Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Immense fear bordering with horror

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Get your Boyfriend to Video you skiing and post it on here - and there is enough knowledge, but better still, Instructors, to give you feedback.

That would be terrific. This is absolutely the best forum I've ever been to. You're all so kind and helpful.
I guess I could also bring my bf's mum or brother since they're quite experienced.

I'm aware that with the thing such as skiing the tuition is a must. On the other hand I kind of learned the basics (the ones my crappy instructor wanted me to learn!) and it would be a waste of money and time to go over it again. So that's why I thought it would be much more practical to just put in use everything I learned and some new things from the great videos you've linked on a bunny slope until I get confident enough to go to the proper slope.

Quote:

The rest of the video is for a later stage in your skiing.

If I ever get there ... Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
niki250 wrote:

If I ever get there ... Sad

When you get confidence/comfortable that a ski will turn when you gently angle/ press on it (without other unnecessary movements) - on gentle slopes, it really is as easy as he makes it look...provided you let the ski do its thing ie. without forcing anything. Having the patience to let the ski turn you, takes a while - as there is a strong impulse to start twisting it into a skid. Learn to trust your ski on a gentle slope.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you tried the Serbian cure for everything? (Rakija). wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I‘m a hopless ice skater but stopping on ice with a V looks the same as a snowplough.

http://youtube.com/v/COJOyWCYoHc

With a snowplough turn you do the same but with one ski flatter.

The skis are longer than ice skates but on piste it‘s the ski edges directly under your boots that are doing the work.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 25-09-21 4:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB wrote:
I‘m a hopeless ice skater but stopping on ice with a V looks the same as a snowplough.

It's a bit like going from reversing a Car Trailer, to reversing a 40 ft Trailer....the principle is the same - but the implementation takes a while, going from the former to the latter. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reading all of this with great interest. I'm valiantly trying to go from snowplough turns to parallel. I sort of do a half one at the moment. My outside ski (the one going in the same direction I'm turning) goes straight but the inside one still wants to V and I feel like I have to force it round at the back.

I'm practicing on a dry slope (no snow nearby I'm in the South West) so it is trickier. Any tips oh wise ones?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Owlette wrote:
Reading all of this with great interest. I'm valiantly trying to go from snowplough turns to parallel. I sort of do a half one at the moment. My outside ski (the one going in the same direction I'm turning) goes straight but the inside one still wants to V and I feel like I have to force it round at the back.

I'm practicing on a dry slope (no snow nearby I'm in the South West) so it is trickier. Any tips oh wise ones?

Does this cover the issue?:

http://youtube.com/v/ppYRE3-kmp0&list=PLC502BC8CCA9BB32D&index=13

http://youtube.com/v/bAsGPnEYzLE&list=PLA893DD2FE6198306

IME. Don't force it. If there is more weight on the turning ski and you are relaxed - gravity will allow the u/hill ski to drift parallel.....the process can be helped by "opening" the uphill knee, which flattens the unweighted ski, allowing it to slide more easily beside the other one.

I do need to qualify all my comments, by highlighting that I am not an Instructor....just an interested Amateur.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks! Great advice and a great video. Particularly about opening up the knee. Will give it a try on Sunday. I do find it easier to turn when I use the edges of the skis more, but struggle to trust that I won't just fall over. It wouldn't bother me as much on snow, but the dry slope bloody hurts!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Owlette wrote:
Thanks! Great advice and a great video. Particularly about opening up the knee. Will give it a try on Sunday. I do find it easier to turn when I use the edges of the skis more, but struggle to trust that I won't just fall over. It wouldn't bother me as much on snow, but the dry slope bloody hurts!

Dry Ski Slopes are the work of the Devil! Toofy Grin As falling hurts so much - the fear of doing so can cause you to tense up and not commit.

Remember to keep shin pressure on the front of the boots and not hang back - while committing to the turning ski . Getting pressure on the tip of the ski helps pull it into the turn.

Let us know if the tips in the video help with the problem.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Dry Ski Slopes are the work of the Devil! As falling hurts so much

If @Owlette, is skiing at Gloucester then maybe, Snowtrax or Plymouth then not.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Owlette, you more than likely have not fully committed to the outside ski ,i.e. you have too much weight on the inside ski.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm skiing at Mendip. It really does hurt to fall there.
I think you're righ about not committing. I inevitably begin to turn better right as I'm about to finish my session (after about two hours) and find myself muttering 'use your edges'.

At Mendip the gentler slopes are at the top, the lower slope is much steeper, I think I'll do loops that stop in the middle as I can jump back into the lift from there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Have you tried the Serbian cure for everything? (Rakija).

I usually don't drink, but I'm gonna have to make it my last resort! Laughing

I haven't ice skated in years. I tried when I was like 7, fell badly the first time and got scared. After the fear subsided I couldn't ice skate because we don't have an ice rink in my town and the outside ones are just mushy piles of water. Since I'll be spending a lot of time in the capital for studying I'll have an opportunity to go to the actual indoor ice rink. I hope I don't break my tailbone. It would be great if I learned the hockey stop, perhaps that would transfer to skis well.

My biggest problem as you can see is that I'm a complete coward when it comes to sports. I'm not confident in my body's abilities. I don't really know why.

Last winter I went with my bf and his dad to the mountain closest to our town, and as the snow partially melted we couldn't do anything else than take a walk. We walked up the easy slope ( 600m long, 100m height difference) and I got terrified of slipping and falling. It was even worse when we went down. I went one leg at a time. It really worries me because if I can't walk down the slope, how would I ski down?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
niki250 wrote:
Quote:

Have you tried the Serbian cure for everything? (Rakija).

It really worries me because if I can't walk down the slope, how would I ski down?

Skiing down is much easier than walking down.

Some of the most painful falls myself and Lady F have taken - was actually walking around on icy pavements in resort, or down icy wooden steps from an On Piste restaurants.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 25-09-21 14:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maybe it's worth mentioning that before that last winter in the spring bf and I went hiking around. It was April so lockdown was in full swing and you had to be at home until 5 o'clock. It was sunny, warm day. There's a beautiful river, which has spring near that place we went to and it makes kind of a canyon (much smaller of course). We hiked by the river and followed those thingies like red circles which meant you're on the trail. Well the circles weren't updated. We had to crawl up the trail thinking it would be the only problematic part. Then we got to an even worse part impossible to climb, on the great height (it seemed like to me), on a really narrow trail where bf and I couldn't fit side by side, just steep abyss next to me and the river which seemed so small down there.

I really thought I was going to die. I was really close to passing out. I started hyperventilating and crying. Luckily my bf is obviously fearless so he grabbed me and turned me around and we started going back barely finding a way, having to jump over fences of who knows whose yards. People weren't mad luckily.

Since then I'm afraid of edges, up and down hills. I'm not afraid of heights though. Weird.

I'm sorry if this is off topic. It feels nice to share it.
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm relieved!
ski holidays
niki250 wrote:
Quote:

I'm relieved!
It really is! I remember walking in the Dolomites with friends with whom I also ski. When I got very scared on a narrow traverse, one of them asked whether I would be frightened if it were winter and I had skis on. I said no, because I feel much more stable on my skis than on my little feet! So I visualized snow and skis for the rest of the tricky part of the walk.
ski holidays
Quote:

It really is! I remember walking in the Dolomites with friends with whom I also ski. When I got very scared on a narrow traverse, one of them asked whether I would be frightened if it were winter and I had skis on. I said no, because I feel much more stable on my skis than on my little feet! So I visualized snow and skis for the rest of the tricky part of the walk.

Wow, thanks! I really thought there was something wrong with me. It's obvious I'm completely dumb about snow, skiing and mountain. I've learnt a lot of new things.
snow report
niki250 wrote:
Last winter I went with my bf and his dad to the mountain closest to our town, and as the snow partially melted we couldn't do anything else than take a walk. We walked up the easy slope ( 600m long, 100m height difference) and I got terrified of slipping and falling. It was even worse when we went down. I went one leg at a time. It really worries me because if I can't walk down the slope, how would I ski down

If you are walking on snow or mud, especially on a slope, get yourself some spikes that pull on over your shoes. Total game changer.
ski holidays
Ghosh!! A lot of replies here with excellent advice. The only thing I can add is that when you are waiting on the piste to go, look across the piste and not down it. The slope is much gentler across! Choose the angle you want to go, at the speed you want.
snow report
The first drill in this link might help.

http://youtube.com/v/UQXR1Q1i--E
ski holidays
@niki250, I'd take myself off on a Ladies ski clinic for a week. Someone like Emma Carrick-Anderson, Snoworks https://www.snoworks.co.uk/blog/train-with-emma-carrick-anderson-4-time-olympian/ or Amanda Pirie https://www.amandapirie.co.uk/

I haven't skied with Amanda but female ski chums come back enthused. I have skied with Emma quite a lot and as a chap just great and the Ladies really enjoyed her approach.

Good luck. And I frighten myself quite a lot!!
ski holidays
Reading over some of what people have said I concur! Keep going it's worth it Smile

However what I'm getting is the fear is probably the main thing - try some anxiety techniques off Moodgym or singing to yourself.

On an easy slope just stand fairly upright and push on the different skis to turn. Turning uphill makes you stop. Thats it!
ski holidays
@colinstone‘s suggestion of a female clinic is great. Sounds like you need to get out of the shadow of your fearless boyfriend for a while and build up your own confidence.
snow conditions
Not a good first experience. Equipment must be in relation to ski ability - skis need to be suitable construction for beginners to make learning easier. Poor instruction if instructor did not visually check this. Learn to snowplough & snowplough turn properly with correct body position & stance over skis before moving on. Any decent instructor knows how important this stage of skiing is.
latest report
@niki250,
A couple more thoughts. Your roller blading expertise should help with balance. We used to go for a couple of hours ice skating before a ski hol to sharpen up the balance.
There are 2 main issues learning to ski. Self analysis and between the ears.
One has to be able recognise and self analyse the correct ski/snow interaction. That is difficult and takes time doing drills. Getting them wrong is just as important as getting them right. When the correct reaction occurs, hopefully one will remember the set up and feeling and try to replicate the action to get the same result. Developing muscle memory will help this and I am sure you will have muscle memory for roller blading - eg your legs just know what to do. And then one has to be able recognise when it all goes well. A good instructor will facilitate this.
Between the ears. Much of sking is psychological. And the Ladies ski clinics do this aspect really well.
ski holidays
Don't want to get too much into body position technicalities with beginners but it's of vital important anyone who is struggling with what should be simple basics visits where their hips are in relation to pelvic tilt. It's a very fine line between skis moving with ease & skis 'sticking' if hips are not forward say due to anterior pelvic tilt (pelvis should be neutral). So rather than focusing on tucking the tummy in as many physios will advise, we can try to focus on moving the hips forward at the level of the hip socket & this the pelvis will tilt into back into neutral. So many people have a hollow back & don't realise it. Ski New Gen have partially covered this and I guess we can assume hollow backs are more common in females than males. A tilted pelvis may well cause a locked knee and cause bums to stick out causing backseat. It's all a very fine line though.
ski holidays
Belle wrote:
Don't want to get too much into body position technicalities with beginners but it's of vital important anyone who is struggling with what should be simple basics visits where their hips are in relation to pelvic tilt. It's a very fine line between skis moving with ease & skis 'sticking' if hips are not forward say due to anterior pelvic tilt (pelvis should be neutral). So rather than focusing on tucking the tummy in as many physios will advise, we can try to focus on moving the hips forward at the level of the hip socket & the pelvis will tilt gently back into neutral. So many people have a hollow back & don't realise it. Ski New Gen have partially covered this and I guess we can assume hollow backs are more common in females than males. A tilted pelvis may well cause a locked knee and cause bums to stick out causing backseat. It's all a very fine line though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Equipment must be in relation to ski ability

Do you think it makes noticeable difference? I'm asking this because skiing felt physically impossible for me. I really wasn't that out of shape. I wonder is it because of the unsuitable skis. I couldn't possibly carry them, making my bf angry and whispering how I shouldn't even ski if I can't carry them. He changed his mind when he picked them up, though. Plough and turning were really hard but I thought that's because I suck? I could also barely click the boot into the ski. Someone had to push my leg.

Quote:

help with balance

I never fell. Honestly it scared me a bit. The skis were so stable and huge that I found it impossible to fall. Not that I like falling, but I like having the option of falling if everything else fails.
snow report
@niki250, Skis that are suitable for your standard (especially when starting out) - can make the difference between progressing well and giving up/struggling big time.

Boots that are too big, will make controlling your skis more difficult/give blisters or bruises; if they are too small, will be too painful to ski in; too stiff, will prevent you from flexing at the ankle - which causes your weight to be back and a loss of control.
snow report
niki250 wrote:
I never fell. Honestly it scared me a bit. The skis were so stable and huge that I found it impossible to fall. Not that I like falling, but I like having the option of falling if everything else fails.

I did a handful of lessons on dry slopes but the first day I skied on snow (group lesson in Tignes with Evolution 2 a loooong time ago) I fell over 50 times at least. I was sopping wet by the end of the day (it was late season so warmish and my clothing was very basic). I loved it. Next day I probably fell a dozen times and then after that 3/4 times a day maybe. I can't imagine how you can learn to ski and to progress with falling over.

If you really struggled to fall over I can't imagine what ski's you had - maybe you had a snowboard on each foot Happy
snow report
To be honest @niki250, if your boyfriend is whispering things like that at you, you are far better having lessons without him. Learning (anything!!) is best done in a supportive environment.

Book a lesson plus equipment with your local ski school. The correct equipment for your height, weight and ability will make all the difference.
latest report
Thanks to all for the parallel tips. I had a great day at Mendip yesterday testing it all out. Mr. Owl joined me and said that he could see what I meant about opening the knee. I passed on the 'embrace the speed' message and he said he'd rather do that on snow because it hurts less to fall (fair). We both noticed an improvement in our technique and confidence though. They also gave me longer skis yesterday; 132 instead of 128, and dare I say it was easier?
snow report
Old Fartbag, everything you said has been immensely useful to me. I'm beyond thankful!

When we're at the boots, another stupid question. My ski pants have like 2 layers. Should the 2nd layer go into the boot?

Quote:

If you really struggled to fall over I can't imagine what ski's you had - maybe you had a snowboard on each foot

Laughing Laughing Laughing I figured I must be doing something wrong! My fearless, athletic snowboarder bf fell a lot of times the first day, and I was just chilling standing tall on my gigantic skis.
snow report
Quote:

you are far better having lessons without him

I've already found another victim! I'll just take my friend who is a bigger coward than me. That should give me a confidence boost!
snow conditions
niki250 wrote:
Old Fartbag, everything you said has been immensely useful to me. I'm beyond thankful!

When we're at the boots, another stupid question. My ski pants have like 2 layers. Should the 2nd layer go into the boot?

Quote:

If you really struggled to fall over I can't imagine what ski's you had - maybe you had a snowboard on each foot

Laughing Laughing Laughing I figured I must be doing something wrong! My fearless, athletic snowboarder bf fell a lot of times the first day, and I was just chilling standing tall on my gigantic skis.

Definitely NOT. The inner layer will have an elasticated bottom. This goes OVER the boot and stops snow going up your trousers if/when you fall over.
snow conditions
niki250 wrote:
Quote:

you are far better having lessons without him

I've already found another victim! I'll just take my friend who is a bigger coward than me. That should give me a confidence boost!

Marvellous! You'll feel like a pro in no time!
ski holidays
Oh my God. Did I do anything right?!?!?!?!?!?!

I can't believe this. Honestly it would be a wonder if I managed to learn anything! I actually did learn a lot according to how many things I did wrong.
ski holidays
@niki250, The tone of your posts have changed as this thread had progressed. You are now talking about it with an air of humour, showing that you're ready to laugh about the complete disaster your first lesson was. This is fantastic. Skiing is best learned when you don't take yourself seriously. There is a high chance you will end up making a complete fool of yourself at some point. We've all been there and truthfully all still do it. Every person on this thread will have a story of looking ridiculous and days that were a disaster.
snow report
So *nothing* goes into the shoe except socks and active wear?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy