Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FIS Ski WC 2021/22 Thread + Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Rob_Quads wrote:
ster wrote:
@Rob_Quads, Dont a lot of the selected athletes live in the mountains full time now, so while a few of them would have been impacted (maybe bobsleigh, but if we had any ice skaters of note they would not have been), I imagine a significiant number of them would have been only impacted as much as any others from those alpine countries.

Having watched the "Free Spirits" document it showed most of the freestyle snowboard/skiiers are UK based at the moment. James Woods was living in the mountains but the rest were taking trips out. One of the interesting comments was. "To get a weeks worth of practice you need to go out for 2 weeks" due to the weather issues that you no doubt have. I suspect in "normal" times they would be spending a lot more time living abroad

This got me interested to have a look at the situation in terms of where the athletes are based and what increased difficulties covid could have placed on travel and therefore training/competition. I have culled the events and in some cases where the sport is more individual, listed each of them, looked to say where the facilities are very different from lcoation to perhaps better places and put what I think is the situation. This is based on some pretty rudimentary research and knowledge and would be good if anyone has better info to add to it. Bear in mind when I say "no impact", that means that there is little substantive impact due to covid over and above EXISTING challenges to "UK" athletes in these winter sports (IMHO), either as a result of their location, or facilities where they are based.

I've also put in the Beijing round funding as made public on the UK Sport website. I was quite surprised at the levels of funding for some, e.g. £5.6m for curling and £6.4m for skeleton, given the facilities in UK for the former (no need to travel to train) and the amount of athletes in the latter.

I also flagged using #/## by the names I thought have been considered as possible/strong contenders for medals. Again all my own supposition.

Skiing & Snowboarding £9.5m
Alpine skiing
Billy Major on the WC tour, no impact?
Dave Ryding # on the WC tour, no impact?
Charlie Guest on the WC tour, no impact?
Alex Tilley on the WC tour, no impact?

Cross country skiing
James Clugnet Grenoble, France – no impact
Andrew Musgrave# & Andrew Young# both in Norway – no impact

Snowboarding
Huw Nightingale ???
Charlotte Bankes ## French alps – no impact.
Katie Ormerod UK based, impacted

Freestyle skiing
Lloyd Wallace Shaftesbury, ENG -impacted
Leonie Gerken-Schofield Chatel – no impact
Makayla Gerken-Schofield Chatel – no impact
Will Feneley Norfolk but on WC tour – impacted?
Ollie Davies In France or in UK?
Gus Kenworthy ## Telluride, USA – no impact
Zoe Atkin Park City, UT, USA - no impact
James Woods ## Sheffield - impacted
Izzy Atkin # Park City, Utah, no impact
Kirsty Muir Aberdeen - impacted
Katie Summerhayes Sheffield - impacted

Bobsleigh £120k
Have a home push/start track at Bath Uni no real impact?
Men's two and four-man on the WC tour, no impact?
Women's ???

Curling £5.6m – no impact

Figure skating £40k – no impact

Luge £6k
Rupert Staudinger born in Bavaria, based there? On Luge World Cup circuit. No impact?

Speed skating £740k
Women's short track & Mens short track – Some based overseas - No impact?
Men's & Women’s long track –all based in Netherlands (nowhere better to be?) - No impact.

Skeleton £6.4m
All on WC tour? No impact?
Laura Deas ##
Brogan Crowley
Matt Weston ##
Marcus Wyatt

Layne wrote:
ster wrote:
Layne wrote:
@Mr.Egg, it's sport though. Funding doesn't guarantee anything but pulling it does.

So how much is enough then?

I've no idea but you can't evaluate performance in many of these events purely based on the end result.

No you can't. But a target has been set by the funder (not me) of 3 to 7 medals (of what colour, so three bronzes all the way to seven golds?) which is a very wide target and I would say that its something that should be acheivable in the round. UK has athletes in 45 events. So they will/should look for a "return" on their substancial funding, otherwise why are they doing it?

Perhaps some of that money might be well spent in re-opening the Sheffield dry slope where some are based, proven talent has arisen and would be a community resouce?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You may need to readjust the curling section
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mike Pow, yes, they doing well. That was just my uneducated view, but meant to be pre-games, not with hindsight. Very Happy

Lets hope they didnt need any heart medicine to calm the nerves.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fingers crossed for Zoe and Gus down in the stunt trench too. Particularly strong showing for Zoe.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can we talk about Julia Marinos withdrawal. To threaten a silver medalist with DQ over the branding of their equipment seems... daft.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Can we talk about Julia Marinos withdrawal. To threaten a silver medalist with DQ over the branding of their equipment seems... daft.

100% - I could understand it if was just a sticker but if its the brand of the board then its the brand. How is being paid by Burton to use their boards any different to being paid by Prada to use their board? If they really want no advertising they need to make sure that no requirement can have a brand on it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was watching some half pipe yesterday, when commentator (Ed Leigh?) said how well Head skis were doing during this Olympics (I thought 'blatant plug - but who knows...)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The quality of the judging/adjudication was in question again in the Womens Ski-Cross final when Fanny Smith got yellow-carded for obstructing Daniela Maier. Penalty put her back into 4th with Maier promoted to Bronze position. However it was Smith who'd been obstructed by the 2nd place skier, who forced her into Maier. Neither Smith or Maier agreed with the judging decision and despite both appealing to the judges, the decision was held.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

How is being paid by Burton to use their boards any different to being paid by Prada

Exactly - Other brands also rebadge other gear to conform with "Team Branding" - Adidas logos are regularly sewn over other manufacturers gear as they have a team corporate sponsorship, for example. Lots of brands hardware come out of the same manufacturing facilities too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IOC says

"Regarding the branding of the snowboard, the athlete was competing with a snowboard with branding of a company that doesn’t primarily have its business in sporting goods, contrary to Olympic advertising rules that protect the funding of the Olympic Movement. "

NY Post says

"Marino’s $3,600 Prada snowboard reportedly sold out within hours after she won silver for Team USA, according to Front Office Sports"

i.e. no one except for the IOC is allowed to make money out of the olympics. If you don't like it you can take your board and go home.

Its a business!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
apparently Gus Kenworthy is also a Prada brand ambassador. Dunno what he's been riding on this past few weeks...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chap from the BOA on R4 this morning rolling out the expected “rationale” for lack of medals, including actually we usually only win one or two excepting for the last 2 olympics. Oddly he didn’t mention if funding was very different now from when we only won one or two.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd like to see a breakdown of how the funding is spent. Ski and Snowboard got £9 million over 4 years so that's roughly £2.5 million a year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@russ_e, The Ski and Snowboard funding used to be split between the different areas, Alpine didn't get very much.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fear not - I'm sure it'll be slashed across the board post Beijing to encourage out athletes to work harder and raise themselves out of poverty.
snow conditions
What happened in the first end of the woman's curling semi! Four down after one end?

Now likely to be 4-3, how topsy turvy.
snow conditions
Not sure if anyone else is watching the pairs figure skating short program - simply wow!
latest report
rjs wrote:
@russ_e, The Ski and Snowboard funding used to be split between the different areas, Alpine didn't get very much.

That's the impression I got so I wonder where the money goes?
latest report
@russ_e, thats the question I guess.

The curling semi was an exciting to & fro match with the lead changing hands, big ends and going to the extra. Well done.
ski holidays
@russ_e, Most of the money was required to be spent on Freestyle, skiing and snowboarding.
latest report
Well done girls, another great result from curling
ski holidays
@rjs, weeeelll to be brutal, that's where we have the talent.... and chilly bowls obviously.
snow report
Jeez that was some slam on second run from Gus Kenworthy, glad he was OK. Great guy, well done to him to come back after that.
latest report
Real whipper, adrenaline will have carried him through the third.

Sore boy in the morning! Hope he has a good physio.
snow conditions
GB team not listed for tomorrow's (Sunday) team parallel, re-scheduled from today (Saturday). I assume that GB couldn't muster a team. 15 teams listed
incl China and ROC. Maybe the lads wanted to be back in Europe for the Garmisch SL next weekend.
latest report
@davidthornton, dace ryding wants to focus on WC so only left 3 GB skiers
snow report
@davidthornton, GBR wasn't on the start list for the original event. The last time Dave did GS was in 2013 and the only other male racer there is Billy Major.
snow conditions
@rjs, ah yes, it's GS
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave Ryding has a chance of finishing the SL World Cup in the top 10. He'll definitely want to concentrate on the SL World Cup. In recent seasons he's consistently finished in the top 15 SL rankings.
ski holidays
Japan’s Yoshida is almost as hot as our Eve!
snow conditions
Great steal.
What’s going on?
ski holidays
Sloppy from Hayley. Not as hot as Eve.
latest report
Excellent Gold from the GB Womens Curling team.

Final tally, one Gold, one Silver - both from curling.

There will be a bit of an inquest when the group get home - particularly relating to the ski / boarding and skeleton.

These have had substantial millions of £ pumped into them in the runup and the outcome has not been great..........we may not necessarily expect medals, but too many have gone out with a whimper.

Perhaps we need to focus more on a smaller number of elite competitors?
snow report
Another gold for Johannes Strolz, great team result for Austria…..pleased for Michi Matt also
snow conditions
@GreenDay, I was going to be a bit more blunt. A lot of over hyped underachiement in the freestyle arenas.

The curling teams are a credit to Scotland for both their hard work and demeanour.

I did think that something like curling might be my only chance for a medal, but looking at the sheer physique of the men's team I shall have to wait for Olympic drinking to become a thing. Laughing
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@GreenDay, I was going to be a bit more blunt. A lot of over hyped underachiement in the freestyle arenas.

The curling teams are a credit to Scotland for both their hard work and demeanour.

I did think that something like curling might be my only chance for a medal, but looking at the sheer physique of the men's team I shall have to wait for Olympic drinking to become a thing. Laughing

Only if you Ambush them............... Cool

p.s. deffo not doing a nationalistic thing here - the curlers benefit hugely from having a central base where they all train (Stirling Uni) and that most of them come from a couple of hours away at most so no "homesick" issues - that is a huge advantage v the guys that need to decamp to Alps / USA to train.

I appreciate that these things "cost" but I was gobsmacked when I heard the sums being thrown at the UK Winter teams.

I agree about the hype - as it happens, I watched the iPlayer documentary in the runup to the Olympics and with all the injuries and conditioning issues, I didnt think we had a hope in hell in the snow events v countries whose athletes had done well in the season running up to this.
snow report
@GreenDay, Nowt nationalistic about centres of excellence, just credit where credit is due!

Stirling is to curling as Leeds is to diving, the best flock to the best.
snow report
@chocksaway, +1 Manchester cycling.

All the media luvvies who are bemoaning the poor GB medals haul they presumably expected need to remember that’s we’ve had a 2 year pandemic and lots of our skiers and boarders were training on trampolines and ball pools not on snow.
snow conditions
sugarmoma666 wrote:
One year subscription to Discovery+, which includes Eurosport, available for £29.99:

https://promo.discoveryplus.co.uk/promo/all-sports/watch-eurosport-on-discoveryplus?utm_campaign=UK-EU-D1-EU-C7-ESP-BAU-DR-W-AllSports-Undefined-210101-NA&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=eurosportplayer.com&utm_content=home-navbar-button-subscribe

Thanks for the link!
ski holidays
With the average transfer fee in the Premier League currently standing at £9.3 million, £28 million for the whole GB programme seems a ‘bargain’ and a tremendous utilisation of assets.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy