Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

P&V residences in Paradiski

Poster: A snowHead
Hello - currently looking to book for Christmas / NY for our family of 4 ( kids aged 7,11) and potentially considering Les Arcs or possibly La Plagne too ( also looking into Cervinia) . I want to try booking P&V this time ( they have option to book more than 7 days and free cancellation which appeals in the current climate). There seems to be quite a few options in paradiski - some are P&V premium abs some are not and prices differ considerably

The best one seems to be Les Arc 1950 which is considerably more expensive. Is it worth paying extra for? Or any other residences are recommended

Also if we did go for Les Arc 1950 there are more expensive buildings which offer access to the indoor pool vs some that do not. Pool would be good for kids, but we could get a 2 bedroom apartment in the cheaper building for the same price that a 1 bedroom in the expensive one. Is 1 bedroom really too tiny for a family of 4 ( given that our kids as still relatively small)?

Any further insights appreciated - have not done P&V or indeed SC in France before
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bella2015, P&V is what I call corporate SC - it's a bit more expensive than agency/private lets but it's standard/reliable fair. TBH I haven't used them for years because I'd rather not spend the extra and kind of like working direct with agencies/owners, bit more personal you might say. And for example, quite often you can get access early to the apartment where as companies like P&V tend to just stick to the rules. I was forced (long story) to use Odalys 4/5 years ago (Tignes) and that was awful so I would be avoiding them even if using one of the big companies again.

Specifically I believe 1950 is more expensive than the other stations in Les Arcs or indeed La Plagne but it is a nice set up/location and so many are happy to pay a bit extra.

Swimming pools are a bit of a funny one for me. We've never really sought them out. A couple of times I've had one (Les Menuires, Les Contamines) in the building and when we stayed in Tignes we went to the big place with slides. But honestly, it's never gone been a big deal and we don't hanker for it when we don't have access to one, which is most of the time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have used P&V in Belle Plagne but not for some time, and also the newer P&V in Serre Chevalier on a couple of occasions before we got our apartment. Rent the largest one you can afford. They can be small.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne, thank you
Any agencies you can recommend? Have written to a few but no response so far… also want flexibility of cancellation given the current uncertainty
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bella2015, now some time since i went skiing with kids same age as yours, but:
1. Kids tend to think there is more to skiing holiday than just skiing, and mine certainly enjoyed time in pool at end of the day.
2. Do you know the floor space of the various apartments - some can be VERY small.
3. Do you want some quiet down-time with your partner once kids in bed? The go for two bedrooms.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, thank you. Have heard but also maybe it is different for different residencies…
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bella2015, If a pool for kids as opposed to swimming is important to you then the Mile8 at arc 1800 is the place to be (https://en.lesarcs.com/swimming-pool.html).

Quote:

Is 1 bedroom really too tiny for a family of 4 ( given that our kids as still relatively small)?

Check the size of the apartment, not the number of bedrooms. Some families are happy enough with a studio, but you may want a single room you can put the children in and forget about them until the morning. Sleep in the lounge. It will have no other use during the night. Personnaly i'd go for a bigger lounge area rather than a second tiny bedroom.

SC is the main way people ski in France and the resorts are well set up for it. It is easy and conveinent. Old hands at it on this forum have lots of useful advice such as take a sharp knife with you, the ones in the apartment are invariably blunt, small containers of herbs and spices and even do a big shop in the valley before heading up the hill to save a couple of euros.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bella2015 wrote:
@Layne, thank you
Any agencies you can recommend? Have written to a few but no response so far… also want flexibility of cancellation given the current uncertainty

First port of call for me is the official tourist information website. They differ a little bit but they usually have some way of searching/booking. So La Plagne as one which I've used numerous times. When you book online IME it always effectively goes through to an agency who deal with you direct from then on. I think last time the resort website had changed so I dealt with the agencies direct. Oz-en-Oisan (ADH) had a list of private owners and you just email/phone around. When I did this 17/18 years ago I got one dealing direct with the owner and used the same guy/place a couple times more (even met him once). Les Menuires there was a search facility and then I sent message and dealt with the owner. And so on.

This is the resort search for Les Arcs

https://en.lesarcs.com/ski-accommodation-les-arcs/apartment.html

I've not used it because I always stay on the La Plagne side in Les Coches. But I'm sure it operates in a similar way.

The main agencies I've dealt with in Les Coches=Montchavin are "Agence GSI Immobilier" and "Agence Immobilier des Glaciers", Googling "immobilier les arcs" I see GSI have an office in Les Arcs. Maybe also look at this one https://www.cis-immobilier.com/locations-immobilieres/

The agency staff usually speak English. Any questions on the process, etc. feel free to ask.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, thank you so much for such a detailed response! Very helpful!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bella2015 wrote:
The best one seems to be Les Arc 1950 which is considerably more expensive. Is it worth paying extra for?

Arc 1950 was purpose built by Intrawest about 15 years ago. It's very much in the style of a North American ski resort (think Whistler, Winter Park, Mont Tremblant which were all owned/developed by them at the time) rather than traditional Alps and as a general rule the apartments are definitely bigger than most other P&V places. When the blurb says it's unique in Europe, it is. Some liken it to Disneyland on snow but that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you've got kids. I guess it depends if you want an "authentic" French skiing experience or just convenience. It certainly wins on the convenience front.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Raceplate, thank you. I haven’t been to American resorts and l am really after convenience. So what makes it more convenient than other p&v options. Is it locations or extras like pool etc?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bella2015, been a while since I've skied into there but from memory the centre is fully pedestrianised, all the apartment blocks are around the outside of the pedestrian area with all the shops and restaurants underneath the blocks. All car parking is underground beneath the resort. There are several ways in and out on skis so there's not really any blockages or queues to get anywhere and the centre's all on the same level so no hills to walk up and down. It's a bit like living above a modern (North American) shopping mall or outlet park where everything you want is within a 100m walk.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bella2015, I tell a lie, it's not completely flat - there are some steps between different levels. Try this Google Earth link: https://earth.google.com/web/@45.5721865,6.8284244,2056.17565798a,0d,60y,173.91901968h,88.70464179t,0r/data=IjAKLEFGMVFpcE1CVGVxaF9BcWpWY2N4WS14d1llSXlaeU16SHZYTWNKcy1zNnZ2EAU
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bella2015, if a self-catering apartment in Les Arcs is on your short list, take a look at MyFrenchChalet.com. They manage a few privately owned apartments in the same residence as my apartment in Arc 1800, and this winter I think they have some apartments in Arc 1950. I know MFC pretty well so happy to recommend them, although I have no financial interest there.

I have an apartment in Arc 1800 which would be suitable for your family, but it’s not available over Christmas and NY. If you are looking for any other dates please let me know.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ve stayed here three or four times just next to the funicular in Arcs 1600 - decent accommodation, and a pool and jacuzzi for reasonable prices. They do one bedroom+alcove with bunk beds which my kids loved at that age.

https://www.lagrange-holidays.co.uk/holidays-rental-sea-mountain,accommodation-alps-savoie,les-arcs-1600-ARC160-L-FACE-residence.html#.YUTX1y14WhAresidenceresidence
ski holidays
@Pejoli, @rob@rar, @Raceplate, @johnE, thank you for all the info… digesting it all and doing some research
snow report
Its been maybe 6/7 years ago but we have lovely two stays at Les Hameau du Glacier and its adjoining neighbour (forgotten name) with the 2 kids around 10-12 ish and they still talk about it now. We had the one bed first years and two bed second year - two bed was better as lounge was tiny and sofa bed is a faff. At half term so really expensive but got it a little cheaper by finding them privately on SC websites rather than via P&V. The half indoor half outdoor pool and outdoor jacuzzi really made it and the inter-connected buildings including the bridge over one of the pistes made pool access indoor possible. The other thing that was great was free events on every night eg mulled wine marshmallows fire eating displays fashion parades and torchlight descents - all free if i remember as local hotel community pay for these. Makes 1950 feel exclusive. Of course its ski in ski out with a locker and there is a supermarket and bakery. Also underground carpark. Certainly very pleasant. This xmas ive gone cheap with a place in 1600 but I kind of wish I looked for bargains in 1950 during the height of covid. Apparently cheaper in 2000 so another option and the lift to 1950 is open late so I guess you can gatecrash the evening entertainments but no pool. Am hoping to try out the Mille8 1800 pool this xmas.
snow conditions
Its been maybe 6/7 years ago but we have lovely two stays at Les Hameau du Glacier and its adjoining neighbour (forgotten name) with the 2 kids around 10-12 ish and they still talk about it now. We had the one bed first years and two bed second year - two bed was better as lounge was tiny and sofa bed is a faff. At half term so really expensive but got it a little cheaper by finding them privately on SC websites rather than via P&V. The half indoor half outdoor pool and outdoor jacuzzi really made it and the inter-connected buildings including the bridge over one of the pistes made pool access indoor possible. The other thing that was great was free events on every night eg mulled wine marshmallows fire eating displays fashion parades and torchlight descents - all free if i remember as local hotel community pay for these. Makes 1950 feel exclusive. Of course its ski in ski out with a locker and there is a supermarket and bakery. Also underground carpark. Certainly very pleasant. This xmas ive gone cheap with a place in 1600 but I kind of wish I looked for bargains in 1950 during the height of covid. Apparently cheaper in 2000 so another option and the lift to 1950 is open late so I guess you can gatecrash the evening entertainments but no pool. Am hoping to try out the Mille8 1800 pool this xmas.
ski holidays
ski holidays
@lazyskier, yes , pool and entertainment would be a winner for my kids too. They are used to go with their friends but this year we are going just as a family hence would be nice to keep them entertained.
What SC did you used to look for private booking. Because P&V really is expensive? Thank you
ski holidays
@lazyskier, I look forward to seeing you in 1600 over Christmas. I'll be there. Where are you staying and do you fancy a drink in the Abrevoir one evening?
snow conditions
@Bella2015, If you go to the Arc1950 website, you'll see links to both PV and private owners in the resort. Some will be a bit cheaper since they use PV to set their prices ( and then discount a bit): but there are those that have invested significantly in upgrading the apartment to something very special, and will price accordingly.

@lazyskier, the free street entertainment is actually paid for by us apartment owners and the commercants, but as you say, the effect is what we're all after, which is word of mouth advertising and returning business.
I've got friends I've brought to 1950, who now are reluctant to go anywhere else.

I'm currently accessing s-heads by phone as I'm away, but if you have any questions, please dm me and I'll try to get back asap.
latest report
@Arctic Roll, thank you. Yes l have already contacted some owners directly and some do offer a discount vs P&V price but considerably less flexibility in terms of cancellation etc.
P&V currently offering free cancellation now until mid November for Christmas week… a little scary to book without flexibility given the uncertainty we live in with all this ever changing travel rules… but l guess private owners also can’t afford to match P&V booking conditions
latest report
@Bella2015, Under what circumstances will be cancelling before mid-November. If it's Covid you are thinking I'd suggest it's going to be much closer to the holiday that you find out you can't go. For non-Covid just take out insurance to cover it.
snow conditions
@Layne, hmmm … a lot can happen between now and November with the current ever changing rules . For instance if France suddenly decided that unvaccinated kids have to quarantine on arrival or can’t travel at all even with vaccinated parents .. we wouldn’t be able to go
ski holidays
I've stayed at P&V in 1950. Very nice but nothing special. 1950 is pretty. Have you considered Avoriaz? There is a tropical pool there for the kids and loads of ski in ski out accommodation (inc P&V)

https://www.avoriaz.com/en/winter/activities-agenda/to-discover/aquariaz/
snow conditions
Try looking on AirBnB or Booking.com etc. There have a number of options from private owners all over Les Arc - including 1950. I’ve booked a better equipped and more modern place in 1950 for mid March, for much less than P&V charge.

Avoriaz is a great option for the kids. The AquaPool has slides etc and also the resort is closer to an airport (Geneva) and the U.K. - if your selfdriving.
snow report
Only time we've done it was c 10 years ago. V impressed. In 1800 not 1950. Pool great. They provided 6 dishwasher tabs, washing up liquid. We didn't realize that you can order croissets/bread for the morning, and things like lasagne for the evening. Try reception.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy