Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites - January

Poster: A snowHead
I am booked to do the Pre-Birthday Bash and the Birthday Bash. I have an extra week in Italy (arrive Venice 15 January). Has anyone got any tips for a good place to stay in the Dolomiti Superski area that will be a reasonable transfer from Venice and an easy transfer to the Pre-Birthday Bash in Alleghe?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@headtothehill, Cortina Express do regular daily transfers from both Venice airports (Marco Polo and Treviso) to Cortina. From Cortina bus station they also have ongoing connections to several resorts in the Alta Badia and Alta Pusteria regions. Cortina is a nice town with quite a large skiing area and recently as a result of the World Championships held there earlier this year there have been new skilifts (and a new piste!) installed, including a connection with Cinque Torri I believe. So my recommendation would be to stay in Cortina itself.

As regards transfer to Alleghe, I'm not sure if there's a direct bus service between the two, but it looks like you can do it via a combination of bus, train and bus again! https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Cortina-d-Ampezzo/Alleghe. It might be easier (but not as cheap) to take a taxi.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Alastair Pink for that advice. I’ll check out Cortina and the transfer options. I’d certainly prefer a taxi to two buses and a train on the transfer to Alleghe so will check out costs on that too. Much appreciated!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@headtothehill, One possibility might be to get a bus from Cortina to Passo Falzarego (incidentallly that's where the cable car goes from up to the top of the Lagazuoi mountain which is where the "Hidden Valley" skirun starts). There's certainly buses running on that route in winter, and it may be that there are other buses running between Passo Falzarego and Alleghe, this site implies that there are although I can't see any showing currently, they may only run in winter. It might be worthwhile contacting the Cortina tourist office to ask them if it's possible to travel by bus from Cortina to Alleghe in winter via Passo Falzarego? https://www.dolomiti.org/en/cortina/information-office/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@headtothehill, Having stayed a bit down the hill from Alleghe a lot during the summer and seen the busses regularly ploughing up the hill from Belluno You could also try Arraba. The Dolomiti busses run all year and the winter timetable from Venice can be seen here https://dolomitibus.it/files/orari/invernali/extra/Agordino/Linea72_I.pdf. The more frequent service from Belluno is here https://dolomitibus.it/files/orari/invernali/extra/Agordino/Linea3_I.pdf.

As @Alastair Pink, points out you can also change busses at the top of the Falzarego pass from Contina. It does strike me as odd that Dolomite busses often terminate at the top of passes. For example to get from Wolkenstein to Canazei you change busses at the Sella Joch. I have only checked it out during the summer. It may be different during the winter.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:

As @Alastair Pink, points out you can also change busses at the top of the Falzarego pass from Contina. It does strike me as odd that Dolomite busses often terminate at the top of passes. For example to get from Wolkenstein to Canazei you change busses at the Sella Joch. I have only checked it out during the summer. It may be different during the winter.

Maybe because the provincial boundary is at those passes and the provincial buses can only run in the province of origin, Bolzano-Trento border at the Sella and Bolzano-Belluno border at the Falzarego??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for these responses. I’m waiting to hear back from the Tourist Office what the best way between Cortina and Alleghe. I’ll post what their advice is. Having taken a good look online at Cortina I think that’s where I will book and will have to look at a taxi if there buses are a difficult option.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@headtothehill, I think you'll have a nice time in Cortina. It's got a wide skiing area with some great views (well you can't go wrong in the Dolomites for scenery) and the town centre is nice. If you want some amusement look out for the Italians doing the passeggiata in the pedestrianised main street - dressed up in their furs (and that includes the men!) they stroll along to see and be seen Laughing

And if you do hear back from the tourist office about travel connections to Alleghe let us know. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does anyone have a go to place to stay in Alleghe? Thinking a family run hotel of good standard near the lifts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@choucas, Sporthotel Europa is your best bet and I’m sure you’ll get many more recommendations on here.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geepee wrote:
@choucas, Sporthotel Europa is your best bet and I’m sure you’ll get many more recommendations on here.

^ +1 Lovely friendly staff and great food!

http://sporthoteleuropa.com/en/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What @geepee, said. Used by snowHeads for the preBirthdayBash and always good.

From the bash thread...
"We'll be based at Sporthotel Europa, a 4* family run hotel, on the edge of the lake.
This is, in my view, a quality hotel. Little Angel
The setting is just stunning, the staff are attentive and friendly and the food is always very good.
It's a few minutes walk from the lift or the hotel runs a minibus shuttle up to the lift station."
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@headtothehill, how would you describe your skiing, what types you like/dislike (what's not to like?) and what kind of towns/villages you prefer staying in?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like everything as long as it's white, and I can slide on it. Thanks for the Sporthotel Europa recommendation. That was the one I had on my radar. I've spent a lot of time in the Dolomites, but have never made it to Civetta. It's on my hit list.
Allegehe seems a bit out of the way as a base. I usually stay in Corvara and ski in different directions from there. I've done several point to point tours in the Dolomites skiing/touring off piste and staying in huts and hotels along the way. Skied a lot across the alps (not so much in France) and the Dolomites always come out on top for me. Best food.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@choucas, Have you skied the Pala? What was it like?
ski holidays
Are you referring to the area around the Passo Rolle?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy