Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goretex stretch?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

After a couple years of not skiing due to having a young family I've finally booked to go skiing start of Feb with some friends.

I've now started looking at some new kit after previously skiing in a goretex pro ME jacket and pants. I remember last year trying on an arcteryx c-knit stretch shell which felt great but was wondering how it stacked up to goretex Pro in real world conditions? Is it worth the money or would a softshell be more suitable? I'm not a huge fan of skiing in a noisy, crinkly shell if possible.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tomb, not an answer to your direct question but I acquired a Stellar jacket last year and I don't find it crinkly at all. A lot better value n the limited 40? day's use so far.

But I am very used to ordinary hard shells.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm looking for a new hard shell at the moment, and am a big fan of the (typically) better fit and feel you get with stretch. I haven't found much that's both Goretex, stretch and relatively affordable. I started to look at some other systems/brands and have ordered a few items and sent back - so far I prefer the feel of the non-goretex stuff as the 3L goretex always seems to be crinkly.

As above, Stellar was one of the brands I'm interested in trying next - I'm just an awkward size at the moment (thanks lockdown) so trying to find something the right fit Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The black diamond stretch shells are nice. Bought one this year, have used for about 20 days, very light and lacks up small but seems durable so far.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Over the seasons I've gone from Medium through Small and arrived at Extra Small a few seasons back.
Each season standard Gore-Tex 3L jackets get baggier, so I'm interested in any slim fitting jackets designed for ordinary shaped people ....

Any other recommendations of brands/ models?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I used Paramo stuff for skiing for a good long while. Loved it. It's a soft fabric that holds waterproofing really well and works via hydrophobic wax rather than a membrane. Very breathable. No noises. Loved it. Sadly eventually died but probably best coat ever.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@motdoc, I had a paramo pullover style I used for years and even in goals at football when pissing with rain.

I'd say for a jacket it is good but I would not have use Paramo for trousers because I want a physical barrier to stop my bum getting wet. I also had Paramo trousers.@Scottland, have a look at Patagonia powderbowl jackets for that lockdown body where your waist doesn't go in anymore but sticks out. Happy I have one. Happy

@tomb, If you are in resort and on piste, I wouldn't be too worried about the tech spec as long as a jacket is comfortable, breathable and shower proof. Think how often you will ski in the rain.

If you ski hard get the most breathable. If you ski like most people then something comfortable would be best.

If you get cold then insulation (I prefer layers myself) is a thought. I always found Paramo to be warm.

Tiso have a lot of stuff on sale just now.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GlasgowCyclops, thanks I was looking at a couple of Patagonia jackets already. Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, Thanks for the recommendation... I'd never heard of Stellar but I'm very tempted to place an order! How does the stellar shell stack up against a goretex shell for breathability and protection in the real world?

@Scottland, Same, i've been through a few systems myself. I've got a bunch of Buffalo gear which I love for hiking but not sure if it would be durable enough to ski in.

@hang11, Good shout also, I've had a few Black-diamond items and they've always been top quality!

@motdoc, Funnily enough I was looking at Paramo shell in my local gooutdoors this week.... Similar to my buffalo gear, I wondered how durable it would be for skiing?

@GlasgowCyclops, Good point and in all fairness most of my skiing has been in no-membrane softshell by Rab. I was thinking of investing in a decent hardshell to double up as a good rain jacket when at home but maybe a new softshell is the way to go!

Thanks everyone Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scottland wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, thanks I was looking at a couple of Patagonia jackets already. Cool

This is the one I have
https://www.tiso.com/apjku5bl0042/patagonia-powder-bowl-jacket-hot-ember
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a self-confessed Jacaholic, like some women do handbags/shoes I tend to do jackets and trousers Laughing

My favourite pair of bad weather ski pants (bibs) are Outdoor Research Hemisphere to which Powder Magazine was so impressed that it even created an award for the kit, dubbing the Hemispheres Apparel of the Year. GORE-TEX Fabric with Stretch Technology uses alternating waterproof stretch panels that enhance movement in key areas unlike what any hard shell has ever done before.

And where that stretch goretex works so well is in the crutch when kick turning on the steeps in deep snow!

Good weather pants I always try to go for a stretch material.

I've just taken delivery of a RAB Khroma Kinetic Jacket, as their marketing blurb says....

The perfect 'soft' hardshell using tough new woven proflex fabric, our most breathable and flexible, yet truly waterproof ski jacket. When you need one system to do it all from day tours to technical ski mountaineering this is it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tomb, Paramo - or at least the stuff they made about a decade ago - is very durable for skiing (and also winter mountaineering). I used Paramo Aspira and Velez Adventure Light tops for years for all my autumn/ winter/ spring fun whether winter climbing, general mountaineering, skiing, touring etc and they had no issues. My wife continues to use these. However neither of us have bought any Paramo since 2012 or so, so no idea whether the current range is similar.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why do people go to such extremes as insisting that they ski in a waterproof jacket, do many people here ski in the rain? Or maybe that's not enough and we should all be skiing/boarding in wetsuits.

FRESH RUBBER! from Plus M Productions
https://vimeo.com/184124850
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a Halti Stretch Jacket and its great. I wouldn't go back to non-stretch by preference now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey @tomb

in terms of C-Knit vs Pro- it probably depends on your use. C-knit feels more comfortable as it's designed for flexibility and comfort, with the same great water-proofing that Goretex is famous for. Gore Pro is designed to be far more abrasion resistant and harder wearing, which is why it feels a bit more 'crinkly' when you wear it. The pro has a different backer to it, as well as using only the harder materials in it's outer layer which is why it's light, breathable and extremely durable.

If you're out with the kids and just cruising around the mountain then C-knit is probably all you need. If you're wearing a back pack and off touring or heading into the back country then perhaps think about upgrading to Pro. Arc'teryx make great product and their customer service is brilliant, but you pay for it!!!

Good luck!
snow report
Thanks for recommendation all....

I'm currently thinking of getting a pair of Stellar M free shell bib pants and an arcteryx procline softshell. Anyone had any experience with the procline? https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/procline-jacket
snow conditions
I wasn’t impressed with the Stellar pants I bought last year and sent them back. They were poorer in ever way than the Norrona Lofoten GTX pants I’m now on my 3rd pair of. On a budget I’d be getting some Elevenate stuff off Sports Pursuit if I was shopping now. I bought the baby blue BdR GTX kit for my wife last year and got some ski touring pants and insulated puffa style stuff for myself from them and it’s excellent quality and a bargain at these prices.
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2207386
snow report
I wear a flannel shirt with merino base layer 80% of the time inbounds Does the job fine. If the weathers crap I don’t go Happy super cheap and ultra stylish Happy

The technical stuff gets used for touring, heli, or making the most of a clearing storm inbounds. It’s usually worth having then.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
.....On a budget I’d be getting some Elevenate stuff off Sports Pursuit if I was shopping now.... and got some ski touring pants.....

Yes Elevenate is great gear, the Mrs lurves it, though I bought the touring pants, and whilst lovely super stretchy material I was flabbergasted to find no side venting zips!

And good to see that both my new RAB and Outdoor Research jacket have ample sized mesh inside pockets to store skins, which makes for uber quick transitions!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy