Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2021 / 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Time to kick off a new thread for the coming winter season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The season starts on 11 December 2021 on the Les Arcs side of the Paradlski area. The Vanoise Express will open on 18 December 2021.

The season ends on 29 April 2022 and a week earlier for the Vanoise Express.

For all the latest details on lift passes and other developments in the ski area please visit the Les Arcs web page.

https://en.lesarcs.com/

More Info to follow soon about discounts on Ski passes for the coming season plus updates of works taking place over the last 6 months.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowcrazy, great, I'm looking forwar to it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
seeing this thread start is making it feel real for 21/22

came to the resort in the summer to clear the fridge and freezer and general clean so all set for the start of the season
next step will be watching the live cameras for snow

had a quick look at the ski passes, it looks like no early booking discount for season passes

it looks like the funicular is buggered so buses up from Bourg which sounds like a pain to be avoided
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ipken, They have 20% discount on the Paradiski pass via the La Plagne skipass site, available from 15th October to 15th November.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just marking the thread: apologies for anyone expecting news!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Marking too...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking forward to it - will be there on the 11th December
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone able to get on the Les Arcs website today? I've not been able to reach it at all.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wills_h wrote:
Anyone able to get on the Les Arcs website today? I've not been able to reach it at all.
I tried this morning to see if there was any news of season pass discounts but it just loaded a blank page. Just tried again with the same result.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've now got a message saying the site is down for maintenance
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wills_h wrote:
I've now got a message saying the site is down for maintenance
I think they are working hard to bury any useful information even deeper behind glossy, pointless content and a menu structure designed best for random wanderings.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, Do you remember the little transarc bubbles that used to scroll across the top banner and you had to hover over and click on to see the various sub menus? I'm going back a few years!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wills_h wrote:
@rob@rar, Do you remember the little transarc bubbles that used to scroll across the top banner and you had to hover over and click on to see the various sub menus? I'm going back a few years!
Yes, vaguely remember that. So bad it was funny!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ipken, got a notification (not sure from where!) today that said if you use the train to travel to BSM you'll get a free return ticket on the funicular to continue to the ski-stations (part of their green agenda?). Which sort of implies it will be running again during the winter.

Anyone got any validation on this?
snow report
@Arctic Roll, I've just been told by a reliable local friend that it will be back up and running for the winter season.
snow conditions
@wills_h, @rob@rar: CDA STGM (Tignes) advising their online sales will be reopening 10 Oct 2021 in case Arcs are on the same timeline.
snow report
Or the phase when all the headings on the site were things like "relax", "breathe", "transcend" ?
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
Or the phase when all the headings on the site were things like "relax", "breathe", "transcend" ?
Laughing It's only marginally better than now.

I've often wondered whether the designers for Les Arcs' website (and resort websites more generally) have ever actually visited a ski resort and needed to use the website to find out some basic information.
snow conditions
@stevomcd, almost as bad as having "live, love, laugh" on your living room wall! Sorry I am being a terrible snob.
snow report
In Les Coches at Criggy
snow report
What are other people most looking forward to on arrival after the season that wasn't?
latest report
@wills_h, skiing wink Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
@Layne, well indeed, any particular piste or route? Shocked
ski holidays
@wills_h, for us Les Coches (8 times) and Paradiski (another 8 on top) in general is or most skied place so there are many.

Always look forward to the home runs through the trees at the end of the day or all day if the weather makes vis poor. Skied them so many times but I still love them.

Then there is the off piste routes - along the ridge from Roche de Mio or the opposite drop into the valley, or of the top of Grand Col or Varet on the Les Arcs side - it's a very long list.

To be fair the wife is looking for towards coming off the mountain after a day of exercise and fresh air to tea, madelaine and a hot shower. I am less bothered about the madeleine but like to have a small bottle of Mort Subite or 3 Monts before tea, shower and dinner prep.

Late evening cheese board and games session also something to look forward to.
snow report
@Layne, Sounds good!
snow report
Eurostar marketing hamsters today sent out an email saying that from 3rd Nov. will be taking booking for the whole journey from StP through to BSM with a change in Paris to the SNCF trains. Which is a bit of a bug, as I've:

a) booked the Eurostar bit of our January trip already, now waiting on SNCF to release their tickets
b) 7 days ago asked E-star to cash in my remaining vouchers (from 2019 Covid disruption) as they're "not valid for booking SNCF journeys" but I wonder now that they are doing the whole through-thing they might be.

Sigh, the disadvantage of being too organised!

Meanwhile, Les Arcs website is pushing the few new things in the domain - Obs the zip wire from Varet with restaurant and panorama; a new seating area at Carrely; and the new gondola at Vallandry with terrace area and permanent exhibition about wildlife in the Vanoise. See: https://en.lesarcs.com/news/news-winter-2022.html for details
ski holidays
To whet our appetites:

Les Arcs GB avec son V2 from Les Arcs
https://vimeo.com/609582525
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wills_h wrote:
What are other people most looking forward to on arrival after the season that wasn't?

When we first were at Les Arcs, when the kids were learning, we always used to love the run down from the top of the Bois de L'Ours down Arpette and Belvedere into Vallandry for lunch at the Mont Blanc bar sat outside on the terrace in the sun, before the run home from the top of Grizzly down Foret to the Derby and then down traversee underneath the transarc, catching Vagere before hitting the snowpark then up Arpette to catch the final run home to 2000 down Edelweis.
snow conditions
I've received my email from Les Arc setting out the discounts on season passes and other pass deals. 20% off the season pass. The offer period is 15th October until 15th of November
snow conditions
Thanks @ipken, I had the same too. I wonder if it’ll stack with the tribu discount as there’s 3 of us going.
snow report
having had a quick look, it says Tribu is excluded but I'd have a look on the 15th

In the past our sons have joined us but because of their other commitments its been odd times meaning the normal tickets didn't work

they have used Ski a la carte which offers free and discount days but they are over for five to six days at a time and book last minute so not enough to warrant a season pass
snow conditions
Hi all

Looking at heading to Les arcs for the 8th time this winter. Arriving Boxing Day evening at 9pm. Would taxi's still take you from BSM train station to Arc1800 at that time of night on boxing day? The funicular shuts at 9pm and our train is due to arrive at 8.30pm so should be ok. But if the train is delayed for any reason I'm just thinking what the plan B would be.

Many thanks
snow report
Macker13 wrote:
Hi all

Looking at heading to Les arcs for the 8th time this winter. Arriving Boxing Day evening at 9pm. Would taxi's still take you from BSM train station to Arc1800 at that time of night on boxing day? The funicular shuts at 9pm and our train is due to arrive at 8.30pm so should be ok. But if the train is delayed for any reason I'm just thinking what the plan B would be.

Many thanks

Mkae contact with this guy, very reliable. https://www.taxibourgsaintmaurice.com
latest report
@Macker13, what @thefatcontroller said - the taxis will be around.

Now, a couple of questions for the regulars, that I feel I should know the answers to, but... it's been so long the brain's turned to mush.

A La Carte ski pass. Prices for Les Arcs are showing as 48.50 per day. For Paradiski at €54 50 So I am guessing that if I use the Vanoise, it will add the €6 on, I don't need to sign up for a different type of ALC ticket.

"Essential" pass, which throws in an extra half day. Can we take that at the end of the trip or is it beginning only?

This year's options are a spreadsheet-full for sure: 4 weeks (one of which is prior to Vanoise opening) for me, plus 3 for Mrs Roll, plus 2 for Miniroll (who is unlikely to be skiing full time) .
So is it: Classic + occasional upgrade to get to LP, Essential, A la Carte, Season, and how to best mix and match across the family... not forgetting the old standby, samedijeski Smile Then throw in the 10% discount for booking this month...

And to complicate things even further, we've still got 2 weeks worth of Owners' benefit to use up (bad form on their part, can't use as a discount or part payment, and won't roll forward so my points will get me only 2x 6 days whatever way I try to skin it).

Still, can't complain - it's nice to be planning !!!
latest report
@Arctic Roll, I think ,, Im going to use ski all carte this coming season on my spreadsheet it breaks even at 25 days Season Pass at 22 so for me theres not much in it. One anomaly with Ski a la carte, the out of peak weeks Sunday discount is greater than the ski ala carte price for a Sunday
snow report
@Arctic Roll,

Yes, A La Carte automatically charges the Paradiski price when you go across. Likewise if you head somewhere else: I sometimes drive over to Tignes Les Brevieres (takes about an hour from 1950) and spend the day in Tignes/Val D - just get straight onto lift and Tignes/Val D price is charged. Addition of 3 Vallees this year makes that an easy option now as well. Similarly for Flaine/Grand Massif, where I stayed early Feb 2020, a few weeks before the roof caved in.

Was looking at season discounted prices, but think I'll stick with A La Carte, which I've been using for around 10 years. Although I generally do 3 or 4 weeks over the season (possibly slightly more this winter), I'm less likely to ski every day as I get older (pushing 60), while the convenience for Tignes etc works well for me.
latest report
Quote:

Was looking at season discounted prices, but think I'll stick with A La Carte, which I've been using for around 10 years. Although I generally do 3 or 4 weeks over the season (possibly slightly more this winter), I'm less likely to ski every day as I get older (pushing 60)

Now there's the rub. When you get old enougth that you may not want to ski every day, say 74, there is no discount for age. At the moment I'm 70 and still want to ski every day, so the A La Carte works out as quite expensive. Most of the Tarrentaise resorts give you a 30% discount when you reach 65 and a 100% discount when you get to 75.
ski holidays
Here's as good as anywhere I guess.
My Australian family will be heading somewhere in the Tarentaise at late March 2022 with a view of getting familiar with a largish ski hill as we intend to spend 7 weeks there December and January the next season. My French loving daughter will then do a working season the following year (she'll be 18 by then).
I understand this is the Les Arcs thread but all things considered which area would be most suitable for our needs. I guess we're not wedded to anywhere in particular as costs 'seem' to be pretty much the same between Les Arcs, La Plagne, and Tignes. I've not looked too hard at the 3 Valleys. We can all get around most ski hills but as we've never had any lessons we're probably not good skiers technically. We have done most of our skiing in the US and Canada and are comfortable skiing off the trails and in fresh snow.
Paradiski seems to have an advantage over Tignes given there seems to be more trees and hence better visibility on snow days. Would that assessment be correct?
Would supermarket food prices be the same in all areas?
I see Snoworks does weekly ski courses out of Tignes. Does Paradiski offer something similar?
The idea for the seven week break is to chill out so nightlife etc isn't important but a brew or two at the local pubs and the odd night out would be great.
Would all the resorts mentioned be equally as busy? To be honest we would take a diversion to Paris the new year week.
Which area might host Snowheads the most? Having someone to ski with is always nice.
Any help would be appreciated.
I'll put something similar in the Tignes thread too.
ski holidays
@sbooker, based on your description I think you'd be happy in either ski area. I find that Val d'Isere is not such a good place for blue run skiers compared to Tignes and Paradiski, but it sounds like you are past that stage. For red runs, I would probably base myself in Val or Les Arcs, but Tignes / La Plagne would be perfectly fine too.

Your remark about tree cover is spot on (probably more important in December / January then in March).

Supermarket prices in the resort villages are likely to be similar. Valley towns (e.g. Bourg St Maurice) will be cheaper.

Val d'Isere is the liveliest of the bunch for a night out, but if you're just looking for a few drinks you'd be fine anywhere.

Anecdotally I've found that accommodation prices tend to be a little cheaper in Paradiski compared to Val / Tignes.

I would expect all the resorts above to be fairly busy at Christmas / New Year, quiet in January and fairly quiet in late March. Not much difference between them, and there are quieter sectors in each of the ski areas where you can escape the crowds.

Having been based in Val d'Isere, Arc 1800 and Belle Plagne over the years (I think!), I reckon they all have really good skiing. They aren't cheap - that's why I haven't been in the last few years.

Why haven't you looked at the 3 Valleys out of interest?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy