't really know the other stations too well. I'm sure there are some good options in them although I think the bus trip to/from 1950/2000 can take about an hour each way (might be exaggerating a little).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@wills_h @Arctic Roll thanks for the info - all updates on current / changing situations in town / on the hill are much appreciated. Most of the gang are happy with a few beers off the slope and a venture out a few nights in the week... we're stopping up near Eden Arc and although beer jackets might propel us back up the hill occasionally (post Dahu) we'll probably be in bed most nights before then Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@wills_h, I guess its the transfer at 1600 that will add time for an 1800 excursion to 2000. But yes, it feels like 25 mins each for the two legs, plus exchange time.

But if someone wanted to explore 2000 / 1950, I'd suggest going straight off the piste (it is, after all, 'apres ski', not 'apres shower, snooze, a quick catch up on social media and a bite to eat...' Smile ), and then getting the navette back.

Looking at the timetables, https://www.arc1950.com/en/come-to-arc-1950.html they run later on a Thursday, but to get from 200 - 1800, you'd need to catch the 10pm out of 2000.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also posted in the Feedback on Covid Enforcement thread.

Has anyone used Ski a la Carte in France this year? Wondering if I'll need to take it along to lift pass office to have Covid status linked to it before using it on the lifts. Hoping to get to Les Arcs this weekend, though not yet absolutely confirmed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@wills_h, the Folie has announced that for the time being it will close at 6pm rather than 8pm. That might change as Covid numbers improve, but no announcement as to when that might be.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For those coming out soon, it’s very quiet and the on piste conditions are very good.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rob@rar, Thanks, hadn't seen that, but then I really don't expect to be spending too much time there, rather old for that sort of thing these days Laughing
ski holidays
@wills_h, never too old for the Folie Douce!

For those with kids there’s a new activity at the Altiport restaurant. Electric powered mini skidoos.

snow report
Apparently not for little kids.

snow report
Quote:

For those with kids there’s a new activity at the Altiport restaurant. Electric powered mini skidoos.

Not sure why you have to have kids to enjoy yourself Sad

Sadly I cannot make it out to Les Arcs at the end of January, by the time France opened up someone had rented my apartment. Instead we will go to La Rosiere for the week for a change. We have to call past the apartment, however, to collect our skis, clothes and other equipment.

I'll wave across the valley to everyone.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, noted, if you're out between the 29th and the 5th I'll buy you a beer there one afternoon. Also those bikes look awesome!
snow conditions
@195062, Miniroll has used the a la carte this winter, no bother: to be honest, no need to link Covid status or anything to any pass. All ours ( one a la carte, one season, one week of standard and 2 weeks of Essentials) were re-loaded onto cards here in the UK during the pre-Nov. discount period: we just left the boot room and straight onto the lifts.

You just show your TAC or NHS QR code on your phone or paper when/if asked.

@johnE, we too cancelled the Jan trip before they told us we could have come (bah) but are still planning on being there on 19th March for 2 weeks.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, Thank you. Good to know. All a bit of a rush, as P & V only confirmed today that my apartment in 1950 is available for me to use next week. Cue sorting out travel insurance (lapsed after end of Nationwide Flex insurance), Eurotunnel, stop en route for Friday and pre-departure/post-return tests. First time away since March 2020 - hope the knees will cope with the lockdown-enlarged waistline.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, we might overlap for a couple of days. I'm thinking of coming out for a couple week from Wednesday 30th. Fancy a drink?
snow report
@johnE, Absolutely. My place or yours? Eh oh!
snow conditions
Anyone out there at the moment? Are the pistes holding up or are they already bare and scraped? This dry spell is a real bummer.
snow conditions
They’re holding up pretty well, and are mostly in decent condition. Some of the very busy sections are getting a bit polished, but that’s a small proportion overall. It’s quieter than I’d normally expect this time of year.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
They’re holding up pretty well, and are mostly in decent condition. Some of the very busy sections are getting a bit polished, but that’s a small proportion overall. It’s quieter than I’d normally expect this time of year.

Thanks Rob, hopefully will stay a bit quieter this week, a bit gutted that my first trip in 2 years is to an unusually dry spell which doesn't seem to be changing but at least it will be sunny. I'm going to look pretty silly riding around on my Dupraz D1 haha.
snow report
@Minion1980, there is been a dusting of fresh snow over the last two nights, but not enough to change piste conditions. I think many people would consider conditions at the moment to be just about ideal: quiet, lovely weather, all lifts open, and on-piste conditions generally good. Not so good for those who want to ski fresh snow of course, but I’ve had a very nice few days nevertheless.
ski holidays
We'll be traveling from Australia in March and will be in Les Arcs 1800 for the week starting March 13. I understand there is oodles of mountain to keep us busy for a week but I'm wondering if it is realistically possible to catch the funicular down to Bourg early one morning and then a public bus for a day skiing in La Rosiere/La Thuille? Lunch in Italy sounds nice.

This is part of a trip to scope out the area for our intended 5 week family holiday at Christmas. (It's just myself and my wife this time). If any Snowheads are around that week and want to show us the 'must dos' in Paradiski that would be great.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sbooker, perfectly feasible. You can see La Rosiere from Les arcs and the funi down to bourg is quick and frequent.
ski holidays
@sbooker, In the past there has been a shuttle bus from the bottom of the funicular to the bottom lift of the La Rosiere area. I don't know the situation this year. Make enquiries at the lift office in Les Arcs. When I asked a few years ago the office staff phoned around on my behalf checking, amongst other things if my season pass entitled me to a discount in La Rosiere. Lunch in Italy is certainly feasibe.

I'm sorry but I'll not be in Les Arcs until the end of March so will be unable to show you around. There is suffcient skiing in Les Arcs to keep anyone happy for a week. I
ski holidays
@sbooker, As per the others - perfectly feasible. See here for the timetable for funicular and connecting shuttle buses between it and 1800 https://www.arc1950.com/en/come-to-arc-1950.html ( and 2000 / 1950 as well) .

There are buses to La Ros from the BsM combinbed bus/train/funicular station too - but not all that often... a taxi may be a better bet.

https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/sites/default/files/Bourg%20St%20Maurice%20to%20La%20Rosiere%202021-22%20winter%20bus%20timetable%20-%20French.pdf

You should aim for the Ecudets chair lift, which is only about 5 miles out of Bourg, just a little way up from Seez, but takes you into the resort far quicker than road with its the multiple hair-pins all the way.

You can buy your lift pass there too, and download at the end of the day if the snow doesn't go that low.
Make sure you get a San Bernardo pass which includes Italy, and is only a few euros more.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll has basically said everything I would suggest i.e. taxi and Ecudets. Have done trip from Les Arcs over to La Rosiere a couple of times, but as I always drive down I've used the car for it. End of the day bus time from La Rosiere might tie in more easily than in the morning, but don't get stranded.
snow report
Thanks all.
snow conditions
Hi all, can anyone recommend a good bootfitter in Les Arcs or BSM? I've seen this asked in a few threads but figured people have probably come and gone in the past two years, so I would love an up-to-date recommendation. Is Labo Shop still the go to?

If all goes to plan I'll be arriving in 1950 next Saturday. Our group are renting from Precision Ski so if they have a good fitter that would be a bonus.

Cheers!
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
Thanks all.

Looks like there is a free shuttle from Bourg to the Ecudets lift? I can’t speak let alone read French.
https://seez.fr/horaires-navette/
snow report
Conditions in Les Arcs have been pretty good this week, considering the lack of new snow. It’s been like April for most of the time but there are still some little bits of off-piste skiing, albeit not of the soft, fluffy variety. Varet skied very well a couple of days ago, and the bumps in the Grand Col are great fun.
ski holidays
I put this in the Tignes section but I’ll put it here too as the week before I’m in Les Arcs-

I’m due to be in the Tarentaise in mid March. I’ve recently read in another part of the forum that “France doesn’t have good beer anyway”.
I’m hoping I’ll be able to get a decent ale while I’m holidaying. Please tell me there is an availability of decent ale (if it’s the crafty IPA type stuff even better). If it is only the watery lager styles I will be abstaining for the week.
snow report
sbooker wrote:
I put this in the Tignes section but I’ll put it here too as the week before I’m in Les Arcs-

I’m due to be in the Tarentaise in mid March. I’ve recently read in another part of the forum that “France doesn’t have good beer anyway”.
I’m hoping I’ll be able to get a decent ale while I’m holidaying. Please tell me there is an availability of decent ale (if it’s the crafty IPA type stuff even better). If it is only the watery lager styles I will be abstaining for the week.

Belles Pintes in 1950 Happy
snow report
sbooker wrote:

It's not a dead loss. There are some smaller breweries turning out stuff a leap away from the light lager that dominates. In larger supermarkets you can find some of them and some Belgian beers. Bars maybe something like Leffe or Affligem. I tend to buy some bottles of Mort Subite, Les 3 Monts, Chimay. But I also drink wine of which there are plenty of decent cheap options for my palate at least.
latest report
Layne wrote:
sbooker wrote:

It's not a dead loss. There are some smaller breweries turning out stuff a leap away from the light lager that dominates. In larger supermarkets you can find some of them and some Belgian beers. Bars maybe something like Leffe or Affligem. I tend to buy some bottles of Mort Subite, Les 3 Monts, Chimay. But I also drink wine of which there are plenty of decent cheap options for my palate at least.

It's no great deal breaker for me as I never drink while skiing - only at the very end of the day. And it's generally just a few prior to dinner.
Buying from the supermarket is fine. Chilling on the balcony with a brew is hard to beat.
And yes I may have a red or even two with dinner. Looking forward to it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy