Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying to Lyon

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've just booked tickets flying into Lyon a couple of days before the New Year, and so im trying to decide on which resort, which is within transfer range, would be best for our needs. There will be a group of 6 at least, with a mix of very competent skiers and beginners. Those that can ski will want a good amount of challenge, whilst the beginners obviously need somewhere that is appropriate for them and where they can get lessons. Add into the mix a preference for some lively apres as well!
I have tentatively reserved something in Tignes, but having never skied in France before I am far from an expert and would really like some recommendations based on our needs!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowlythelonely, for non skiing activities Tignes is pretty good. There is a decent swimming pool, indoor climbing wall, skidoo rides and scuba diving under the ice of the frozen lake. It also has a good range of skiing from the tough to the very beginner friendly
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snowlythelonely, Tignes should suit your competent skiers very well. Not so much your beginners, that time of year, in my experience.
Aprés wise, Tignes is only moderately lively I’d say. Val D’Isere, on the same joined you ski circuit, is livelier. But is is only slightly better as a base for beginners.

Personally I’d take a look at Meribel, Courchevel Moriond (1650) possibly La Tania, as alternatives, all in the 3 Valleys area. Les Arcs another possibility in the Paradiski area.

All still have plenty of challenge for the competent. More beginner and early intermediate friendly than Tignes in midwinter. Moderately lively mostly, though Meribel can get a bit more raucous at peak holiday times.
snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PeakyB wrote:
@Snowlythelonely, Tignes should suit your competent skiers very well. Not so much your beginners, that time of year, in my experience.
Aprés wise, Tignes is only moderately lively I’d say. Val D’Isere, on the same joined you ski circuit, is livelier. But is is only slightly better as a base for beginners.

Personally I’d take a look at Meribel, Courchevel Moriond (1650) possibly La Tania, as alternatives, all in the 3 Valleys area. Les Arcs another possibility in the Paradiski area.

All still have plenty of challenge for the competent. More beginner and early intermediate friendly than Tignes in midwinter. Moderately lively mostly, though Meribel can get a bit more raucous at peak holiday times.
snowHead

Thanks, thats all really helpful. I did look at Meribel and Val D'Isere but I can't seem to find any accommodation which is in the reasonable range. I've always skied in Austria, so France is a little alien to me. The resorts seem to be a lot larger and sprawling!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowlythelonely,
Quote:

I've always skied in Austria, so France is a little alien to me. The resorts seem to be a lot larger and sprawling!

Depends which villages/towns you're used to in Austria and which French ones you choose. Certainly the high altitude, purpose built French areas (which tend to be snowsure early season) are on the large sprawling side. So is St Anton though, and a few other Austrian areas. The more traditional, often smaller, French ski towns, tend to be lower altitude, therefore not so snowsure early and late season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PeakyB wrote:
Personally I’d take a look at Meribel, Courchevel Moriond (1650) possibly La Tania,

La Tania all day long. Much easier to get out of for the experienced skiers than C1650 and no messing around with minibuses for everyone like Meribel. La Tania will have a brand new beginners area this winter with two free magic carpet lifts at resort level. So it costs the beginners nothing if they want to practice outside of lessons and the accommodation will most likely be within walking distance. The Ski Lodge pub isn't the Mooserwirt but it's pretty good by French standards. You'll have live music most nights (Happy Hour/evening or both depending on the day of the week), especially at New Year which is celebrated twice - once at French time and again at UK time. Good for you if you can make the FOC Full English that's served at 4am for anyone that's still standing! There's live music somewhere in resort every night.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Raceplate,
Quote:

La Tania all day long.

Yes I think La Tania is a pretty good call. Reasonable value for 3V. Range of accommodation. Not ideal in itself for progression from complete beginner slopes but OK for getting over to Courchevel 1850. That's got very good beginner progression slopes at 1850m to 1950m altitude approx. Open enough for sun, partly between trees for shelter. La Tania has been lively enough for me but it remains to be seen what apres activities are like anywhere next season.

Tignes/Val D'Isere is my favourite ski area overall. They've made big efforts to be more beginner and family friendly in recent years, eg up on top of the Solaise/Madeleine area. But in midwinter, on poor visibility days, it can still be a treeless, gale swept, intimidating place. So can anywhere in the Alps, but it's just about playing the percentages and, in my opinion, prioritising the needs of the less experienced.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go with Tignes. At that time of year I think the altitude Tignes provides would be a positive. In terms of beginners, I'm pretty sure I did my second ever week in Tignes and I think my wife did her's there without any problems. I would suggest a good ski school would be key for the beginners. New Generation has served us well in the past and I think my wife used Evolution 2 in Tignes before and had a good experience. For me, another positive for Tignes is the abundance of self catering accommodation (we prefer to self cater) in the villages that are very convenient for the lifts and ski schools. That can make life easier for beginners. For more experienced skiers there is a vast array of terrain and Val D as well. Which village in Tignes have you reserved the accommodation for?

Courchevel 1650 would also get the thumbs up from me. Pretty good for beginners (again i'd recommend New Generation). Courchevel 1550 worth a look too if you can find some cheaper accommodation. Very easy to get to Courchevel 1850 from there and then on to Meribel more experienced. Apres probably fairly limited in Courcehevel but others would have a better handle on that than me. Les Arcs definitely worth a look too if you can find suitable accommodation.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally, I wouldn't touch Tignes with the beginners. Place is bleak on a snowy, cold day.
The La Tania advice from people is sound - nice and you have loads of trees on a white day.
Les Arcs 1800 would be another good choice and under-rated night-life wise
Alpe d'Huez has the best piste balance of all resorts for a mixed party - but whilst I love it, it still has a lack of trees, which means the beginners could chuck it in and head to the bar
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Although Tignes is my favourite resort and there’s sufficient for your beginners, my knee-jerk reaction to the Lyon destination was to go for Alpe d’Huez - 2 hr transfer from Lyon vs <3 hrs for Tignes. South-facing Folie.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy