Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Super budget skiing ideas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Did some research on BA avios points, it looks like following:
- you need to have 8500 avios to get a free reward flight
- reward flights are Gatwick/Heathrow, and number of places are limited
- avios and nectar (Sainsbury) now linked. the conversion rate is 1:2, so you get 1000 avios from 2000 nectar, there is an offer right now, +250avios when first 2000 converted. Which means need to collect 17000 nectar points for a free flight. Thats a lot of points tbh, but there are lots of offers with nectar, but looks like Sainsbury stopped nectar offers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ed48 wrote:
Did some research on BA avios points, it looks like following:
- you need to have 8500 avios to get a free reward flight
- reward flights are Gatwick/Heathrow, and number of places are limited
- avios and nectar (Sainsbury) now linked. the conversion rate is 1:2, so you get 1000 avios from 2000 nectar, there is an offer right now, +250avios when first 2000 converted. Which means need to collect 17000 nectar points for a free flight. Thats a lot of points tbh, but there are lots of offers with nectar, but looks like Sainsbury stopped nectar offers.

They are not free, you still pay taxes... Best way to use avios is to use them as cabin upgrades. Avios are not limited to BA - there are lots of partners. Flying to Europe is a waste of Avios.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ed48 wrote:
mikeycharlton wrote:
Puy St Vincent, end of March. £256 for lift pass and accommodation.

That's nice deal. I guess the big question is snow conditions, which depends on how the season will be going. I've been skiing in Serr Che and ViaLatteaa, conditions are very variable.
Also I think link bus is not going to this part.

It probably worth getting a car and explore this area, ie Vars, Orres etc. Spending one week for a one run on top will be challenging.

Snow depths will have been accumulating throughout the previous 3/4 months, and are likely to peak (on average) sometime in the first couple of weeks in March. So there's not going to be a lack of snow on the pistes at the end of March. Sure it might be a bit soft in the afternoon, but >50% of the pistes are above 2000m.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr.Egg wrote:

They are not free, you still pay taxes... Best way to use avios is to use them as cabin upgrades. Avios are not limited to BA - there are lots of partners. Flying to Europe is a waste of Avios.

This is incorrect/years out of date, you have a choice of how many Avios to use, and the cash/taxes element can be reduced to £1.

Flying to Europe can be the single most efficient use of avios, it’s possible to get 10p/point of value which is better than almost all alternative uses.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
French Pyrenees gives good value, esp in peak dates as Toulouse flights no where near as popular as GVA and main gateways
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ed48,

These folks have some super-cheap all-in deals. Especially if you are prepared to have 4 people in a studio flat!

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/

Often accommodation, flights, transfers and ski-pass are all included; and you can add cheap ski-hire etc. You can pop your date in, and then sort by price.

But do check the accommodation reviews on Trustpilot, as some of them are a bit ropey. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quite some years ago, I once hitch hiked to Chamonix (One lift from the M25 to the Mont Blanc Tunnel entrance Cool ) and booked into the youth hostel for a couple of nights to check out whether there was any decent skiing nearby Confused
Having established there was (funnily enough rolling eyes ), I tried to book in for a week, only to find they were full.
I went out for the evening and met a guy from Leeds who offered me a bed in his shoebox apart, with 3 others for 100 Francs. It was available for a week while one of the occupants went home.
Having access to various letters 'proving' we were based/living/working in CMX, we got our lift passes at child rates.
Crossing the Channel was done on a day return in each direction as they were cheaper than singles, weirdly.

I had my own boots although I did have to hire skis - I skied about 6 or 7 days out of the 10 that I was in town and I think I was down about £200 all-in by the time I got home snowHead

...sorry, I realise there's probably not much about that model that extrapolates to today's market (or to grown-ups.) but just wanted to boast about one of my skiing-on-a-shoestring experiences Embarassed

Thanks for flagging the bashes, guys... I'd say, the PSB and the EoSB a pretty equally matched value-wise and IMO hard to beat.
I am aware that it is possible to do things a little cheaper but any alternatives I've seen seem to, at best, lose a lot of value for a small cost saving eg. 4 people sharing a self-catered studio saving 50€ ea, compared to twin rooms, ski in/out, spa facilities and having your dinner made.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My first ski trip was by bus (around 1990) £149 for adults & £49 for kids - but 1st kid goes free. Stayed in a lovely pension in Soll. Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @ed48,
The cheapest Ski holiday I ever had was many years ago when the was about 9DM to the £ and we wore bell bottom jeans.
We had 3 glorious weeks up a hill above Damuls in an old farmhouse called Bömert Haus.
There was no hot water unless you heated it on the stove and there were a bunch of smelly cows on the ground floor.
There were 28 of us from some German youth Club. (If you know what I mean)
We did not buy a lift pass, someone had a “Punkt Card” and we borrowed some skis that had the steel edges screwed in sections along the skis except where they had broken off under the foot part.
We had leather boots and bindings which were called “safety binding” .
Anyway we loved it .. 28 teenagers sleeping 10 or so to a room in sleeping bags on the floor.
Total cost for 3 weeks for myself and my girlfriend was £105.
We hitch hiked from Royston roundabout to Darmstadt and were put up by my friend's parents for about a week before Christmas.
It was magical.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi @admin,
Hitch Hiking is the best way to travel .. that M25 must be that new road around London?

I did hitch hike down to Damuls again a couple of years later, I left boxing day evening from Royston roundabout again.
Hitched to Harwich port and started Hitching again from Hoek van Holland.
I think I got to Ulm with my first lift and then managed to get a rendezvous at a cafe in Damuuls by 2pm the next afternoon.
I had sent a telegram to my chums saying that I would be there at that time, but they could not believe that I was there before them.
I only stayed 3 days and had to get back to work.
I got one lift from down in the valley to Bonn and another to Den Hague but it was about 11pm at night and I had to walk most of the way to the Hook.

I've been to Damuls a couple of times since its just beautiful .. like so many places in Austria.
That first time we went (in the post above) there was not too much snow, we were able to walk up from the village.
A few of the crew got there before us by car and had carried a reel to reel tape deck and a pair of big speakers up the hill to the house.
As we arrived up through the woods to the "piste" below the house the valley was filled with the sound of "Lucky Man" (Emerson Lake & Palmer) echoing off the mountains on the other side.
Those were the days.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy