Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FIS Ski WC 2021/22 Thread + Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Poster: A snowHead
barracuda wrote:
bug - today's DH has been cancelled - Snowfall last night, today and in the forecast for the day at Lake Louise has resulted in the Jury and Organising Committee calling off the race.

Ah, no rush to subscribe now.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been moaning all morning about the skiing not being on Eurosport. Thought it was Discovery+ being rubbish but this explains it.

A word of warning to anyone thinking of subscribing to the new App - it's not very sports focused and I can't see any Eurosport catch-up in my subscription.

Not sure if this is because it's via Sky.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fellows said on last night’s live cancelled downhill programme that they would be back at 7pm UK for round 2 but it’s not scheduled on Eurosport 1 or 2.

Is it worth subscribing to the app for this or is it not scheduled there either?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm on the Discovery Plus App now and there are no winter sports listed at all.

On the Eurosport app the race this afternoon is listed but not on either of the two live channels. My Discovery Plus subscription doesn't seem to have enabled the Eurosport player and I can't see any options to validate I have a sub.

This could all be due to my subscription being supplied through SkyQ. I'm half tempted to sign-up for a month just to see.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Im going to join for a month and I’ll let you know about the player. My subscription before has always been for the player only as is my log on.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PS Had a look at the player schedule (but havent joined yet) and tonight's schedule there does have the mens DH for Lake Louise on one of the web channels.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Women's GS at Killington has been cancelled* due to the weather. They did start but after 10 racers down they put the race on hold and finally gave up. If you want to watch those who ran the course, it's on Eurosport Player on demand.

*Probably because Shiffrin was in last place Laughing .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The men's downhill is about to start on Eurosport player
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@barracuda, thanks, had become really confused about when that was on, as usual the guide didn't match the channels.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If anyone is struggling on the Discovery player, it’s in Eurosport extra channel 19 (not labelled) with no commentary.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Toby16, if there is an audio/subtitles option click it and then change from ambient sound to English if that shows up - it’s ambient by default on the Eurosport player app as well
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for looking out for me but I’m streaming through Prime video with Discovery Sports add in and that option isn’t available. It’s quite peaceful though!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Toby16 wrote:
It’s quite peaceful though!

I much prefer "ambient sound". Every year I hope Eurosport finds a new commentator for the alpine skiing but I'm always disappointed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Having a good chuckle at the IT support call going on.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could always switch to the Italian or Spanish commentary (oddly no French or German is coming up for me) if you need some background chat when watching . The Italian one w be quite good when an Italian racer is going well.
latest report
Still have Eurosport player and used Google Chromecast for a great winter sports day today, xc skiing, then biathlon, some ice skating then the men's dh tonight. One happy person as it seemed to be tennis or snooker or some track cycling on eurosport on tv today.
ski holidays
Seems the Discovery+ offer via SkyQ is just the entertainment pack, no sport included.

I signed up for a month and I can now get Eurosport in full via the Discovery+ website. Unable to sign into the Eurosport player at all. Updated my account on the SkyQ box and can access some old skiing catch-up but Eurosport is missing from the channel list in the Discovery+ App.

Eurosport UK on Sky have decided Snooker and the Davis cup are more important so no Skiing until 5:30pm today.

Apologies for the total thread drift.
latest report
Russ, I did the same as you (tried through Sky deduced entertainment only, upgraded to Discovery plus (with Sport) via Prime). If you have Prime on your Sky Q try putting your Discovery login into that and in a very roundabout way you’ll get access to the Eurosport Xtra/webchannels. All in all a soulsucking saga navigating Discovery+
snow report
Thanks @Toby16, I signed up direct with Discovery+ so not able to enter my account details but was able to subscribe via Prime.

Looks like the only way to watch without Chromecast on my LG TV is via Prime.
snow conditions
If anyone is looking for the mens SH - it’s been cancelled due to weather!

Next week the men are in for an action packed weekend in Beaver Creek with FIS rescheduling the cancelled Lake Louise races. There will be SGs Thursday and Friday and then DHs Saturday and Sunday.

Eurosport 1 will be showing highlight of the womens slalom races at 2144.
ski holidays
The discovery+ tie up is ending up in some odd results. I always had an account on the Eurosport player but no current subscription. When wanting to re-subscribe it took me to the new discovery+ site where it had me set up another account (which I did with exactly the same details as the old Eurosport account), then it took me to a payment page where I couldnt add any credit card details. After playing around with the menu options I finally managed to get to a page where the credit card details were inputtable, then paid for a month. But on going back into the Eurosport player, I can log on but it says I dont have a susbscription and I cannot play any content. I can however log into the discovery+ website and access it from there but I used to use the Eurosport PS4 app to play on my tv, but cannot now and discovery+ doesn't have a PS4 app. Talk about not joined up!

But doesnt look like I missed much this weekend anyway.
snow conditions
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/28/mikael-shiffrin-ties-record-with-46th-world-cup-slalom-win
ski holidays
barracuda wrote:
Next week the men are in for an action packed weekend in Beaver Creek with FIS rescheduling the cancelled Lake Louise races. There will be SGs Thursday and Friday and then DHs Saturday and Sunday.

Bummer but not all bad; BC's course is better than LL which is pretty tame.

Meanwhile Shiffrin ties Stenmark for most wins in a discipline. For me she is hard to like (world's worst interviewee?) but effortless to respect. Poor Wendy, will she ever stand on the top step? In a sense, she was born at the wrong time, like the golfers that had to compete with Tiger.

We had Ted Ligety doing commentary, he was good. But I prefer Bode, or Todd Brooker, who seems like he's having fun 100% of the time!
snow report
According to the internet Schiffrin has 71 wins vs Vonn @ 82 and Stenmark @ 86. Suspect only Vlhova (or early retirement) can stop her from beating those two records.
latest report
Considering MS is likely going to be the "winningest" skier of all time - she has very little off hill charisma and character - which is a shame in some ways - but then again Vonn was a huge character on the circuit so maybe we are being a bit unjust? I do suspect she may be a bit introverted.

Those that recall I mentioned Adrien Theaux was injured in a training practice in Colorado last week - he is back in france now and he has shared some details - he "made a mistake" in an SG practice run, flew into the safety nets which didn't stop him and then he came to rest crashing in the forest. The damage - fractured Tibia, elbow, torn triceps, and his thigh punctured by a tree branch that stopped him!

It is an extremely lucky escape - and it reminds me of his team mate David Poisson who sadly passed during a DH training practice back in 2017 when he lost a ski - ripped through the safety nets and hit a tree.

This really makes you question - the amount of safety protection we see in place during race day and how minimal protection is in place for practice sessions

snow report
barracuda wrote:
This really makes you question - the amount of safety protection we see in place during race day and how minimal protection is in place for practice sessions

very good point
latest report
There's almost zero protection for speed trainings (one b-net hardly qualifies as protection) and there's literally no protection for SL/GS. Normally not even b-net, just tape separating training track from public slope and nothing at all on side facing end of track/forest/rocks. But thing is, unless it happens to some of the big stars, normal public never hears of all these accidents on training, which are not so rare neither so innocent as people imagine.
latest report
Yes the unfortunate accidents involving Régine Cavagnoud and David Poisson spring to mind.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From my experience at the training on the Hahnenkamm, Schladming and the St. Anton races for women super G and men SL is that race netting is in place.
snow conditions
@davidthornton, I think you have a different concept of "training" to primoz. Theaux (and Poisson) were not skiing on slopes that hold World Cup races.

Charlie Guest had a bad training accident and is only now getting back to form.
ski holidays
I feel it is something that is not talked about enough

https://kellybrushfoundation.org/skiracingsafety/

In other news:

Quote:
A U.S. men’s ski racer tested positive for the coronavirus and was ruled out for the four World Cup speed races this week in Colorado. International Ski Federation (FIS) race director Markus Waldner said Tuesday night at the team captains’ meeting that one American athlete has been isolated after turning in a positive result for COVID-19. Waldner did not reveal the person’s name.

Waldner said the U.S. racer was on a charter flight carrying athletes from various countries to Colorado from the previous stop on the men’s World Cup tour in Lake Louise, Alberta.

Waldner indicated there was concern about whether the World Cup events scheduled this week could be held, but said he received the “green light” to go ahead as planned
latest report
@rjs, ah, okay. I have seen the Chinese ski team training (SL/GS) in St. Anton, pre-Covid, and the only netting was to prevent public skiers from the piste set aside.
Yes, Charlie Guest is getting into form, very good form it looks as well.
snow report
Can’t find the link now but saw a video a few weeks back of ski cross training where a snowboarder - pedestrian- ducks under a rope wanting to join or cut across the slope right under a step down feature and it was pretty close and lucky it didn’t end worse
snow report
Snow control have given a green light for the Men's GS and SL race on the Face de Bellevarde next weekend (11/12 Dec)

Piste preparation commences - https://www.webtvvaldisere.com/upload_vids/2021-11-30%20Reportage%20Pierre%20dameuse%20face.mp4
latest report
This will be of interest to a few:

Quote:
Join us on December 7th at 7pm for a LIVE premiere of LA FAMIGLIA with Marta Bassino. Hit the "REMINDER" button above and don't miss out as Marta will joins the LIVE CHAT to answer questions and provide behind-the-scenes insight while we watch the film.

Every victory, shiny gold medal, and coveted crystal globe is built on a skier's passion, dedication, and hard work chasing a childhood dream. For Marta Bassino, skiing is second nature and winning the obvious thing to do. But while she makes it all look easy, there is a whole well-oiled machine helping her carve her path to glory. This is her story, the story of an alpine skiing World Champion.

http://youtube.com/v/GU8KPDP4jYE
snow report
@davidthornton, trainings before the race (official training) is with all the netting in place, and security there is exactly same as during race, and pretty much as good as it can be. But we were talking about training during the year, on normal slopes (normally early morning trainings before majority of regular skiers in on hill). Of course there are places, that have perfect conditions even for training only, but they are very very rare. Most of training places have very poor security. But it has always been like this, and skiers understand that realistically there's simply no other way. Unless you have whole hill defined as training center (like Copper mountain is for example), there's simply no way anyone will be letting few guys close half of hill with nets to have safe DH training track. And putting proper netting on place is task for days not for few minutes, so there's no way to have it there for training and then remove it until next morning, so normal tourists can use the hill once racers are gone at 9 or 10am.
ski holidays
primoz wrote:
@davidthornton, trainings before the race (official training) is with all the netting in place, and security there is exactly same as during race, and pretty much as good as it can be. But we were talking about training during the year, on normal slopes (normally early morning trainings before majority of regular skiers in on hill). Of course there are places, that have perfect conditions even for training only, but they are very very rare. Most of training places have very poor security. But it has always been like this, and skiers understand that realistically there's simply no other way. Unless you have whole hill defined as training center (like Copper mountain is for example), there's simply no way anyone will be letting few guys close half of hill with nets to have safe DH training track. And putting proper netting on place is task for days not for few minutes, so there's no way to have it there for training and then remove it until next morning, so normal tourists can use the hill once racers are gone at 9 or 10am.

Yep. I've seen pre-race training days on specific courses. The other 'training' that I've seen are the normal training sessions that take place beyond the race courses, at team bases. To avoid misunderstanding in these references, maybe pre-race sessions should be called 'practice' as in F1, though FIS officially refers to them as 'training' in their schedules.
snow conditions
primoz wrote:
putting proper netting on place is task for days not for few minutes

This is true. There is an interesting twist on this at Lake Louise: it being in a National Park there is wildlife which they have chosen to try and accommodate. So, after each day's racing or training is complete, large sections of fencing are laid down so that animals can cross. And we know they do, because people are tasked with checking for tracks in the morning, its taken seriously.
snow conditions
@Scooter in Seattle, a bear or pack of wolves trapped inside the netting could make for an interesting run...
snow conditions
Women's downhill is on this evening and tomorrow, starting 7.30pm (UK time)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy