Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season Opening Dates in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Back in the Spring I got some very helpful advice about skiing in French resorts near Geneva in mid December.
The conclusion was that it would be very risky to book anything and rely on snow at that time. My plan changed to head by train to le Châble and ski Verbier.
Since then more Innsbruck flights have been added, which brings into the equation Resorts in the Tirol. I realise that most of these will also not be snow sure but there are a few glaciers in range as a worst case scenario.
Almost all resorts publish opening dates starting at the beginning of December.
What I wanted to check was whether this is normally a token offering of a few lifts here and there (or just at weekends), or whether the majority would be running if there is good snow?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don’t exclude the Südtirol from your plans if Innsbruck is your starting point.
Kronplatz is usually open about the last weekend of November and there is very good snow cannon cover in the Dolomites
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only non glacial areas which would be pretty much certain to properly open on their advertised dates would be Ischgl & Obergurgl. Other areas vary between "should be OK" to "needs early snowfall". Lech / Zürs is OK most years. Kitzbühel claims to open late October in fact it is one short lift with "farmed" snow from the previous year, many years the rest will only open in time for Christmas because of snow machines. If you want to book a week mid December I would go with Ischgl though I have been there when it is mostly boiler plate.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. Sorry I should have said it’s only a weekend, so travelling to The Sudtirol may not be practical.
I know that snow at that time of year is unreliable but was wondering how many resorts would run full lifts if there is good snow? I’ve heard that many resorts hold back lifts until Christmas even if there is good snow?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kitzbuhel opens early dec usually, but that is dependant on snow cannons being able to run if there is no snow.

If flying into Innsbruck, then probably worth looking at Stubai Glacier? Schlick 2000 is about 1/2 way in between if there is snow + you could ski above Innsbruck Nordkette area & axamer is not far away either. - Stubai takes about an hour or so on the free bus from Innsbruck centre.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well Ischgl's already got their opening date up - 25th November (https://www.ischgl.com/en/Events/Top-Events/First-skiing-day_topevent_30317009).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@EdYarker, what about booking flights to Innsbruck along with car hire, and then seeing what conditions are like nearer the time? There shouldn't be any shortage of accommodation at that time of year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
EdYarker wrote:
I’ve heard that many resorts hold back lifts until Christmas even if there is good snow?

Yes at the tail ends of the season the number of lifts open also depends on the number of visitors and not just on snow conditions.
In your position I'd head to Hintertux as there are likely to be many more lifts open than other resorts in the area.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone for your input.@denfinella, I may well do this but I’ve got to make the choice between Austria and Verbier.
@DB, you have grasped my dilemma but it looks like there is no exact way of knowing what the lift companies will do.
So I will continue to look for areas with glaciers nearby (like Fulpmes or the Ziller Valley) and go with wherever seems to have the best deals nearer the time:- or just stick to Verbier! Thanks again
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@EdYarker, I would leave any decisions until as late as possible. Early season snow conditions can be very variable, some years the western alps will get lots of early snow and the eastern alps pretty much none other years it will be the other way around. Glaciers seem like a useful backstop but do bear in mind that, especially in mid winter, they can be pretty unpleasant places. Ischgl is pretty easy to get to from Innsbruck, train to Landeck then a transfer (the bus is a bit slow for a weekend trip) probably a bit more transfer time than Mayrhofen, similar if you went on to Hintertux. The glacier area at Stubai is a fair way from Fulpmes, from memory around 30 - 40 minutes on the bus.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
EdYarker wrote:
I’ve heard that many resorts hold back lifts until Christmas even if there is good snow?

Yes at the tail ends of the season the number of lifts open also depends on the number of visitors and not just on snow conditions.
In your position I'd head to Hintertux as there are likely to be many more lifts open than other resorts in the area.

Rather than a very exposed glacier, why not a very slightly less exposed Obergurgl or Ischgl? Also more of a normal resort village (though Obergurgl is pretty quiet)

Either way better to go high than relying totally on snow cannon.

Dusting of snow at Obergurgl today, and there you have the insurance of glaciers at Solden, though they aren't as good as Hintertux

All 3 (Obergurgl, Ischgl, HIntertux) best reached from Innsbruck
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
EdYarker wrote:
@denfinella, I may well do this but I’ve got to make the choice between Austria and Verbier.

I think I would go for Austria, personally.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy