Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2021 / 2022

Poster: A snowHead
And the opposite kind of example. On 3 December 2012 there was virtually no snow in Meribel in the Trois Vallees (not too far from Les Arcs, with skiing at a similar altitude range), not enough to open the resort in any way. Then it started to snow, and five days later on the opening day of the season it looked like this:

Meribel, 8 December 2012
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sbooker wrote:
... if the resort shuttle from Arc 1800 is easy and runs early enough that could be an option.
Depending on where in Arc 1800 you stay, the shuttle timetable shouldn't be a problem. First shuttle from 1800 to 1600 leaves at 7.30am IIRC, timed to coincide with the first Funicular departure.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jonpim, @rob@rar Good answers! Look like I need to take up some kind of religion Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, I'm not sure what "christmas atmosphere" is but in Arc 1600 christmas usually goes like this:

Christmas Eve, ski parade down to the village by ski instructors wearing father christmas outfits; free vin chaud and cheesey christmas music playing in the village; restaurants selling special dinner menues at inflated prices. Midnight mass

Christmas day, just a normal day Very Happy

New Year's eve; the restaurants have special meals running over several hours and very pricy. There are usually fireworks but I tend to stay in the resaurant drinking champagne, then into the Abrevoir for more celebrations and hugs from assorted females.

The Abrevoir in the past had live music a couple nights a week. Some of the music is sung in english, some is instrumentental and some is plain weird such as a ukelady band that played there one night. Some nights they have karioke but there are other bars so you can avoid this torture.

As you say it is very easy to get down to Bourg st Maurice for shopping or for any other reason. I had a friend who went down and back sitting in the front of the funicular just for the ride.

As to snow - I never get excited by November snow nor worried if the slopes look bare in early December. Worrying about it serves no useful purpose.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sbooker, even if you stay in 1600 (and much as I love drinking with @johnE, I'm mean, you know, he's biassed - just like me!) - see if you can get yourself over to 1950 for the Christmas Eve street festival - have a look at last year's party: https://www.arc1950.com/en/christmas-evening-arc-1950.html

You ought to be able to get a bus back to the other villages: if you really insist on not staying in the best... Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arctic Roll, I was only reporting on what I know. It was never meant as any sort of comparison. I'll try and get over this Christmas eve Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arctic Roll, this looks amazing with myfrenchchallet! We have now booked 1950 and will be there the Christmas week…

Now trying to figure out what ski pass option to choose. We are a family of intermediates with two kids ( almost 8 and 11) .. there kids will be in the ski school hopefully. Not sure if l should go for classic , essential or premium… quite a bit of difference in price. I doubt that we will have time to ski on arrival day so won’t use the 1/2 day free ski pass option but what about priority lines… essential and premium option seems to include it . Are they worth paying extra for? Also if we chose no frills classic option and wanted to ski over to La Plagne one day, how easy it is to pay the extra fee- would mean a lengthly queue in ski pass office…

Also would appreciate any advice on transfers ( looking at bensbus and altibus currently) and ski rental?
Thank you
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bella2015, Christmas week does tend to be quite busy so the queue jumping on the essential would be handy for those not in ski school. Those in ski school will use the ski school priority lane when with their instructor. The queues on some of the key lifts can get rather large, especially first thing in the morning and just after lunch.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given Christmas Day is on Saturday is "Christmas Week" the week of 18th to 25th or 25th to 1st Jan.

I am going the former and not sure I should refer to it as "Christmas Week" Laughing Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We actually going Sun to Sun so 19 to 26 December
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bella2015, The lift queue jumping is very useful on busy weeks and I am expecting Christmas week to be busy. It can be significant and save 5 minutes on the designated lifts. From 1950 first thing in the morning these are Combourciere, Ours and Marmottes.

My wife and me went for season passes (at 736€ a bargin) and our son for an 11 day pass. Though we went for essentials passes we may or may not go to La Plagne but the queue jumping is really useful.

If you have the classic pass and want to go to La Plagne you get the extension at the lift pass office in Peissey. When I last did it there was no queue. You will be suprised how few people travel between the 2 resorts. The Vanoise Express itself is a good experience as is just taking the funicular down to Bourg st Maurice

May I suggest that you buy your lift passes now at https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/happy_weeks_sejour?utm_medium=email&utm_source=NL&utm_campaign=ADS_21_11_EN_CA_COM_005_HAPPYWEEKSLASTCHANCE

This gives a 10% discount on lift passes and after their server crashed yesterday they have extended the deadline to November 17th

I cannot comment on trasfers since we usually drive and the last time we used the train from Geneva to Bourg st Maurice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, thank you… so last day for the discount today? Must hurry up and book then
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, regarding train transfers, how was your experience? Would you recommend with kids?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, noticed that the discount does not actually include family packs so pressure is off to book by today
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

regarding train transfers, how was your experience? Would you recommend with kids?

It was fine, if a little slow, with adults. It was also interesting in that other people were making the journey for other purposes. The jazz trio were having fun with their double bass for example. I would not reccomend it with children. or lots of luggage.
snow conditions
@johnE, out of curiosity does the train go from Geneva via Lyon?
ski holidays
@wills_h, One train takes you to Chamberey where you change trains to the one for Bourg st Maurice. Trains heading for Italy through the Frejus tunnel go via Chamberey. Lyon is a bit out of the way.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@wills_h, One train takes you to Chamberey where you change trains to the one for Bourg st Maurice. Trains heading for Italy through the Frejus tunnel go via Chamberey. Lyon is a bit out of the way.
If the price of car rentals stays stupidly high I think I’ll give the train from GVA a try this year. From what I can tell it’s OK to get to Bourg in time for the funicular service. How modern are the trains? Buffet service and toilets, or rickety rackety things that feel like they might not make it up the hills?
latest report
@rob@rar, I'm not sure of the vintage of the trains. They appear in decent condition (no torn seats etc.). The one from Geneva is a typical French non TGV long distance train and the one from Chambery more of a commuter train. It's the train you would normally take if you were going from London to Les Arcs. I didn't look for a buffet since I ate and drank at Geneva and Chambery stations. The train toilets were clean train toilets. I cannot say anymore.
snow conditions
@johnE, thanks, that’s helpful.
latest report
Hi,

me my wife and twin daughters are off to les arcs 1950 for our families first ever ski trip.

we arrive on the 28th of december.

Im curious as to what snow conditions to expect this time of year and would it make for good skiing?
ski holidays
@Deanatk12, welcome to snowHeads. Snow conditions at that time of year are not predictable this far away, the conditions could be anything from excellent to poor and it can change (particularly for the better) in a short amount of time. Many of the pistes around Arc 1950 / 2000 have snow cannons on them to top-up the natural stuff, and the resort will make sure that slopes suitable for beginners and the least experienced will be in the best condition they can be.

Hope you have a terrific first trip as a family.
snow conditions
Quote:

Im curious as to what snow conditions to expect this time of year and would it make for good skiing?

I have no idea what the snow conditions will be like but I think you will have excellent skiing. Have you done any skiing before? How old are the twins? Are you having any lessons before you go.

I'm sure you will enjoy Arc1950
snow report
@Deanatk12, Welcome.

Arc 1950 is very nice place to be based, with everything just a stone's throw away.

Snow conditions are a lottery - but there should be enough snow to ski on.

Spirit 1950 are an excellent ski school, if you are looking for one.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I have no idea what the snow conditions will be like but I think you will have excellent skiing. Have you done any skiing before? How old are the twins? Are you having any lessons before you go.

I'm sure you will enjoy Arc1950

We have never skied before.

The girls are 9 and can’t wait to get there.

We are having a few lessons at home on a dry slope in Northern Ireland then lessons every morning when we get to Les arcs.

I have no idea what ski school our lessons are with. everything was booked through crystal ski as a package and all info is sent 3 weeks before travel.
snow report
Deanatk12 wrote:

We are having a few lessons at home on a dry slope in Northern Ireland then lessons every morning when we get to Les arcs.

I have no idea what ski school our lessons are with. everything was booked through crystal ski as a package and all info is sent 3 weeks before travel.

Northern Ireland, you say - so that would be Craigavon Dry Ski Slope. Toofy Grin

I strongly suspect your lessons will be with Spirit.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Deanatk12 wrote:

Northern Ireland, you say - so that would be Craigavon Dry Ski Slope. Toofy Grin

Yes, that’s the one.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
I don’t think Spirit exist as such, they were bought out by Evo2 a few years ago.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
I don’t think Spirit exist as such, they were bought out by Evo2 a few years ago.

It must be 15 years since I stayed there - so am not up to date.

Evo 2 are also excellent.
snow conditions
@Deanatk12, we arriving one week before you with similar aged kids ( but boys) and alplanning to book Evo 2 for their lessons. They also have a kids club for the afternoons if kids don’t feel like skiing all day
snow report
For the avoidance of confusion, Spirit and Evo2 are one and the same in the village - 1 supplier, two brands

Evo 2 invested in the original Spirit setup a few years ago, possibly around the same time that ESF rented a local outlet in the village: Vincent the school owner was hopping mad when they did so. He thought he'd bought exclusivity for a lot longer, so it was his 'revenge' move. It gave all the rivals access to both the 2000 and 1950 markets (Spirit wasn't in 2000) without having to double up on admin overhead.

So you'll see both names still around, but you end up in the same place (but afair the instructors wear Evo2 branded jackets these days).

@Deanatk12, welcome to Snowheads, welcome to 1950! You and the family will have a ball. If you ( or @Bella2015) have any questions, feel free to ask here. And, we're out there for opening week so anything that may have changed in the past 18 months (sigh), I'll be able to update.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, thank you … looking forward to it! Do you have recommendations for where to get ski rental from? We are in Prince de Cimes building
ski holidays
@Bella2015, to be fair, all the village outlets are of similar quality and service. There's seven of them within 100 yards of your front door, not ALL tied to the same back-end (although https://www.precisionski-rent.com/ covers 4 of the outlets in the village) so there is some competition, including a new one opening this winter.

On the ground floor of PdC is SkiShop, which may be the most convenient for you https://www.my-ski.fr/en (see https://www.arc1950.com for a full listing of all the outlets) and I've always had good service in there - albeit I have never rented from them (we have our own kit).

But in most cases, it will be much of a muchness, and frankly? I'd go for the biggest online discounts!
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, thank you so much for detailed response! Will go discount hunting:)
latest report
Booked to be in plan Pewsey on 5th Feb..is there any night life there at all ?
ski holidays
@yorkshirelad, go on tell us - where is plan Pewsey
ski holidays
@johnE, @yorkshirelad: Pewsey is south of Swindon and has an excellent shooting range. Plan Pewsey must be nearby…
snow report
@Grinning, is the shooting range called Pew Pew at Pewsey Laughing sorry terrible dad joke!
ski holidays
Auto correct.... plan peisey Little Angel
latest report
Hi! Quick question for the Les Arcs / Peisey experts here: I'm looking into hotel options for a short break in late January, and La Tarine down in Nancroix comes up. I have been to Les Arcs once and I loved the pistes above Peisey, but I am wondering if it will be too much of a hassle to use the Lonzagne lift to get to and from the slopes... thoughts? Otherwise the hotel reviews look excellent, and while I am assuming the place is totally dead at night, this is 100% not an issue.

Any opinion/insight is welcome, thanks!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy