Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland updates and snow reports 2021-22

Poster: A snowHead
@mountainaddict, from Facebook (yesterday's post):

"We will be open at the weekend (11th & 12th) from 8:30. We hope to open Eagle, Grouse, Carpets and the Buzzard. These will be confirmed in the morning. Limited facilities. Lift passes will only be available at the ticket office. The Rental department, Snow shop and ski school will NOT be available."

Might not be great after today's rain and mild temperatures though - I wouldn't bet my life on all the lifts / runs above still being open for Sunday.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks denfinella.

I wish everyone (particularly businesses) wouldn't assume that absolutely everyone else is posting pictures of their dinner online - ie is on Facebook Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, I think you're thinking of Instagram.

Facebook nowadays is full of old people reminiscing about what they *used* to have for dinner in their childhood Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
mountainaddict, I think you're thinking of Instagram
Not at my former workplace... Very Happy Heard the evidence first hand, as discussed by colleagues: eg "Did you see that stuffed pepper on Facebook that Bob had for his tea?" As well as classics such as "What about poor Sandra losing her car keys last night?;" "Bill took the wrong choice of route home and was stuck in traffic;" and "See Sue has bought 4 new tyres for the car?" Laughing

It was actually probably before Instagram was invented - but was absolutely incessant and switched me off Facebook for life... Confused I'm still receiving counselling...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict
Quote:

but was absolutely incessant and switched me off Facebook for life
but the incessant "helmet" threads on snowheads doesn't seem to have switched you of SH's for life Toofy Grin Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
but the incessant "helmet" threads on snowheads doesn't seem to have switched you of SH's for life
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
Thanks denfinella.

I wish everyone (particularly businesses) wouldn't assume that absolutely everyone else is posting pictures of their dinner online - ie is on Facebook Laughing

I agree, seems particularly prevalent in France where a lot of small businesses set up a "website" which turns out to be on Facebook........no good for me as I binned it for reasons similar to you.

"I love Friday nights, Peroni and a Pizza, what a thrill" ..............to which my reaction was "wee wee off and get a life". I removed myself after 2 weeks, think my wife managed 3.

It does seem to be vaguely useful for people my age stalking old school sweethearts, but I can probably do without that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GreenDay wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Thanks denfinella.

I agree, seems particularly prevalent in France where a lot of small businesses set up a "website" which turns out to be on Facebook........no good for me as I binned it for reasons similar to you.

"I love Friday nights, Peroni and a Pizza, what a thrill" ..............to which my reaction was "wee wee off and get a life". I removed myself after 2 weeks, think my wife managed 3.

It does seem to be vaguely useful for people my age stalking old school sweethearts, but I can probably do without that.

If the old school Scottish sweethearts are still capable of giving life to Scottish bairns if not already then let the British charm of the old schoolers now realise it. Women like to be women with a masculine arm and manners to disarm the world while walking in the left hand side of a pavement to face the traffic and well wishers of my English gal and I. Tea and carrot cake and no surrender.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scotland recently went from total snowcover to disappearing fast/almost gone in the space of two or three days Confused Very frustrating but par for the course unfortunately.

No snow forecast anytime soon - so looking very much like a non-starter for snowsports between Christmas and New Year... rolling eyes

Time for my Strictly-esque snow dance wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Signs more +ve from 22/23rd so fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Signs more +ve from 22/23rd so fingers crossed
The outlook may be more positive than I initially thought. Met Office Cairngorm summit forecast says max 9C on the summit on 18th Dec - dropping to a min of -6C on the 19th.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good to see both Cairngorm and Glencoe have managed to get some reasonable beginner areas open with artificial snow, I always wondered why they never did this!

Let's hope Sturgeon doesn't close them down!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://app.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee
Fantastic weather again across Scotland. What a year it’s been for good weather in the north and particularly the east (Storm Arwen aside).
I may be interpreting this wrong and they are shifting all the time but GEFS is showing some potentially very cold air after Christmas Day. They may not have had enough snow though to open much by then ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter S, looks like Glenshee have a decent strip open as well for beginners, lets hope new snow over Xmas lets them open up some other areas!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://localapps.pkc.gov.uk/RoadsCameraImages/default.aspx?CameraImage=8781_cam2.jpg
Dumping at Glenshee tonight. The next four days or so look quite cool with sub zero temps and some light snow around. Together with the existing patches they may be able to open one or two more runs on the Cairnwell and sunny side perhaps ?
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gfjed4t8h#?nearestTo=Glenshee%20Ski%20Centre%20(Aberdeenshire)&date=2021-12-25
ski holidays
Glenshee doing well with artificial snow and cold temps!

snow report
kitenski wrote:
Glenshee doing well with artificial snow and cold temps!

Photographs can be deceptive. 120m of nursery slope open………
latest report
Bit more than that. 300m. But a rather fine 300m snowHead
latest report
Apologies, it was 120m vertical (taken from the website).
snow conditions
Mmm, the website is a bit optimistic - topo maps put it at a shade over 50m vertical, and that's including the rope tow at the bottom!

It's a bit better than a nursery slope though. The "Plastic Slope" (as it's called) beside the drag lift is a blue run, and deservedly so.
ski holidays
Just back from a great two days of ski touring at Cairngorm, where the weather was excellent - lots of sun and no wind.

Snow conditions were very challenging in parts - from rutted/refrozen teeth chattering stuff; fresh-looking powder that turned out to be breakable crust; and awful sastrugi as big as waves on the sea. Thankfully, we also found a fair bit of lovely snow that was as smooth as silk to ski. As ever, just great to be out sliding about in the mountains.

The paying punters are currently restricted to a very short green run served by the Car Park T-Bar. Such a shame that the funicular has been kaput for so long rolling eyes . Had it been operational, they'd not be too far away from having skiable runs above the mid station on the Cas side of the mountain and up in the Ptarmigan Bowl.

On our second day, we got our skis on about 30 metres up the Daylodge Run and skinned all the way up to the summit from there (albeit with some narrow/thin/rocky bits) via the M2 and Ptarmigan Bowl.

But now it's warming up in the Highlands Confused The snow dances continue!

snow conditions
mountainaddict,

Brilliant photos! Eh oh!
ski holidays
Quote:
Brilliant photos!
Ta Very Happy
snow report
That is a lovely trip report @mountainaddict, your enthusiasm and energy are conveyed so well. I was in Glenmore the week the snow started but had no skis with us.
Looking at your super pictures I'm thinking that was a gross error of judgement. We must all hope that the good cold stuff returns really soon!
snow conditions
Cheers Rogerdodger - glad you enjoyed the report Smile
latest report
@mountainaddict, as others have said, great photos.

Warm for the next few days but the long term forecast is quite promising for further snowfall and reasonably cold temperatures.
ski holidays
Here's hoping for more snow before too long denfinella.
ski holidays
https://fb.watch/aeVzbgokmA/

Nice drone video of today’s skiing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ Loving that drone footage \m/
latest report
Good Guardian article re Scottish skiing:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/jan/03/slopes-of-hope-how-scotlands-ski-resorts-are-speeding-back-to-business-a-photo-essay
snow conditions
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gfjed570x#?date=2022-01-04

Snow arriving today at Glenshee
latest report
Quote:
Snow arriving today at Glenshee
And everywhere else too Very Happy

All five centres are open, or opening, albeit with very limited snowsports. All no doubt better than an indoor slope though wink

Glencoe, Glenshee and Nevis have joined Cairngorm by opening two or three lifts serving easy/beginner runs.

The Lecht could well be the pick of the bunch - they are aiming to open the Magic Carpet, Eagle, Osprey and Grouse lifts.

Glencoe

Cairngorm

Glenshee

Lecht

Nevis Range
ski holidays
Glencoe open today.

We've had more snow overnight than expected so we are now open for snowsports. Access Chair, Coire Pollach and Plateau Poma all open. Early season conditions but plenty of fresh snow.
Please for today just purchase tickets at the ticket office.
Online tickets for the weekend will become available later today.

Nevis - Our team are on the hill assessing conditions but likely we will need another few days of snow to get going for Skiing!

Cairngorm - learners area open, Your day pass will grant access to the lower snow zone only including use of the Snow Badger Rope Tow and Lower Car Park T-Bar

Glenshee - Just need a bit more of the natural stuff. Photo from this morning. Still only Plastic, DinkDink and beginners going. Pre-booked tickets only.

Lecht - Lift are currently being assessed. Magic carpet will open and we will be looking at eagle, osprey and grouse. We didn't get as much snow as we would of liked but runs have improved

Glencoe pic

ski holidays
Really tempted but there's warmer weather forecast in a few days with rain. If it wasn't a 600 mile round trip I'd go.
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, nice round up. I think I would be aiming for Glencoe based on all that!

@boisdevie, the warm weather currently looks to be short lived, with colder weather returning after a few days along with further snowfall. I'd say it looks quite promising for a net improvement in conditions over the next week or two.
snow report
I think the forecast wind would stop me making a trip at the moment! Although if Cairngorm gets more snow there has been some good looking pics of touring over the back in the past few weeks.

From MWIS:

Uncertainty in the detail for Sunday, mainly in Scotland, as an Atlantic low passes eastwards with areas of frequent snow. Early next week, in Scotland, frequently strong westerly wind bringing frequent rain and snow mainly on western mountains. Elsewhere, becoming dry with the wind dropping and mountain temperatures rising above freezing point as pressure builds from the south. These conditions will probably edge into Scotland later in the week.
snow conditions
Let's see if this works!

Fort William (for Nevis Range, Glencoe)

Aviemore (for Cairngorm, The Lecht, Glenshee)

I think the MWIS outlook is referring to the next week or so which is increasingly mild (though also increasingly dry - it doesn't look like a devastating thaw is on the cards currently). MWIS don't tend to look much further beyond that timeframe.

From mid month the past several GFS runs have seemed to indicate a return to cool northwesterlies, with further snow - always more on west / northwest facing ranges. That would probably favour Nevis, Glencoe and Cairngorm. On the charts above, 850hPa temperatures below approximately -2°C tend to equate to snow rather than rain at Scottish ski area altitudes, though it depends a bit on the weather setup. Most of the forecast precipitation looks to fall at temperatures lower than that, which is hopeful.

Usually the start of decent conditions in Scotland coincide exactly with my late January trip to the Alps, so that seems about right Laughing

Usual caveats apply about long term forecasting, but fingers crossed...
latest report
@denfinella, Indeed - my Alps trip is March this year, so I would love to have a fair bit done locally before then !
ski holidays
Slight shame they haven’t got the new Rannoch Chair operational yet. I don’t think the chairs are on the cable yet. Anyone know the issue ?
ski holidays
It’s due to be certified later in January
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy