Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Immense fear bordering with horror

Poster: A snowHead
@niki250, Correctamundo. Except I don't know what active wear is Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Those leggings thingies? Which goes under the pants.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
niki250 wrote:
So *nothing* goes into the shoe except socks and active wear?
If you're wearing leggings (which is what I guess you mean by active wear) be careful not to create a ridge within the boot with the lower edge of the legging, as that can cause pressure and be painful. To avoid that risk, wear three quarter length leggings, so that the only thing within your boot - apart from your foot! - is your sock.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@niki250, cross post!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

@niki250, The tone of your posts have changed as this thread had progressed. You are now talking about it with an air of humour, showing that you're ready to laugh about the complete disaster your first lesson was. This is fantastic. Skiing is best learned when you don't take yourself seriously. There is a high chance you will end up making a complete fool of yourself at some point. We've all been there and truthfully all still do it. Every person on this thread will have a story of looking ridiculous and days that were a disaster.

Thank you so much! But all of your in this thread are to be thanked for that! I didn't know so many things. Ignorance is really scary.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

cross post!

Sorry, I'm very new at this forum and was really excited when started this thread, I'm sorry if I didn't do something right.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@niki250, @Hurtle, means her post crossed in the ether with yours, not that it's an angry post Very Happy.
Excitement is very rarely frowned upon here, most of us get unreasonably enthusiastic about all things snowy. Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@niki250, As usual, you've had good advice.

- Yes - the inside gaiter goes over the top of the boot - and the outer layer goes over that.
- The only thing inside your boots should be your Ski Socks.

@Belle, made an interesting observation - which if I understand correctly is (which I hope will be confirmed):

1. A hollow back with your bum sicking out is a very weak skiing position....often seen in Beginners (particularly Female).

2. A rounded back (hips tucked under), is a strong skiing position, as it helps engage your core.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

@niki250, @Hurtle, means her post crossed in the ether with yours, not that it's an angry post .
Excitement is very rarely frowned upon here, most of us get unreasonably enthusiastic about all things snowy.

Oh good, I hate being the person making forums messy and not following the rules! Smile

Quote:

- Yes - the inside gaiter goes over the top of the boot - and the outer layer goes over that.
- The only thing inside your boots should be your Ski Socks.

Interestingly enough, when I complained that my foot is sliding around the boot and my instructor said my technique is to blame for that, when we got down the slope she actually fastened my boot. Peculiar thing that she didn't see the gaiter violently pushed all the way inside the boot. Guess somebody's gonna be getting a really bad review on the page of the resort.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
niki250 wrote:

Interestingly enough, when I complained that my foot is sliding around the boot and my instructor said my technique is to blame for that, when we got down the slope she actually fastened my boot. Peculiar thing that she didn't see the gaiter violently pushed all the way inside the boot. Guess somebody's gonna be getting a really bad review on the page of the resort.

The general rules about Ski Socks:

- When buying Boots - use thin Ski Socks
- When using your own boots - use thin socks
- When hiring ski boots - wear thin socks to get measured
- If hiring - its worth having some thick ski socks, in case the boots prove too big - as it can help take up some of the extra room
- Make sure the socks are a neat fit and smooth out all wrinkles, when putting on boots.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And a simple rule for boots.
Take out boot liner.
Place bare foot in boot with toes just brushing toe end.
Stand up in boot in ski stance Get someone to look at gap behind heel to boot
More than 20mm, boot is probably too big.
Less than 10mm, boot is probably too small.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
colinstone wrote:
And a simple rule for boots.
Take out boot liner.
Place bare foot in boot with toes just brushing toe end.
Stand up in boot in ski stance Get someone to look at gap behind heel to boot
More than 20mm, boot is probably too big.
Less than 10mm, boot is probably too small.

If buying boots and the Fitter doesn't do this step when selecting the size - walk out of the shop without buying.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Take out boot liner.

I ... I didn't know the boot had liner.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Search "shell check ski boot" on youtube for more clips like this.

http://youtube.com/v/WZx4GYLS5FE
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
niki250 wrote:
Quote:

Take out boot liner.

I ... I didn't know the boot had liner.

That is not really surprising - as everything is new to you.

For those us of that have been doing this for decades - it's very easy to forget just how much knowledge we take for granted.

No matter what bit of gear you are looking at - from Helmets/Goggles, to Jackets/Trousers, to Base Layers, to Socks, to Gloves, to Skis/Poles and Boots - there is stuff you are better off knowing, to make life easier. It's not difficult - but without knowing, it can take a few years to learn the hard way. Before Forums, this is what happened to a lot of us.
ski holidays
Incorrect boots & skis will ruin anyone's skiing. Next time it will all be better. It's best to prepare & get lessons at home on artificial or at indoor Snow Centres before heading to the real pistes. Good boot fitting is essential.
ski holidays
Quote:

She said I should use plough to stop.

Well, to be fair (and she does sound hopeless) it is very important to learn to steer the skis by shifting your weight and using the snowplough to turn. If you turn far enough, with the weight on the outside ski - you will end up across the slope, and stop. That's not going to work on a steep slope, but then you shouldn't be on a steep slope! A good instructor will have you follow them down a slope you can easily cope with, making nice round turns - turning continually. A lot of beginners, especially fearless ones with strong legs will go diagonally down the slope then fling the skis round and descend in a series of "Z" shapes. That's wrong though.....should be "S" shapes.

Until you can control your speed, turn and stop comfortably on a nursery slope you shouldn't go on steeper slopes - and you shouldn't be expected to go faster than you feel comfortable.

Some strong sporty skiers will learn very quickly and master a "hockey stop" by turning both skis across the slope. But then they sometimes fail their instructor exams because they never mastered the snowplough!

Your rollerblading should come in very useful indeed when you improve a bit - especially when you have to "skate" across a flat area.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy